Anyone hates Smuggler's Bounty containing chase variants?

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
aigncy

Anyone hates Smuggler's Bounty containing chase variants?

Postby aigncy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:55 pm

They just tweeted about this https://twitter.com/starwars/status/647134409829785600
"One of the Pop! bobbleheads in the 1st Smuggler’s Bounty box has a chase variant! Will you be a lucky hunter? http://www.smugglersbounty.com"
Really disappointed. They successfully made ebay flipping scumbags very happy and displeased many costumers, like me. ](*,)

:makeitrain: Well, it looks like a lot people like this idea...On second thought, this is not that bad...But as a perfectionist, I probably need to get another one any way...Hope I will get a variant and grab a normal one on eBay lol :D
Last edited by aigncy on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I HATE BOBBLE-HEAD POP!

BeefyPenguin

Re: Anyone hates Smuggler's Bounty containing chase variants

Postby BeefyPenguin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 pm

flippers do kinda ruin stuff. but I dont care! this sounds awesome. I will be dancing in the streets if I get one

ZeoVGM

Postby ZeoVGM » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Reposting what I said in the other thread:

What an absolutely awful idea. I love chase figures when you have to hunt around at retail stores to find them. That can be fun. But to have a chase figure for figure that's already exclusive to a subscription box? That's just not really fair to subscribers at all.

You'll now have to go to Ebay to buy the chase if you don't get it. With NO option to wait and see if you can find it in the store. You will ONLY be able to get it by paying a (very likely) high price -- on top of the subscription.

And really, if you find a chase at retail and you want the original as well, you would have no problem just grabbing it and paying a normal price for it. But if you get a chase in this box and you also want the original? You still need to go to Ebay because that's also exclusive to the box.

Between this and Funko saying that Founder members of the Collector Corp are going to miss out on the extra bonus item that Hero members get (which is ridiculous -- they should be getting both for subscribing to a year-long box subscription without even knowing if it would be good or not), they've made some fairly consumer unfriendly decisions lately.

lunarembrace

Postby lunarembrace » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:34 pm

While I'm sure there will be flippers that do ruin this for some completionists, I think it's a cool idea. Most chases are just metallic or GitD, right? It shouldn't vary so much from the original. It'll be awesome to get a chase!
Melissa

Deezy

Postby Deezy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:39 pm

I think this is awesome! They are making this exciting and fun, so Way to go FUNKO!! Keep up the good work!!
Diana IG: deezy_r1
ImageLos Spastikos FantastikosImage

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:48 pm

I thinks it's cool, you take something that is already awesome, and then give collectors the chance at something super cool! Will flippers get some? Yes, but what else is new?
2012 Rookie of the Year

mustangkelly17

Postby mustangkelly17 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:55 pm

Personally I love the idea. If I get a chase, it will be very cool. If it is something that I have to have and I don't get it in my box, then I can go into the secondary market to get it.

I like the fact that Funko is trying new things and trying to find a better way to get the chase versions into collectors hands

wonderful217

Postby wonderful217 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I get that people are upset about having to buy them from other sources for likely high prices if they want a complete collection, but I can't believe people are actually upset about them doing a Chase variant. I think it's awesome, it's an extra bonus, a chance to get a chase. you get it, awesome. You don't get it, you're still getting the same pop that would have anyway.

UnmaskedSteve

Postby UnmaskedSteve » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:59 pm

aigncy wrote:They just tweeted about this https://twitter.com/starwars/status/647134409829785600
"One of the Pop! bobbleheads in the 1st Smuggler’s Bounty box has a chase variant! Will you be a lucky hunter? http://www.smugglersbounty.com"
Really disappointed. They successfully made ebay flipping scumbags very happy and displeased many costumers, like me. ](*,)

This is a great idea! The suspense and build up toward this box will be crazy just knowing the fact that we have a chance of opening up a box at home and there being a Chase Pop!

You can't tell me you wouldn't be ecstatic to open your box and and BOOM a Chase!

