Before Pops

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
Ske7ch

Before Pops

Postby Ske7ch » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:22 pm

So I've seen a couple of posts here and there about people saying that Wobblers don't sell for the same amount that they used to before Pops came along. I'm just curious if it's true or not, I've seen Wobblers for pretty cheap so did they really go for higher prices before Pops? Or did they ever reach the same value of some Pops nowadays?

What are some examples of high valued Wobblers from back then?

Just call me Manny

ISO Metallic Chase Riddler & Penguin

ImageImage

Milotti

Re: Before Pops

Postby Milotti » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:42 pm

I'm curious about this too. But there's still some wobblers that go for a lot even right now, like the Oogie Boogie one! I remember wanting to buy it and putting it on my wishlist when it was $10...now the price tag has put me off of getting any of the NBC wobblers, sadly, since the set won't be complete. But yeah, I guess that one's an exception. I managed to get all my Monsters University for cheap even though they've been out for a few years and are probably vaulted.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Yes. Some wobblers sold for big bucks back in their day and now...not so much. But Funko's also a much larger company today with a much higher profile. Comparing wobblers to pops is apples and oranges.

Even though I've been collecting for over a decade, I was mostly a dabbler for the first couple of years I was on the board. Lefty Lime, Gray Beatnik and Snowbird are the ones that I remember. Folks like Ron, Carol, Kevin, and Cory can tell you a lot more about them than I can.

If you're wondering that maybe the same fate awaits pops, the answer is 'yes'.
Funklub: 11181

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Squird wrote:Yes. Some wobblers sold for big bucks back in their day and now...not so much. But Funko's also a much larger company today with a much higher profile. Comparing wobblers to pops is apples and oranges.

Even though I've been collecting for over a decade, I was mostly a dabbler for the first couple of years I was on the board. Lefty Lime, Gray Beatnik and Snowbird are the ones that I remember. Folks like Ron, Carol, Kevin, and Cory can tell you a lot more about them than I can.

If you're wondering that maybe the same fate awaits pops, the answer is 'yes'.

That's why I ask lol

I can see the same thing happening to Pops once a more popular Funko product rolls along.

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

Milotti

Postby Milotti » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Who knows, with all the new lines Funko's been developing it may start happening soon. I'm really interested in what would replace them in popularity.

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:51 pm

On the other hand I think Pops are a lot more popular than Wobblers ever were so who knows what happens.

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:07 pm

I just paid big bucks for my Freddy Freddy 1/48 Wobbler. There are some still "worth" the big bucks, and some that aren't worth much at all. Example being the SDCC Metallic Skeletor that I picked up from Gemini ON CLEARANCE for less than 20 bucks. :dontknow:

Oh, and the next "big thing" is Dorbz. They will replace POPs in the near future. The demand is already starting to rise for them.

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Dorbz? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

Milotti

Postby Milotti » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:18 pm

Ske7ch wrote:Dorbz? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's no doubt what some Wacky Wobbler fans thought about Pops haha. I've been wagering with myself whether the new wobblers could possibly be the "next big thing," but it's true that the Dorbz reception has been pretty good.

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Milotti wrote:

That's no doubt what some Wacky Wobbler fans thought about Pops haha. I've been wagering with myself whether the new wobblers could possibly be the "next big thing," but it's true that the Dorbz reception has been pretty good.

I would love to know the opinions of collectors here on what they thought about Pops when they started to be released lol

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:58 pm

The more Wobbler's I got, the more I realized how much I truly love their look and their style. Some still keep a high price tag though..I saw a Super Freddy Wobbler sale for a hefty price tag not too long ago. If some of those extremely limited ones went up, I'm sure some major cash would be thrown down.... ;-)

Interest in Dorbz has also risen for me as well, especially as I wait for the Scooby Doo line lol
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:37 pm

thejosh2010 wrote:The more Wobbler's I got, the more I realized how much I truly love their look and their style. Some still keep a high price tag though..I saw a Super Freddy Wobbler sale for a hefty price tag not too long ago. If some of those extremely limited ones went up, I'm sure some major cash would be thrown down.... ;-)

Interest in Dorbz has also risen for me as well, especially as I wait for the Scooby Doo line lol

I want a couple of crystal wobbler lol

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

emk194

Postby emk194 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:46 am

I'm not particularly a bobble-head fan, but there are some Wobblers I'd like to get (Jughead!!! <3). I've definitely hopped onto the Dorbz bandwagon. They're just so darn... adorable!

