Smuggler's Bounty "Cantina Box????

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
dad2my3

Re: Smuggler's Bounty "Cantina Box????

Postby dad2my3 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:15 am

rolltide2014 wrote:
Spoiler: show

I would love to get that one.

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:07 am

It's a fascinating back and forth I'm seeing here, between what makes a "real" Star Wars fan. Though I have to agree that the character we're all talking about is one that has cultural significance to more seasoned collectors, he doesn't mean squat to those who weren't around for the big Kenner boom and still enjoy the trilogy. The whole "this box isn't for boys, it's for true Star Wars fans" argument is arrogant and petty, and should be shelved right now.

Personally, I wasn't alive in the late-70s when the Red/Blue Snaggletooth figures were released. The action figures I played with as a kid were from the late-80s to mid-90s, and today, as a 20-something, I've never had the time nor the finances to even think about buying rare original Empire Strikes Back Kenner figures. It doesn't make me any less of a fan for being born after the figures were released and not having hundreds of thousands of spare dollars lying around. I'll admit, I'd only heard the name "Snaggletooth" in passing at comic and toy conventions.

That being said, now that I do know the lore behind the Snaggletooth figures (especially since the infamous Blue one was originally included in a "Cantina"-themed playset), not only do I completely understand Funko's reasoning behind their choice, but I actually think it's kind of brilliant! Yeah, to even the most die-hard of Star Wars movie nerds, he may be a baffling choice because this alien is never actually seen in any of the Star Wars movies, but to Star Wars toy collectors, Snaggletooth is legendary. Including both variants based off of nothing but the actual Kenner figure is super fun.

I actually love when Funko releases Pops based on "behind-the-scenes" stuff. I bought the "Prototype Armor" Boba Fett Pop specifically for that reason; it's a Popified bit of pop culture history that only a small group of people would fully appreciate.

Is it the Pop we all wanted/hoped for? No, of course not, especially when the theme was "Cantina" and they heavily teased a Pop based on a particular encounter within said Cantina. Including Snaggletooth is a completely different direction that I thought they were going, but now that I know the lore, it's not as random and terrible an idea as I originally thought. In fact, I actually really dig it now!

But I think that's how we should address it from now on: not "true Star Wars fans vs Casual Star Wars fans", but "Star Wars fans vs Star Wars TOY Fans". And the toy fans should understand the movie fans' frustration/confusion, while the movie fans should see where the toy fans are coming from and maybe have fun learning another piece of Star Wars history. Everybody wins! :cheers:
Last edited by RoboFist on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:25 am

RoboFist wrote:It's a fascinating back and forth I'm seeing here, between what makes a "real" Star Wars fan. Though I have to agree that the character we're all talking about is one that has cultural significance to more seasoned collectors, he doesn't mean squat to those who weren't around for the big Kenner boom and still enjoy the trilogy. The whole "this box isn't for boys, it's for true Star Wars fans" argument is arrogant and petty, and should be shelved right now.

Personally, I wasn't alive in the late-70s when the Red/Blue Snaggletooth figures were released. The action figures I played with as a kid were from the late-80s to mid-90s, and today, as a 20-something, I've never had the time nor the finances to even think about buying rare original Empire Strikes Back Kenner figures. It doesn't make me any less of a fan for being born after the figures were released and not having hundreds of thousands of spare dollars lying around. I'll admit, I'd only heard the name "Snaggletooth" in passing at comic and toy conventions.

That being said, now that I do know the lore behind the Snaggletooth figures (especially since the infamous Blue one was originally included in a "Cantina"-themed playset), not only do I completely understand Funko's reasoning behind their choice, but I actually think it's kind of brilliant! Yeah, to even the most die-hard of Star Wars movie nerds, he's just some alien in the background who's on screen for a nanosecond, but to Star Wars toy collectors, Snaggletooth is legendary. Including both variants based off of nothing but the actual Kenner figure is super fun.