Flippers will always have their filthy paws on stuff but I bet over 90% go to a good home.
First Pop! - Headless Ned, Bloody Prison Yard Rick Grimes & Zombie Jake @ 2013 SDCC

Searching For - Black Hood Skeletor, NES Jason Mini, Princess Leia Boushh Unmasked, Wolverine Unmasked, FCBD Steve Rogers Dorbz, Detective Mode Batman XL Dorbz, X-Force Deadpool Dorbz, Thrillkiller Batman Dorbz, Bullseye Batman Dorbz.

MasterSplyntr

Postby MasterSplyntr » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:04 pm

I think it's pretty cool they're giving people a shot at a chase. Love the addition.
I be Chris

TulaBug

Postby TulaBug » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Way to go Funko. Bringing back the chase in a very unique way!
Stacey

SPIRIT AWARD 2013

HobieWanKenobi
Hall of Fame Class of 2017
Hall of Fame Class of 2017

Postby HobieWanKenobi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:08 pm

Personally, I've never found a chase in the wild.

So, if I wanted a chase piece, I would have had to pay a premium on the secondary market. How is this any different?

I love the idea, but I hope they make the ratio so that the chase piece is really special. I'm hoping to see it at 1:108 or even bigger.

I realize that's not the greatest thing for people who gotta have them all, but that's just my opinion.

eastWOLF

Postby eastWOLF » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:12 pm

Ok why are people complaining now? Chases are just the shiny or glowly versions of the same pop that already exists. I think this is a good promotion for Smuggler's Bounty.

It's basically like finding the golden ticket not everybody’s gonna get one.
Kai
IG: @eastwolfstyle
ISO:
BLANKA PSH PROTOS
SPIKE SPIEGEL PROTO

missauru

Postby missauru » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Not a fan of this idea at all. Not a completionist but I still dont care for this.
Completely agree with Zeo.
Gamer.Wife.Mom.OOB.TeamBacon.Missa
Image Image
MHA pops I will continue to pray for: Shouto Todoroki, Denki Kaminari, & Eijirou Kirishima

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Love it. Love it. Love it.
Got Pixie Dust?

Wildflower

Postby Wildflower » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:35 pm

I love this idea!

As pops have gained popularity chases have been incredibly hard to find "in the wild". This seems like a cool idea, to bring them back and (hopefully) straight into the hands of collectors instead of flippers. I probably won't get a chase, but it'll be pretty exciting waiting to find out!
Pop! Count: 120
Newest: Harry & Hedwig #31
Favourites: Harry Potter, Star Wars, Marvel

Blasphemic Nephilim

Postby Blasphemic Nephilim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:37 pm

I don't see why there's grounds for complaining. Any completist (like myself) is already used to paying premium on the secondary market for things. This is just another thing. If I get a Chase that's great but I'll still be looking to buy the regular if it's a new character. If it's not a new character and just a variant in the box (meaning EVERYONE who ordered a box gets the same variant) then that's fine by me as well. It could be a Chase of a common that hasn't been revealed yet. Like Luke, Han, or Leia.
Do I really look like a guy with a plan?

Indy Viper

Postby Indy Viper » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:43 pm

wonderful217 wrote:I get that people are upset about having to buy them from other sources for likely high prices if they want a complete collection, but I can't believe people are actually upset about them doing a Chase variant. I think it's awesome, it's an extra bonus, a chance to get a chase. you get it, awesome. You don't get it, you're still getting the same pop that would have anyway.

COMPLETELY agree with all of this. I was kind of on the fence for the Star Wars box, but now I'll definitely get one. Even if I don't get a chase, it'll still make opening the box like 10x more exciting then it would be otherwise. And I can't wait to see all the celebration posts from the lucky members here who happen to get one.

