Funko Firsts!

Here's a place to talk about Funko's clothing, books and bookmarks, homeware, electronics, and the like.
RoboFist

Funko Firsts!

Postby RoboFist » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 pm

I'm not entirely sure where this topic should've gone, so if there's a better place for it on these boards, someone hit me up and let me know!)

The other day I was cleaning my room and I realized that I actually owned a Wacky Wobbler from back when I was just a pre-teen! It's a Jughead dated 2002, back when Funko was stylized as "FunKo". I didn't realize that I was subconsciously collecting Funko products back even before I really grasped what Funko was.

So I thought about making a thread where we can share our first Funko products all together, just for nostalgia's sake. I don't collect all of the lines, but if you do, feel free to share your firsts here! Mine are:

First Wacky Wobbler: Jughead -
Man, I loved Jughead growing up. In fact, he's the character that actually introduced me to comic books. I'm pretty sure this Wobbler was a Christmas gift back when I was a wee little middle-schooler in 2002.

First Pop: V - Fast forward an entire decade to 2012. It was Free Comic Book Day, and I'd been seeing these Pop figures everywhere I went. I initially thought they were pretty dumb, but I couldn't pass up the ridiculousness of the ultra-violent terrorist/freedom-fighter V in a small,adorable-looking style. All toys were 30% off at my comic shop that day, so I picked him up as a last-minute afterthought. The rest is history.

First Action Figure: The Wolf Man -
Of all the Universal Monsters, Wolf Man is hands-down my favorite. I actually loved the look and feel of the ReAction Figures, especially the horror icons. Technically I bought him and the Invisible Man together, but my loyalty lies with Larry Talbot all day erry day.

First Dorbz: Unmasked Iron Man - When they were first revealed, I honestly didn't understand Dorbz at all. I didn't like the look, the size, the faces, any of it. It's honestly not until the Ramona Flowers 3-pack emerged that I started to understand their appeal. My first was (reluctantly) this pretty slick-looking MCC exclusive.

First Hikari: Donatello - Hikari was another brand I never really understood. I caved when I saw Donny (my favorite Turtle) on clearance for about $10, and even then, I didn't see the appeal until I bought a trio of Iron Men (they're gorgeous, while Donatello's mold is somewhat lackluster). I'm still not an avid collector, but I would be 100% if the price was knocked down 20 or 30 bucks. Those Frankensteins look gorgeous...

First "Other" Vinyl Figure: Marty McFly Vinyl Idolz -
In my opinion, Funko's greatest, most misunderstood and undervalued item to date. The Idolz were glorious! Their size was fantastic, their designs strange and fun, and the price point was spot-on. It's a shame that Funko has basically given up on this line, since it's one of my favorites. Just as Back to the Future is one of my favorite anythings of all time, so Mr. McFly here was a must.

First Plush: Spider-Man Fabrikation - Say what you want about MCC's Spider-Man box, but it was a box filled to the brim with nothing but beautiful reds-and-blues, so it was perfect in my eyes. I never understood the point of Funko going into plush toys until I got this guy; the weighted feet and the beautiful box made this more than just another stuffed toy. A plush collectible figure? That's spectacular.

Some of these items have spawned legitimate collections of mine, while others not so much. Still, I like my little Funko history. Show me yours! And don't limit yourself to my setup; if you collect Blind Bag figures, include your first of those! If you're a Spastik Plastik collector, or a Freddy collector, include those, as well! Let's see how all of you Funatics got your start! :freddy2:
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: Funko Firsts!

Postby CaseyJones14 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:22 pm

What a fantastic thread idea! I'll try and put mine together later tonight or tomorrow.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Oh i love this idea! Definetly gonna post mine, and read everyone else's!

