Annual subscriptions coming to an end

Get a subscription to happiness and talk all about it here. These are the ultimate Boxes of Fun.
Mos_Eisley

Annual subscriptions coming to an end

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Disappointing. Seems like a bad idea. Now I'll just pick and choose boxes, likely resulting in me buying fewer boxes. But I guess this is how you stop giving away Founder, Pioneer, etc gifts.
Last edited by Mos_Eisley on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bo150000

Re: Annual subscriptions coming to an end

Postby bo150000 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Little stumped by this also.

reggieu

Postby reggieu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Yeah this is kinda sudden.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Bummer, been a Founder/Hero/Pioneer from day 1.

Was hoping for an Iron Man Trophy this year, I guess that is not happening now? :(
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:21 pm

So I only got an email about my collector corps. I have yet to get an email with the subject important information about your Disney Treasures subscription. The only email I have is titled important information about your marvel collector corps. I also logged into my disney treasures, and it says I still have an active pioneer subscription to be billed in march 2018. It is interesting if they cancel Disney after just a year of annual subscriptions.

Is this going to go into effect for Disney as well? Anybody only subscribed to Disney get an email? I am wondering if they just assume since I got a marvel collector crops email they don't need to send me disney treasures or is disney treasures not effected because it is so new?
Last edited by nascar246788 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collecting since 2014

Soloontherocks

Postby Soloontherocks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm

The only benefit for me is that my wife won't see the two annual subscriptions I have being withdrawn from the bank account during the same month. Unfortunately, she'll see a couple of charges every month.
Hi! I'm Michael!
Instagram: @mbgcollect

Stu

Postby Stu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 pm

A little disappointed by this as I liked paying one time and not having to worry about the subscription for the rest of the year. Also, I usually used part of my yearly bonus to pay for the subscription, so that is a little disappointing as well.
My name is Aaron...Many call me Stu...it is a long story.

ISO: Skeletor and Panthor Dorbz ride.

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:28 pm

nascar246788 wrote:So I only got an email about my collector corps. I have yet to get an email with the subject important information about your Disney Treasures subscription. The only email I have is titled important information about your marvel collector corps. I also logged into my disney treasures, and it says I still have an active pioneer subscription to be billed in march 2018. It is interesting if they cancel Disney after just a year of annual subscriptions.

Is this going to go into effect for Disney as well? Anybody only subscribed to Disney get an email? I am wondering if they just assume since I got a marvel collector crops email they don't need to send me disney treasures or is disney treasures not effected because it is so new?

I received notices for Star Wars, Marvel and DC. Nothing for Disney so perhaps that one is continuing.

reggieu

Postby reggieu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Mos_Eisley wrote:
nascar246788 wrote:So I only got an email about my collector corps. I have yet to get an email with the subject important information about your Disney Treasures subscription. The only email I have is titled important information about your marvel collector corps. I also logged into my disney treasures, and it says I still have an active pioneer subscription to be billed in march 2018. It is interesting if they cancel Disney after just a year of annual subscriptions.

I received notices for Star Wars, Marvel and DC. Nothing for Disney so perhaps that one is continuing.

I'm sure the Disney one will be cancelled too, they're probably just going to wait until it hits the year mark.

I'm going to miss collecting those little oscar trophys....

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:36 pm

I will say that it had crossed my mind to cancel my annual sub for MCC and pick and choose what I wanted, but I ultimately decided just to keep it. I think I'll still get most of the MCC boxes, but I would definitely be more open to getting the occasion LOC or SB box.

What was unclear in the emails is are they going to pay for my MCC February box or give me some kind of payout or something else? I know for LOC, they will have already had their last box of the cycle, but MCC still has the February box and SB still has the January, March, May, July and September boxes before their cycles are finished.
Last edited by jkcohen626 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:38 pm

jkcohen626 wrote:I will say that it had crossed my mind to cancel my annual sub for MCC and pick and choose what I wanted, but I ultimately decided just to keep it. I think I'll still get most of the MCC boxes, but I would definitely be more open to getting the occasion LOC or SB box.

Could I use your team holo freddy badge?
Collecting since 2014

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:39 pm

reggieu wrote:
Mos_Eisley wrote:

I'm sure the Disney one will be cancelled too, they're probably just going to wait until it hits the year mark.

I'm going to miss collecting those little oscar trophys....

