MCC April: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
ScarletFunko

Re: MCC April: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Postby ScarletFunko » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:29 am

I agree with a lot of what I read and am also pretty disappointed.

Spoiler: show
I'm just kind of baffled. Normally I try and keep my expectations in check to avoid disappointment but they really hyped the box. It just kind of seems like.......well a rather lazy choice. And there are already so many variants of Rocket and Groot. I thought Yondu was the obvious choice for the pop but maybe he is still in there and they just haven't revealed it? I'm really hoping that there is something else in the box that will make it live up to the hype.
Higher, Further, Faster

newhousebailey

Postby newhousebailey » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:46 am

Curious to see what else is in the box. This is the first MCC box that I won't be getting with the initial wave as I finally let my original founders subscription lapse. I am running out of shelf space and am trying to be more selective. Having said that...

I personally like the Pop! Not sure I will try to pick it up in a trade or off eBay as it would have worked as a store exclusive as many have said.
Hopefully the other items are nice and will tempt me to order a box as an add on. GOTG is one of my favorite series and it was difficult to pass on this one initially.
Hello. My name is Mike and I am currently most excited about the Gravity Falls line.

ImageImage

leosalion

Postby leosalion » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:48 am

I do like the pop, but I'm just a little disappointed. Considering all of the very mix feedback from the last GOTG box, was hoping this would be their big redemption. I'm still very interested to see the rest of the contents

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:09 pm

I can't help but wonder...

Would simply flocking Rocket appease most of you? I know it would make me happy. When the first two SB boxes gave me pops I already had, only one chromed and the other flocked, I had zero problems with it. Those two treatments are enough to make me look past nearly any reused sculpt tbh. I do wish they would have changed the sculpt though. Showing some teeth and repositioning his arms forward or downward would have been enough imo.

Classier

Postby Classier » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Boba_Fetish wrote:I can't help but wonder...

Would simply flocking Rocket appease most of you? I know it would make me happy. When the first two SB boxes gave me pops I already had, only one chromed and the other flocked, I had zero problems with it. Those two treatments are enough to make me look past nearly any reused sculpt tbh. I do wish they would have changed the sculpt though. Showing some teeth and repositioning his arms forward or downward would have been enough imo.

I would've liked if he could have a really big gun, like Gamora's in the trailer.

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Classier wrote:

I would've liked if he could have a really big gun, like Gamora's in the trailer.

His new Hot Toys figure has a minigun, that would have been awesome :/

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:28 pm

I like flocked and metallic variants, but again I would look at those as something cool to see as a store exclusive but not enough for a sub box. How about the jetpack version of Rocket, but holding a giant gun and with Groot riding on him, and with LEDs in the rocket blast :-D I made my own lighted Rocket but if Funko did one in a sub box I would be all over it! :-)

Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

BillyLouis

Postby BillyLouis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:50 pm

I don't think this is a bad looking POP!, but I still think this a bit of a misuse of what I think the subscription boxes should be. To me, this should be a regular release, and this box should have used for the likes of
Ayesha, Yondu with his mohawk, Kraglin, Irani Rael, or another like them.
, curious to see what else is in this box, hopefully, no ugly scarves. ;)
"If I only had the strength to make some muffins, then I swear that I would share them with you now."

Looking for: POP!s: Parks and Rec series 1, can be loose. Nathan MacKinnon, Patrick Roy.

