Bob’s Big Boy

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got a spring. Come inside and chat about Funko Wacky Wobblers (bobble heads, for the less sophisticated).
sdcccrasher

Re: Bob’s Big Boy

Postby sdcccrasher » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 am

=D> =D> =D> This is a thread to refer back to over and over again ... Nice job Josh!!! =D> =D> =D>
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

Marnie

Postby Marnie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm

My understanding is the very first Big Boy produced had a spelling error on the back of the box. This was noticed after the first production run and was corrected and a "second version" of the first Big Boy was produced.

Was told this by Mike Becker at the HQ opening, I had brought my Big Boy with to have him sign it and he was excited to see the error box version.

Error is: charactor. Should be character.

Lobstercrossing

Postby Lobstercrossing » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Marnie wrote:My understanding is the very first Big Boy produced had a spelling error on the back of the box. This was noticed after the first production run and was corrected and a "second version" of the first Big Boy was produced.

Was told this by Mike Becker at the HQ opening, I had brought my Big Boy with to have him sign it and he was excited to see the error box version.

Wow! Thanks for the historical tidbit! I've always found it interesting to learn about various misprints/errors/etc on collectibles, especially being in regards to such a major piece of Funko history. Cool stuff!
My real name is Noah, but you can call me... Noah.

fulcaire

Postby fulcaire » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:17 pm

i'm so jealous you got one!!! ugh i need this... how much did you pay?
ImageImage

badger

Postby badger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Marnie wrote:My understanding is the very first Big Boy produced had a spelling error on the back of the box. This was noticed after the first production run and was corrected and a "second version" of the first Big Boy was produced.

Just checked mine through - it does say 'charactor' so I'm glad to have the one of the first run of these produced!
Lewis, 18 years old from the UK!

badger

Postby badger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:49 pm

fulcaire wrote:i'm so jealous you got one!!! ugh i need this... how much did you pay?

I was very lucky and got it from eBay for the great price of $11.99 + shipping! Don't give up, you'll find a great deal someday!

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Congrats on adding this to your collection! I don't do a lot of Wobblers, but this is one I may hunt down as well. I have a feeling it will get increasingly more difficult.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

fulcaire

Postby fulcaire » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:34 am

BEAUTIFUL add on... I have no words.. I am kinda jealous.
ImageImage

vrom

Postby vrom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info I also did not know so that is really cool to learn about. :bounce:

Thereal_stevenjay

Postby Thereal_stevenjay » Sat May 26, 2018 2:20 am

My lucky butt just found one on e bay for 12 dollars the lady just sells antiques and has no idea what funko is! she marked it as "elias brothers bobble head" so happy right now!
Follow me on instagram @thereal_stevenjay

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Sat May 26, 2018 10:47 am

I would love to see a pic of the error box did he mention how many where made with the error, congrats on your piece
:freddy3:

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Sat May 26, 2018 10:48 am

Thereal_stevenjay wrote:My lucky butt just found one on e bay for 12 dollars the lady just sells antiques and has no idea what funko is! she marked it as "elias brothers bobble head" so happy right now!

Great find congrats!!

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 am

Thereal_stevenjay wrote:My lucky butt just found one on e bay for 12 dollars the lady just sells antiques and has no idea what funko is! she marked it as "elias brothers bobble head" so happy right now!

grats man, good find!

d3postman

Postby d3postman » Sat May 26, 2018 11:19 am

FearlessPhotog wrote:

grats man, good find!

Heck of a find! Well done!

Funko Fundays: 2015, 2019, 2021

SDCC: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022

FDO: FDO8

badger

Postby badger » Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Jalapenopete wrote:

I would love to see a pic of the error box did he mention how many where made with the error, congrats on your piece

Drop me a message tomorrow, and I’ll send you a pic of my box with the error on!

Clutch

Postby Clutch » Mon May 28, 2018 11:10 pm

Congrats.
Fundays 16’, 17’, 18’, 19’, 22’, FDO8 Chicago, FunkyHundo, Hollywood Grand Opening, Fright Night 22, MaskOWeen 22’, AquaSox Opening night, SDCC 9 years running, NYCC 6 years running and so much more. Largest Pokemon Prototype collector.

