What's so great about Soda?

Included with each SODA can is a 4.25” vinyl figure and a collectible disc both with a 1 in 6 chase variant!
The Bleach Fan

What's so great about Soda?

Postby The Bleach Fan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:49 pm

Hi Everyone, I just started thinking about getting into soda. From the pros standpoint. What makes Soda pops special to you? Does it make the sound of opening a fresh cold soda when you open the can? Is it the feeling of reminiscing of times past? What is it? Do share?

thebigdog14

Re: What's so great about Soda?

Postby thebigdog14 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:11 pm

I like how collectible they are. The figure designs are suoer cool and they cans add an extra level being unique. Very few companies make a container so collectible.
SDCC 2014-2019, 2022, 2023
SWC 2019
Funko Fundays 2019, 2022, 2023

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:30 pm

I like the size. When your primary collection are Pops and they are in-box, the sodas make for a great accessory to that collection.

Biscuithead Jen

Postby Biscuithead Jen » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:42 am

I love the packaging of the sodas and also the size of them. The chance of getting a chase variant has also been a huge part of it!

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:15 am

I really like that they’re completely different from the pop line. And I always liked the concept of them right from the start. They’re small, compact and they’re easy to store. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

kristineisjoy

Postby kristineisjoy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:33 pm

i definitely cant get into it, because it would just make a bigger hole in my bank account LOL
LOVING MY FUNKOS!!!!

DisneyFan24

Postby DisneyFan24 » Wed May 01, 2024 2:43 am

I'm not a fan either.

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Wed May 01, 2024 3:01 am

The quality is noticable right when opening the soda. The paint, weight, and detail all look/feel great. They display well on a staggered shelf. Plus you get the “blind box” thrill from most of them checking if you pulled a chase. I like to open the bag without checking to pog. Adds to the fun!
Jorge, here! Instagram: toys.r.us.kid
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Fright Night II 2022 | Mask - O - Raid 2022 | FDO9 Sacramento | Funkon I & II

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 am

Toys R Us Kid wrote:The quality is noticable right when opening the soda. The paint, weight, and detail all look/feel great. They display well on a staggered shelf. Plus you get the “blind box” thrill from most of them checking if you pulled a chase. I like to open the bag without checking to pog. Adds to the fun!

I also enjoy the thrill of checking if I pulled a chase without looking at the pog. Something I'm all too familiar with with the Ramona Flowers and Halloween Freddy LOL

I'm glad we got a con exclusive Jiminy for C2E2. I was almost nervous since we haven't seen many Sodas come out this year.
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 807 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

Jalvarez

Postby Jalvarez » Wed May 01, 2024 9:00 am

dork_knight wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:The quality is noticable right when opening the soda. The paint, weight, and detail all look/feel great. They display well on a staggered shelf. Plus you get the “blind box” thrill from most of them checking if you pulled a chase. I like to open the bag without checking to pog. Adds to the fun!

I also enjoy the thrill of checking if I pulled a chase without looking at the pog. Something I'm all too familiar with with the Ramona Flowers and Halloween Freddy LOL

I'm glad we got a con exclusive Jiminy for C2E2. I was almost nervous since we haven't seen many Sodas come out this year.

It si true a few Sodas released this year. I still need a Meg to be with Hercules.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 → 2024
WonderCon 2019, 2022, 2023 → 2024
Fred Project Release Party
D23 Expo →2024
Fundays → Here We Go

Pops: 120 Sodas:10 Signed Pops 40 Signed Sodas: 5

Mawhonic7

Postby Mawhonic7 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:30 am

I like that both the figure and the can are both collectibles. The can always has an “on model” drawing of the character while the figure is a representation of the character in the Soda style.
Hi! I’m Eric

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed May 01, 2024 12:51 pm

Mawhonic7 wrote:I like that both the figure and the can are both collectibles. The can always has an “on model” drawing of the character while the figure is a representation of the character in the Soda style.

The 'on model' drawing of the character is something I appreciate about the packaging also :)
It's actually something that I miss from the POP! boxes that used to have a 2-D rendering of the figure.
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 807 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby emoagogo » Wed May 01, 2024 1:14 pm

Man, soda was such a beautiful thing at the beginning. It hit all the marks, great toy, fun packaging, limited numbers, hard to find, great pricing (at the beginning) and the thrill of looking for the chase. the original concept was that they were only to be sold in small businesses too, which was a plus to show support. All the figures were so wonderfully designed and had a lot of character for being smaller than pop, they had weight to them too, you were getting a solid chuck of vinyl and it felt great. Another great thing they did was they exclusively made really obscure characters that never get love. It was fun always wondering what random character would come next.
But of course with demand came larger number runs, it stopped feeling so special when supply chain caught up after covid. That also raised the price of packaging, sodas used to be $12 and ow are as high as $18. I look back fondly on the first couple waves of Funko soda, but if they catch your eye and you think they're cool there's plenty to collect! Definitely one of the best Funko products to exist.

