Annual subscriptions coming to an end

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
KryptonianRed

Re: Annual subscriptions coming to an end

Postby KryptonianRed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Not a fan of this decision either. I’ve been getting the LOC crate since it came out. The only up side is the possibility of getting one on clearance.

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 pm

skillawashere wrote: I am thinking too much stock was laying around.

Probably! This way they sell all the boxes to the retailer and they are the ones stuck with the extras, not Funko.
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

emcee

Postby emcee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 am

Hmmm... who can handle a massive amount of boxes, has experience with great shipping and service. Amazon??????????
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: Stopped counting

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:31 am

Chase Variant wrote:
Libertyroxx wrote:
nascar246788 wrote:
Yeah I feel this is them operating as a publicly traded company and not trying to please the loyal collectors.

This is something I was discussing with some friends. The end of subscription boxes and a distinct lack of rides and ridez being announced kind of smacks of a board telling them to shift focus away from things that aren't as profitable. I won't pretend to know their minds[url][/url], but it does make sense from a board of directors point of view even if it's not something I would personally want.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The “lack of Rides” is perception and demonstrably wrong.

As for the rest, I completely disagree. If you aren’t paying attention to what’s happening with LootCrate, it’s clear that the subscription box fad is dying down.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-lootcrate-struggles-20170630-htmlstory.html

Funko is looking out for its customers by not tying itself to a dying model.

Well, thank you for the insight on the ride situation. Glad to know my perception is wrong, what a relief. Though of course as others have said there have been no new ridez announcements since November.

As for the sub boxes. The big differences between Nerdblock/LootCrate and Funko?
1. Quality: I used to subscribe to both and a lot of the stuff in those boxes was pure junk. Now regardless of loving every item in every Funko box or not, I wouldn't immediately dismiss any of the items as junk on the level that NB and LC routinely sent out.

2. The other major difference is that LC/NB are contracting these items from all over the place as was shown in the NB bankruptcy filing that showed how much they owed to other companies, Funko included. In the case of Funko, everything is made by Funko so they don't have the same 3rd party costs that contributed to the demise of other sub boxes.

3. Brand loyalty. This also ties into #1, but Funko obviously has a built-in fan base for these boxes. sure LC probably sold more boxes in a month where there was an exclusive Pop, but with the Funko boxes you knew you were getting exclusive Funko items in every box. The boxes also weren't loosely defined as say "sci fi" like NB did. If you're a Marvel fan there was a box that was always 100% Marvel, etc. I know personally, it was a huge reason I jumped on the Funko boxes and canceled the other ones I got. Funko as a company routinely defies odds so in my mind what the trend of sub boxes is isn't quite as relevant.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:41 am

sdcccrasher wrote:
Vypinoy wrote:
mel wrote:I can see why Funko did this, it eliminates the risk on their end. The retail partners will have to buy these boxes from them and then the retailer is stuck with the leftover boxes and Funko got paid for all of them. It sucks personally for us to not have that box delivery to look forward to each month, but if not enough of us were ordering them and Funko is left with a bunch of boxes each month, that sucks for them. Change is hard. I had unsubbed from everything but Disney Treasures and I'm sure I will seek that out when it becomes a retail thing (likely at Disney Store).

I hope it will be through the Disney Stores.

Disney store seemed like the obvious partner given 3 of the 4 are Disney owned properties, but I can't imagine DC/WB wanting the DC box sold there. I actually think it's going to be Hot Topic. Remember when Funko launched Disney Treasure the box was on their site for a little bit. Given that HT does such a large volume with Funko and has so many exclusives it kind of makes sense. Also I'd take either of those two over Target or Wal-Mart.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

volsspongebob

Postby volsspongebob » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am

emcee wrote:Hmmm... who can handle a massive amount of boxes, has experience with great shipping and service. Amazon??????????

I am ok with this for the simple fact of Prime and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping any more.
Love to Collect the 80s stuff. Also chasing the OG Rocky Set. First Funko Purchase was 2012 SDCC.

MISSING FUNDAYS ON A DAILY BASIS!!

[size=85]Image

Chase Variant
Location: The wild, wild west, a state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Postby Chase Variant » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:50 am

Libertyroxx wrote:Funko as a company routinely defies odds so in my mind what the trend of sub boxes is isn't quite as relevant.

