Smugglers Bounty: JABBA's PALACE!

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
angrykoalagear

Re: Smugglers Bounty: JABBA's PALACE!

Postby angrykoalagear » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Max Rebo Band would be nice.

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:49 pm

I got a Shipping notification today. I hope it comes before SDCC....I don't think it will though.
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

Pmisley

Postby Pmisley » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:30 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=kWAOd8Pi_0E

Looks like we might get our wish if this preview is what it seems! \:D/
Phillip
Official collector of nothing but Star Wars

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:31 pm

Pmisley wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=kWAOd8Pi_0E

Looks like we might get our wish if this preview is what it seems! \:D/

Given that I'm not subscribed I don't know whether to be for it or pray it isn't.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

BillyLouis

Postby BillyLouis » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:50 pm

i received my shipping notice today. It's coming from New Jersey, so it hopefully will not take that long.
"If I only had the strength to make some muffins, then I swear that I would share them with you now."

Looking for: POP!s: Parks and Rec series 1, can be loose. Nathan MacKinnon, Patrick Roy.

dad2my3

Postby dad2my3 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:22 am

I also received my tracking number. It usually takes about 6-8 days to travel less than 200 miles, so I hope I'll have it by next weekend, but there's a chance it might be the following Monday. These boxes are great, but DHL handing things off to USPS is just the worst. It doubles the delivery time.

(I received a tracking number on July 6th for a Marvel Collector Corps box that still hasn't been delivered, but that's worse than usual.)

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:51 am

Now is about the time I try to talk myself into not spoiling the surprise and avoiding Instagram and this thread... But I'm like a kid at Christmas every time and spoil it anyway :roflmao:
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

TheBoilerman

Postby TheBoilerman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:36 am

Butler Droid....? What about the one that answers the door when C3PO knocks? Maybe that is on the patch or pin?
I bought a Mystery Mini and thought it was cool. Now I have shelves covered in Funko vinyl products. What Happened?

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:36 am

I feel like Templeton the rat after a night gorging at the fair (Charlotte's Web). Will come home exhausted from SDCC only to find Jabba's Palace on my doorstep!!! What a week ... "A veritable smorgasbord" where I can "glut, glut, glut, glut."
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:36 pm

No spoilers, but I wish I'd ordered this box.

buf12sbr

Postby buf12sbr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Spoiler: show
Got the pop right, i like the the boba plush but the rest is just meh to me, not a big fan of the mugs and ill just hang to hat on my pop wall
Doug
Team Bacon
2016 FunKlub Member - #301
Main Lines HB-HP-SW-Godzilla-Cornetto-Freddy-Deathstroke
ISO: Arrow-Deathstoke Pin set,

markenty13

Postby markenty13 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Quite disappointing, hope the death star pulls through.....
ImageImage ImageImage

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Just watched Funko's official unboxing (LOVE that they're doing those btw), and I am very pleased with the contents.

I really like the idea of getting a hat instead of a t-shirt every once in a while; I have faaar too many t-shirts

nikegolferML23

Postby nikegolferML23 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Pretty happy with this box. Only thing that was missing that would of made this box awesome is
carbonite Han
Call me Tiger..... I mean Mike
ISO: Greedo Blue Box, ECCC Phoenix, Red Skull, Unmasked Wolverine

mustangkelly17

Postby mustangkelly17 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:40 pm

very disappointed. The pop isn't bad, but the rest doesn't do anything for me. Really look forward to the t shirt in each box.

TheBoilerman

Postby TheBoilerman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:14 pm

The Pop and patch are awesome, but I'm glad I shut off auto-renew.
The mug is nice too, but I have absolutly no use for a ball cap, especially these modern flat-brimmed, snap-back gaudy suckers.
I bought a Mystery Mini and thought it was cool. Now I have shelves covered in Funko vinyl products. What Happened?

ScarletFunko

Postby ScarletFunko » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:18 pm

I love funko does unboxings the day after it closes. Just watched it and overall I'm pretty happy with it...

