Does Vynl Have Pop Potential?

Talk about Funko Force, Quogs, Plastik, Nodniks, Blox, Vinyl Vixens, Vinyl Idolz, Super Deluxe, and other FUN Funko vinyl toys here.
Forum rules
If you're posting about vinyl made by any company other than Funko, please use the "It's Not Funko" forum. Thank you!
gumbyack454

Does Vynl Have Pop Potential?

Postby gumbyack454 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 am

Does anyone here think that the New Vynl series has the potential to be as popular as the Funko Pops?

TriFeckTa

Re: Does Vynl Have Pop Potential?

Postby TriFeckTa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm

I don't think so. Aside from their abnormally large head and eyes, pop's have a lot more "realistic details" than Vynl does. I would say Vynl figures are a lot more stylized then pops are. And because of that, i don't think they can reach the level of popularity. Also i would think that, unless Pops suffered a huge decline in popularity, not a whole lot of Funko's different lines can be as popular as Pops are.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

post31

Postby post31 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 pm

That would be awesome cause I love this line and that will guarantee it sticks around. Out of all of the other lines of Funko products I believe these are the one that might come closest to doing it. Mostly because of that adorable head to body ratio.
SDCC 1998 - current
Fundays 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Pop Rangers, Killer Crowns, Lumberjacks
FDO8 2018 LA
FDO9 2023 SD
Making Fun premier
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funkon 2021

gumbyack454

Postby gumbyack454 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 pm

I’m thinking so too. I really love the Vnyl line. When the Disney and Star Wars roll out I’m sure these will explode!

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 pm

TriFeckTa wrote:I don't think so. Aside from their abnormally large head and eyes, pop's have a lot more "realistic details" than Vynl does. I would say Vynl figures are a lot more stylized then pops are. And because of that, i don't think they can reach the level of popularity. Also i would think that, unless Pops suffered a huge decline in popularity, not a whole lot of Funko's different lines can be as popular as Pops are.

Yeah, for their size, Vynl figures lack the level of detail that we're used to seeing with Pops. Just for kicks, I made a crude copy/paste of the Batgirl of Burnside Pop body over the Vynl body. It looks much better, even though I like the selfie smartphone pose.

Original side-by-side pic:
Last edited by Gothamite on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastmidnight

Postby lastmidnight » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:06 am

Gothamite wrote:
TriFeckTa wrote:I don't think so. Aside from their abnormally large head and eyes, pop's have a lot more "realistic details" than Vynl does. I would say Vynl figures are a lot more stylized then pops are. And because of that, i don't think they can reach the level of popularity. Also i would think that, unless Pops suffered a huge decline in popularity, not a whole lot of Funko's different lines can be as popular as Pops are.

Yeah, for their size, Vynl figures lack the level of detail that we're used to seeing with Pops. Just for kicks, I made a crude copy/paste of the Batgirl of Burnside Pop body over the Vynl body. It looks much better, even though I like the selfie smartphone pose.

This is the perfect mix of the two! I wish these existed, because I love the VYNL heads, but not the bodies.

Nevertheless, don't own any VYNL but they look fantastic and I hope they make many, many more.
ImageImage
Hello! My name is Kate. / Pop Count: 702 / PSH Count: 136

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 am

Gothamite wrote:

That is a pretty cute mashup. But yeah i will always prefer pops over all else, because its seems to have the perfect amount of stylization which translates well for most figures.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

kingdomcustoms

Postby kingdomcustoms » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:46 am