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:21 pm

My memory kind of stinks, but I believe these were all my firsts lol

First POP: Leonardo - My mom actually bought my first Funko product several years ago. She bought me all 4 turtles and got my brother-in-law the entire Big Bang Theory set (I recently "stole" those from him :D) for Christmas. She did some crazy hunting for all the Big Bang Theory ones so I see where I get my craziness from lol

First Dorbz: Unmasked Iron Man - This is probably my favorite Funko story. I'm a huge SDCC buff and last year I watched a ton of an Englishman in San Diego's videos leading up to SDCC and one week he had Yoko and Cameron on to discuss Funko. At the end of his stream he had a giveaway and Funko was going to send the winner the Civil War box. Well I ended up winning and when I received the box I was blown away by the Dorbz. I had never actually seen one in person and to this day I still think he is one of the best made Dorbz ever made. I also heard about the forum from that stream and joined shortly thereafter. Now Funko pretty much rules my life :D

First Wise Crack: Let's Make a Deal Devil - This is where I start thanking Josh for expanding my collection. One day I randomly received a package and this little guy was inside. I think Josh wanted to be the little devil on my shoulder telling me to buy more things!

First Wacky Wobbler: Nick Deville SDCC 2006 - Josh also decided to send me my first Wacky Wobbler and since then it has been my favorite line to collect! I currently have 25+ Wacky Wobblers and I just recently completed my first set - the Zombie Lounge which all got started with the Nick Deville.

First Hikari: Gold Skeletor - I'm 90% sure this was my 1st Hikari and there were 2 others that came along with him. big_matt made a thread a while back where he offered to help out with some Hikari he found for some really cheap prices. Well sure enough there were a bunch of Skeletors so I jumped on it! I don't have a ton of Hikari, but they are pretty amazing. I'm currently tempted to start rounding up all the TMNT ones, but I know that is going to be a long journey.

First Mystery Mini: Night King - I received my first mystery mini from Av (Legion of Boom) at Fundays this past year. We met in line and he ended up sitting at the same table as me. He had a giant bag of mystery minis for trading later that night and he told me to pick one. I of course grabbed the Night King :D I'm really glad I met Av that night and hope to see him in San Diego again this year!

First Pint Size Hero: Batman Earth 2 - I actually don't remember where I got this PSH from lol I believe it was from Fright Night weekend and most likely came from Tiffany and Merri. I don't own too many PSH, but if/when they come out with TMNT I will definitely own them all!

First Spastik Plastik: Cult Leader - Another shout out to Josh for this one! He included this little guy when he shipped me my 20" El Diablo Wobbler. So far I only have 2 Spastik Plastiks, but that may change soon :D

First Mopeez: Deadpool - My wife actually picked this one up for me! I'm super grateful that she puts up with my shenanigans and we'll be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary this May - I hope she buys me some Funko stuff! :roflmao:

First MyMoji: Rocksteady and Shredder - I received my first MyMojis at Fright Night this past year and they happened to be prototypes lol There are 2 stories to go along with this one and they both involve awesome Funatics. I met Vicky and Jason at Boardies and Beers during SDCC and they were absolutely awesome. Fast forward to Fright Night and I had the pleasure of hanging out with them again. At some point during the night Vicky walked over to me and gave me a coffin box. I had no clue what was inside, but when I opened it I know I had a huge grin on my face when I saw Rocksteady. Later that night Lauren and Scott also got a coffin box that had Shredder inside and gave it to me! I know the term Funko Family is used a lot, but you guys really are my Funko family!

I wasn't planning on rambling this much, but this was a lot of fun! It's awesome looking back and seeing how many people have helped me in the past year. I definitely love collecting Funko, but the people are the reason it is so much fun.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:41 pm

I don't have a picture right now, I'll edit it in later on, but I'll see if I can even remember some of the firsts lol

First Pop: And my first ever Funko piece was the Cyclops Pop from the first X-Men line. I got it back in 2014 as part of a birthday present from a friend and I sort of just fell in love with them? I didn't really get into collecting right away because I didn't have an income at the time, but it was cool to have something I loved a lot represented like that.

First Mystery Mini: Dean Winchester! I'd finally had a job at Barnes & Noble for a few months when I bought my first mini. I didn't really know about any other Funko lines until I joined this board. But this was the first mini I opened ever.

First Dorbz: This one's a little harder to remember but I'm pretty sure it was Robin from the DC line. I remember buying him at Hastings before they actually closed down.

