Does Vynl Have Pop Potential?

Talk about Funko Force, Quogs, Plastik, Nodniks, Blox, Vinyl Vixens, Vinyl Idolz, Super Deluxe, and other FUN Funko vinyl toys here.
Forum rules
If you're posting about vinyl made by any company other than Funko, please use the "It's Not Funko" forum. Thank you!
Ilovefunko

Re: Does Vynl Have Pop Potential?

Postby Ilovefunko » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm

I bought the heat miser and snow miser vynls for Christmas decorations. The snow miser fell off the shelf and his hand and nose broke off. Seem kind of fragile, won’t buy anymore unless on clearance.

Funkocinco

Postby Funkocinco » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

I don't think they will be as popular, but I will collect any Funko line if it's part of a particular fandom that I love to collect (i.e. Stranger things, Harry Potter etc). And Funko knows this, too! lol :)

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:38 pm

Not [i]as[i] popular as Pop!s, but still popular, just as long as they expand it across multiple fandoms.
Yes... we're still here! Hoping Fundays 2024 will be my first! :bounce:

alexfromBHAS

Postby alexfromBHAS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Lyndsay_wagner wrote:First off, I am an extreme Funko fan. Anything that they produce I love- so some may seem I am biased. However, I really like the Vynl line. I think it gives another look to out favorite characters. I know many people do not like them, however many people did not like Dorbz when they first came out. I think with the popular lines and people getting use to the form they will soon become a fan favorite.

I agree! When Vynl was first announced I was skeptical. I didn't like the look of Jack and Sally and wasn't sure about the square body style. But then I saw the christmas ones in person and I fell in love. I see a lot of potential with Vynl, Funko can really capitalize on the facial expressions. Like the eyes on the penny wise one and Georgie's sad face? I LOVE it. I agree that it'll take people some time to find characters they like the Vynl style for. (Like Dorbz, it did indeed take a little while)
As far as exploding in popularity like Pops? I have no idea but I can't wait for more Vynl releases. :compress:

Nellekeller

Postby Nellekeller » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:27 am

I like Vynls but they wont become as popular as the Pops. They will outshine Wobblers and maybe tie with Dorbz if they make some cool Ridez

Showtime3

Postby Showtime3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 am

cute but not sure it can last, the ones they have so far are sitting on shelves
Image Image
Image Image

cee127

Postby cee127 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 am

gumbyack454 wrote:Does anyone here think that the New Vynl series has the potential to be as popular as the Funko Pops?

I do def
:freddy3: c3e
IG: megab0x
ISO: 9in fred Batman blue suit (LE24)
Have 9in fred Batman black suit for trade

cee127

Postby cee127 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 am

Showtime3 wrote:cute but not sure it can last, the ones they have so far are sitting on shelves

Not if it’s batman huh

cee127

Postby cee127 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:06 am

alexfromBHAS wrote:
Lyndsay_wagner wrote:First off, I am an extreme Funko fan. Anything that they produce I love- so some may seem I am biased. However, I really like the Vynl line. I think it gives another look to out favorite characters. I know many people do not like them, however many people did not like Dorbz when they first came out. I think with the popular lines and people getting use to the form they will soon become a fan favorite.

I agree! When Vynl was first announced I was skeptical. I didn't like the look of Jack and Sally and wasn't sure about the square body style. But then I saw the christmas ones in person and I fell in love. I see a lot of potential with Vynl, Funko can really capitalize on the facial expressions. Like the eyes on the penny wise one and Georgie's sad face? I LOVE it. I agree that it'll take people some time to find characters they like the Vynl style for. (Like Dorbz, it did indeed take a little while)
As far as exploding in popularity like Pops? I have no idea but I can't wait for more Vynl releases. :compress:

Hey Alex!! Good points

cee127

Postby cee127 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 am

TriFeckTa wrote:I don't think so. Aside from their abnormally large head and eyes, pop's have a lot more "realistic details" than Vynl does. I would say Vynl figures are a lot more stylized then pops are. And because of that, i don't think they can reach the level of popularity. Also i would think that, unless Pops suffered a huge decline in popularity, not a whole lot of Funko's different lines can be as popular as Pops are.