I hope not. I hope that Funko says something on the board or on their blogs about why the change and if it applies across the board.
Collecting since 2014

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:39 pm

nascar246788 wrote:
jkcohen626 wrote:I will say that it had crossed my mind to cancel my annual sub for MCC and pick and choose what I wanted, but I ultimately decided just to keep it. I think I'll still get most of the MCC boxes, but I would definitely be more open to getting the occasion LOC or SB box.

Yeah. :freddy2:
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:42 pm

jkcohen626 wrote:
nascar246788 wrote:

Yeah. :freddy2:

Could you message me the link?
Collecting since 2014

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:44 pm

Technically it didn't say the founders program was cancelled just they wouldn't be charging yearly. They could still do the founders as long as you have remained active. Though if the founders is cancelled I just saved a lot of money.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

TheBoilerman

Postby TheBoilerman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:44 pm

Doom and gloom? The end of Powered by Funko coming soon? :-k

Idk, only thing I can think of is that it gives them room to discontinue the lines at any time without refunds as long as they continue through the current cycles. Won't surprise me if true.
I bought a Mystery Mini and thought it was cool. Now I have shelves covered in Funko vinyl products. What Happened?

slimpicks

Postby slimpicks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 pm

wow that sad. an end to an era
Charles aka slimpicks
instagram: Funko_slimpicks
ImageImage
Funko Fundays - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright night - 2016
Funko HQ grand opening - 2017
Funko "Making Fun - The Story of Funko" - 2018
Funko HQ Hollywood - 2019
Funkon Hollywood 2021
FDO San Diego 2023

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Curious about why this is happening. It was so easy just making one payment.
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Stragon wrote:Curious about why this is happening. It was so easy just making one payment.

I am as well. One payment made things a lot easier.
Collecting since 2014

lunarembrace

Postby lunarembrace » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm sure it'll come for Disney soon. I'll miss paying yearly, and will still get every box regardless. I hope we still get at least the first year Pioneer Disney reward, since they did mention we will really love it when they announced Disney Treasures. I hope this isn't bad news for Funko subscriptions.
Melissa

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

lunarembrace wrote:I'm sure it'll come for Disney soon. I'll miss paying yearly, and will still get every box regardless. I hope we still get at least the first year Pioneer Disney reward, since they did mention we will really love it when they announced Disney Treasures. I hope this isn't bad news for Funko subscriptions.

Yeah I agree if we don't get our reward, I will be a little frustrated.
Collecting since 2014

Battastic
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Battastic » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:11 pm

I am not sure why this is going on and I do not think it is the best idea but I was planning on dropping my yearly sub so maybe it's partly my fault lol
"If you can't have fun, if you can't laugh, if you can't enjoy it...it's not worth it." - Joey

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:11 pm

nascar246788 wrote:
lunarembrace wrote:I'm sure it'll come for Disney soon. I'll miss paying yearly, and will still get every box regardless. I hope we still get at least the first year Pioneer Disney reward, since they did mention we will really love it when they announced Disney Treasures. I hope this isn't bad news for Funko subscriptions.

The email says even if you cancel you still get your Anniversary Gift

"If you want to opt out of this change and cancel your subscription, simply log into your account and turn auto renew off before your next charge date. Step-by-step instructions are included below. Turning auto renew off will not affect the remainder of your current annual subscription or your upcoming anniversary gift, which you will still receive."
ISO Pockets Snapsie

Classier

Postby Classier » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm

mohawkjones wrote:Bummer, been a Founder/Hero/Pioneer from day 1.

Was hoping for an Iron Man Trophy this year, I guess that is not happening now? :(

There's still a chance. The Spidey trophy was for the boxes from Civil War to Superhero Showdowns, and founder subscriptions were still available from Guardians onwards, so we should get at least one more trophy.

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm

Classier wrote:

There's still a chance. The Spidey trophy was for the boxes from Civil War to Superhero Showdowns, and founder subscriptions were still available from Guardians onwards, so we should get at least one more trophy.

You've got a point! I was really hoping to get an Ironman Trophy at some point.

Classier

Postby Classier » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 pm

funkystark wrote:
Classier wrote:

You've got a point! I was really hoping to get an Ironman Trophy at some point.

He deserves it. All we have to do is hope he gets chosen for the trophy instead of Hulk or Thor (only really big characters left) so I'd think that Iron Man would be an easy pick.

bo150000

Postby bo150000 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:24 pm

TheBoilerman wrote:Doom and gloom? The end of Powered by Funko coming soon? :-k

Idk, only thing I can think of is that it gives them room to discontinue the lines at any time without refunds as long as they continue through the current cycles. Won't surprise me if true.