Classier

Postby Classier » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:58 pm

BillyLouis wrote:I don't think this is a bad looking POP!, but I still think this a bit of a misuse of what I think the subscription boxes should be. To me, this should be a regular release, and this box should have used for the likes of

I'm holding out for the first POP Umbrella.

wraithkelso

Postby wraithkelso » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Put me in the camp that was hoping for
anything other than another Rocket or Groot variant.My number 1 hope was for a Milano pop ride with Starlord in it, maybe with room for an extra character. I would hang that up w/ fishing line near my Marvel collection in a heartbeat and wouldn't have needed shelf space
My Pop collection:
Disney: 297
Marvel: 53
Star Wars: 49
Harry Potter: 44
DC: 25
Animation: 11
Once Upon a Time: 9
Misc.: 28
Mystery Minis: 25
Rock-Candy: 12
Funko Games: 7
Dorbz: 5
Plush: 5
Hikari: 5
Vixens: 3
Soda: Roger Rabbit
Wobblers: Darth Vader

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Classier wrote:
BillyLouis wrote:I don't think this is a bad looking POP!, but I still think this a bit of a misuse of what I think the subscription boxes should be. To me, this should be a regular release, and this box should have used for the likes of

I'm holding out for the first POP Umbrella.

I wouldn't be upset with a beach towel or flip flops, though I suppose it's a tad early for stuff like that?

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:10 pm

treswright wrote:

I like flocked and metallic variants, but again I would look at those as something cool to see as a store exclusive but not enough for a sub box. How about the jetpack version of Rocket, but holding a giant gun and with Groot riding on him, and with LEDs in the rocket blast :-D I made my own lighted Rocket but if Funko did one in a sub box I would be all over it! :-)

Your LED lit collection is killer. If Funko ever did anything like that for their sub boxes, i'm sure subscriptions would skyrocket :D

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Me personally? No. I saw this box as an opportunity for something outside of Rocket and Groot variants. And it's an opportunity they didn't take.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:22 pm

HowardTheDuck wrote:

Me personally? No. I saw this box as an opportunity for something outside of Rocket and Groot variants. And it's an opportunity they didn't take.

Honestly, that has been my opinion on the service as a whole; predictable with lots of missed opportunities. (Mostly, anyway)

dad2my3

Postby dad2my3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:49 pm

So it's basically 95% the Game Stop exclusive?

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Like a lot of people I'm disappointed with the route they took when they could have done something much cooler. With that being said I held off on getting the new Rocket and Groot because of this exact reason so I'm not upset with this Rocket as I don't have one already from GotG2. Though I do hope there is another Pop or item that will blow everyone's socks off.
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:15 pm

For anybody who wants to see it, here is a full body pic of the POP from the GOTG Vol. 2 box. You can more clearly see the difference between the body sculpt of this and certain retailer exclusive.

Image Image
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 am

WHERE'S YONDU???

CHECK OUT MY PHOTOGRAPHY! INSTAGRAM: @TOYSSANDSTUFF
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

_____________________________________________________________________________________

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:59 am

dad2my3 wrote:So it's basically 95% the Game Stop exclusive?

Yup!! Just added armor and mini Groot :(
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Classier

Postby Classier » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 am

POPHawk wrote:WHERE'S YONDU???

Probably in the next wave for the movie. Trust me, you'll get your Yondu.

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:33 am

Classier wrote:Probably in the next wave for the movie. Trust me, you'll get your Yondu.

I'll hold you to that lol
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

CptWhizbang

Postby CptWhizbang » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 am

While I feel bad for everyone who's disappointed in this POP (because god knows I've been disappointed plenty of times by these boxes), at the same time none of us should really be surprised by this by now...

We've only ever gotten five new POPs from the comic books (Jane!Thor, Miles, Morbius, Squirrel Girl, and Bullseye), and every box somewhat connected to a movie or tv show has always gone with the title/most popular characters over the comic book and secondary characters. I mean, Funko has already missed the opportunity to give us Wasp, Sam!Cap or Bucky!Cap, Spider-woman or Silk, Wong or Clea, and X-23. Even if we hadn't of gotten these characters as POPs, Funko could have easily included them as Dorbz, Mystery Minis, keychains, or Rock Candy. But they haven't, and by all appearances it doesn't seem like Funko has any intention to use the subscription box for anything other than showcasing the most popular characters.
Current POPs: 219
Current Pocket POPs: 20
Current Dorbz: 54

