6" Pops alive and well after all!!

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
commodorefunko

Re: 6 Inch Pops on hold.....

Postby commodorefunko » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:51 pm

treswright wrote:
commodorefunko wrote:I saw this said post, and I'm pretty sure they were referring to games Pops 6inchers only.It didn't seem like she was referring to all 6inches, so I wouldn't freak out quite yet.

In the followup posts she was asked if she just meant that line or all lines and she said all lines.

Bummer! I didn't see the followup post, thanks. That really sucks!
Jonas is the name, Pops are my game

Current POP Count: 299! I want to get something special for 300!+ 9 Mini/Pocket Pops
Current Dorbz/Pint Sized Heroes Count: 20ish
Current Mystery Mini/Idolz/Hikari/Mini Hikari Count: 20

ISO: Any color/white Masters of The Universe, X-Files, Twin Peaks, LOST, Stranger Things, Mr T, and Star Wars protos!!

ruxy_100

ruxy_100

Postby ruxy_100 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Very sad news. I guess this is the reason Rose from the Steven Universe line isn't 6 inch, despite the fact that she absolutely towers over everyone in the show.

ruxy_100

ruxy_100

Postby ruxy_100 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 pm

To be honest, I wouldnt mind if they went the other way and made some of the other characters smaller. I know they would obviously make a lot more money by selling small characters (i.e. small in the TV show or Movie) as a standalone pop, rather than a pack in. But I would like it if those characters were at least a little bit smaller than the regular human pops. I think the Winnie the pooh pops and the recent animated Beast pop are good examles of the sliding scale they can achieve while still being a standard pop release.

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:20 pm

popfanboy wrote:My hopes for a Roadhog Pop! are now dashed :(

Is it weird that this is the first place my mind went, too? lol

I agree with a lot of people on this thread though: 6-inchers had a certain quality about them that made them look like high end collectibles instead of simple toys. From incredibly detailed ones like Hulkbuster to the more simplistic Stay Puft, the size gave them an extra oomph that normal Pops can sometimes lack.

I only have a few (Big Daddy, Jabba, 2 Godzillas, and Kong), and I've purchased so many as gifts for people (Songbird and Winston for my brother, Snuffleuffagus and Horton for my girlfriend, etc). They're popular with everyone I know, so it's a big shame that the numbers aren't matching up.

Still excited that we're getting two D.Va's, but it's sad that she'll probably be the last two 6-inchers I buy :(
Last edited by RoboFist on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm

popfanboy wrote:My hopes for a Roadhog Pop! are now dashed :(

Is it weird that this is the first place my mind went, too? lol

I agree with a lot of people on this thread though: 6-inchers had a certain quality about them that made them look like high end collectibles instead of simple toys. From incredibly detailed ones like Hulkbuster to the more simplistic Stay Puft, the size gave them an extra oomph that normal Pops can sometimes lack.

I only have a few (Big Daddy, Jabba, 2 Godzillas, and Kong), and I've purchased so many as gifts for people (Songbird and Winston for my brother, Snuffleuffagus and Horton for my girlfriend, etc). They're popular with everyone I know, so it's a big shame that the numbers aren't matching up.

Still excited that we're getting two D.Va's, but it's sad that she'll probably be the last two 6-inchers I buy :(
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

Battastic
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Battastic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Maybe now we can get some in the LoC sub box lol
Seriously though, this sucks
"If you can't have fun, if you can't laugh, if you can't enjoy it...it's not worth it." - Joey

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:30 pm

This is very sad news indeed. I don't have a ton of them, but I really like the ones I have, especially the Game of Thrones Dragons and Giant. Glad that the announced ones will still be made though. I would have been very sad if there had been no Balrog in the Lord of the Rings line.
Hi, I'm Merri!

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Battastic wrote:Maybe now we can get some in the LoC sub box lol

Yeah, I want a 6-inch Savitar !!
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 460
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Violet (CHASE)
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)/Flocked Crash Bandicoot
GRAIL(S): Qui-Gon Jinn (NYCC 2016)

Mystery Minis: ??

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

We got no food, we got no jobs, OUR POPS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!

Rgncajun

Postby Rgncajun » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:31 pm

No offense but this is their fault for picking pretty weak characters for the 6inch pops as of late.

FarronFox

Postby FarronFox » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:33 pm

What? That's messed up. Surely not?

It would have sucked if Ludo from the Labyrinth set came out as a regular size, not to mention if Snuffleupagus and Big Bird came out being the same as the rest of the Sesame Street crew.

emcee

Postby emcee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:11 pm

That's sad. There have definitely been an overstock of some 6" pops I've seen to not do well like Titanfall. If I was Funko what I would do is try to keep the boxes small like Winston from Overwatch is a perfect size. It's a shame when I see a big POP shipping box only to find out it can only fit like 6 6" pops.
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: Stopped counting

Kaljor

Re: A fond farewell to 6" Pops

Postby Kaljor » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

treswright wrote:One of the Funko designers posted a blurb on social media (I'm not going to say who or where because I don't want said person to get in any trouble) saying that 6" Pops have not been selling well enough to justify production and are being discontinued for now. Those that have already been announced will be produced, but there won't be any new 6" Pop designs for the foreseeable future. I'm sad to hear this as I've always thought that mixing a 6" Pop into a display with regular Pops made the display much more interesting! I've bought nearly every 6" Pop Funko has made, I was really surprised to read they don't sell well as they seemed to be pretty popular to me. A lot of people were chasing the 6" Godzilla variants and more recently there were a lot of people disappointed that they couldn't find the 6" GITD Tyrant. I guess not as many as I thought though!