Except Funko isn't defying the odds. The surplus of boxes in the first year could be attributed to growing pains and learning to gauge demand. In the second year, they were still relying on heavy discounts and even giving away boxes for free as a "gift". It's the third year, and while there's an occasional sell out, there's still a surplus of boxes in an environment where people are losing interest in subscription boxes. What are you expecting to be the big turnaround here? As you note, the Funko subscriptions are probably superior to Loot Crate and others, and there's /still/ tons over overstock. That they are still trying to continue the collector boxes through a retail program should be seen as trying to please their fans, not abandoning them.

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 am

Libertyroxx wrote:
sdcccrasher wrote:
Vypinoy wrote:

I hope it will be through the Disney Stores.

Disney store seemed like the obvious partner given 3 of the 4 are Disney owned properties, but I can't imagine DC/WB wanting the DC box sold there. I actually think it's going to be Hot Topic. Remember when Funko launched Disney Treasure the box was on their site for a little bit. Given that HT does such a large volume with Funko and has so many exclusives it kind of makes sense. Also I'd take either of those two over Target or Wal-Mart.

Makes perfect sense ... Probably HT with an outside chance of Disney stores.
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

FunkoMeansFun

Postby FunkoMeansFun » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Hopefully the new retailer(s) make it just as good as the subscription was :) . :freddy3: .
:freddy3: Image

ImageImage

chincoteague1

Postby chincoteague1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:58 pm

FunkoMeansFun wrote:Hopefully the new retailer(s) make it just as good as the subscription was :) . :freddy3: .

I hope so too. I really love my Disney Treasures Sub.

margarethk

Postby margarethk » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 pm

emcee wrote:Hmmm... who can handle a massive amount of boxes, has experience with great shipping and service. Amazon??????????

Amazon would be awesome. Or any store as long as it's available online.
Margaret

Batz31

Postby Batz31 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 pm

[-X Hopefully it's not Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us or Walgreens.

clutch09

Postby clutch09 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:20 am

i'm really bummed about this. I own every sub box ever made from all 4 lines. it was nice knowing auto-renew was still good after a box had sold out.
No need to call me sir or mister.... David is fine.
Currently collecting SW, DC, Marvel, Conans and anything else that catches my eye, mostly anything chrome or GITD

meangene
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby meangene » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 am

muscleheadfunkopop wrote:Totally bummed out that the monthly subscription boxes will be ending. But all good things have to come to an end sometime. It was cool knowing that I was going to have a particular box on a certain date, but now with retailers...i wonder how the releases are going to be. Some retailers never, never, NEVER release things by the street date....unless it's star wars. And how is it going to go with the shirts in the boxes...#GONE? Sucked that the Kylo & Hulk box only went up to XL. Not much more to say...hopefully I will be able to get a box and hopefully with the correct shirt size.

Completely agree with you brother. Hopefully they'll be easy to get in the future :)
Gene

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 pm

chincoteague1 wrote:
FunkoMeansFun wrote:Hopefully the new retailer(s) make it just as good as the subscription was :) . :freddy3: .

I hope so too. I really love my Disney Treasures Sub.

I third that. I really loved Disney Treasures and hope the awesomeness continues.
Collecting since 2014

Neolite

Postby Neolite » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:15 pm

Not looking forward to having to hunt for these. Hopefully it won’t be too difficult. On the bright side, maybe hot cash will work on the boxes. Excited for the last boxes tho. Endor and infinity war!

muscleheadfunkopop

Postby muscleheadfunkopop » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Neolite wrote:Not looking forward to having to hunt for these. Hopefully it won’t be too difficult. On the bright side, maybe hot cash will work on the boxes. Excited for the last boxes tho. Endor and infinity war!

Super Stoked for Infinty Box :compress: :compress: :compress:
Be nice to get a translucent pop or dorbz. Just sayin lol lol
Funko Funatic Shoutouts! #9
Fundays 2014◇2015◇2016◇2017◇2018◇2019◇2021V◇2022◇2023
FDO6 SF◇FDO7 Sackanda & LA◇FDO8 SF◇FDO9 Sackanda
Fright Night◇HQ Grand Opening◇Making Fun Movie Premiere◇FunKon Hollywood◇Fright Night II

Instagram: @muscleheadfunkopop #SODAWasted
Facebook: Iz Salazar

jambes
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby jambes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 pm

muscleheadfunkopop wrote:
Neolite wrote:Not looking forward to having to hunt for these. Hopefully it won’t be too difficult. On the bright side, maybe hot cash will work on the boxes. Excited for the last boxes tho. Endor and infinity war!