I can't see them being more popular or, frankly, anywhere near as popular, personally, but some are quite cool. My mum has the Wizard of Oz ones and they're really awesome, it's just a shame they didn't do the Lion and Tin Man. I'll probably end up getting Pennywise/Georgie but now they're doing a Georgie Pop I'm not too sure.
:freddy2:
Pop Count: ~300; Latest: Spirit Mufasa
Dorbz Count: 70; Latest: Huckleberry Hound 8-pack
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest: Belle
Favourite Pop's: Hades Chase, Pain & Panic, Lord Drakkon
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 5 PSH, 48 Dorbz, 17 Misc; Most Recent: Kermit PSH

geekypeeples

Postby geekypeeples » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:28 am

Vynl are excellent and a nice hybrid between dorbz and Pops. They will most certainly have a loyal fan base that looks to conitinue to be growing as it seems Funko aint letting up on creation and production of more lines. As far as potential popularity to Pops anything in the collectible market is possible but id say the rich history and storied connection Pops have to bobble heads and our pop culture landscape will keep them on top as this generations top collectible contirbution to history.
Be well and blessed; g'journey and Keep Lovin' this Pop Life!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Anrock10

Postby Anrock10 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:29 am

I think some are a hit and miss

Lyndsay_wagner

Postby Lyndsay_wagner » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 am

First off, I am an extreme Funko fan. Anything that they produce I love- so some may seem I am biased. However, I really like the Vynl line. I think it gives another look to out favorite characters. I know many people do not like them, however many people did not like Dorbz when they first came out. I think with the popular lines and people getting use to the form they will soon become a fan favorite.
ImageImage
Image ImageImageImage
Instagram: Lyndsaywagner

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:47 am

I don't know if they will be as popular as pops. But I don't know what ever will be in the collectible world. Not just for funko but in general.

I actually miss the early days of pops when they were a little more simplistic and less detailed. Doesn't stop me from continuing to buy pops lol

Lara

Looking for Care Bear Protos

MyLittleFunkos
HoF 2016 & CotY
HoF 2016 & CotY

Postby MyLittleFunkos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:49 am

It's really hard to gauge what will be a hit and what won't. Personally, I think VYNL are really cool but I've only bought the R&M set. Not because I didn't like them but because of lack of space. I'm sure I'll be adding more if there are a few Iron Man pieces made.
I'm Abe

jimma

Postby jimma » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 am

It won't be as popular as Pops, nothing will
ImageImageImageImage

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48 am

jimma wrote:It won't be as popular as Pops, nothing will

People said the same thing about Wobblers.

Eventually something will probably overtake Pops, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Classier

Postby Classier » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:19 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:
jimma wrote:It won't be as popular as Pops, nothing will

People said the same thing about Wobblers.

Eventually something will probably overtake Pops, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Wobblers were never "the" collectible though. Most collectors bought action figures to fill their collecting needs, but pops are kind of the go-to now.

Funko_Don

Postby Funko_Don » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Although I didn't want to get into the Vynl line, I quickly had a change of heart. I love this line. That being said, Pops got me into the Funko craze, and then Dorbz, but I don't think I could handle Vynl on the scale of Pops/Dorbz. I'm kind of enjoying them being released at about the pace they are at right now, maybe even a bit slower!
WHAT AM I DOING?!?!?!

ImageImageImageImage

carlcarlson1

Postby carlcarlson1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:31 pm

Pops are pretty huge...not sure Vynl will be that big. But you never know.
I’m Luke. Freddy Funko is my financial advisor #-o

gumbyack454

Postby gumbyack454 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:52 pm

I’m just hoping they stick around for a long time. I started to collect the Vinyl Idolz and they died out. These hoping appeal more to people than the idolz did.

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:59 pm

gumbyack454 wrote:I’m just hoping they stick around for a long time. I started to collect the Vinyl Idolz and they died out. These hoping appeal more to people than the idolz did.

I was really into Vinyl Idolz and love the small collection of them that I do have including the SDCC and NYCC exclusives.

Vynl I've been digging. I have a few sets but for me, Pop is always number 1. It's true you never know at first what's going to hit big or end up being scaled back or discontinued completely. Personally, I never saw Dorbz taking off like they have. These days there are plenty of folks on the forum whose collection is primarily or even entirely Dorbz. On the same note back to Vinyl Idolz, I thought those would do much better than they did. But I'm just a collector, no clue what appeals to the masses.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

bluesnote

Postby bluesnote » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Not sure. I just don't see the hype about them. Nothing too special since the sculpt is about the same, and it's just boxy figures. Maybe one day, but who knows.

