FUNKO New Item Idea (Touch-up Paint)

Talk about Funko Force, Quogs, Plastik, Nodniks, Blox, Vinyl Vixens, Vinyl Idolz, Super Deluxe, and other FUN Funko vinyl toys here.
Forum rules
If you're posting about vinyl made by any company other than Funko, please use the "It's Not Funko" forum. Thank you!
hawkswin2008

FUNKO New Item Idea (Touch-up Paint)

Postby hawkswin2008 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Good Morning Funko World,

As I am not sure what forum this topic/idea belongs on but am an avid mystery mini collector I figured I will post this here and see if the mod's move it somewhere. I have an idea that might appeal to a lot of FUNKO avid collectors, but am not sure if it is even possible. I know a lot of Pops/minis get dropped, damaged shipping, by pets, kids, or however paint may chip or ware off of a figure. Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for FUNKO to offer little vials of touch up paint for various lines of pops or minis? For example, the skin tone on most game of thrones or walking dead seems to be a similar color and I would be interested in ordering this if it were available (black too).

This is just an idea as I have ordered some series 1 minis that have been a little chipped or banged up over time and this would be nice to fix them up. Maybe I am the only one with this issue and no one will notice this topic, but I am just putting it out there. Thoughts? Suggestions, good or bad? Feel free to post, no worries just looking for input of others.
John :freddy3:

Mystery Mini Collection - 411 total

Full Sets - Walking Dead Series 1-4 , Fallout & Fallout 4, Blizzard HOTS, Arkham Games, Disney Frozen, Game of Thrones Series 1-3, Game of Thrones In Memoriam, Horror Classics Series 1-3, Sci-Fi Series 1-2, Best of Bethesda, League of Legends, Gears of War, World of Warcraft (Why though?)
In Progress - Lord of the Rings

AquaticNeon

Re: FUNKO New Item Idea (Touch-up Paint)

Postby AquaticNeon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:54 am

I have thought of this exact same thing before, I say yes I wish they did this!
ISO: My Little Pony Vinyl Protos White or Color (Still searching 2023 have a spot saved on my shelf!)

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:06 am

The only problem may be if people get the exact paint colors/mixes Funko uses, people with less than honorable integrity may try scamming...imagine a metallic paint issued by Funko, used by a con to make fake custom chases...YIKES!
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

wenhol8710

Postby wenhol8710 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:56 am

thejosh2010 wrote:The only problem may be if people get the exact paint colors/mixes Funko uses, people with less than honorable integrity may try scamming...imagine a metallic paint issued by Funko, used by a con to make fake custom chases...YIKES!

I agree. I don't see this ever happening for this exact reason. There's already a huge issue with fakes and scrappers from the Chinese market on eBay, this would just lead to bigger issues locally - some dishonest people out there are already making fakes of exclusives that would fool a less informed collector with just paint from the craft store.
wenhol8710 on Instagram

hawkswin2008

Postby hawkswin2008 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Yea I thought that could happen. Maybe just have general paint that regular figures have...so black, skin tones, etc. Not exclusive metallic, golds, reds(blood), any color that would distinguish a chase figure, etc. Besides those aren't the typical figures that get damaged (at least id hope ppl take better care of the chase figures). Either way i doubt this will happen.
John :freddy3:

Mystery Mini Collection - 411 total

Full Sets - Walking Dead Series 1-4 , Fallout & Fallout 4, Blizzard HOTS, Arkham Games, Disney Frozen, Game of Thrones Series 1-3, Game of Thrones In Memoriam, Horror Classics Series 1-3, Sci-Fi Series 1-2, Best of Bethesda, League of Legends, Gears of War, World of Warcraft (Why though?)
In Progress - Lord of the Rings

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:44 pm

If you bring the figure to a half way decent art or hobby store anyone working there should be able to match it for you. Or hell, use the paint match thing at Home Depot lol
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:31 am

I have tried repainting the Funko ponies- customizing or just fixing wonk-eye- and the plastic does not take acrylic paint very well (tends to peel). I wonder how they get the paint to stick so well?

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:54 am

Galacticat wrote:I have tried repainting the Funko ponies- customizing or just fixing wonk-eye- and the plastic does not take acrylic paint very well (tends to peel). I wonder how they get the paint to stick so well?

You need to use a primer, which im sure they do.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:
Galacticat wrote:I have tried repainting the Funko ponies- customizing or just fixing wonk-eye- and the plastic does not take acrylic paint very well (tends to peel). I wonder how they get the paint to stick so well?

Well I do spray a primer coat on- but it is just not sticky enough I guess. I am thinking washing the ponies and maybe some sanding might help...

Sarcasticguy

Postby Sarcasticguy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Galacticat wrote:
Sarcasticguy wrote:

Well I do spray a primer coat on- but it is just not sticky enough I guess. I am thinking washing the ponies and maybe some sanding might help...

It might be your primer or even your paint? Sanding is going to leave microscratches.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

frankusho

Postby frankusho » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:18 pm

I think it's the type of paint they use. I'm guessing it's not water-based paint. Maybe a lacquer-type paint, which sticks better to surfaces??? When prepping, like you mentioned, wash it down with water. This will remove any oil and dirt.

If you are using acrylic paints, make sure you seal it with a matte finish spray when you are finished painting. I use a Krylon brand "Matte finish. This protects the paint and helps it stick. For removing paint, try acetone (in a well-ventilated area) instead of sand paper. However, this will get rid of ALL the paint down to the vinyl base.

alf_ie

Postby alf_ie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:
Galacticat wrote:
Sarcasticguy wrote:

It might be your primer or even your paint? Sanding is going to leave microscratches.

The higher the sandpaper grit, the better. I suggest using anything 400+ and finer. The minimal scratching would be covered up by the paint anyway. You should be able to buff out the paint and expose the bare surface which will be a perfect surface for the acrylic point. Be sure to use a good paint too. I use Testors and Tamiya paints. You get what you pay for if you use the Walmart paints .
Fundays
2014 San Diego
2015 San Diego
2016 San Diego
2017 San Diego
2022 San Diego
2023 San Diego

Funkoween
2016 San Diego

Making Fun Movie Premiere
2018 Hollywood

FunKon
2021 Hollywood

IN SEARCH OF: 2011 Funko Freddy Flav any color
IN SEARCH OF: 2023 Funko Freddy Lex Luthor

Funko_Bandido

Postby Funko_Bandido » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:14 pm

frankusho wrote:

I think it's the type of paint they use. I'm guessing it's not water-based paint. Maybe a lacquer-type paint, which sticks better to surfaces??? When prepping, like you mentioned, wash it down with water. This will remove any oil and dirt.

If you are using acrylic paints, make sure you seal it with a matte finish spray when you are finished painting. I use a Krylon brand "Matte finish. This protects the paint and helps it stick. For removing paint, try acetone (in a well-ventilated area) instead of sand paper. However, this will get rid of ALL the paint down to the vinyl base.

Does using acetone not eat-through the plastic?
On the topic, there's way too many varieties of colors and would be hell to match.
I'm Bandido or George !
Instagram: BandidoToys

Mystery Mini Checklist https://goo.gl/IzBVJx
Funko Member # : 11130
Mystery Mini Count: Over 400
Pop Count : Around 150

Image ImageImage

Return to “Vinyl”