And yes, I'd also like to know what Wobbler fans first thought of Pops. :)
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:23 am

Would also like to know which are those Wobblers that are still very sought after.

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:45 am

Milotti wrote:

I just can't get into those new style Wobblers. It's too childish/cartoonish and reminds me of those Monster High School dolls. Like that Princess Leia is 100% one of those dolls.

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:46 am

Ske7ch wrote:
thejosh2010 wrote:The more Wobbler's I got, the more I realized how much I truly love their look and their style. Some still keep a high price tag though..I saw a Super Freddy Wobbler sale for a hefty price tag not too long ago. If some of those extremely limited ones went up, I'm sure some major cash would be thrown down.... ;-)

I want a couple of crystal wobbler lol

The only ones I have are the cereal monsters and two Wild Bill. And those cereal monsters are heeeeeeaaaaavvvvvyyyyy

Squird

Postby Squird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:00 am

poppetmaster wrote:
Oh, and the next "big thing" is Dorbz. They will replace POPs in the near future. The demand is already starting to rise for them.

I think so, too.

Squird

Postby Squird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:09 am

Ske7ch wrote:
Milotti wrote:

I would love to know the opinions of collectors here on what they thought about Pops when they started to be released lol

The same thing pop collectors say about Dorbz. Too cute, limited platform, terrible pose, the dead eyes, obnoxious collectors (you haven't said that last one yet, but wait for it).

I thought they were neat. I still do, but they don't hold my attention like Spastiks, Wobblers and now Dorbz. They were certainly an improvement of Funko Force, that all looked constipated.

Rock Candy and the new Wobblers definitely have a Bratz/Monster High/any doll that's not a Barbie feel to them. I hope they look more like the two Star Wars figures Funko did for Vans a couple years ago. See if you can find images of Vader and Fett. Vader is one of my favorite Funko pieces of all time.

Milotti

Postby Milotti » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:49 am

Squird wrote:
poppetmaster wrote:

I think so, too.

I guess now's the time for everyone to decide if they're on board or not, then. I like Dorbz for their little smiles, but there aren't many out yet that I want to buy. But I know that'll change soon as they start releasing more.

And as for the new Wobblers, I don't exactly have a problem with the Monster High vibes--I've never been a doll girl or collected dolls, but I do think Monster High dolls look interesting, especially the multi-limbed, two-headed ones. But on the other hand, I love the details of the old wobblers. Just compare the Rey Wacky Wobbler's face to her face on the new one. The old one just looked so individual, with the lines, the shape of the nose and lips, and I like how the eyes are more realistic. The one thing I do like about the new wobblers is that the heads are more proportional; I know some people may prefer the massive, long head look but I think it looks bad on some of the human characters. And as much as I like Toy Story, I never liked the look of their Wacky Wobblers.

kroffty
Hall of Fame Class of 2013
Hall of Fame Class of 2013

Postby kroffty » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:01 am

There are some Wobblers that will continue to remain high(er) such as the limited edition Pez line, low numbered FunDays pieces, and many of the Freddys, even though they may not be at the peak prices from a few years ago.

icemanfan44
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby icemanfan44 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:14 am

some higher value wobblers were limited runs or chases or both. 1/12 Freddy chases. 1/6 Pez wobblers and the like

They Call me Bear!
COTM 5/12

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:23 am

Milotti wrote:
Squird wrote:
poppetmaster wrote:

I think so, too.