I actually love when Funko releases Pops based on "behind-the-scenes" stuff. I bought the "Prototype Armor" Boba Fett Pop specifically for that reason; it's a Popified bit of pop culture history that only a small group of people would fully appreciate.

Is it the Pop we all wanted/hoped for? No, of course not, especially when the theme was "Cantina" and they heavily teased a Pop based on a particular encounter within said Cantina. Including Snaggletooth is a completely different direction that I thought they were going, but now that I know the lore, it's not as random and terrible an idea as I originally thought. In fact, I actually really dig it now!

But I think that's how we should address it from now on: not "true Star Wars fans vs Casual Star Wars fans", but "Star Wars fans vs Star Wars TOY Fans". And the toy fans should understand the movie fans' frustration/confusion, while the movie fans should see where the toy fans are coming from and maybe have fun learning another piece of Star Wars history. Everybody wins! :cheers:

I think you hit the unbiased nail on the head.
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 460
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Violet (CHASE)
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)/Flocked Crash Bandicoot
GRAIL(S): Qui-Gon Jinn (NYCC 2016)

Mystery Minis: ??

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

We got no food, we got no jobs, OUR POPS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!

Magnus1
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Magnus1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:44 am

I really liked this box. First I have 2 of each subscriptions(Marvel, DC, Star Wars) and this was the most secure box they're had. The items weren't smashed in, there was no flaws at all. I liked both Pop!s. I liked the new mold Obi-wan and Snaggletooth. From my 2 subscriptions, I did get 2 Red ST, no blue chase. I got a Han shirt, and my second box is my wife's and she got Muftak. I am so glad we didn't get any mugs. Does anyone else have an issue that you can't microwave the Funko Mugs, and it's HAND WASH ONLY. My request for the next box, or a box soon to come out, how about a hat/cap with Funko theme with it. I would be happy with 1 Pop! and a baseball cap. Super exited for Bounty Hunter theme. Hoping to see IG-88, Bossk, 4-Lom, Dengar, Zam Wesell or Cad Bane.
ImageImageImage
My name is David

alex_dewitt

Postby alex_dewitt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:16 am

So is...
Blue Snaggletooth confirmed to be a Chase or is there a 50/50 chance of getting either of them like Morbius/Zombie Morbius.

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:04 am

alex_dewitt wrote:So is...
Blue Snaggletooth confirmed to be a Chase or is there a 50/50 chance of getting either of them like Morbius/Zombie Morbius.

It was either on Periscope or Twitter that they specifically said there is NO CHASE with this box. I posted that on page 4. Whether they were lying or not is yet to be known.

Mikey8815

Postby Mikey8815 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:12 am

Waiting on the shipment. Havent opened the spoilers yet, but I see the disappointment. Personally I am happy to just have the ben kenobi lol that makes the box worth it
Image Image Image Image

icechaichana

Postby icechaichana » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:21 am

RoboFist wrote:It's a fascinating back and forth I'm seeing here, between what makes a "real" Star Wars fan. Though I have to agree that the character we're all talking about is one that has cultural significance to more seasoned collectors, he doesn't mean squat to those who weren't around for the big Kenner boom and still enjoy the trilogy. The whole "this box isn't for boys, it's for true Star Wars fans" argument is arrogant and petty, and should be shelved right now.

That being said, now that I do know the lore behind the Snaggletooth figures (especially since the infamous Blue one was originally included in a "Cantina"-themed playset), not only do I completely understand Funko's reasoning behind their choice, but I actually think it's kind of brilliant! Yeah, to even the most die-hard of Star Wars movie nerds, he may be a baffling choice because this alien is never actually seen in any of the Star Wars movies, but to Star Wars toy collectors, Snaggletooth is legendary. Including both variants based off of nothing but the actual Kenner figure is super fun.

He appears in the Clone Wars series though, which is considered canon. So yes,
Blue Snaggletooth exists in the same universe as the movies!

lol

Blasphemic Nephilim

Postby Blasphemic Nephilim » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:53 am

I think the Pops look awesome and are a fine addition to the box series. Main thing I'm excited about though is finally
two of the missing numbers are filled! My complete set will only have one missing number, woohoo!!!
Do I really look like a guy with a plan?