Great idea, Funko! Way to keep things exciting and new! :D
Last edited by Indy Viper on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:44 pm

I think it's a fantastic idea! I would disagree that this plays into the hands of flippers, in fact it's the opposite. We all know that most brick-and-mortar chases never make it onto store shelves, but these are MUCH more likely to end up in collectors' hands to start with. Bravo Funko!
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Hellspartan95

Postby Hellspartan95 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:45 pm

I just hope this chase is worth it for anyone who doesn't get it.

JsinLegacy

Postby JsinLegacy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:45 pm

I actually like this idea. For the main reason that these boxes get spoiled before I ever get them. So the idea that I could end up with a chase just makes it even more exciting. I'll probably never get one.. that is just not much luck but since there is a chance I am all for it... I hope they do this with the MCC box as well.

Top ISO
1. Apollo Freddy 2. 18" Retro Freddy Skeletor 3. Retro Freddy Skeletor

Instagram : JsinLegacy

Team BACON

Indy Viper

Postby Indy Viper » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:53 pm

No offense to the OP, but I'm REALLY glad I'm not in the minority in loving this idea. I was really afraid Funko was going to get a lot of push back on this idea, but so far most people seem to love it.

Out of everyone who's posted so far, here's the stats:

Lovers: 17

Haters: 3
ImageImage

operez086

Postby operez086 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:13 pm

Indy Viper wrote:Lovers: 17

Haters: 3

You can add me to that list of people who love this idea. I think it's great! I told my fiancee about it and she LOVES it too. We both love Star Wars and Pops! and this box is gonna be incredible, cause there's not just 1 exclusive pop, there's 2! and one could be a chase! =D> That's just perfect! and than there's all the extra stuff that comes with it; a shirt, a pin, etc.
Secret Wars was our first box and we were blown away by how amazing it was. The Villians box is gonna be great but the Smuggler's box....WHOA. November needs to come here already! :D
-->Oliver<--
Instagram: oliverjperez

Annabelle

Postby Annabelle » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:30 pm

I think it's pretty awesome - chases are exciting, and only because of the rarity factor.

What I don't like is the fact these are not shipping internationally. Why does Funko not love us? :(
Current Pop! Count: 700
On Pre-order/en route: 10

dpb1298

Postby dpb1298 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:31 pm

I think its a good idea. I only wonder if they will have the chases in the add on boxes later (if they have any that is)
Collection:
Pops-88 + 2 pre-ordered
Pop Rides-1
Pocket Pops-1
Mystery Minis-34
Dorbz-9
Hikari-2
Vinyl-2

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:31 pm

If I get the chase...good for me.

If you get the chase....good for you.

Either way, one of has the chance to sell it to Jordan at an ASTRONOMICAL markup. The only person who really suffers is him.

PS: I don't care much about the chase piece (I still hope I get one). There's no law of collecting that says I have to have everything.
Funklub: 11181

MorbidGee
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby MorbidGee » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:36 pm

I like the idea and I to hope that the ratio is high! Just because it will make it fun. It would be very awesome to get one! Fingers crossed :)
ImageImageImageImage
Hello! My name is Giselle *FDO Host Las Vegas* Making Fun: The movie *Funko Fiends Secretary/Treasurer* June 2017 COTM
IG:Morbidgeescollections Funklub #10230

Topshelf19k
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby Topshelf19k » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:39 pm

first it was damaged boxes,then it was a sticker and now complaining because of a chase variant! Good grief I'm going to need some cheese to go along with this whine

buf12sbr

Postby buf12sbr » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 pm

19k wrote:first it was damaged boxes,then it was a sticker and now complaining because of a chase variant! Good grief I'm going to need some cheese to go along with this whine

just wait for the missing chase sticker on a damaged box that came 2 1/2 weeks late :forcelightning: :forcelightning:
Doug
Team Bacon
2016 FunKlub Member - #301
Main Lines HB-HP-SW-Godzilla-Cornetto-Freddy-Deathstroke
ISO: Arrow-Deathstoke Pin set,

NESSNODDER
Hall of Fame Class of 2005
Hall of Fame Class of 2005

Postby NESSNODDER » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:44 pm

FUNKO ROCKS! BRING ON THE CHASE PIECES. NO TEARS HERE.
COTM DECEMBER 2010

I'M BLOODY CRAZY ABOUT DOCTOR WHO!

missauru

Postby missauru » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:47 pm

Squird wrote:If I get the chase...good for me.