I guess now's the time for everyone to decide if they're on board or not, then. I like Dorbz for their little smiles, but there aren't many out yet that I want to buy. But I know that'll change soon as they start releasing more.

And as for the new Wobblers, I don't exactly have a problem with the Monster High vibes--I've never been a doll girl or collected dolls, but I do think Monster High dolls look interesting, especially the multi-limbed, two-headed ones. But on the other hand, I love the details of the old wobblers. Just compare the Rey Wacky Wobbler's face to her face on the new one. The old one just looked so individual, with the lines, the shape of the nose and lips, and I like how the eyes are more realistic. The one thing I do like about the new wobblers is that the heads are more proportional; I know some people may prefer the massive, long head look but I think it looks bad on some of the human characters. And as much as I like Toy Story, I never liked the look of their Wacky Wobblers.

I cant get into Dorbz, but I know I better start forcing myself to like them. Seeing the craziness ensue over that metallic Maleficent, and the chase Dorbz now and some of the other pieces that are being bumped in price. POPs are at their peak right now I believe. Give it another year maybe before the decline starts. Then again who knows, maybe itll continue to blow up for a while longer before the big burst.

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:14 pm

poppetmaster wrote:
Milotti wrote:
Squird wrote:
I think so, too.

I cant get into Dorbz, but I know I better start forcing myself to like them. Seeing the craziness ensue over that metallic Maleficent, and the chase Dorbz now and some of the other pieces that are being bumped in price. POPs are at their peak right now I believe. Give it another year maybe before the decline starts. Then again who knows, maybe itll continue to blow up for a while longer before the big burst.

I mean like I said on the other I believe Pops are waaaaay more Popular than Wobblers were correct me if I'm wrong, so who knows what happens. Today a saw a Target Batman dorb sell for $100...I couldn't believe it lol

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Ske7ch wrote:
poppetmaster wrote:
Milotti wrote:

I mean like I said on the other I believe Pops are waaaaay more Popular than Wobblers were correct me if I'm wrong, so who knows what happens. Today a saw a Target Batman dorb sell for $100...I couldn't believe it lol

Well those ECCC Dorbz are still selling for a lot. That chrome Batmobile was selling for 160+ when ECCC was still going on. I think that Freddy Dorbz was around 200+ as well. FOR A DORBZ. Come on people.

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:20 pm

poppetmaster wrote:
Ske7ch wrote:
poppetmaster wrote:

Well those ECCC Dorbz are still selling for a lot. That chrome Batmobile was selling for 160+ when ECCC was still going on. I think that Freddy Dorbz was around 200+ as well. FOR A DORBZ. Come on people.

It has begun...

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:21 pm

icemanfan44 wrote:some higher value wobblers were limited runs or chases or both. 1/12 Freddy chases. 1/6 Pez wobblers and the like

Those are awesome, how much do some of those sell for?

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Ske7ch wrote:Those are awesome, how much do some of those sell for?

Last edited by poppetmaster on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:08 pm

poppetmaster wrote:
Ske7ch wrote:Those are awesome, how much do some of those sell for?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/76/762195e1 ... b6011f.jpg

I figured :-k :-k :-k

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Milotti wrote:

Bahahahahaha just let the dark side envelop you :D
Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

Alleycat
HoF 2008 & CotY
HoF 2008 & CotY

Postby Alleycat » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:31 pm

Just a brief response by someone has ridden the wobbler wave. Wacky Wobblers never reached anywhere the worldwide popularity that Pop!s have. The distribution was on a much smaller scale, and the community of Funatics who bought them and loved them was much smaller as well. There was a year just as Pop!s were being introduced that Brian asked some of us to do what we could to spread the word to get enough folks at Fundays to justify renting a hall and hiring caterers (those who attended that Funday were well rewarded with tons of Freddys and other goodies).

As for values, I recall when some of the more desirable wobblers were selling for well over $300 - $500 !! Such as Snowbird, Outback Kangaroo..... These were not very limited as compared to some that brother Bear has pictured above. But most of us were not looking at wobblers as either investments or as something to try to make a quick buck by flipping. We just wanted to add to our collections and to help others do the same.