Mawhonic7

Postby Mawhonic7 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:06 am

So far, there haven’t been any Vynl sets that fit my collections but i like the design aesthetic and as soon as Funko announces a Star Wars Vynl I will be in. Wouid love to see a Freddy Vynl too.
Hi! I’m Eric

lastmidnight

Postby lastmidnight » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:11 am

kingdomcustoms wrote:I can't see them being more popular or, frankly, anywhere near as popular, personally, but some are quite cool. My mum has the Wizard of Oz ones and they're really awesome, it's just a shame they didn't do the Lion and Tin Man. I'll probably end up getting Pennywise/Georgie but now they're doing a Georgie Pop I'm not too sure.

I absolutely love the Wizard of Oz ones! And it's a lot cheaper then going out and finding the Pops at this point, which is a plus. Agree, I hope they make the Lion and Tin Man, which could easily be a set, and then the wicked witch and Glinda!

And definitely getting the Pennywise/Georgie set. I'll probably get the Georgie Pop as well, but there is something about this Pennywise that blows the Pop versions out of the water. Hands down my fav VYNL design to date, and a must have!
ImageImage
Hello! My name is Kate. / Pop Count: 702 / PSH Count: 136

kingdomcustoms

Postby kingdomcustoms » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:37 am

lastmidnight wrote:
kingdomcustoms wrote:I can't see them being more popular or, frankly, anywhere near as popular, personally, but some are quite cool. My mum has the Wizard of Oz ones and they're really awesome, it's just a shame they didn't do the Lion and Tin Man. I'll probably end up getting Pennywise/Georgie but now they're doing a Georgie Pop I'm not too sure.

I absolutely love the Wizard of Oz ones! And it's a lot cheaper then going out and finding the Pops at this point, which is a plus. Agree, I hope they make the Lion and Tin Man, which could easily be a set, and then the wicked witch and Glinda!

And definitely getting the Pennywise/Georgie set. I'll probably get the Georgie Pop as well, but there is something about this Pennywise that blows the Pop versions out of the water. Hands down my fav VYNL design to date, and a must have!

Yeah exactly. I love it when they add an animal or other little figure, the little Toto was a really cute touch. It'd be a shame if they don't do more for the set though!

Pennywise does look fantastic, he looks a hell of a lot more sinister as a VYNL, the Pop looks more of a frowning chubby-cheeked clown with buck-teeth than an all-powerful being.
Pop Count: ~300; Latest: Spirit Mufasa
Dorbz Count: 70; Latest: Huckleberry Hound 8-pack
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest: Belle
Favourite Pop's: Hades Chase, Pain & Panic, Lord Drakkon
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 5 PSH, 48 Dorbz, 17 Misc; Most Recent: Kermit PSH

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:09 am

I don’t think anything we have seen yet will reach that level of popularity.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

Rantt

Postby Rantt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:15 am

I find them very cute but I gotta control my size of growing pops so I didn't get any even they are so cute..
:freddy2: Kent Chua

ISO: AstroBoy Protos, Maleficent Protos, Funko Freddy Protos.

Cmpotter
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby Cmpotter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:41 am

I’m all in on VYNL and I hope they keep making them. I’ve gotten all of the ones that have been released and will continue supporting the line. Hopefully it picks up in popularity
Image Image

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:34 am

Pops started out quite simple and there were lots of quality issues, but Funko kept perfecting them. Who knows where vynl go, but it’s hard for some of us with big pop collections to go down a new path when we see where the pop rabbit trail led us. :)
Got Pixie Dust?

Ar7

Postby Ar7 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:42 am

I’m totally in on the Vynl line. The potential to add so much more expression makes them more appealing to me, but the Disney line for POPs are breaking that POP mold, so there goes Vynl’s ownable differentiator.