The 6" GITD Tyrant is currently the newest shelf warmer in my neck of the woods. :D
My Name is Ernie

SaintsRow2008

Postby SaintsRow2008 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 pm

-Austin

1st Pop: Superman
100th Pop: SDCC 2016 Metallic Beerus
200th Pop: Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
300th Pop: Hitoshi Shinso
Latest Pop(s): Oh-Il nam, Gi-hun, Ali, Walter White, Dr. Strange Supreme, and Towelie
Current Pop amount: 387
Rarest Pop(s): The Walking Dead Prison Glenn proto and Tekken King proto
Received 100th Pop on: August 11th, 2016
Received 200th Pop on: March 5th, 2018
Received 300th Pop on April 29th, 2020

cooldemigod

Postby cooldemigod » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 pm

pop_jumper wrote:
Battastic wrote:Maybe now we can get some in the LoC sub box lol

Yeah, I want a 6-inch Savitar !!

Never thought of having a 6 inch Savitar POP, let alone a regular one but now my dreams just got risen and plummeted to the ground. :crybaby: :crybaby: :smt010 :smt010 :smt089 :smt089 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088 :smt088
My Name's Josh! and I'm mainly here only to stalk the boards. Interests: Theater (Mainly Musical Theater) Hit me up about it, I can talk about it all day!

ImageImage

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm hopeful that this news just means we will see Pops evolve and maybe get other sizes. I only have some dragons and Stay Puft in the 6 inch size, but I think those Pops needed to be in that size. I know I have seen many 6 inch Pops sitting on shelves and gathering dust or getting their boxes damaged, so maybe it's just a matter of cost fro Funko. Maybe there is something new and cool on the horizon, though.
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:01 pm

StarWarner wrote:I'm hopeful that this news just means we will see Pops evolve and maybe get other sizes. I only have some dragons and Stay Puft in the 6 inch size, but I think those Pops needed to be in that size. I know I have seen many 6 inch Pops sitting on shelves and gathering dust or getting their boxes damaged, so maybe it's just a matter of cost fro Funko. Maybe there is something new and cool on the horizon, though.

I am hoping for the day we get a 9 inch Freddy Funko again. The 10 inch Groot will be amazing.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

thebeast275

Postby thebeast275 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:15 pm

How has no one commented on the fact that the Juggernaut from the X-Men line is only a regular pop and not a 6inch?

GRAILS: Cortana (Halo 4)

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 pm

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm actually incredibly sad right now. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE 6-inch pops. They're some of my favorites.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:45 pm

SaintsRow2008 wrote:There's still hope!

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/statu ... 5309091840

Yep ... thought so. In Funkoland it's never over until the 96 inch Freddy Funko sings! :roflmao:
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Yup i saw this posted on one of the facebook groups, very contradicting.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm not at all surprised by this news. I've noticed 6" Pops tend to sell very slowly in my area. Some look untouched for half a year. I think some look cool, but I have never bought one due to the larger size and higher price. The price isn't a complete turnoff, but like someone else said, I would rather have a smaller one at a lower price. The biggest problem is space. I'm limited on space, and would much rather fill it with multiple characters than one larger character. There's some I've considered like the GoT dragons and King Kong, but I had a hard time pulling the trigger on a purchase.

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:53 pm

I feel like this is about the ones already in the production line though that we've been teased with though, and not necessarily anything new. Plus I can't see Funko giving a definitive answer on this just yet anyway. Like, saying yes just feels like it would start a kind of unnecessary panic and all the six inch pops would just skyrocket until they plummet even harder.

JPGIII

Postby JPGIII » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Unfortunate, but not too surprised. A lot of lines don't have a scale-able figure, and for a lot of them the bigger figures are less popular characters. Wonder though if this will translate into more of the super-delux being made.
My collection: http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/memb ... NI8DW3IYZ/
Pop!: 628
Pocket Pop!; 83
Dorbz: 117
Plush: 78
Others: 60

I may have a problem...