Marvel Dream POP List: Metallic BuckyCap w/gun POP, Classic Black Widow POP, Nomad (Steve Rogers) POP
Marvel Dream Dorbz List: CA:TFA Dorbz, Golden Age Bucky Dorbz, CA:CW Dorbz Ride with Steve, Sam, Bucky, and VW Bug

Classier

Postby Classier » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:44 am

CptWhizbang wrote:While I feel bad for everyone who's disappointed in this POP (because god knows I've been disappointed plenty of times by these boxes), at the same time none of us should really be surprised by this by now...

We've only ever gotten five new POPs from the comic books (Jane!Thor, Miles, Morbius, Squirrel Girl, and Bullseye), and every box somewhat connected to a movie or tv show has always gone with the title/most popular characters over the comic book and secondary characters. I mean, Funko has already missed the opportunity to give us Wasp, Sam!Cap or Bucky!Cap, Spider-woman or Silk, Wong or Clea, and X-23. Even if we hadn't of gotten these characters as POPs, Funko could have easily included them as Dorbz, Mystery Minis, keychains, or Rock Candy. But they haven't, and by all appearances it doesn't seem like Funko has any intention to use the subscription box for anything other than showcasing the most popular characters.

I agree with that statement. I have no issue with new Rockets and Groots, heck, Funko can make as many of them as there are Spider-Man for all I care. I'll still buy them. I just feel a little ripped off that they just slightly altered the GS Rocket and added Groot on top. It's lazy. At least most of the time, the character is a fun new sculpt. The lack of effort put into this is the main spark of disappointment for this box. I still have my hopes up for the rest of the box, but this definitely made Funko lose a lot of customers.

Tony Stark

Postby Tony Stark » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:35 am

With such a disappointing start to this years subscription if the rest of the year is just as disappointing and the Founders gift sucks again I will definitely be canceling my subscription. These boxes should be awesome exclusives and I feel we have just been getting ripped off with laziness.
#TeamStark

Classier

Postby Classier » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 am

Tony Stark wrote:With such a disappointing start to this years subscription if the rest of the year is just as disappointing and the Founders gift sucks again I will definitely be canceling my subscription. These boxes should be awesome exclusives and I feel we have just been getting ripped off with laziness.

I'd hardly call the last box disappointing, but I guess Daredevil isn't for everybody. :-/

Tony Stark

Postby Tony Stark » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:43 am

Classier wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:With such a disappointing start to this years subscription if the rest of the year is just as disappointing and the Founders gift sucks again I will definitely be canceling my subscription. These boxes should be awesome exclusives and I feel we have just been getting ripped off with laziness.

I'd hardly call the last box disappointing, but I guess Daredevil isn't for everybody. :-/

The last box was not disappointing but that was one of a few from last year that was decent. Let's be honest though...there are many Marvel rivalries that would have been much better to get than that one IMO. But I have to say I am extremely disappointed that they have dropped the ball on GotG again. There is so much cool stuff that they could have done yet we get ANOTHER Rocket and Groot. You have to admit that it comes across as lazy.
#TeamStark

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:48 am

Well as I always say,,,
Funko cannot please everyone all of the time. There will always be people who love or hate each box. Me , I haven't gotten my new box yet, but I LOVE Groot. \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Boba_Fetish wrote:I wouldn't be upset with a beach towel or flip flops, though I suppose it's a tad early for stuff like that?

The fact that you even floated that idea out there makes me worried about what may show up in future boxes lol

Boba_Fetish wrote:Your LED lit collection is killer. If Funko ever did anything like that for their sub boxes, i'm sure subscriptions would skyrocket :D

Thank you! Oh wait, I see what you did there :D

POPHawk wrote:
dad2my3 wrote:So it's basically 95% the Game Stop exclusive?