Hat is awesome, like that a lot. Mug looks cool but doubt I'll ever use it. The Boba is also cool. I would have preferred a second Pop over the mug and Boba. The R2 pop is great but a bit disappointed it wasn't Han.
Higher, Further, Faster

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Not horrible but could've been better.
LOVE the new Pop Plush but wish it were Jabba instead of Boba
Pop Tops (Hat) has potential. We'll see where it goes.
Not a fan of the mugs but as far as they go Jabba's my favorite (Star Wars wise, I mean)
LOVE the pop A LOT but would've loved Carbonite Han even more.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:37 pm

I like the Pop, but I don't like the rest of the items. Arguably the worst box so far. I'm glad I passed on it.

Pmisley

Postby Pmisley » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Definitely don't mind the Pop, but I would have preferred Carbonite Han or especially disguised Lando.
Phillip
Official collector of nothing but Star Wars

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:23 pm

I can't be mad at Funko for this - or any - box they release through their subscription services. I try to think from more of a business standpoint and less from a fanboy standpoint when reviewing these, and a lot of their choices do make sense. Introducing two new lines in this box? Awesome! Switching up the clothing item? Super smart idea filled with possibilities. Committing to an entire box dedicated to a license that's still pretty limiting in terms of how much merch you can make of it? Risky, but they're handling it pretty amazingly.

That being said, I'm a collector of Jabba's Palace Pops. It's still one of my favorite set-pieces in the entire Star Wars franchise, and I've been LOVING what Funko's been doing to push this scene with his throne set and the Rancor set. So this box was an obvious MUST for me. But for a box claiming to be dedicated to Jabba's Palace, I feel as if its contents were almost an afterthought.

We can complain about the Pop mugs all we want(I still haven't used my Threepio one, instead leaving it to collect dust on my desk lol ), but the fact of the matter is that this is the one item in the box that actually celebrates the theme (aside from the Pin/Patch, which are so impossibly well-designed and wonderful to look at that you almost feel deceived by them once you open the actual box itself. Honestly, they may be my favorite items in this entire box...) I mean, boom, it's a Pop Jabba head as a coffee cup, unabashed and unapologetic. I love his color scheme, the gross tongue, the enormous eyes that almost make him look adorable. I mean, it's Jabba. It's what I signed up for when I ordered this box.

Everything else is...not that. It's just general Star Wars, which is...fine, but not when I ordered a box specifically themed around a particular character and location. Especially a location as colorful and teeming with life as Jabba's Palace!

The hat is just C-3PO. Again, look, I really do appreciate Funko's choice of hat over T-shirt, I'm dead serious. And if the character on the front was, say, Max Reebo or the Rancor or Salacious Crumb or even a Jawa, I would be all about it. I would wear it proudly, because judging strictly from the video alone it looks like a pretty decent-quality hat. But it's just Threepio, a character who has appeared in literally every single Star Wars movie to date and has been given multiple Funko treatments. And don't get me started on making the first ever Funko Pop Plushie Boba Fett, a character who had just been given an entire theme dedicated to him and his buddies in the last box. Again, Jabba, Crumb, Rancor, Jawa, a Gamorrean Guard, Max Reebo, ANY of them would've made terrific-looking Pop Plushes. We didn't need another Fett item immediately after the last box.

And that Pop...I know that everyone so far is completely on-board with the Pop, which is great! And I hope that more people are pleased with it than not, because that's the point of these boxes. But...okay, in my opinion, I feel as if Funko's absolute BEST Smuggler's Bounty box was their Cantina box, specifically because of their choice of Pops. For the more casual movie fans, they had an awesome Ben Kenobi action-posed Pop, and for the more die-hard Star Wars collector fanatics, they had Snaggletooth. They were able to please two completely different fanbases with just one box, and I personally think they did it effortlessly. The Pop they chose for this box - in my personal, humble opinion that you are all 100% able to disagree with - was a bizarre and lackluster choice for this specific theme. As I said earlier, there is almost no place in the Star Wars films that is filled with more colorful characters than Jabba's Palace. Honestly, I know I was hoping for it, but Disguised Lando was almost a no-brainer, especially considering the only other Lando option has long been retired. The Rancor's owner would've also made a fun and excitingly-niche Pop. Waiter Artoo wasn't even in Jabba's Palace; he was only shown working on the Sail Barge. I know, fanboy semantics haha, but I just feel the possibilities for insane and interesting Pop choices were endless and we got an Artoo variant instead.