Super Stoked for Infinty Box :compress: :compress: :compress:
Be nice to get a translucent pop or dorbz. Just sayin lol lol

Mmmm flocked Captain America beard. :love7:

Tbguy

Postby Tbguy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 pm

I am torn with this news. On one hand getting it straight from Funko made it was simple. On the other hand as a share holder in funko stock this is a smart business move from a logistics/storage/inventory stand point.
:freddy3:

Pkdiablo77

Postby Pkdiablo77 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:11 am

Tbguy wrote:I am torn with this news. On one hand getting it straight from Funko made it was simple. On the other hand as a share holder in funko stock this is a smart business move from a logistics/storage/inventory stand point.

How so? Dumb it down for me pls

Krazydave2000

Postby Krazydave2000 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:03 am

clutch09 wrote:i'm really bummed about this. I own every sub box ever made from all 4 lines. it was nice knowing auto-renew was still good after a box had sold out.

I'm in same boat and feel same. This has me ticked off.
:freddy2:

Funko Patch & Pin Club Member
San Diego Chapter
Vest Up!!!!!!

91shawny

Postby 91shawny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:39 pm

Pkdiablo77 wrote:
Tbguy wrote:I am torn with this news. On one hand getting it straight from Funko made it was simple. On the other hand as a share holder in funko stock this is a smart business move from a logistics/storage/inventory stand point.

It costs money to make the boxes. If funko has a retailer to deal with the boxes, then the retailer orders a certain amount from funko in which they profit off the retailer. So if the retailer gets left with dead stock, funko doesn’t lose on the money because they made it from the retailer. Prior to this, funko ran it directly and had a lot of dead stock.

Anyone can correct me if I’m off.
A funatic who is 1% more obsessed with anime than Funko.

| Pops: 1530 | Dorbz: 18 | IG: 91shawny

ImageImageImageImage

Pkdiablo77

Postby Pkdiablo77 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:57 am

Wow thx!! Makes so much sense.

Funkafoo

Postby Funkafoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 am

I just got the Disney sub box and now it is ending....sad

Annie_May13

Postby Annie_May13 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:29 pm

I agree- I miss out on quite a few items because I miss online releases and have work the next day so I can't stay up forever and I would have to go to another town 20-30 minutes away to try and get it from any retailer. Thankfully, my fiance understands my love of Disney so he's going to do a lot of hunting for me since his job has more flexible hours than mine (high school teacher here) but I appreciated the auto-renew. I never had to worry about it and I was guranteed it. I still have a Loot Crate box (Sanrio is my second love) and I like a lot of the stuff in it and use a vast majority of it and I would have put Funko up there with them so I didn't see it as a possiblity of them cancelling but I get what you all mean from a business perspective. It just makes better sense that way but at least it'll still be possible to get them because, like I said, I loved pretty much everything from my Disney Treasuers boxes...fingers crossed that it's a retailer like Hot Topic or Amazon...maybe even Box Lunch. I wouldn't mind Disney Store but sometimes their shipping cost kills me compared to the other 2/3. I guess we'll find out after all of these last boxes are released :/
༻❀༺Girly girl from Texas who loves pink༻❀༺

༻♥༺Dream Pops: Studio Ghibli, Cardcaptor Sakura, more Sailor Moon, Rogue, Pokemon, and FruBa༻♥༺

Image Image ImageImage

yasowat

Postby yasowat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:10 am

This is a major bummer. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find them.

Tbguy

Postby Tbguy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:00 am

91shawny wrote:
Pkdiablo77 wrote:

It costs money to make the boxes. If funko has a retailer to deal with the boxes, then the retailer orders a certain amount from funko in which they profit off the retailer. So if the retailer gets left with dead stock, funko doesn’t lose on the money because they made it from the retailer. Prior to this, funko ran it directly and had a lot of dead stock.

This is spot on. Funko only profits off of this move no sells to lets say Target and they buy 40,000 boxes Funko gets paid doesnt have to store the excess isnt stuck with the excess its win win for them. We only lose in the fact we have to shop through other retail sites and possible go in store which would 100% suck.