Then there’s the 2-pack thing. It’s their gimmick but maybe making them singles can give them a more collectible appeal, for space and price. But it’s about the pairing, the brand of Vynl.

I really love this line. Like, all the sets have been something that stops me in my quick scan of the Funko shelves at any store. Then I look at the price and think of the space on my shelves. Then I get them anyway.

I’ve considered pairing down my POP collection to make room for my growing Vynl line. But them darn new POPs show up. Dang you, Funko.

I do t think I came close to answering the question as used this as a therapeutic forum to share my internal struggle.
Did someone say, Disney POP!s?
Funko Fundays 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022!

gumbyack454

Postby gumbyack454 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:42 am

Ha ha ha ha!!!

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 am

gumbyack454 wrote:Does anyone here think that the New Vynl series has the potential to be as popular as the Funko Pops?

Some work in this style more than others. I only own the Freddy and Jason 2 pack but I'm not in love with them. I do enjoy the size of these figures tho, if they were smaller they might not feel as appealing. IMO

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:21 pm

I only collect DC characters, and I thought about getting the Harley/Joker set so that I could pair Harley with Poison Ivy from my Batgirl/PI set. However, pix of the final production pieces convinced me to limit myself to only Batgirl from this line.

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Gothamite wrote:I only collect DC characters, and I thought about getting the Harley/Joker set so that I could pair Harley with Poison Ivy from my Batgirl/PI set. However, pix of the final production pieces convinced me to limit myself to only Batgirl from this line.

Really? I don't even collect DC at all and when I saw the Joker Harley two pack I almost bought it because I thought it looked awesome. To each their own obviously but I'm surprised to see a fan that doesn't like this two pack.

VaultToysTX

Postby VaultToysTX » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:34 pm

I really enjoy the Vnyl series. I think it has the potential to see some growth as they release more and more designs. I was skeptical but after grabbing the batgirl set and the new series I'm all on board.

ImageImage Image Image

ISO Fallout PROTOS Piper and dorbz.

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:55 pm

funkystark wrote:
Gothamite wrote:I only collect DC characters, and I thought about getting the Harley/Joker set so that I could pair Harley with Poison Ivy from my Batgirl/PI set. However, pix of the final production pieces convinced me to limit myself to only Batgirl from this line.

Really? I don't even collect DC at all and when I saw the Joker Harley two pack I almost bought it because I thought it looked awesome. To each their own obviously but I'm surprised to see a fan that doesn't like this two pack.

I just think the build quality and level of detail are too low for figures of this size. Plus, these seem to come with detached heads more frequently than any other Funko products.

Last edited by Gothamite on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 pm

I think they may catch on. I like them very much, only thing is I would prefer them in single packages and not be forced to by two. :rolleyes:
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Marnie

Postby Marnie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Had to get the Christmas Vynl, they are just too darn cute! I want to love them all but find myself not liking the ones with the eyes closed. Odd differentiator I know..... Secretly wishing the Vinyl Idolz would make a comeback. I adore them!

post31

Postby post31 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Rantt wrote:I find them very cute but I gotta control my size of growing pops so I didn't get any even they are so cute..

Well don’t let us pressure you into getting some (this is really peer pressure in attempts to make you get some)
SDCC 1998 - current
Fundays 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Pop Rangers, Killer Crowns, Lumberjacks
FDO8 2018 LA
FDO9 2023 SD
Making Fun premier
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funkon 2021

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:38 pm

funkystark wrote:

I think they look great, maybe wait until they inevitably make more Harley variants and they might look better to you. The Martian Manhunter one is one of my favorites.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Valde wrote:I think they look great, maybe wait until they inevitably make more Harley variants and they might look better to you. The Martian Manhunter one is one of my favorites.

Nah, I'm just gonna treat Vynls like Pops and only get Batgirl ones. :)

Return to “Vinyl”