...I know I'm ranting, and I really do apologize. I don't like reading complaints on these boards because literally the first three letters of Funko's name spells out "fun", which is what I always strive to have with this hobby. I always try to mediate on these forums and keep the atmosphere light and fun when people are feeling cheated or down about Funko's products. I guess I just wanted to get this off of my chest, and I hope that everyone still subscribed that the Death Star box is everything you hope it'll be :)
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:52 pm

RoboFist wrote:
I can't be mad at Funko for this - or any - box they release through their subscription services. I try to think from more of a business standpoint and less from a fanboy standpoint when reviewing these, and a lot of their choices do make sense. Introducing two new lines in this box? Awesome! Switching up the clothing item? Super smart idea filled with possibilities. Committing to an entire box dedicated to a license that's still pretty limiting in terms of how much merch you can make of it? Risky, but they're handling it pretty amazingly.

That being said, I'm a collector of Jabba's Palace Pops. It's still one of my favorite set-pieces in the entire Star Wars franchise, and I've been LOVING what Funko's been doing to push this scene with his throne set and the Rancor set. So this box was an obvious MUST for me. But for a box claiming to be dedicated to Jabba's Palace, I feel as if its contents were almost an afterthought.

We can complain about the Pop mugs all we want(I still haven't used my Threepio one, instead leaving it to collect dust on my desk lol ), but the fact of the matter is that this is the one item in the box that actually celebrates the theme (aside from the Pin/Patch, which are so impossibly well-designed and wonderful to look at that you almost feel deceived by them once you open the actual box itself. Honestly, they may be my favorite items in this entire box...) I mean, boom, it's a Pop Jabba head as a coffee cup, unabashed and unapologetic. I love his color scheme, the gross tongue, the enormous eyes that almost make him look adorable. I mean, it's Jabba. It's what I signed up for when I ordered this box.

Everything else is...not that. It's just general Star Wars, which is...fine, but not when I ordered a box specifically themed around a particular character and location. Especially a location as colorful and teeming with life as Jabba's Palace!

The hat is just C-3PO. Again, look, I really do appreciate Funko's choice of hat over T-shirt, I'm dead serious. And if the character on the front was, say, Max Reebo or the Rancor or Salacious Crumb or even a Jawa, I would be all about it. I would wear it proudly, because judging strictly from the video alone it looks like a pretty decent-quality hat. But it's just Threepio, a character who has appeared in literally every single Star Wars movie to date and has been given multiple Funko treatments. And don't get me started on making the first ever Funko Pop Plushie Boba Fett, a character who had just been given an entire theme dedicated to him and his buddies in the last box. Again, Jabba, Crumb, Rancor, Jawa, a Gamorrean Guard, Max Reebo, ANY of them would've made terrific-looking Pop Plushes. We didn't need another Fett item immediately after the last box.

And that Pop...I know that everyone so far is completely on-board with the Pop, which is great! And I hope that more people are pleased with it than not, because that's the point of these boxes. But...okay, in my opinion, I feel as if Funko's absolute BEST Smuggler's Bounty box was their Cantina box, specifically because of their choice of Pops. For the more casual movie fans, they had an awesome Ben Kenobi action-posed Pop, and for the more die-hard Star Wars collector fanatics, they had Snaggletooth. They were able to please two completely different fanbases with just one box, and I personally think they did it effortlessly. The Pop they chose for this box - in my personal, humble opinion that you are all 100% able to disagree with - was a bizarre and lackluster choice for this specific theme. As I said earlier, there is almost no place in the Star Wars films that is filled with more colorful characters than Jabba's Palace. Honestly, I know I was hoping for it, but Disguised Lando was almost a no-brainer, especially considering the only other Lando option has long been retired. The Rancor's owner would've also made a fun and excitingly-niche Pop. Waiter Artoo wasn't even in Jabba's Palace; he was only shown working on the Sail Barge. I know, fanboy semantics haha, but I just feel the possibilities for insane and interesting Pop choices were endless and we got an Artoo variant instead.

