Funko Changing the Toy Industry?

Here's a place to talk about Funko's clothing, books and bookmarks, homeware, electronics, and the like.
lozan106

Funko Changing the Toy Industry?

Postby lozan106 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi everyone, As I have walked through numerous Targets, Hot Topics, Box Lunches, Walmarts, I have noticed that other toy companies have been turning out similar products to Funko. I know that bobble heads have been around since the beginning of toy companies producing pop culture items, but how about Pops, Dorbz, and Mystery Minis? I have seen many companies that have products such as (I will list similar products that match Funko's) : Domez (Mystery Minis), Vinylmation (Dorbz), Brick Headz (Dorbz). I have also seen similar products to Plushies as well. Can anyone tell me whether or not Funko has indeed changed the toy industry with their products or has Funko found out a way to make these products that much better? I'm hoping the documentary covers this topic but if it doesn't, hopefully it can be covered here!

Thanks! :freddy3:

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Re: Funko Changing the Toy Industry?

Postby supertoygiant » Tue May 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Vinylmation has been around before Dorbz. I would not not consider Brick Headz anything similar to Dorbz. But your point is well taken. Other toy companies always try copy success. It happen when skylanders came out. You had Disney infinity, Lego and others jump on the figure to life Bandwagon. Now if you go back a several years, First run Mighty Muggs mostly resemble Dorbz and came out many years before dorbz, but never really took off.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Tue May 15, 2018 6:18 pm

One could just as easily argue that other countries and cultures influenced Funko's toy designs. I don't think Funko is really an innovator or even a trendsetter. They just happen to do certain things better than others. Funko has had mis-steps as well (eg Vinyl Vixens and Idolz, even though some people here really like them).

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Have you watched the "Toys That Made US"? Your question is an interesting one but I also think it might be to early to really answer. However these documentaries on Netflix discuss the same concepts for toys in the 80's. I found them really fascinating.

One thing I would like to see is more companies treating their fans/collectors like Funko does.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 pm

I'd say there's a lot of copying that goes on in all directions for any popular products, regardless of who is making them.

anime23

Postby anime23 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm

supertoygiant wrote:Vinylmation has been around before Dorbz. I would not not consider Brick Headz anything similar to Dorbz. But your point is well taken. Other toy companies always try copy success. It happen when skylanders came out. You had Disney infinity, Lego and others jump on the figure to life Bandwagon. Now if you go back a several years, First run Mighty Muggs mostly resemble Dorbz and came out many years before dorbz, but never really took off.

I was wondering that I thought Disney's Vinylmation was out before Dorbz but I couldn't be sure on the timing.
Would you believe I just found the signature block? My name is Kimberly check out my foodagram @imonehungrynerd or nerdy stuff @thenerdelement

Image Image

WildberryPOPtarts33

Postby WildberryPOPtarts33 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 pm

This is sort of related, but alot of the people that are in the circles that I'm in (in terms of collecting interests etc) have started to make a shift towards designer toys, and in a pretty dramatic fashion.
My name is Morgan. Former admin at KY Funko League of Awesomeness, collector of all things Spider-Gwen, Wonder Woman, and anime.
ISO Asuna proto
@superfunkobros

Funklub #13467 :freddy4:

Classier

Postby Classier » Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 pm

Mystery toys and plush figures predate Funko’s by years. They didn’t invent them.

Jortega321

Postby Jortega321 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 pm

They made it mainstream and cool again!
2013 NYCC
2014 1st Pop at NYCC
2014 NYCC
2015 NYCC
2016 NYCC
2017 NYCC
2018 NYCC
2018 1st Proto at NYCC Fugitive Party
2019 NY Toy Fair
2019 NYCC
2021 NYCC
2022 SMF1, SMF2 and SMF Soda
2022 NYCC
2022 Fright Night II

http://www.instagram.com/jersey_jorge

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Fri May 18, 2018 9:25 am

I think they definitely made pop culture toys much more mainstream with their wide range of licenses and with Pops being cute and price point friendly to those outside of the collector market.