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:30 pm

After (finally) watching the documentary documentary, I’ve decided I need to add a red based one, to my collection.

It’s history...it’s the starting point for the whole thing
I used to be a werewolf, but I’m alright nooooooooooow :cat:

d3postman

Postby d3postman » Tue May 29, 2018 11:52 pm

Pryde72 wrote:After (finally) watching the documentary documentary, I’ve decided I need to add a red based one, to my collection.

I would love to have one as well. But, I wouldn't even know where to begin with that

Funko Fundays: 2015, 2019, 2021

SDCC: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022

FDO: FDO8

Riddler3

Postby Riddler3 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:33 am

I feel this has to be a hunt I need to embark on now.
Life is full of questions isn't it? Though, naturally I prefer to think of them as Riddles.

If an IYO SKY funko/proto shows hit me up ASAP!

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 am

d3postman wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:After (finally) watching the documentary documentary, I’ve decided I need to add a red based one, to my collection.

I would love to have one as well. But, I wouldn't even know where to begin with that

I have found a couple on ebay, but unfortunately it’s going to have to wait till after sdcc.

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 am

Pryde72 wrote:
d3postman wrote:

I have found a couple on ebay, but unfortunately it’s going to have to wait till after sdcc.

I felt the same way...They're starting to go way up on Ebay

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 pm

BerserkerBlack wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:
d3postman wrote:

I’m thinking it might be worth waiting a little while..seeing if the hype dies down a little.

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Wed May 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Pryde72 wrote:
BerserkerBlack wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:

I’m thinking it might be worth waiting a little while..seeing if the hype dies down a little.

Agreed. Everything inflates and deflates through time, this is no different. Love the wobbler just not $100 at the moment lol

Karubin

Postby Karubin » Wed May 30, 2018 11:29 pm

badger wrote:Today’s addition to the collection, and my first wobbler: LE 1000 1998 Big Boy!
This is a really awesome piece of funko history, and I’m very happy to own it!

Nice piece. Great explanation on the differences between all the Big Boys!

Calvin
IG: karubin_funko
Twitter: Karubin_funko

Main Line: DBZ, MHA, Naruto, NBA, Anime, Kingdom Hearts, and Overwatch
Sub Line: Freddy Funko, Pop Asia, Marvel, DC, and etc.
Pop!: 2,000+
Dorbz: 150+
ISO: Atomic Freddy & Hall H Freddy

Funko events attended FUNday 2019: Team Loko Moko, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, FunKon 2021, Virtual FUNday 2021: Team Proto Punks

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:30 am

BerserkerBlack wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:
BerserkerBlack wrote:

Agreed. Everything inflates and deflates through time, this is no different. Love the wobbler just not $100 at the moment lol

Lmao exactly right.

badger

Postby badger » Thu May 31, 2018 3:58 am

BerserkerBlack wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:
BerserkerBlack wrote:

Wait it’s $100!? I bought it for like $15. That’s crazy, although I’m not going to sell mine. It’s too cute/creepy lol lol

comic book guy

Postby comic book guy » Thu May 31, 2018 4:13 am

thejosh2010 wrote:
badger wrote:Today’s addition to the collection, and my first wobbler: LE 1000 1998 Big Boy!

Congratulations on an awesome Big Boy Wobbler!! That is the one that started it all, so most definitely a piece of history there!! Now you should get the other versions too :razz:

Here is a reference for some of the other Big Boy Wobblers if you find it useful.. :thumbright:

I know, i know....you all must be saying, "why so many Big Boy's!?" Well, Funko actually had 8 “different”Big Boy Wobblers by the time they vaulted him. These included here from my collection actually shows some of the differences, while the others are simply more font size variances or unintended errors, such as the trademark symbol being left off.

As you can see, two different types of boxes from the front view, the "Bobbing Head" box & the "Funko Bobble-Head" box.. Only two with a sticker are the very first Big Boy released by Funko in 1998, which were 1 of 1000 and individually numbered; i have 605 as you can see. The second, has the "Bob's Burbank Anniversary" sticker, this also being 1 of 1000, but not individually numbered.