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:08 am

So I got an Ithorian shirt. So that's new. I like it, but not enough to keep it.
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 460
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Violet (CHASE)
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)/Flocked Crash Bandicoot
GRAIL(S): Qui-Gon Jinn (NYCC 2016)

Mystery Minis: ??

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

We got no food, we got no jobs, OUR POPS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!

slimpicks

Postby slimpicks » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 am

i got my box in. Got a red snaggletooth and a muftak t shirt.
Charles aka slimpicks
instagram: Funko_slimpicks
ImageImage
Funko Fundays - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright night - 2016
Funko HQ grand opening - 2017
Funko "Making Fun - The Story of Funko" - 2018
Funko HQ Hollywood - 2019
Funkon Hollywood 2021
FDO San Diego 2023

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:31 am

Seeing this box, makes me wish I didn't pretty much swear off Star Wars. The itch is there, the deep fanboy in me is kinda freaking about how cool this box is. But no. No Star Wars, going on 5 years clean. Strictly living long and prospering since 2011. Give me a Five Year Mission box any day of the week.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Our family received 4 boxes. One Blue Snaggletooth. We are very pleased with this box. No problems with damaged pops. Everything packed beautifully. I appreciate the variants too. We also received 3 of the 4 shirt styles. Thank you Funko!
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

wardengorri

Postby wardengorri » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Got Red Snaggletooth and Han shirt. Discovering the toy history behind the Blue really makes me want it now.
Hey guys, i'm Drew!

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:32 pm

I still haven't received mine yet, but I do like the contents of this box a lot. However I am super irritated that for 2 of the 3 boxes so far there have been chases/variants of one of the pops. Tracking down that chase TIE Fighter Pilot was a giant pain and I don't want to have to go through that for every other box. Just my opinion :-"
Hi, I'm Merri!

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Just opened mine - I am in love with everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress:

Ben Kenobi, Red Snaggletooth (but now I must find blue), a Hammerhead t-shirt (although now I must find Han!) and the Chewbacca pen!!!!!!! Plus patch and pin of course. Now really sure how a Star Wars fan or collector could be upset but oh well..
Last edited by a99kitten on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:12 pm

The only thing I'm disappointed in was I wish all the shirts featured a Funko looking product, Pop, Wobbler or mini.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

Bonzo37

Postby Bonzo37 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Valde wrote:
The only thing I'm disappointed in was I wish all the shirts featured a Funko looking product, Pop, Wobbler or mini.

I'm 100% the other side of that opinion. I think these are the best shirts from a funko box since ultron.
I'm Mike.

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:41 pm

I like the mix. After two Pop! shirts, I was ready for something different. I received Ponda Baba.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:07 pm

RogueSolo wrote:
I like the mix. After two Pop! shirts, I was ready for something different. I received Ponda Baba.

Lucky, I got Mamaw.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

Droidustin

Postby Droidustin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Mine will be here tomorrow!
d u s t i n
Star Wars Pop! Collector
distinctlydustin @ Instagram

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:39 pm

I love the shirts. 4 boxes, got three of the four shirts. just purchased the 4th (hammerhead) on ebay!!!!!!

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Yes, and I think the Ultron shirts were the best. Nothing wrong with these but my captain America is the best.

GothamLord

Postby GothamLord » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:40 am

I got the Red Snaggletooth. It's really nice but now I need the blue lol.
I'm the collector Gotham deserves. (but also the one it needs right now)

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:47 am

a99kitten wrote:Just opened mine - I am in love with everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :compress: :compress: :compress: :compress:

Ben Kenobi, Red Snaggletooth (but now I must find blue), a Hammerhead t-shirt (although now I must find Han!) and the Chewbacca pen!!!!!!! Plus patch and pin of course. Now really sure how a Star Wars fan or collector could be upset but oh well..