...I know I'm ranting, and I really do apologize. I don't like reading complaints on these boards because literally the first three letters of Funko's name spells out "fun", which is what I always strive to have with this hobby. I always try to mediate on these forums and keep the atmosphere light and fun when people are feeling cheated or down about Funko's products. I guess I just wanted to get this off of my chest, and I hope that everyone still subscribed that the Death Star box is everything you hope it'll be :)

COUNDN'T AGREE MORE!
Really well written review. =D>
Personally, I really enjoyed this box. I always wear my Freddy Funko SnapBack so the hat is better then a shirt for me. The POP! could have been so much more but it's not terrible. The plush being Boba is a little odd... Other then that I think this box is great and worth the value as always.
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

Vagabond

Postby Vagabond » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Glad I didn't double up on this box before I seen what was in it. It would've sucked to have an extra mug, hat, pin, patch, and plush. I like Pop Mugs but I wouldn't buy one. I was cool with the C-3PO mug in the Resistance box and with the Jabba mug in this box but I hope we don't get any more mugs for a long while. And I like the Jabba mug better than the C-3PO mug. I don't like the hat so I'll never use it. Plus I don't wear SnapBacks, strictly fitteds for me. Would've preferred a shirt. The plush is alright, something I wouldn't buy but I don't mind it. The main product I subscribe to Smuggler's Bounty for is Pops so I hope they don't continue adding hats, mugs, and plush instead of a second Pop. As always the pin and patch were solid.

The Butler R2-D2 Pop is great. Artoo needed some love since there was previously just one Pop of him out there. Overall I'm satisfied with the box but the hat and plush were mehhh. Hopefully the other stuff doesn't damage my Pop box.

I've doubled up on all of the boxes (before I even knew what was in them) except for the Resistance box and this box so I luckily passed on the two boxes that didn't have two Pops in them, :cheers: .
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

TheBoilerman

Postby TheBoilerman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:03 pm

Ya know, a Boushh plush would have been a thousand times better (and more appropriate) than Boba, who just took two spots in the previous box. But, an even better plush.........Slave Leia! :love4:

DRAGOON

Postby DRAGOON » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:09 am

The box seems terrible. Doesn't match the theme. I'd be so let down with that Pop.
Kinda sorry.
Credit to bathtub-tigers. Amazing work!
Grail: Bruce Lee EtD Pop

Waiting On: Scott Pilgrim Pops

Wanting: Regular Show series 2. We need Margret. Oh, yes we do.

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:57 am

Ok, I spoiled the box for myself too... My thoughts

we know Funko is very limited in what they can do with the SW license. That's why we are spoiled with two POPs more often in this sub than the other subs. I appreciate that they try out new product types in the boxes. It gives me an opportunity to see it in person whereas usually I'll only see it online (like the mugs for example). But we have also already gotten a SW mug too, and the POP mug shape in general doesn't encourage me to drink my tea in it. They're destined more for display than use, and I only have so much room on my desk. I do, however, love the Jabba mug, so ... I guess I'm neutral on that part overall. Was a little disappointed with no shirt, I REALLY wanted a Jabba palace scene tee, and I don't wear hats. Not sure what I'll do with that. And the POP... This is certainly what they teased and I hear you on the sail barge point. But THAT DETAIL. I am super excited by the level of detail in the POP. Funko keeps stepping up their game with details and poses in the POP line that is so exciting to me. Artoo is also a character certainly deserving of more than one representation.

So, in brief, I am content witht this box and again feel that Funko is giving us great value for our money. SB continues to be my favorite of the several sub boxes I subscribe to.
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

MasterSplyntr

Postby MasterSplyntr » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:43 am

I'm a little bummed because of the many other GREAT possibilities this theme provided for a Pop but overall you can't beat the price for all that's in it.
I be Chris

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:06 pm

Here's to hoping the Death Star box is better.

Malion

Postby Malion » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Maybe they are just going to have a Jizz band themed box and are saving Max Reebo and Sly Snootles for that

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Malion wrote:Maybe they are just going to have a Jizz band themed box and are saving Max Reebo and Sly Snootles for that

Here's to hoping for some of all of that...

COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Cheshire

Postby Cheshire » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:19 am

I'm personally kinda disappointed with the box. Probably the worst box of all of them? My favorite being the first box, bounty hunter and cantina box.....

I won't go into a rant as to why since so many people have already spoken to the items. My thoughts are pretty much the same.

