Please Note: New User Registrations and username/email address changes will be on hold from May 29th, 2024 through June 3rd, 2024

Annual subscriptions coming to an end

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
DefNotBlitz

Re: Annual subscriptions coming to an end

Postby DefNotBlitz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Got the email for my LoC subscription. Considering the quality of past boxes, this makes it all that much easier to cancel my subscription. The only reason I was even considering another year was the big gold trophy. This discontinuation of the annual subscriptions better still mean I get that last big gold statue or Funko will have some explaining to do as the program for said statue was still in place when I forked over the 234$ for the Hero subscription.
| POP!: 185 | Dorbz: 76 |
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:21 pm

DefNotBlitz wrote:Got the email for my LoC subscription. Considering the quality of past boxes, this makes it all that much easier to cancel my subscription. The only reason I was even considering another year was the big gold trophy. This discontinuation of the annual subscriptions better still mean I get that last big gold statue or Funko will have some explaining to do as the program for said statue was still in place when I forked over the 234$ for the Hero subscription.

You still get it. It states it at the end of the email.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 pm

HowardTheDuck wrote:
cheekylyssa wrote:It seems to me they are positioning themselves from an exit from the subscription business. Most of the boxes have three or four months still available - I don’t think this is a function of the IPO, more a function of smart business. With bi-monthly subscriptions, it’s a lot easier to eliminate them than with year-long ones, where they would have to refund money.

I'll be honest. If all future boxes are set up to be anything like the ones as of late, then I say farewell to Funko sub boxes. They seem to just be on a really bad downward spiral.

If they get rid of these boxes, then they better keep up these awesome disney releases in commons. If they end these boxes just to make all the exclusives form the boxes store exclusives, then I will say my funko spending will go down because I just don't have time with a full time job to go to stores like Target and Wal-Mart where exclusives require lining up in the morning or camping out the places.
Collecting since 2014

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:55 pm

NCDS wrote:
DefNotBlitz wrote:Got the email for my LoC subscription. Considering the quality of past boxes, this makes it all that much easier to cancel my subscription. The only reason I was even considering another year was the big gold trophy. This discontinuation of the annual subscriptions better still mean I get that last big gold statue or Funko will have some explaining to do as the program for said statue was still in place when I forked over the 234$ for the Hero subscription.

My mistake. Thank you for pointing it out.
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:02 pm

DefNotBlitz wrote:
NCDS wrote:

My mistake. Thank you for pointing it out.

No worries it is a long email and I missed it the first round also. We tend to skim things that long. Don't they know we have short attention spans :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
ISO Pockets Snapsie

Thrillofthehunt

Postby Thrillofthehunt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 pm

I haven't received an email for disney treasure, the only one i am subscribed too. what is their rationale? very odd move to take away the option, seems like they are creating a perfect jumping off point for subscribers.
:freddy3: Image ImageImage

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm

I guess they were tired of people complaining about how they didn’t like the statues. I really liked them.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

blade2025

Postby blade2025 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:18 pm

I wonder if it does have something to do with the investors. You brought a good point, Edmomo. Not necessarily getting rid of Funko spirit, but have something to do with accounting. It is just a guess.
I'm Matson.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Typale

Postby Typale » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:06 pm

Definitely weird. I mean there isn't a downside to annual subscriptions I feel on their end
As Brian Mariotti once said.... Go boxless, it’s more fun!

Image Image

challwsu

Postby challwsu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm

I wonder why they don't want my lump sums of money?
ImageImage

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 pm

blade2025 wrote:I wonder if it does have something to do with the investors. You brought a good point, Edmomo. Not necessarily getting rid of Funko spirit, but have something to do with accounting. It is just a guess.

I've seen this accounting idea thrown around and I just can't see it being that. Funko isn't the first company to collect payments one year for goods that are delivered another year. I'm sure they have qualified accountants that can figure this stuff out.

danioh77

Postby danioh77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

this is effect all subscription boxes including Disney Treasures?
ImageImage

Sawasdee Krab, I'm Oh'C. Instagram @danioh77
Pop! - 440 | Dorbz - 5 | Hikari - 7 | Mystery Minis - 44

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 pm

danioh77 wrote:this is effect all subscription boxes including Disney Treasures?