True and good seeing u today

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:11 am

cee127 wrote:
TriFeckTa wrote:I don't think so. Aside from their abnormally large head and eyes, pop's have a lot more "realistic details" than Vynl does. I would say Vynl figures are a lot more stylized then pops are. And because of that, i don't think they can reach the level of popularity. Also i would think that, unless Pops suffered a huge decline in popularity, not a whole lot of Funko's different lines can be as popular as Pops are.

True and good seeing u today

Hey man, nice seeing you too!
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

Hashtaghappysteph

Postby Hashtaghappysteph » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 am

They are more of a cartoonish appeal hence the joining of vinyl and animation :) I personally love them, but not sure they have Funko Pop appeal

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 am

I really like the Vynl line, but I think a lot of collectors are in the same boat I am where I am just already so overrun with Pops and Dorbz that I refuse to start collecting a new line that is so similar to existing lines. I don't have the display space nor the storage space to start another collection. I've already cut WAY back on my Dorbz and Pop purchasing and frankly am always looking for reasons -not- to buy new stuff! I wish they had made Vnyl smaller, I think the fact that they have slightly less detail than Pops would have lended itself well to making them Dorbz-sized instead of Pop-sized. If they were smaller I'd be very tempted to pick some up, but they are so big (especially in their double-boxes) that it makes it an easy "no".
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am

I don't know if they will get all the way up to Pop! status of popularity (no pun intended) but I see them lasting a while. I absolutely love them and once Funko starts pumping out my favorite licenses as VNYL. I know I'll have to buy them. I see lots of people hating on them but nowadays it seems like if it isn't a Pop! it's "trash". So here's hoping people give them more of a chance. I'm would love for this line to explode so I can get some of my favorite characters in this format.
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 am

Gothamite wrote:I only collect DC characters, and I thought about getting the Harley/Joker set so that I could pair Harley with Poison Ivy from my Batgirl/PI set. However, pix of the final production pieces convinced me to limit myself to only Batgirl from this line.

The Joker/Harley pair is pretty fantastic. Treat yourself.

Personally, I like the line. I don't think they'll be as popular as Pops, but I think that's true of everything else that Funko makes right now. If they want to be as big as Pops, then the two packs will have to give way to individual releases. The two-packs are great, but I think one of the figures will always be the one that people really want, and that they won't buy a two-pack because they don't want the extra piece. They also need to tweak the bodies so they're less boxy. The slower rollout is a good. I think Dorbz got hurt because they put out too much too soon. They're pacing those releases better now, but the damage is already done. I think that's why there's the perception that 'Nobody collects Dorbz'.

Bring on Hellboy and Abe!
Funklub: 11181

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 am

Squird wrote:They also need to tweak the bodies so they're less boxy.

Vynl is defined by the boxy bodies, tho. If Funko starts using more sculpted bodies, these would just be Pops with mouths.

VaultToysTX

Postby VaultToysTX » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 am

Id really hope so because I like the design of Vynls more then pops. Of course its all speculation. No one saw pops becoming what they are today 6 years ago.
ImageImage Image Image

ISO Fallout PROTOS Piper and dorbz.

Squird

Postby Squird » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Gothamite wrote:

Vynl is defined by the boxy bodies, tho. If Funko starts using more sculpted bodies, these would just be Pops with mouths.

They don't have to go to fully sculpted, poseable bodies, but they just need a little tweak because they seem almost afterthought-ish. Just my opinion.

I love the expressions on the faces. I love that the faces have expressions instead of the dead-eye pop stare. It's a fun line and I hope it continues.

