Crushed Pop boxes

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
popoholic88

Crushed Pop boxes

Postby popoholic88 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:50 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues in the past with getting their boxes and finding the contents damaged.I recently ordered an Ant-Man box and when I got it the outside box wasnt damaged but when I opened it the Pop box was crushed.The way Funko put the contents in the box the flap with the patch and pin wouldn't close all the way so they just pushed it down so they could close the lid.It crushed the box pretty significantly.I e-mailed support and they pretty much told me I'm screwed.Im an in box collector so I'm obviously a little ticked.Even though it was their own fault they still won't do anything.Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem and what the outcome was.

Kaljor

Re: Crushed Pop boxes

Postby Kaljor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:05 am

It is well known that Funko believes that Pop! figures should be unboxed and they really don't care about box condition. The box is only there to protect the figure. So yeah, you're barking up the wrong tree by contacting customer support.
My Name is Ernie

slim1977

Postby slim1977 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:53 am

I remember the a lot of the antman pops being damaged due to the way that the other junk was shoved in the box, specifically the shirt from what I remember. Mine was almost squished flat to make room for the shirt.
ISO: Jay proto from Jay and Silent Bob strike back

emcee

Postby emcee » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:06 am

Lots of people have complained about box damage and they won't replace it, unless the actual POP is damaged (probably at a certain extent). Funko repeatedly has "encouraged" people to take the POP out of the box in the customer service e-mails. I wouldn't go as far as saying "they don't care about box condition."
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: Stopped counting

wsm10

Postby wsm10 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Regardless of what they think or "encourage" people to do, they need to understand that since they sell it with a box and we pay full price for not only the figure but the box as well, we have a reasonable expectation that we should receive all the items in as close to pristine shape as possible. I understand that you get other things within the box and that helps give it value, but most people are buying it for the pop in it, and even the OOB collectors I know also care about the condition that both the figure and box come in. I've seen this come up multiple times and in multiple places so I thought I may as well throw out my opinion. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just how I see it. And no, I'm not a flipper. I just like to display mine in-box because to me it just looks cleaner and more uniform. Just my thoughts.

cerealkiller

Postby cerealkiller » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:57 pm

I always thought if you are selling something as a collectible, the box is important. Since the toy market started, any item with a damaged box, or no box, is devalued. They have an entire grading system business based on inspectors grading boxes, comic, etc. I understand they are usually bought for the toys on the inside, but to me it's the whole package, quality of paint/sculpt/articulation, and the box. That said, I'd say about 20-30% of my sub boxes came creased to semi-mangled (especially the TIE Fighters/Chrome Phasma). The paint on them all looked good though:) Unfortunately they wont replace the boxes. Best bet is to sell it/give away/trade and gamble on another, or upgrade and buy a mint one online secondary.

Littlemissplush

Postby Littlemissplush » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:15 am

Not quite a squashed pop box issue but I just received the Legion of Collector's box and the Harley Action figure was completely popped out of its packaging. I'm absolutely an "in the original packaging" person, especially when the cards for these look so swell so this is pretty disappointing. Why couldn't it have been the Joker? I don't really give a tinker's cuss about him at all, he wouldn't have gone in the collection anyway. But no, it was the Harley. And of course, I'm pretty much just going to end up buying an unopened one on ebay later on. Sigh.
Hey, I'm Ashley!

Currently ISO: Connie and Peridot mystery minis

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:38 am

Unfortunately, people can rip funko off repeatedly, by saying it's damaged and showing a pic of a dinged box. I think they tried to work with people a lot at the beginning, but had to take a harder stance with time and started posting disclaimers. It stinks when it happens, but they need to make this venture work financially to keep it going.
Last edited by Poncho Pete on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got Pixie Dust?

Battastic
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Battastic » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:09 am

First off there is a huge problem when a company I give money to wants to tell me how to collect.

Second, they have worked with customers on their first replacement request but after that they will insist you take it out of the box.

Third, pull the head off of the POP and send a pic of the damage. You will get a replacement real fast. :devil:
"If you can't have fun, if you can't laugh, if you can't enjoy it...it's not worth it." - Joey

BeefyPenguin

Postby BeefyPenguin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:13 am

Battastic wrote:First off there is a huge problem when a company I give money to wants to tell me how to collect.

Second, they have worked with customers on their first replacement request but after that they will insist you take it out of the box.

Third, pull the head off of the POP and send a pic of the damage. You will get a replacement real fast. :devil:

completely agree with this. Also them saying you should take your item out of the box is total BS! (by the way I am an out of box collector)
The marvel box is called COLLECTORcorps... collector is in the name! if they are not collector items then maybe change your name?
Also funko actually SELLS HARD PLASTIC COVERS!! If your going out of your way and saying the "proper" way to collect funko products is to take them out of there boxes then why would you sell an items that goes AGAINST that 100%.
btw I have plenty of boxes that actually say THIS IS NOT A TOY.