So far all the boxes except Disney Treasures have received the notice.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 pm

I think the move gives them the freedom to reinvent the subscriptions if they decide the current format in unprofitable. Everything from dropping the boxes altogether, merging them into one subscription program that rotates Marvel, DC, Star Wars and Disney, or change the program so there's more Pop, less filler. Maybe the Pop of the month club.

It might also more accurately reflect how people are buying them...a decline in annual subscriptions and more people cherry picking the various subscriptions for the one or two boxes that they like. I burned out on them. I can't be alone.
Funklub: 11181

danioh77

Postby danioh77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Mos_Eisley wrote:
danioh77 wrote:this is effect all subscription boxes including Disney Treasures?

So far all the boxes except Disney Treasures have received the notice.

cool, thx u. :freddy2:
ImageImage

Sawasdee Krab, I'm Oh'C. Instagram @danioh77
Pop! - 440 | Dorbz - 5 | Hikari - 7 | Mystery Minis - 44

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Honestly I wouldn't mind a Pop In A Box type thing where you just get an exclusive pop from whatever theme every other month or maybe even monthly. It'd be cheaper and a lot less iffy then the boxes.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

Classier

Postby Classier » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 pm

Am I the only one who likes getting things other than POPs in the boxes? :(

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Classier wrote:Am I the only one who likes getting things other than POPs in the boxes? :(

Yes ;-)

I like the pins and shirts a lot.

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Squird wrote:I think the move gives them the freedom to reinvent the subscriptions if they decide the current format in unprofitable. Everything from dropping the boxes altogether, merging them into one subscription program that rotates Marvel, DC, Star Wars and Disney, or change the program so there's more Pop, less filler. Maybe the Pop of the month club.

It might also more accurately reflect how people are buying them...a decline in annual subscriptions and more people cherry picking the various subscriptions for the one or two boxes that they like. I burned out on them. I can't be alone.

You weren't I have been getting burned out also. I held on to one an extra year because I was a founder. Honestly though now that there is nothing to connect me with staying active I will probably cancel them all. Maybe too many founders cancelled?

I just like hand picking my items better.
ISO Pockets Snapsie

Kdoody0527

Postby Kdoody0527 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:50 pm

It was definitely easier when I just paid the lump sum and didn’t have to worry about it. I wonder what the benefit is for them...hmm

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:21 am

mohawkjones wrote:Bummer, been a Founder/Hero/Pioneer from day 1.

Was hoping for an Iron Man Trophy this year, I guess that is not happening now? :(

That's what i was hoping for as well :(
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

OffTheCHENG

Postby OffTheCHENG » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 am

It's a bummer since this was actually my first year of subscription. But...I guess it's a good thing since I can pick which boxes i want now lol

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 am

I hope this isn't a signal that the subs are coming to an end. But when you look at the numbers of vendors selling them and the massive amount of exclusives retailers have access to, maybe there just isn't enough money in the subs to balance the drama.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 am

Classier wrote:Am I the only one who likes getting things other than POPs in the boxes? :(

Not at all. I loved the pins and patches and shirts...all things recent boxes haven't had.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

Toronto

Postby Toronto » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:11 am

HATS HATS and HATS!
ISO:Spidey/Pennywise/Mono Conans, Jubilee & Scott Pilgrim Protos [Scott Common/Dorbz]
Dream Pops:Toronto Raptors player Pops, Kimono jacket Daniel from Karate Kid 2.
Hopeful Next Funko Store Location?: The desperately needed Toronto, ON Canada #FunkoToronto
Recently Completed: Calendar Go Sailor Moon [Thanks RedRoo], Scott Pilgrim Proto - Ramona & Gideon, Mooby Protos - Both Yellow & White!

Classier

Postby Classier » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:21 am

Toronto wrote:

HATS HATS and HATS!

I liked the hats a lot, too!
Not to mention that some of my favorite Dorbz are from the MCC boxes.. Ultron, Ant-Man, Cowboy Deadpool and the Milano Ridez are high on my list!

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am

We enjoy the wearing apparel and we like the variety in the current Disney Treasures. The Christmas socks are the first wearables for this Sub. We also like the Cookie Cutter. :freddy2:
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

Squird

Postby Squird » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 am

NCDS wrote:. Maybe too many founders cancelled?