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Squird wrote:
Gothamite wrote:

They don't have to go to fully sculpted, poseable bodies, but they just need a little tweak because they seem almost afterthought-ish. Just my opinion.

I love the expressions on the faces. I love that the faces have expressions instead of the dead-eye pop stare. It's a fun line and I hope it continues.

I am on the opposite side of this argument, I love the simple boxy bodies. I think that is VYNL's dead pop eyes, the one common feature across the line.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:36 pm

funkystark wrote:
Squird wrote:
Gothamite wrote:

I am on the opposite side of this argument, I love the simple boxy bodies. I think that is VYNL's dead pop eyes, the one common feature across the line.

Agreed, the angled box bodies creates a visual consistency across the line and defines the VYNL format. I love the eyes and the personalty the unique/individual faces bring to the format, personal the Pop dead eyes have grown stale for me and often feel like they lack the personality of the characters because of that.

Take a look through Kibookied/Evil Corps instagram page for the potential that the line could have. While I agree single packs might have been the key to their long term popularity at $15 for 2 AKA $7.50 a figure the price point is fantastic!

I do wish they were selling better on the local level. Maybe it is just here and being a smaller city but Rick & Morty and the Christmas VYNL sets blew out of HT but since then they seem slow movers at TRU and Gamestop. I've stopped ordering them online for now to try and support local shops in hopes that they keep ordering them.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Squird

Postby Squird » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:09 pm

I've been through Kibookied's IG. Vnyl could be awesome. Time will tell. I would like to see more marvel eventually. I know we're getting Deadpool, but I think we'll always get Deadpool.

And BTW:

DEADPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

case
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby case » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Got the Cap N Crunch other day it looks pretty sweet. I'm excited for the upcoming Vnyl Hellboy and Deadpool Vynl. Also, a big fan of Kibookied!
FDO 6-7-8-9
Fundays 2014-15-16-17-18-19-23
SDCC 2014-15-16-17-18-19-23
Funko Fright Night, HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun, Wetmore Block Party

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Squird wrote:I've been through Kibookied's IG. Vnyl could be awesome. Time will tell. I would like to see more marvel eventually. I know we're getting Deadpool, but I think we'll always get Deadpool.

And BTW:

DEADPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget Cable too! ;-)

Glad to see the Marvel bobble head curse is not in effect for VYNL.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Hoodrat_jedi

Postby Hoodrat_jedi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 am

I think so. Vynil is my second favorite line of Funko. The MOTI and Thundercats Vynils are off the hook (and didn’t cost me a paycheck to get).
SDCC 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
ECCC 2018
Fundays 2017
“Making Fun" Hollywood Premiere 2017
Mask-O-Raid 2018

Main ISO's :
She-Ra
SDCC 2014 Flocked Lion-O
SDCC 2014 GITD Mumm-Ra

“The Dude Abides" :-"

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm

There are some great looking pieces in this line, but I don't think they get anywhere near Pop! popularity. I think the 2-pack idea hurts it a bit but more than that I think there are just too many vinyl figures in the market currently. The next big thing will be something different.

conventiongeek

Postby conventiongeek » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:45 pm

I think that if they start to sell the Vynl as individuals, they could become a bit more popular. Also, just needs more time as the Pops have been around a long time. i remember when i though the pops! looked plain and didn't think they were so cool. It's like the LEGO brickheads, which are about 2 years in now and are starting to gain popularity.

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:38 pm

I feel like the vnyls have a little more personality than pops. They have a little more expression instead of those giant black eyes.

Squird

Postby Squird » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:05 pm

case wrote:Got the Cap N Crunch other day it looks pretty sweet. I'm excited for the upcoming Vnyl Hellboy and Deadpool Vynl. Also, a big fan of Kibookied!