First Rock Candy: And for now, the only, but it was the Enchantress from the Gamestop box. I'd missed out on her Pop but I wasn't about to lose out on this one. Maybe someday I'll add the Pop to my collection. Thanks to Marty for helping me out here!

First Pint Size Hero: The peachy-orangey Batman from the Walmart box. I think. I don't have a lot of PSH either but I'm pretty sure he was the first one I got. Priscilla found the box for me (along with the HT one) and he was part of it!

First MLP Vinyl: Won a contest for the Doctor Who Pony here on the boards lol I had never thought about collecting these, but I might look for the Prince Charming Pony. (Can you tell I'm only here for these for their looks?)

First Plush: What line is it? I don't know. It's the Boba Fett from the Star Wars sub box and he's pretty cool. I got him from Tres!

First Action Figure: The Harley and Joker ones from the LOC box! I'm not sure what they truly fall under either. But they're pretty cool too. I'd like to get more of them eventually. I got lucky that Fawny was looking to get rid of them.

I think that's all of the Funko products I own, other than pins and patches I've received, or little things like keychains and Pop Pens. But it's pretty cool to see how much my collection has grown and how far it's come since I started collecting. Now I just gotta get a Wacky Wobbler or a Spastik in the mix and I'll be good. :cheers:

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:47 pm

First Pop: The one that started it all was Nick Fury!

First Dorbz: Ultron. Got him in the inaugural MCC box and thought he was pretty cool. I've picked up a couple more since.

First Wobbler: Flocked Rocket from GOTG! Sold to me at a great price by a fellow funatic!

First "other" vinyl figure: Super Deluxe Rocket from GOTG on sale at Gamestop!

First plush: A few Marvel Pop plush I bought way back before I even knew what Funko was.

First Hikari: Jack Skellington that I won in a contest on these very boards!
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:57 am

That's an impressive line-up Casey! I really need to jump onboard the Spastik train, those designs look so killer.

I'm loving all of these origin stories lol It REALLY makes me wish I lived more out west by Washington and Cali so I could actually attend Fundays or SDCC like you guys all have. I love hearing about Funko Families, and I'm jonesing for a cross-country roadtrip to Fundays at some point here...
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:14 pm

I really dig the idea of this. I'll have to add my firsts later. Though a few of those firsts are in storage.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Doing this at work, so will get all my firsts in a picture later today!

First POP: Jay and Silent Bob - My wife picked these up for me before going to a live Podcast of Jay and Silent Bob get old, to have them signed. We only got Kevin Smith's signature as Jason had to rush home to a pregnant wife. These are probably some of my favorite pops as well, love the View Askew universe!

First Dorbz: Vault Boy - I actually had ordered all of the dorbz together, but this is the first that came in! Love this little guy, so happy they are making more of him in the Perk variants!

First Wacky Wobbler: Metallic Skeletor - I absolutely love Skeletor, he's hilarious and probably my favorite villain from the old school cartoons. Got this guy through one of the charity auctions held here, and I couldn't be happier supporting a good cause while getting a great figure. Currently our ONLY wobbler, but that will probably change in the future.

First Hikari: HT Bloody Predator - This was actually one of the first few figures I had after I started collecting. These Hikari first hit the market a few months after and I had to get my hands on him. I was so stoked that Funko was giving Predator some more love as it's one of my favorite movies and IPs. At this moment, I'm almost complete on the Predator Hikari and it's officially my largest set of Hikari.

First Mystery Mini: Fallout Series 1 Set - So, I mention the set here because I had bought an entire case of the regular (not GS) series 1 MM. When these were first announced, I was not convinced on MM yet and was going to pass.... then my buddy Alex (Cahrull) got his case and I had a huge change of heart. They were fantastic in person and I needed them! Now I have a sizeable MM collection... oh jeez haha.

First Legacy: Fallout Power Armor - I'm not super into the Legacy line, I personally think they look a little off, but I love anything Power Armor and had to have these guys for my Fallout completion.