Dang, this sounds like it's the best box from Star Wars yet!? :eek:
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:51 am

Has anyone here received the Blue Snaggletooth (aka the new bane of my existence)? I was under the impression that the ratio was 1:5 but it seems even rarer than that based on eBay listings.
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:44 am

SOOOOO bummed i didnt get the "blue" one. As a lifelong Star wars toy collector and the vintage kenner one being a grail of mine for years....this one kills me. Hate to turn to ebay but what else can i do. LOL Maybe someone would trade me the BLUE for a chase tie pilot from the 1st box???? hmmmm......
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:19 am

Got mine today and got a Red Snaggletooth. Really wanted the blue one, but I'll live until I can find one at a decent price once they hype dies down like the Tie Fighter chase. Really interested to know the ratio for it like others have said.
Current Pop count: 280
Current Dorbz Count: 16
Newest Pop: SSGSS Kamehameha Goku
Favorite Pop: SS2 Gohan
ISO: Not even sure anymore

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:38 am

Still waiting for my box. But I am kind of irked because Funko specifically said NO CHASE with this box, so I was hoping that it would just be two figures. Period. But no...there are 3 figures, and one of them is DEFINITELY a Chase piece, seeing as how nearly everyone is getting the red one. Even on ebay, majority are red.

Fnkyeahryry

Postby Fnkyeahryry » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:47 am

Just got home and opened my box! I got a blue snaggletooth! So excited!

Supernickel

Postby Supernickel » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:38 am

I got red snaggletooth and the Han shirt. I need that blue snaggletooth!
I'm Nick!

Wish List: Unmasked Boushh Leia
Holographic Darth Vader

MaxGoof

Postby MaxGoof » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Are the pens random or are they all Chewbacca?

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Sheesh - the eBay prices on the blue are nutso... ](*,) ](*,)
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

ryanc_

Postby ryanc_ » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:29 pm

I got red snaggletooth, crinkling in the window plastic. also obi-wan with dents in front of box. and lastly, ponda baba shirt, would have liked han.

xwickedstyleex

Postby xwickedstyleex » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:10 pm

any suggestions for how to straighten a pop's lightsaber? it is only slightly bent, but enough to look bothersome.

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:29 pm

I guess we're past the point of spoiler tags, so here goes: I got the blue Snaggletooth and Han shirt, so I am quite happy.

xwickedstyleex wrote:any suggestions for how to straighten a pop's lightsaber? it is only slightly bent, but enough to look bothersome.

Put it in boiling water to make it pliable so you can straighten it, then in cold water to make it set.

xwickedstyleex

Postby xwickedstyleex » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Boba_Fetish wrote:I guess we're past the point of spoiler tags, so here goes: I got the blue Snaggletooth and Han shirt, so I am quite happy.

xwickedstyleex wrote:any suggestions for how to straighten a pop's lightsaber? it is only slightly bent, but enough to look bothersome.

Put it in boiling water to make it pliable so you can straighten it, then in cold water to make it set.

it is already pliable without the boiling water, but i will try the cold water to see if that will get it to stay put. also, congrats on getting what seem to be both of the most desired variants.

dad2my3

Postby dad2my3 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:10 pm

One disappointment
(didn't get a Han shirt)
plus another disappointment
(didn't get blue Snaggletooth)
equals a disappointing box this month.

I am going to try to remain optimistic about the next box because I'm excited about the theme. Hopefully there won't be any random chase items and I'll be 100% satisfied. If everybody starts posting about their Boba Fett shirt and I get Dengar, it might be time to cancel, lol.

On the plus side,
the pen is cute!

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:12 pm

I have yet to get a chase figure in any of the boxes, but I'm not a SW completionist so it doesn't bother me too much.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

Supernickel

Postby Supernickel » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:45 pm

I got the chase for the first box so I can't complain too much, but I'm going to have to track this one down somehow. :-k
I'm Nick!

Wish List: Unmasked Boushh Leia
Holographic Darth Vader

Return to “Powered by Funko”