Hellboy and Abe are spectacular. I found a set this week. Hellboy has is the first Vnyl I have bought that can stand without the stand. Helps that he has a tail.

glassflippers

Postby glassflippers » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:23 pm

Ant-Man & The Wasp would be incredibly cute Vynl. I cannot wait til we start seeing Marvel Vynl, and pray there is no reason they need to bobble.

conventiongeek

Postby conventiongeek » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:26 am

glassflippers wrote:Ant-Man & The Wasp would be incredibly cute Vynl. I cannot wait til we start seeing Marvel Vynl, and pray there is no reason they need to bobble.

That's a great start! Nice idea! There are a lot of pairs out there they could work with for sure.

ssdautocity

Postby ssdautocity » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:14 pm

conventiongeek wrote:
glassflippers wrote:Ant-Man & The Wasp would be incredibly cute Vynl. I cannot wait til we start seeing Marvel Vynl, and pray there is no reason they need to bobble.

That's a great start! Nice idea! There are a lot of pairs out there they could work with for sure.

That would be a awesome I would love for an Ant-Man and the Wasp. \:D/ :bounce:

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:37 pm

I really like how easy it is to collect the Vinyl line at the moment. They look great and you can get a lot of them with minimal effort. As this is the case I hope they don't get as big and sought after as pops
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

jimma

Postby jimma » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 pm

They are so much more detailed than Pops. I could see the line taking off within the next year or so
ImageImageImageImage

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:48 pm

gumbyack454 wrote:Does anyone here think that the New Vynl series has the potential to be as popular as the Funko Pops?

I think this line is totally underrated. I was trying to stay away, but can never do it. The design and expressions are so cool. Picked up Freddy and Jason first. Then the Thundercats. Life Aquatic. And now I started the Cereal ad icons :P

Hop on the Vynl train, y'all ;)
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 794 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

conventiongeek

Postby conventiongeek » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:27 pm

I like the Snow and Heat Miser set from Santa Claus in Coming to Town. Any of the classic "Christmas Special" figures are great!

monktoast

Postby monktoast » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:36 pm

I don't like them all that much for some reason..but as others said..I will get ones that fall under my favorite lines. Already got the cereal ones..hoping they drop the other chars boo berry ect
Image Image

Kungfutoys

Postby Kungfutoys » Wed May 02, 2018 4:09 am

Classier wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:
jimma wrote:It won't be as popular as Pops, nothing will

People said the same thing about Wobblers.

Eventually something will probably overtake Pops, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Wobblers were never "the" collectible though. Most collectors bought action figures to fill their collecting needs, but pops are kind of the go-to now.

From 1998 to 2010 Wacky Wobblers were all the craze! You just weren’t around back then to see it!
:freddy3:
Funko Funatic Since 1999
2002 FunKlub Member #0037
Funko Events Attended:
2002 1st Fundays at Sparky’s until the last Fundays at SDCC 2023
2016 Funko Fright Night
2017 Everett Headquarters Grand Opening
2018 Making Fun Hollywood Premier
2019 Hollywood Store Grand Opening
2021 FunKon Hollywood
2022 Funko Fright Night 2 NYCC
2023 Funko Fundays

tlaloc666

Postby tlaloc666 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:15 am

I like more the vynl figures than Dorbz.

In order of like i put:

Wacky wobblers
Pops
Spastik plastiks
Hikari
Vynl
Kyko here !!

Tik tok : @kyko_tj
Tijuana The Happiest Place on Earth !!

Funko events attended
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night
Fundays 2017
Premiere Making Fun
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
HQ Hollywood Opening 2019
ECCC VIrtual Con 2020
Summer Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2021
Funko Fright Night 2 NYC 2022

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 am

Love this line. But I didn't at the start. I think if they did more limited runs of these it will have the potential to over take pops.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Jortega321

Postby Jortega321 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:13 am

Unfortunately, I don’t think so.
2013 NYCC
2014 1st Pop at NYCC
2014 NYCC
2015 NYCC
2016 NYCC
2017 NYCC
2018 NYCC
2018 1st Proto at NYCC Fugitive Party