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Wed May 01, 2024 1:21 pm

But how cool would it be if they filled the cans with soda and CO2 and it made a kshhhh sound when you opened it? You get a refreshing drink and a prize! Can't see any potential problems with that haha. Jokes aside, I loved the "chase" feeling of getting some of the earlier sets and convention pieces. They felt like finding some of the OG pop chases again. I mainly got into the TMNT sets and some convention stuff here and there, but I enjoy the size and that it forces you to be an OOB collector too!

Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Wed May 01, 2024 2:05 pm

Mawhonic7 wrote:I like that both the figure and the can are both collectibles. The can always has an “on model” drawing of the character while the figure is a representation of the character in the Soda style.

This is a big draw personally. The can artwork is amazing for a majority of characters! Plus add in the chase aspect and I personally enjoy the size/proportions of most of the figures! Big enough to enjoy the details, small enough to display a lot of! :cheers:
Hello! My name's David, nice to meet you!

Anime/Pokemon Collector

RobertFB6SI

Postby RobertFB6SI » Wed May 01, 2024 2:31 pm

The Bleach Fan wrote:Hi Everyone, I just started thinking about getting into soda. From the pros standpoint. What makes Soda pops special to you? Does it make the sound of opening a fresh cold soda when you open the can? Is it the feeling of reminiscing of times past? What is it? Do share?

Love the fact that the Sodas vinyl's come sealed outer pack & inner, and with plenty of packing material, so not a lot chance of damage. It is very rare that I see damage, I maybe have gotten 1 soda where the can was dented , but the vinyl itself is still in great condition.
:freddy2:

Lakerfan75

Postby Lakerfan75 » Wed May 01, 2024 2:35 pm

RobertFB6SI wrote:
The Bleach Fan wrote:Hi Everyone, I just started thinking about getting into soda. From the pros standpoint. What makes Soda pops special to you? Does it make the sound of opening a fresh cold soda when you open the can? Is it the feeling of reminiscing of times past? What is it? Do share?

Love the fact that the Sodas vinyl's come sealed outer pack & inner, and with plenty of packing material, so not a lot chance of damage. It is very rare that I see damage, I maybe have gotten 1 soda where the can was dented , but the vinyl itself is still in great condition.

I think this is the biggest benefit for Sodas, I love how the figures are pretty much always undamaged.

Kenshin21

Postby Kenshin21 » Wed May 01, 2024 3:23 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of the the way sodas look. But I like that almost all of them have a piece count to them. Also as a primary 4" collector, the space required is much less. Collectability is much higher as just about all have a chase version

Kenshin21

Postby Kenshin21 » Wed May 01, 2024 3:24 pm

Lakerfan75 wrote:
RobertFB6SI wrote:

I think this is the biggest benefit for Sodas, I love how the figures are pretty much always undamaged.

I never looked at it this way but you're absolutely right, they are packaged really well.

Hopesdenial

Postby Hopesdenial » Wed May 01, 2024 5:40 pm

It's nice because it's a mystery and you have a chance at chance. I also like the cans that they come in.
Image Image

"We come to this place for magic. We come to funkofunatic.com to laugh, to cry, to care. Because we need that, all of us."

Board name origin - I was an emo singer and guitarist; I'm not trying to sound mean lol

Swatrob

Postby Swatrob » Wed May 01, 2024 7:29 pm

Size is a big deal and they are definitely space savers. But I dig the figures a lot. I also like that idea of getting a chase and not knowing. With a pop chases are hard to come by. With sodas you never know plus some of the chase are super cool and have completely different molds.
Walking Dead Super Fan, collector of random sets, Harry Potter, Star Wars, horror, Disney, and a few other here and there. Funko Funclub member. Have luckily attended Fundays, collecting since early 2000’s.

funkoldblooded

Postby funkoldblooded » Wed May 01, 2024 8:44 pm

Space and the thrill of getting a chase

Ohlordypops

Postby Ohlordypops » Wed May 01, 2024 8:53 pm

I enjoy the characters, the chance of chase (especially when there was a mold change between common and chase) and how I can display them on my shelves with my pops.
Hi! It's Lauren
IG & Twitter: Ohlordypops
Follow me on Instagram: @ohlordypops

CAHLEB

Postby CAHLEB » Thu May 02, 2024 8:13 am

I loved the anticipation of opening up a chase, especially when the molds are really different between the two.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Thu May 02, 2024 8:32 am

If I'm honest, the smaller the better when it comes to collecting because you have more room to display. I "kind of" wish sodas had come out and been huge before pops, I would have so much more room for them, lol.

The only negative is the lack of customizations with bits and pieces sticking out or whatever, which sodas don't have, so they'd be less interesting, kind of like the first molds of pop when they all had the same stance and minimal detail. :D
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 750ish
Dorbz: 35
Mystery Minis: 33
Sodas: 7
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

nerdgirlbritt

Postby nerdgirlbritt » Thu May 02, 2024 2:42 pm

I came here to discover the same thing.