I admit I haven't been too happy with the items in the last few SW and Marvel boxes. I may need to just kill my subs :/
Last edited by Cheshire on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
| Pop! Count: 1000+ :fdo91: No Longer Collecting |

Cheshire

Postby Cheshire » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:21 am

.......accidentally double post. ignore this one

dad2my3

Postby dad2my3 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 am

Looks like I will really get my money's worth in this box. I am very happy with all the choices, although half are not very specific to the theme.

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:04 am

Cheshire wrote:
I'm personally kinda disappointed with the box. Probably the worst box of all of them? My favorite being the first box, bounty hunter and cantina box.....

I won't go into a rant as to why since so many people have already spoken to the items. My thoughts are pretty much the same.

I admit I haven't been too happy with the items in the last few SW and Marvel boxes. I may need to just kill my subs :/

Same here...I stopped MCC after Villains and stopped LOC after the debut. And if Death Star is a let down like this one, that's the end of SB.

Captain RShane

Postby Captain RShane » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:01 pm

poppetmaster wrote:
Cheshire wrote:

Same here...I stopped MCC after Villains and stopped LOC after the debut. And if Death Star is a let down like this one, that's the end of SB.

Agreed... Loved the formula of patch, pin, t-shirt, 2 pops and a possible extra item. This one as a whole just missed the mark in my opinion. There were so many good options with this theme... Lando disguise, Max Rebo, Carbonite Hans... and we got R2 with his own "pop top". So why did I select a T-shirt size again?
Last edited by Captain RShane on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wants: Older Captain America [06 B&W, 06 Metallic, 41 B&W, 41 GITD, 41 Unmasked]

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:07 pm

Captain RShane wrote:
poppetmaster wrote:
Cheshire wrote:

Agreed... Loved the formula of patch, pin, t-shirt, 2 pops and a possible extra item. This one as a whole just missed the mark in my opinion. There were so many good options with this theme... Lando disguise, Max Reebo, Carbonite Hans... and we got R2 with his own "pop top". So why did I select a T-shirt size again?

I like to get the shirts with the boxes. I have no use for this "clothing item" thats in there now.

Cheshire

Postby Cheshire » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:52 pm

poppetmaster wrote:Same here...I stopped MCC after Villains and stopped LOC after the debut. And if Death Star is a let down like this one, that's the end of SB.

I was actually okay with all marvel boxes except for the women of power box. I think that box was better than this one. But eh, just my 2 cents.

On a side note, it's still good to know some people are happy with this box though. I understand fully, that Funko can't please everyone, this box just doesn't do it for me.

McScruffy

Postby McScruffy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:30 am

Pretty much avoiding this thread as I don't want to be spoiled ,thank you all for using the spoiler tags, but I wanted to ask if anyone else got the shipping notifications last week (got mine on the 11th) but I haven't seen any movement. It still shows being transferred to DHL. I have 2 coming and they both show the same. I also ordered an older box while discounted and that shipped after the Jabba box and i see tracking updates for that.

Just curious. From what I gathered I may be let down with what I am expecting but still want to be surprised so please dance around the contents like you have! :-# :-# :-#
Call me toDD

Pop Count: 425 (290(?) are Star Wars)
1st Pop: R2-D2
Most recent:Holiday Yoda
Grails: Holo Darth Maul/Vader, Boushh Unmasked, Biggs

Original Band: badmarriagemusic.com

buf12sbr

Postby buf12sbr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:44 am

McScruffy wrote:Pretty much avoiding this thread as I don't want to be spoiled ,thank you all for using the spoiler tags, but I wanted to ask if anyone else got the shipping notifications last week (got mine on the 11th) but I haven't seen any movement. It still shows being transferred to DHL. I have 2 coming and they both show the same. I also ordered an older box while discounted and that shipped after the Jabba box and i see tracking updates for that.

Just curious. From what I gathered I may be let down with what I am expecting but still want to be surprised so please dance around the contents like you have! :-# :-# :-#

It been that way for months now, I've gotten some boxes and the shipping wasn't updates until after it has been delivered
Doug
Team Bacon
2016 FunKlub Member - #301
Main Lines HB-HP-SW-Godzilla-Cornetto-Freddy-Deathstroke
ISO: Arrow-Deathstoke Pin set,

ScarletFunko

Postby ScarletFunko » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 am

Mine hasn't even shipped. It still says processing
Higher, Further, Faster

Return to “Powered by Funko”