91shawny

Postby 91shawny » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 am

Tbguy wrote:
91shawny wrote:
Pkdiablo77 wrote:How so? Dumb it down for me pls

This is spot on. Funko only profits off of this move no sells to lets say Target and they buy 40,000 boxes Funko gets paid doesnt have to store the excess isnt stuck with the excess its win win for them. We only lose in the fact we have to shop through other retail sites and possible go in store which would 100% suck.

Damn if you do and damn if you don't

ImageImageImageImage

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:55 am

I can see it now... in a few years we will be on here reminiscing... remember the days when LE items just "showed up" on your doorstep? Those were the good ole days. lol
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

Luckynala323

Postby Luckynala323 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 pm

I have been a MCC and Disney Treasures subscriber since Box 1. I have fun opening the box to see what New Funko treasures I can add to my collection. It was like Christmas morning (when I wasn't previously spoiled #-o )

As far as being upset, how can you be, it's business, their employees need to eat too. So, I don't fault them for doing what they are meant to do, making money. Although, some days I wish it wasn't so much of MY money they were making, but hey that is my choice for traveling down this rabbit hole of Vinyl Figures lol

At least we still have the ability to continue to purchase them, even if it won't be like Christmas Morning anymore and may be harder to obtain. [-o<

91shawny

Postby 91shawny » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Vinyl4Blood wrote:I can see it now... in a few years we will be on here reminiscing... remember the days when LE items just "showed up" on your doorstep? Those were the good ole days. lol

Pepperidge Farm will remember lol back when we could order things online and didn't have to enter the store lol

ImageImageImageImage

Tbguy

Postby Tbguy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Batz31 wrote:[-X Hopefully it's not Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us or Walgreens.

ya target has dropped the ball with this Yondu street date nonsense. Walgreens never get new merch and I really dont want to go to Walmart.

chincoteague1

Postby chincoteague1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Vinyl4Blood wrote:I can see it now... in a few years we will be on here reminiscing... remember the days when LE items just "showed up" on your doorstep? Those were the good ole days. lol

I think you are right. I just hope they continue to offer these Disney Treasures Boxes.

chincoteague1

Postby chincoteague1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Has anyone heard where the Disney Treasures are going to be sold yet?

randig

Postby randig » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:06 pm

chincoteague1 wrote:Has anyone heard where the Disney Treasures are going to be sold yet?

I don’t think anything is confirmed
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

ImageImage

NyxCrawler

Postby NyxCrawler » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:26 pm

chincoteague1 wrote:Has anyone heard where the Disney Treasures are going to be sold yet?

I"m thinking the obvious answer is Disney Stores, but who's to say it's just going to be one store who carries it. Either way, I'm irked. Collecting in NJ sucks and I don't want to go crazy finding these boxes. :(

Chase Variant
Location: The wild, wild west, a state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Postby Chase Variant » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 am

NyxCrawler wrote:

I"m thinking the obvious answer is Disney Stores, but who's to say it's just going to be one store who carries it. Either way, I'm irked. Collecting in NJ sucks and I don't want to go crazy finding these boxes. :(

Why is that the obvious answer? The /obvious/ answer would be Hot Topic. HT/Box Lunch gets all the good Disney Exclusives and they do mystery boxes.

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Chase Variant wrote:
NyxCrawler wrote:

Why is that the obvious answer? The /obvious/ answer would be Hot Topic. HT/Box Lunch gets all the good Disney Exclusives and they do mystery boxes.

I am with you. I feel your pain about the Disney box. I hope their is some online place to get them because I will go crazy hunting them in San Diego.
Collecting since 2014

AvisShadow

Postby AvisShadow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm

I have a pre-paid Disney Treasures card that I got from D23 over this past summer (July 2017), and I haven't used it yet. I was just about to use it on the Adventures box until Funko announced that they were going to discontinue the subscription box, and only current and past subscribers could purchase the box. So, I have a pre-paid Disney Treasures card that I can't use.

Does anyone know the best way to get into contact with Funko support? I've tried going to their website and using the 'Contact Us' button, but I've never gotten a response.
In Search of...
    Pops!: GitD Jolly Roger SDCC, Mr. Toad SDCC, and Thor and Loki Ragnarok from MCC
    PSH: GotG Walmart exclusives!

NyxCrawler

Postby NyxCrawler » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 pm

Chase Variant wrote:
NyxCrawler wrote:

Well, I mean, it would be obvious because it's Disney at the Disney store. lol. I wasn't saying that it had to go there or would.... but technically speaking, it is the obvious answer. lol.

Return to “Powered by Funko”