Ed Roth proposed Wacky Wobbler artwork

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
treswright

Ed Roth proposed Wacky Wobbler artwork

Postby treswright » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:59 pm

First let me say I'm a big fan of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, I loved his crazy hot rod drawings when I was a kid and still do to this day. My right leg is covered with ink that's a testament to my love for artwork by him and his protege Sonny DePalma :-) Apparently Johnny Ace Studios was contracted by Ed Roth to create sketches and prototypes of toys and such. They've been selling a few pieces on eBay lately, it appears that several of these designs were pitched as proposed Funko Wacky Wobblers. Of course we do have Rat Fink wobblers, but it brings a tear to my eye to see how close we may have come to getting these others! They've recently sold the below two pieces, and they mention in their auctions that there was also a proposal for Drag Nut as well.

I would love to know if anyone (Maybe Reverend, I know he's a big fan too!) has additional info on these, were there other designs? Did these ever make it to the sculpting stage? Does anyone have a pic of the Drag Nut sketch?

For those that aren't aware, these subjects were all immortalized as Revell model kits in the 70's too.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

mrcory5000
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Re: Ed Roth proposed Wacky Wobbler artwork

Postby mrcory5000 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Love 'em! I'd love to have them both in my collection!!!
WE ARE FUNKO!

dakook

Postby dakook » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Whoah. Those are amazing. I love big daddy Roth!
ImageImage
Baxter

kroffty
Hall of Fame Class of 2013
Hall of Fame Class of 2013

Postby kroffty » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Wacky Kim is a MAJOR collector of all things Roth as well as his students. Her collection is insane. She has all kinds of old-school Funko items related to Rat Fink so I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't have some assorted things tucked away that escape my memory of seeing.

Will you be at FunDays? I can introduce the two of you.

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm such a fan of the stylish way he designed the Ratfink!! Excellent post!! Anxious to see what is discovered about those concepts!
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Funko5ker

Postby Funko5ker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:55 pm

I saw those on ebay. pretty sweet pieces. would have made awesome wobblers.
Rob

ISO
Yoda Freddy
Orange Tux Freddy Wobbler
Scottie Dog Wobblers

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:53 pm

kroffty wrote:Will you be at FunDays? I can introduce the two of you.

I will not but that is very kind of you to offer! I am going to try again for tickets next year :-)
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Ok Johnny Ace and Dirty Donny are some of the artist that hung out and was part of the Ed Roth Era and are still around. This is actually Johnny Aces art work not Ed Roth, Big Daddy Roth estate is now run by his daughter and still sells on the internet and has booths at hot rod culture events to this day. I know they sell stuff at a big rockabilly show I go to in Vegas that's call Viva Las Vegas. Actually Johnny Ace lives somewhere near your area Tres, and as Kroffty stated Wacky Kim is the go to person. She actually talks to Johnny Ace and his wife, she want to come to Texas and we are suppose to make the drive to visit them one day. She owns a bunch of prints and original art of theirs among other Big Daddy Roth artist. If you like you can PM her and I will let you her know you have PMed her about this stuff just let me know if you do. Misterjstewart is another go to person, he is actually friends with Dirty Donny I think, I am sure he would be glad to talk to you about it too.

On the side note I will ask a fiend of mine about this piece and if it was actually presented to Funko. I can also show Becker and ask him about it too at SDCC if I remember. I know the closest thing to Rat Fink Funko did besides Rat Fink is Surf Dude and I have several pieces of that original art work done by Funkos artist Rob Schwarts and I also have Sike-O-Shrinner art wort done by Wilky if you want me to post pictures just let me know. This Johnny Ace artwork is #funkobadass, did you buy it?
ISO Pop Spastik Tiki protos, ALL OF THEM!

REAL MEN DON'T KEEP SCORE!

SELL OUTS NEED TO RESTOCK SO THEY CAN SELL OUT AGAIN! :mir1:

Pot meet KETTLE

Brian@Funko wrote:GO boxless..it is more fun!

My mom named me Jacob/Unfortunately that's not all I get called
Haters going to hate so let the cry babies cry!

misterjstewart

Postby misterjstewart » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Don't know if I'm a go to guy on any of this stuff but if you like Ed Roth-type stuff, Dirty Donny certainly has that style.
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

MorbidGee
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby MorbidGee » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:34 am

Rev post them anyway :clapping: pretty please. [-o<
ImageImageImageImage
Hello! My name is Giselle *FDO Host Las Vegas* Making Fun: The movie *Funko Fiends Secretary/Treasurer* June 2017 COTM
IG:Morbidgeescollections Funklub #10230

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”