First Retro: Freddy as The Hulk - After my first Fundays, I fell in love with the Retros and made it my mission to complete the Avengers set from the previous year. I was lucky enough to meet some GREAT Funatics and traded my Cobra Commander Freddy with Merri (Synergy56) for Freddy As The Hulk Retro.

First Rock Candy: Batgirl - Got this for my wife, as I don't really collect DC stuff.

First Plushie: Ariel - Technically my Wife's as well, but we went out to hunt for the Super Cute Plushies and found her favorite character at our local store! We had to go to a few others to complete the set, but it was nice to knock out the most wanted one first.

First Pocket Pop: Vault Boy - Love these little guys, needed to get my hands on these to stay Fallout complete.

First Vinyl (Generic): Gamestop Vault Boy - Was super stoked when these were announced, got this when GS was doing their first Black Friday Blind Boxes back in 2015. Now I have all 3, and hope they make more!

First PSH: Riddler - Got this from the Blind Bags that were handed out during the first Fright Night, I'm not a huge DC collector, but he's still pretty cool!

First Apparel: Grey Funko EST Hat - Just love the look of this hat, got it before my first Fundays last year!
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:47 pm

First POP: Minions - My GF picked up the Minions and freddy Krueger at Fan expo a couple years ago.

First Dorbz: Penelope Ridez - We said we would not collect dorbz and then we saw this ride. It has been downhill since then lol

First Wacky Wobbler: Funkovision yogi bear- We saw this on Gemini and thought it might be neat to have. Once I opened the package it was amazing to look at. Defiantly looking for me of these.

First Hikari: Jack Skellington- My GF is a big NBC fan so this was a must. We only have two hikari's.

First Mystery Mini: Minions again- She just wanted king bob and he was the last one we got to complete the set. I think Kevin was the first one.

First Retro: Freddy Robot- Got this from Funko-shop during twelve days of Christmas

First Rock Candy: Enchantress - from gamestop exclusives.

First Plushie: Ariel - We got the Horror mopeez when they came out last year.

First Pocket Pop: Jason Voorhees - grabbed this guy and have a small collection of pop keys.

First PSH: FNAF - came in with the gamestop exclusives

First Spastik - Karl
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

allcutethings2

Postby allcutethings2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Love this thread, and hearing these stories!

First Pop: Original Belle. She caught my eye at Barnes and Noble back in late 2011, I believe, for the low low price of 7.99. Belle has always been my favorite, and I've been collecting B&tB stuff off and on ever since the animated movie came out back in '91. Still my favorite Pop to this day.

First dorbz: X-Men Beast. I was out shopping after an awful week, and he was on clearance for half off at Gamestop. That was back in Feb 2016. I've picked up a few more dorbz since then. Lol

First mystery mini: I think it was Belle from the Disney Princess & Companions series. I had sworn I wasn't going to add any more lines I needed to collect, but over 100 minis later, here I am. Mostly Disney, but some DC and Marvel have managed to sneak in.

First Fabrikations: Rocket Raccoon. On sale at Books a Million for five bucks, less the member discount. How could I pass up that cuteness at that price??? I've managed to keep that collection under control, only have about a dozen of them.

First Rock Candy: Mystique. She was the icing on the cake for the X-Men box, and definitely made me take a second look at the line.

First Vinyl Vixen: bought both Wonder Woman and Catwoman at Barnes and Noble. Love them both, but am also kind of glad that line is small. They take up a lot of (deserved) shelf space!

First Super Deluxe: Groot. Need I say more?

First MyMoji: Raphael. I love this line more and more with all the new characters getting released. And the Turtles translated really well to this style.

First PSH: Classic Batman. This was one I sought out, both for my love of Batman, and the baby dorbz look. Something about the petite size and detailed look made it a perfect line to snag!

First Hikari: Dangerous Spider-Man. Saw this one at Barnes and Noble, and just had to have it. Still my favorite Hikari.
ISO: shadow heartless mini, Finding Dory otter mini, HT gitd Lumiere

Faves: Beauty and the Beast, Lilo & Stitch, Finding Dory, Lord of the Rings

pinklaquer

Postby pinklaquer » Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 am

This is a stupendous idea! I'm going to put my list together today!

Return to “Other Funko Products”