buddylee

Postby buddylee » Fri May 18, 2018 10:31 am

the vinyl toy and blind box market was done long before Funko. difference is that Funko has so many licenses, which increases appeal. Plus their push to make it more mainstream, while the previous companies kept it more niche.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 am

It's a two-way street. I think Pop was influenced by Mighty Muggs and dunnys. Dorbz are based in part on chibi-style toys and maybe Hallmark Itty Bitty. Vinylmation has been around for years and falls from the Dunny-like platform figure as well. The new 5-Star line looks a lot like Cosbaby figures. Everything is inspired by something else. Funko has managed to put it all on a bigger stage.
Funklub: 11181

jigsaw

Postby jigsaw » Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am

i dont know how i feel about these 5 star line.....
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO UNGRATEFUL TO BE ALIVE.... BUT NOT YOU.... NOT ANYMORE.
ImageImage

IG: @Jigsaws_movie_room

Image ImageImage
ImageImage

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:54 am

One word - licenses.

Funko has 9 million of them and takes full advantage of nostalgia. Sure other companies might have some stuff that brings back memories, but Funko has a loooot more items that remind me of my childhood. That's where I believe they have the upper hand and I think it would be very difficult for another company to take advantage like Funko already has.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Tynett
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Tynett » Fri May 18, 2018 11:02 am

As it relates to the documentary, this topic isn't directly covered in it. It's more about the culture of our community than the products themselves which I hope will really connect with audiences.

I think licenses as mentioned above are a large factor but also licenses for figures that other companies shies away from as perhaps not generating enough income. Funko really does service the fan by pursuing things we loved that weren't completely mainstream or assured profit lines. They make what they love and assume a few others will love it too.
Collection Focus - Star Wars, LOST, Video Games, 90's TV
Image Image

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am

Designer toys have been around forever, but you would only see them in import stores or specialty stores... I think Funko has really helped bring a lot of these styles into the popular light (using their own flair obviously), which is awesome. It's great to see other toy companies starting to realize that the collectible market is legit and following suit.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

randig

Postby randig » Sat May 19, 2018 9:13 am

Funko Chang(ED) the Toy Industry?

or

Funko (Revolutionized) the Toy Industry?

They have for sure left a footprint on the toy game :freddy2:
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

ImageImage

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Sat May 19, 2018 11:32 am

I don’t know about changing the toy industry. Hasbro, Mattel and Lego are in a whole other league, and they’re main bread and butter still comes from toys for children. Funko has definitely succeeded in getting a ton of licenses and making collectibles from genres that the big toy makers would never consider, but maybe they will in the future!

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Sat May 19, 2018 1:09 pm

NCDS wrote:Have you watched the "Toys That Made US"? Your question is an interesting one but I also think it might be to early to really answer. However these documentaries on Netflix discuss the same concepts for toys in the 80's. I found them really fascinating.

One thing I would like to see is more companies treating their fans/collectors like Funko does.

Great insight you are right how the big toy companies looked at each other from star wars to the g i joes
:freddy3:

lozan106

Postby lozan106 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:56 pm

Thank you everybody for your responses. You learn something new everyday! I had no idea how many different elements have been well in existence from the beginning of time, but when your a kid a toy is a toy! Now as an adult and collector, I can't believe the many depths the toy industry has had in place for decades! Thanks once again, Funatics!

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:14 am

I will say how much they care, interact, give back to thier fans is something no other toy company is doing. Maybe I am wrong, but I think this is what's sets them so far apart and builds the core of this community.
2012 Rookie of the Year

funkosundae

Postby funkosundae » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Can't beat Funko ... just join them.

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:I will say how much they care, interact, give back to thier fans is something no other toy company is doing. Maybe I am wrong, but I think this is what's sets them so far apart and builds the core of this community.

This!!

They didn’t come up with those ideas but I think they definitely brought collectible toys into the more mainstream. Their involvement in their own community, focus on nostalgia and current pop culture and all around accessibility of their basic products have definitely acted as a gateway for a lot of people into the world of toy collecting.
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

Return to “Other Funko Products”