Here's Funday 2008...

At the SDCC Funko booth one could hear crickets chirping...

Craig here......

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:52 pm

I might actually enjoy a small decline in pops when everyone isn't after what I want. So, enjoy your Dorbz....the last of the pops will be mine.....(Laughs maniacally)
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Alleycat wrote:Just a brief response by someone has ridden the wobbler wave. Wacky Wobblers never reached anywhere the worldwide popularity that Pop!s have. The distribution was on a much smaller scale, and the community of Funatics who bought them and loved them was much smaller as well. There was a year just as Pop!s were being introduced that Brian asked some of us to do what we could to spread the word to get enough folks at Fundays to justify renting a hall and hiring caterers (those who attended that Funday were well rewarded with tons of Freddys and other goodies).

As for values, I recall when some of the more desirable wobblers were selling for well over $300 - $500 !! Such as Snowbird, Outback Kangaroo..... These were not very limited as compared to some that brother Bear has pictured above. But most of us were not looking at wobblers as either investments or as something to try to make a quick buck by flipping. We just wanted to add to our collections and to help others do the same.

Here's Funday 2008...

At the SDCC Funko booth one could hear crickets chirping...

Look at how empty that booth is. If only it were like that at ECCC this year lol lol

Squird

Postby Squird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Milotti wrote:
Squird wrote:
poppetmaster wrote:

I think so, too.

You're free to get on or off board at any time. There's nothing magical about right now, unless you're going to make a run at completeism. If so, then yes, now would be a good time to start. Just looking at the Funko catalog, pretty much every new pop wave has a complementary Dorbz release. You can fall behind rather quickly.

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Squird wrote:
Milotti wrote:
Squird wrote:
I think so, too.

You're free to get on or off board at any time. There's nothing magical about right now, unless you're going to make a run at completeism. If so, then yes, now would be a good time to start. Just looking at the Funko catalog, pretty much every new pop wave has a complementary Dorbz release. You can fall behind rather quickly.

I am contemplating getting the DC villain Dorbz...maybe one day they will end up like the current DC villain POPs. Then again, Dorbz just don't appeal to me right now.

Squird

Postby Squird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:20 pm

And maybe they won't. There's so much stuff I could have gotten but walked away from because I didn't like them. No regrets on passing them up.

If I didn't like it at 10 bucks, I'm not going to suddenly LOVE it now that it's a hundred.

Ske7ch

Postby Ske7ch » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:16 am

Squird wrote:And maybe they won't. There's so much stuff I could have gotten but walked away from because I didn't like them. No regrets on passing them up.

If I didn't like it at 10 bucks, I'm not going to suddenly LOVE it now that it's a hundred

My thoughts exactly, if I buy something at $10 or at $500 it's simply because I like it enough to buy it.

Just call me Manny

ImageImage

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:01 am

Bear (icemanfan44), I was going to begin replying about which piece was my favorite but the pics kept on going and going...amazing pieces. Thanks for the OG Sundays pics Crag (Alleycat).
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

tlaloc666

Postby tlaloc666 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:37 am

You can also see from the pics of the sdcc 2008 how much people went to that event... I bet you that today you cannot make that pic possible....

Comic Cons are in their prime and that help a lot to the companies yo make more money and to get more fans.
Kyko here !!

Tik tok : @kyko_tj
Tijuana The Happiest Place on Earth !!

Funko events attended
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night
Fundays 2017
Premiere Making Fun
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
HQ Hollywood Opening 2019
ECCC VIrtual Con 2020
Summer Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2021
Funko Fright Night 2 NYC 2022

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:09 pm

I got my first Wobbler today, since they started before POP's does that mean I traveled through time?
Last edited by NCDS on Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:12 pm

NCDS wrote:I got my first Wobbler today, since it they started before POP's does that mean I traveled through time?

Congratulations! Let's see it so we can figure out what year you went back to :razz:
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”