To really tell the difference you must take them out of the box to inspect their bases, as these are the main differences between the 5 i have.
(LEFT - RIGHT)
The Red Base is the very first Big Boy released by Funko in 1998.
The White Base is the Burbank Anniversary Big Boy, with the base saying, "Bob's Burbank 50th Anniversary"
The white base in the middle with the base saying, "Home of the Double Decker" with the standard print font
Next one also has a white base with "Home of the Double Decker", but this one has the same font as the original and first Big Boy by Funko
Last one also has "Home of the Double Decker" on the base, but is a silver base. This one also is done in more of a matte finish and is not glossy as the previous Big Boys.

What does it all mean....i have no idea lol With every second and third production wave, slight unintentional variants were created and released leaving funatics in a frenzy to try to catch one of each ](*,)

Only a few minor noticeable differences on the bottoms of the boxes...the first Big Boy also has it's individual number stickered to the base, while the 4th box is the same on the bottom, but without the numbered sticker.

Very minor differences on the rear of the boxes as well, with all sporting the same "1998 Elias Brothers" printing except the Silver based Big Boy on the RIGHT end, which is listed as "2001 Big Boy Restaurants INT LLC". Other than that, two have a slightly more cramped History paragraph style, while the other three have spacing and a few of the details about Wian being scrambled.

Fun times!! :compress:

Great collection! I hope to add the red base Bob to my collection some day. And thanks for all the info it will help to make sure I know what I'm looking for when the time is right!
:king: Mike

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Thu May 31, 2018 4:19 am

badger wrote:
BerserkerBlack wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:

Wait it’s $100!? I bought it for like $15. That’s crazy, although I’m not going to sell mine. It’s too cute/creepy lol lol

I think the one that's going for $100 is the Red based limited 1000 one.
Theres a few variants but someone people are just going happy go lucky with trying to sell and buy without doing research lol

badger

Postby badger » Thu May 31, 2018 5:44 am

BerserkerBlack wrote:
badger wrote:
BerserkerBlack wrote:

I think the one that's going for $100 is the Red based limited 1000 one.
Theres a few variants but someone people are just going happy go lucky with trying to sell and buy without doing research lol

Exactly.

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Thu May 31, 2018 5:49 am

There's one on eBay going for a ridiculously fake price due to shill bidding. It's funny lol
Collecting since 2015: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

XSRK

Postby XSRK » Thu May 31, 2018 5:50 am

Nice piece to Funko history, congrats!

acbernardez

Postby acbernardez » Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 am

rontonsoup wrote:There's one on eBay going for a ridiculously fake price due to shill bidding. It's funny lol

Yeah, I was watching that for a while, but it was getting stupid high! Patience will hopefully be my friend haha!
Image Image
Image ImageImage

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Thu May 31, 2018 9:26 am

acbernardez wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:There's one on eBay going for a ridiculously fake price due to shill bidding. It's funny lol

Yeah, I was watching that for a while, but it was getting stupid high! Patience will hopefully be my friend haha!

yeah its def shill bidders, i am hoping to snag one for a more reasonable price as well lol

OUTSIDER31

Postby OUTSIDER31 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 am

Need one

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 am

badger wrote:
Jalapenopete wrote:

Drop me a message tomorrow, and I’ll send you a pic of my box with the error on!

:freddy3: thank you friend I got the pic i gonna go big boy hunting :bounce:

badger

Postby badger » Thu May 31, 2018 11:36 am

Jalapenopete wrote:
badger wrote:
Jalapenopete wrote:

:freddy3: thank you friend I got the pic i gonna go big boy hunting :bounce:

No problem man, good luck with your hunt!

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 am

Very nice pick up!! Congratulations.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

OUTSIDER31

Postby OUTSIDER31 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Need one

OffTheCHENG

Postby OffTheCHENG » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:23 am

I never knew that there were so much wobblers!
Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

cerealkiller

Postby cerealkiller » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:20 am

I own it and I love it

Return to “Wacky Wobblers”