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Thu May 02, 2024 3:36 pm

Jezter wrote:If I'm honest, the smaller the better when it comes to collecting because you have more room to display. I "kind of" wish sodas had come out and been huge before pops, I would have so much more room for them, lol.

The only negative is the lack of customizations with bits and pieces sticking out or whatever, which sodas don't have, so they'd be less interesting, kind of like the first molds of pop when they all had the same stance and minimal detail. :D

Really good points, I like being able to display both the can and figure and not having to worry about box condition.
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

TheSecondKira

Postby TheSecondKira » Thu May 02, 2024 5:55 pm

Opening it up to find out of it's a chase or not is pretty fun, but I've only collected a couple of them.
They're not my cup of tea, urm, cup of soda.
Started collecting: June 2015, Favorite lines: Pop Vinyl and Mystery Mini
First Pop: Heimdall, First Convention Pop: Red Eye Frieza, Fave Grail: SDCC Billy (Saw)
Favorite completed sets: Firefly, Michael Jackson, One Piece and Community, Most owned category: Animation

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:01 pm

thebigdog14 wrote:I like how collectible they are. The figure designs are suoer cool and they cans add an extra level being unique. Very few companies make a container so collectible.

I do like uniqueness of the containers.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:08 pm

sealordbrian wrote:I like the size. When your primary collection are Pops and they are in-box, the sodas make for a great accessory to that collection.

Great point, because I do have a lot of Pops. Variety is the spice of life.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:09 pm

Biscuithead Jen wrote:I love the packaging of the sodas and also the size of them. The chance of getting a chase variant has also been a huge part of it!

I love Chase Pops. A soda chase variant would be a super cool addition to my Pops.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:11 pm

lavery01 wrote:I really like that they’re completely different from the pop line. And I always liked the concept of them right from the start. They’re small, compact and they’re easy to store. lol

I totally could use more room and a soda is small and compact.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:12 pm

kristineisjoy wrote:i definitely cant get into it, because it would just make a bigger hole in my bank account LOL

That is what I was thinking (more cost) but a dash of soda here and there in my collection would be nice.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:15 pm

Nice. I too love the experience of opening a soda (beverage) but opening it as a Funko soda seems cool and if it was a chase even better.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:35 pm

Jalvarez wrote:
dork_knight wrote:

It si true a few Sodas released this year. I still need a Meg to be with Hercules.

I noticed you both mentioned a pog. I remember what pogs are from the 90's/2000's but what does it mean with the soda?

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:37 pm

dork_knight wrote:

The 'on model' drawing of the character is something I appreciate about the packaging also :)
It's actually something that I miss from the POP! boxes that used to have a 2-D rendering of the figure.

That's really cool. I look forward to looking for the drawing

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:45 pm

emoagogo wrote:Man, soda was such a beautiful thing at the beginning. It hit all the marks, great toy, fun packaging, limited numbers, hard to find, great pricing (at the beginning) and the thrill of looking for the chase. the original concept was that they were only to be sold in small businesses too, which was a plus to show support. All the figures were so wonderfully designed and had a lot of character for being smaller than pop, they had weight to them too, you were getting a solid chuck of vinyl and it felt great. Another great thing they did was they exclusively made really obscure characters that never get love. It was fun always wondering what random character would come next.
But of course with demand came larger number runs, it stopped feeling so special when supply chain caught up after covid. That also raised the price of packaging, sodas used to be $12 and ow are as high as $18. I look back fondly on the first couple waves of Funko soda, but if they catch your eye and you think they're cool there's plenty to collect! Definitely one of the best Funko products to exist.

Thank you. That is great soda history. Things like what everyone is listing are great reasons to start adding soda to my Funko life.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:49 pm

Oatmealman wrote:But how cool would it be if they filled the cans with soda and CO2 and it made a kshhhh sound when you opened it? You get a refreshing drink and a prize! Can't see any potential problems with that haha. Jokes aside, I loved the "chase" feeling of getting some of the earlier sets and convention pieces. They felt like finding some of the OG pop chases again. I mainly got into the TMNT sets and some convention stuff here and there, but I enjoy the size and that it forces you to be an OOB collector too!

Agreed with the kshhh sound, lol. Epic concept, lol. I will definitely be paying more attention at this year's conventions.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:53 pm

Elviax wrote:

This is a big draw personally. The can artwork is amazing for a majority of characters! Plus add in the chase aspect and I personally enjoy the size/proportions of most of the figures! Big enough to enjoy the details, small enough to display a lot of! :cheers:

I am excited to check out the soda this year at Comic Con. I love artsy items so the can will be an eye catcher for me. Maybe at Funkoville they will have a soda storefront. As I will be looking for it this year.

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Thu May 02, 2024 6:56 pm

RobertFB6SI wrote:

True, a dent is a great indicator of damage. The can as art and protection. Love it.

Return to “Soda”