Good point...

edmomo

Postby edmomo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Let's hope it's not because some investors don't like the funatic spirit of Funko giving little thank you's for people ponying up for their goodies a full year in advance.
Instagram: thepop_life

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm

NCDS wrote:
nascar246788 wrote:

"If you want to opt out of this change and cancel your subscription, simply log into your account and turn auto renew off before your next charge date. Step-by-step instructions are included below. Turning auto renew off will not affect the remainder of your current annual subscription or your upcoming anniversary gift, which you will still receive."

Of course we'll still get our reward when our current subscription is up. Not continuing the next year/month doesn't impact that. I highly doubt they'll continue with the annual gifts, otherwise there would be no point in making this move.

mactds

Postby mactds » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm

This is an odd decision, and like others said it could be to not give out annual gifts, or it could be to go away from the monthly boxes without having to refund years? Unsure if they're not profitable?
Hi, I'm Trevor
Current Pop Count: 310
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mactds/

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Mos_Eisley wrote:
NCDS wrote:
nascar246788 wrote:

Of course we'll still get our reward when our current subscription is up. Not continuing the next year/month doesn't impact that. I highly doubt they'll continue with the annual gifts, otherwise there would be no point in making this move.

I agree they just weren't very clear on that. You could still be a founder by being active non- stop but I think they see the yearly as combined with it.

I wonder if it was all our complaining that the gifts sucked or if so many founders discontinued the cost benefit was no longer there.
ISO Pockets Snapsie

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 pm

NCDS wrote:
Mos_Eisley wrote:
NCDS wrote:

I agree they just weren't very clear on that. You could still be a founder by being active non- stop but I think they see the yearly as combined with it.

I wonder if it was all our complaining that the gifts sucked or if so many founders discontinued the cost benefit was no longer there.

I can say I was going to discontinue my founders after this year.
Collecting since 2014

cheekylyssa

Postby cheekylyssa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm

It seems to me they are positioning themselves from an exit from the subscription business. Most of the boxes have three or four months still available - I don’t think this is a function of the IPO, more a function of smart business. With bi-monthly subscriptions, it’s a lot easier to eliminate them than with year-long ones, where they would have to refund money.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:07 pm

cheekylyssa wrote:It seems to me they are positioning themselves from an exit from the subscription business. Most of the boxes have three or four months still available - I don’t think this is a function of the IPO, more a function of smart business. With bi-monthly subscriptions, it’s a lot easier to eliminate them than with year-long ones, where they would have to refund money.

I'll be honest. If all future boxes are set up to be anything like the ones as of late, then I say farewell to Funko sub boxes. They seem to just be on a really bad downward spiral.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

The Head

Postby The Head » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Interesting timing because didn't the smugglers bounty subs just renew for the entire year? I admit, I haven't read the communication yet so haven't thought through all the implications, but I did like paying just once and being done with it.

I do hope this isnt the first step to sub boxes going away. Despite some of my complaints, I do like them overall so hope they stick around in some capacity.

opopssum

Postby opopssum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Im only subbed to Disney so I havent seen that.... yet

it will be interesting to see what the future of the sub boxes are, seems like they have cut patches already.
- tauntaunking on instagram

eljefe81

Postby eljefe81 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:27 pm

I hope they give some clarification on why they did this. I think the most likely explanation is that they either have planned ending dates for the sub boxes (which would necessitate not having annual subscribers) or they want the flexibility to do so in the near future. Could be that they've determined the sub boxes to not be profitable or maybe they have something new that will replace. Time will tell
Proud member of Markenty's Garage

jigsaw

Postby jigsaw » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm

ooo thats horrible!!!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO UNGRATEFUL TO BE ALIVE.... BUT NOT YOU.... NOT ANYMORE.
ImageImage

IG: @Jigsaws_movie_room

Image ImageImage
ImageImage

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:59 pm

[-o< Disney Treasures is safe! ... so far [-o<
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Yeah, there are just so many different ways this can go. I really hope the sub boxes don't end. Getting them is one of my favorite things in the world (especially SMuggler's Bounty!) Like the rest of you just puzzled and waiting for some sort of clarity as to what is going on with this.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

Return to “Powered by Funko”