I bet this is the case. There's always some attrition from year to year. I signed up for one year of each. As time has gone by, I've kept almost none of the filler items, and only a handful of the pops, so there was little reason for me to keep getting them. As for the awards, a lot of those end up on ebay so I don't think they were the recognition people were looking for. I hope they stick around. I like those little trophies.
Funklub: 11181

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 am

Squird wrote:
NCDS wrote:. Maybe too many founders cancelled?

I bet this is the case. There's always some attrition from year to year. I signed up for one year of each. As time has gone by, I've kept almost none of the filler items, and only a handful of the pops, so there was little reason for me to keep getting them. As for the awards, a lot of those end up on ebay so I don't think they were the recognition people were looking for. I hope they stick around. I like those little trophies.

I emailed to confirm, because I'm a dork like that and I felt they were not clear. They guy said that founders was officially over but if you didn't cancel your active date would still show you started from the beginning. Which again is still confusing because why would it matter when you started if there is no founders program. So I guess you could hope that maybe down the road they will have founder only sales but I wouldn't count on it.
ISO Pockets Snapsie

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Squird wrote:I think the move gives them the freedom to reinvent the subscriptions if they decide the current format in unprofitable. Everything from dropping the boxes altogether, merging them into one subscription program that rotates Marvel, DC, Star Wars and Disney, or change the program so there's more Pop, less filler. Maybe the Pop of the month club.

If they do this, I would pull out of the boxes all together and take my chances on getting cool Disney stuff in stores. I was going to pull out of marvel as a founder this year because my budget has forced me to decide between marvel and disney, and I chose disney just because I am a disney funatic and have loved every single box.

If they make bigger changes other than taking out yearly option, I hope there will always be a Disney themed subscription.
Collecting since 2014

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm

HowardTheDuck wrote:Honestly I wouldn't mind a Pop In A Box type thing where you just get an exclusive pop from whatever theme every other month or maybe even monthly. It'd be cheaper and a lot less iffy then the boxes.

I am loving the Disney boxes. I hope they don't stop a specific Disney themed boxes.
Collecting since 2014

Tynett
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Tynett » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm pretty bummed, I love my regular dose of Star Wars and my boss status. I hope we get something for that...our loyalty since the beginning.
Collection Focus - Star Wars, LOST, Video Games, 90's TV
Image Image

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 pm

I loved getting a whole assortment of Funko vinyl products in the boxes along with the pins/patches and the shirt. The hats don't fit my head and the socks also don't fit my feet but I can live with it if the boxes are still good quality. My problem is just how much filler they've been tossing into boxes lately along with getting rid of the patch/pin combo. They've completely lost the plot on what made the boxes good so I think it's either a cost cutting measure or they want to cancel the subscription boxes entirely. A sad state of affairs for Funko.

BRiley0216

No more yearly subscriptions.

Postby BRiley0216 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 pm

So alot of people have recieved emails today regarding the fact that MCC, LOC, and SW Bounty will no loner be doing the one year subscriptions. What do you think caused this and what does it mean for Funko?

NightmareMermaid
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Re: No more yearly subscriptions.

Postby NightmareMermaid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Marie
❄❄❄ Need 30th anniversary mermaid Ariel, RBtI Ariel Rock Candy, and The Oregon Duck protos ❄❄❄
#PartOfYourWorld

reggieu

Re: No more yearly subscriptions.

Postby reggieu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:20 pm

BRiley0216 wrote:So alot of people have recieved emails today regarding the fact that MCC, LOC, and SW Bounty will no loner be doing the one year subscriptions. What do you think caused this and what does it mean for Funko?

It pretty much took us all by surprise how they decided to suddenly scrap their "founding member" program. I guess they just don't feel like giving founder members free yearly trophies anymore.
And maybe the bi-monthly subscriptions can pave the way for more expensive "premium" boxes down the road.

chincoteague1

Postby chincoteague1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 am

I am loving the Disney boxes. I hope they don't stop a specific Disney themed boxes.[/quote]

I really like these too. I hope they continue them.

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 am

Don't see the big difference besides the year trophy will agree with others one year payment is nice
:freddy3:

Godolphin

Postby Godolphin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:48 am

I wish they had announced this before my Smugglers Bounty subscription renewed.

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:50 pm

sdcccrasher wrote:[-o< Disney Treasures is safe! ... so far [-o<

Yeah I hope that holds. It will make what is surprising and possibly disappointing news better.
Collecting since 2014

Return to “Powered by Funko”