If you get the chase....good for you.

Either way, one of has the chance to sell it to Jordan at an ASTRONOMICAL markup. The only person who really suffers is him.

PS: I don't care much about the chase piece (I still hope I get one). There's no law of collecting that says I have to have everything.

Poor Jordan! lol
Gamer.Wife.Mom.OOB.TeamBacon.Missa
Image Image
MHA pops I will continue to pray for: Shouto Todoroki, Denki Kaminari, & Eijirou Kirishima

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:02 am

I have mixed feelings about it but I do see some good arguments for this idea.

It will help collectors get them (if it's a low ratio) and this will boost sales for sure.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:44 am

Annabelle wrote:What I don't like is the fact these are not shipping internationally. Why does Funko not love us? :(

Funko loves you! But they posted elsewhere that it's not that they WON'T, but that they CAN'T ship internationally. The implication was that there are licensing issues preventing them from doing so.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

MrBear

Postby MrBear » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:29 am

I am fine as long as the chase is metallic or something pointless like that. Then I will not care if I don't get one. If I do I can always swap somebody.

JBiz

Postby JBiz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:31 am

I love the idea. Makes opening the box exciting even if you've seen the spoilers. Gives everyone a chance at getting the chase, which isn't true of "the wild".

Beyond that, it seems no matter what Funko does, people are going to be unhappy or complain, so they might as well ignore it and do what they want, because they won't make everyone happy.
Call me Jeremy

Searching for a Shadow Trooper. Love anything Spiderman.

BatmanHeisenberg

Postby BatmanHeisenberg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:56 am

I have mixed feelings on it.

On one hand, as someone who will subscribe, it feels like a cheat a little. I'm already subscribed to get exclusive Pops, and yet I have to hope that I get an even more exclusive one?

On the other, despite the fact that the chase will be likely jacked in price, it might settle down because so many will be ordered. The regular two will be bountiful and cheaper, since collectors and sellers alike will buy multiple boxes to get that pricey chase.

So I think overall, it will be cool. At least the chase will likely be a small change, like unmasked Poe, and hooded Rey and Kylo.

Will be getting my chase in box or on the secondary market!

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:00 am

I don't even collect Star Wars POP's other than the 3P0's and the Holo's..but I decided to support Funko on the day the Smugglers Bounty subscriptions were announced and sign up. Well, after this news, GUESS WHAT FUNKO....!?!?

I ordered a second today!!! KHAAAAANN!!!!!!.....uh, I mean...FUUNNNNNKKOOOOO!!!!!!
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

BatmanHeisenberg

Postby BatmanHeisenberg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:14 am

I am curious about the ratio regardless. If its over 1:100, they might be 100+ to buy anywhere. Hope it's not that bad.

If it was 1:4 or something like that, it's a fun thing to find, and sellers wouldn't be as inclined to sell it for over 100, since a good portion of people would have it. Makes it more of a fun game rather than an impossible item that becomes a Holy Grail in a year

CaliCollectibles
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby CaliCollectibles » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:24 am

This is amazing news. I try not to concern myself with what everyone else is doing (flippers). As long as I get my smugglers box, I'm happy. =)
Hi, I'm L.J. :spiderman: US Navy Veteran

Proto ISO: US Navy Sailor (Dress Whites), Inspector Gadget, Romeo (Romeo & Juliet).

Instagram/Twitter/YouTube: CaliCollectibles
https://www.instagram.com/calicollectibles

SirMace

Postby SirMace » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:38 am

Less complaining, more funko appreciation. I think it's a great idea!!!
Last edited by SirMace on Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#Funko Funklub member 10142

Return to “Powered by Funko”