Yup!! Just added armor and mini Groot :(

Actually the armor was removed from the MCC version. Which is kind of a bummer, I like the armor version better. Oh and they gave him angry eyes. I'm really grasping to see the differences here :eek:

I might get one of these just to put the head on a flying Rocket body, that would be way more cool IMO!

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:30 pm

treswright wrote:I might get one of these just to put the head on a flying Rocket body, that would be way more cool IMO!

I agree. I think it would have been 10x cooler if it was the jetpack mold. I can just imagine poor little Groot holding onto Rocket's fur for dear life lol
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:34 pm

popfanboy wrote:
treswright wrote:I might get one of these just to put the head on a flying Rocket body, that would be way more cool IMO!

I agree. I think it would have been 10x cooler if it was the jetpack mold. I can just imagine poor little Groot holding onto Rocket's fur for dear life lol

Oh man I love that idea, that would have been super-cute if they had him holding onto Rocket's fur or his ears lol

toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby toro423 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:12 pm

I actually like the pop. A lot better than ornaments lol . I get that a lot of people are upset, but it seems like everyone is always expecting these incredible items every time. Technically, its a $25 box. You always get a lot more than than. You cant find store exclusives for cheaper that $12 nowadays so I feel like we always get more than what we pay. Plus, that groot is so cute!
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

T-Diamond Stylus

Postby T-Diamond Stylus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm assuming the "mystery" of what pop you get isn't selling the boxes, so Funko are now releasing the image as they've done now with the DC and Marvel boxes. I like this.
Image Image Image Image

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:06 pm

Classier wrote:
POPHawk wrote:WHERE'S YONDU???

Probably in the next wave for the movie. Trust me, you'll get your Yondu.

James Gunn confirmed on Twitter we would. He said Yondu, Ayesha and Kraglin were all coming.
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

The Head

Postby The Head » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Just saw in an email that the rocket-groot combo is just ONE of the exclusives in the box. I wonder if that means another pop or just another vinyl so maybe that will make this box great. We shall see, but I'm hopeful.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:12 pm

The Head wrote:Just saw in an email that the rocket-groot combo is just ONE of the exclusives in the box. I wonder if that means another pop or just another vinyl so maybe that will make this box great. We shall see, but I'm hopeful.

A second pop would really take the sting off. I'll stay hopeful.

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Is it just me or does he look sort of flocked in that 360 view.

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Classier wrote:

I think he's referring to this MCC year, which is April to February.
Image Image Image Image

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:20 pm

I agree that the inclusion of this Pop in the box is a bit disappointing, but I think that you can't say that this box let alone this year will be terrible because of one Pop.
Image Image Image Image

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:43 pm

I'll just say, I am surprised they let us see the Pop in the box, and reaaaalllly hope it means that something else is in the box that will surprise us. I chose to opt IN for this box because I didn't think they would re-do something cheesy like ornaments(just my opinion, no hate from me). Thankfully they didn't.

I will admit, I have no need for another Rocket, or Groot, Guardians are far from my favorite characters in Marvel, but I opted in for the box because why not. I think it's a cool looking Pop though, and I'll keep it, but I think I'm really really done with Rocket and Groot now, like...really done. No more. [-( lol
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm fine with the pop. It's actually pretty cool just that this will be my 5th groot from this movie and 3rd rocket. With those SB boxes those were only the 2nd time they'd used that character from that movie. There are a ton of cool characters in the movie coming. They could have used any of them and I would have been thrilled. That's all I'm saying.

I'm usually the first to defend Funko from undue criticism I just think this certain pop is uninspired this time. Doesn't mean I won't love the rest of the box or cancel my subscription. Not at all.
My name is Jonathan.
ISO: Faker Dorbz!!
White Knight Freddy Dorbz

Pops: 819
Dorbz: 545
Ridez: 35
Rides: 5
Minis: 547
Pocket Pop!: 73
PSH: 279
Hikari: 8
Mini Hikari: 13