Sadly if you want a replacement all you have to do is what battastic said. Normally I would never advise somebody doing this as its kind of a scam but I feel as some others do; you are purchasing a mint/near mint pop and box with this box, if you were not then the price would be reduced.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:37 am

BeefyPenguin wrote:
Battastic wrote:First off there is a huge problem when a company I give money to wants to tell me how to collect.

completely agree with this. Also them saying you should take your item out of the box is total BS! (by the way I am an out of box collector)
The marvel box is called COLLECTORcorps... collector is in the name! if they are not collector items then maybe change your name?
Also funko actually SELLS HARD PLASTIC COVERS!! If your going out of your way and saying the "proper" way to collect funko products is to take them out of there boxes then why would you sell an items that goes AGAINST that 100%.
btw I have plenty of boxes that actually say THIS IS NOT A TOY.

Sadly if you want a replacement all you have to do is what battastic said. Normally I would never advise somebody doing this as its kind of a scam but I feel as some others do; you are purchasing a mint/near mint pop and box with this box, if you were not then the price would be reduced.

Great points! You hit the bullseye with the hard plastic covers.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

emcee

Postby emcee » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:36 am

When the issue first came up in the support e-mails someone had reported that the CSR was overstepping boundaries in telling people how to collect, when in fact the CSR was being very respectful about everything after the actual e-mail was posted. They acknowledge that there are in box collectors, and they "encourage" you take it out of the box. I don't get why people take this so personally. In every other Periscope video from Funko, Yoko and Cam say something like "You gotta take this one out of the box" and no one ever gets in an uproar about that. They have also stated in the past that the boxes were designed to protect the contents inside the box.

With that all being said, they should really just have a factory that prints boxes to order, whether it be from Funko directly, or selling the licensing to a third party company.
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: Stopped counting

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:28 am

Poncho Pete wrote:Unfortunately, people can rip funko off repeatedly, but saying it's damaged and showing a pic of a dinged box. I think they tried to work with people a lot at the beginning, but had to take a harder stance with time and starter posting disclaimers. It stinks when it happens, but they need to make this venture work financially to keep it going.

Took the words right outta my mouth. Well said, Petez.

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:52 am

Just to throw a point out there, if they made the focus on the box and added $10 to the cost for materials, double boxing, replacements, would that fix things? I guess I see it as a fine line to make the most people happy.
Got Pixie Dust?

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:12 am

I think the problem with this is too many people are super, super, suuuuuper picky about box condition. Like they want their box to look like artisans hand-crafted it while wearing white gloves, delicately placed a Pop inside it, then hand-carried it to their door on a sterling silver platter. I can totally understand people wanting a replacement if their box is truly smashed, but others will go all crazy on them and request a replacement over the tiniest flaw. So that's the conundrum for Funko, I doubt they have the time or manpower to handle the thousands of emails they would get and try to make judgment calls on what should and should not be replaced. Maybe they should though, I mean I'm an OOB collector and I don't mind slight box damage but I have my limits- I don't want to have to live with a crushed box.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

wsm10

Postby wsm10 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:57 pm

emcee wrote:

When the issue first came up in the support e-mails someone had reported that the CSR was overstepping boundaries in telling people how to collect, when in fact the CSR was being very respectful about everything after the actual e-mail was posted. They acknowledge that there are in box collectors, and they "encourage" you take it out of the box. I don't get why people take this so personally. In every other Periscope video from Funko, Yoko and Cam say something like "You gotta take this one out of the box" and no one ever gets in an uproar about that. They have also stated in the past that the boxes were designed to protect the contents inside the box.

With that all being said, they should really just have a factory that prints boxes to order, whether it be from Funko directly, or selling the licensing to a third party company.

I really think it is the fact that they refuse to replace the boxes while saying they "encourage" people to display OOB. When you say it like that, you're not really giving people a choice. I have gotten boxes that were completely toasted and couldn't be used in any way at all to display that have gotten that response. I understand both sides to the story, but if the box is done in, then I think it should be replaced. For all these people wanting perfection when there is something minuscule, that's where a line should be drawn I believe.

wsm10

Postby wsm10 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:58 pm

And also I think you're right about the making boxes. I think there could be good money in it if done right as well.

Battastic
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Battastic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:02 pm

wsm10 wrote:I really think it is the fact that they refuse to replace the boxes while saying they "encourage" people to display OOB. When you say it like that, you're not really giving people a choice. I have gotten boxes that were completely toasted and couldn't be used in any way at all to display that have gotten that response. I understand both sides to the story, but if the box is done in, then I think it should be replaced. For all these people wanting perfection when there is something minuscule, that's where a line should be drawn I believe.

Exactly! I am an in box collector and I am a bit picky, but when something is shipped I do understand there may be slight imperfections.
If a box is crushed just replace it. Ask for the item to be shipped back and use it somewhere down the line in another sub box or for a "damaged" box sale.
That's what happened when my 2015 Marty arrived. It was completely crushed so I requested a replacement and submitted photos. They asked me to send it back and they replaced it. I know that my return was resold or re-purposed with minor loss to the company.
"If you can't have fun, if you can't laugh, if you can't enjoy it...it's not worth it." - Joey

derrick26wayne

Postby derrick26wayne » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:31 pm

This happened to me once before, although I only asked for a replacement box and they sent one to me, promptly.
-D

ImageImageImage

Return to “Powered by Funko”