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Watch ... If I were a betting man, I would bet we see at least one 6 inch Pop again at Fundays17!
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

slim1977

Postby slim1977 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:45 pm

I have somewhere around 10 6 inchers in my collection, all the marvel ones and variants, the bioshock stuff and a couple of godzillas. I've always liked the 6 inch line, and would buy more if there were more in the lines that I collect. Ironically I just started playing titanfall 2 and I am having zero luck finding a 6 inch Jack and BT.
ISO: Jay proto from Jay and Silent Bob strike back

blockablelaser

Postby blockablelaser » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Sad to hear but I always seen gamestop with 6 inch stuff they just can't sell. Some stuff really makes sense in 6" though like hulkbuster, tyrant, reinhardt, etc.
Blizzard Account: superninja #160808
Pop + Dorbz: 650 and growing
ISO: Unmasked jason; sulley+boo sdcc, Freddy Leatherface, rocky balboa, SDCC Sulley, SDCC Boo Berry

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:14 pm

treswright wrote:
commodorefunko wrote:I saw this said post, and I'm pretty sure they were referring to games Pops 6inchers only.It didn't seem like she was referring to all 6inches, so I wouldn't freak out quite yet.

In the followup posts she was asked if she just meant that line or all lines and she said all lines.

Very sad news indeed :(
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

perfectflaw00

Postby perfectflaw00 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:22 am

Welp there goes my hopes of ever getting any more Godzilla or his arch rivals.

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:51 am

perfectflaw00 wrote:Welp there goes my hopes of ever getting any more Godzilla or his arch rivals.

I refuse to believe that we won't get a King Ghidorah!
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 am

TriFeckTa wrote:

Yup i saw this posted on one of the facebook groups, very contradicting.

Well it's promising!
I'm hoping for more and more 9-10" pop!

Classier

Postby Classier » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:18 am

Terrible news. BUT I don't think the reason 6-inchers are selling poor has nothing to do with size. It most likely coordinates with the fact that most of the recent characters Funko has been making are all video game characters that the general public has no feelings toward. That's the difference between Stay Puft and Tyrant. Stay Puft is iconic. Tyrants are not.
That being said, I hope we can still get some as con-exclusives. I don't want to see them die out.

Drayco21

Postby Drayco21 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:11 am

Holding out hope then; my favorite Pops of all time have been 6" ones- the Titanfall line, Godzilla... and my most anticipated Pops are 6" as well; the Brumak, the Balrog, D.Va. Stopping production of this scale would be a pretty bad mistake, in my opinion.

emk194

Postby emk194 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:52 am

I think it would have made sense, only because I see a LOT of 6 inch Pops still available everywhere I go. I personally like them, but not all of them are of things I like, so I've passed on most of them. That said, I'm happy to see that Funko still has plans for the 6" Pops.
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

Nito612

Re: A fond farewell to 6" Pops

Postby Nito612 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:00 pm

wraithkelso wrote:Personally I only have 8 of the 6" pops, but they are all one that I don't think would have worked as standard size figures: Elliott (Pete's Dragon), Big Bird, Hagrid, Baymax, Armored Bymax, Giant Man, Thanos, and Hulkbuster. There were actually 2 very specific Disney 6" pops I was hoping to see soon, 1 of which being Maleficent in Dragon form.

Well said. I can't imagine a 4" Hagrid, Baymax, etc. I can't see this lasting very long though. There are certain figures that need to be 6" because I don't foresee that 10" Pops will be taking over. Besides the 10" Pops will cost more and eventually people will not want to buy them if they start coming out with a bunch of them at a higher price. I think the 10" Groot will be $29.99 at Target.
Dream Pop: Movie scene Ending of Rocky 3: Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed
IG: MasterSmoothie http://instagram.com/MasterSmoothie/

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm

I believe the downfall of the 9" pops were similar - they cost a lot to produce but especially to ship in the packaging. The 6" Pop vinyl have much tighter boxes which is great, and I think they're doing a fantastic job with their packaging (especially one like Winston). So when we're talking about the "production cost" of the 6" line I have to think they mean that as well.

I think there are some great figures upcoming in the 6" size. Best thing we can do to support is to buy them! I'm sure the giant groot will do well.
San Diego funatic

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm glad the "official" word came through. I dislike misinformation when it comes to these kinds of things...it's been my experience that they DO sell rather slowly in general...I have a few 6" pops that were purchased for my online shop that I'm still sitting that are over a year old &* they are a pain to ship. Personally I DO like them, but they really don't move...

KarateKid

Postby KarateKid » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 pm

I almost felt like the 6" pops were a specialty item. There weren't a ton of them so when they came out you had to be a big fan of that particular character/license. It was rarely a buy for me to just add to my PC. I got Hulkbuster and GITD Tyrant because I'm a fan of those but wouldn't get Big Bird or Baymax not because they weren't nice looking and cool but I wasn't a big enough fan. On the other hand I might/did/would have bought those in the regular size just for collecting. Maybe ;)

Flex Luthor

Postby Flex Luthor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:10 pm

As long as Funko is more selective on what to make 6" pops (I'm talking about you Resident Evil Hunter), I'm fine with them cutting back on them. Some characters need to made in the 6" format like the GOT Dragons, Godzilla, Stay Puft, etc. while some like Juggernaut can just be a big 3" pop. They should cut down on the amount of 6" variants and reduce the size of the production runs.
Hi! I'm Mark
Proto ISO - Anything X-Men, Funko HQ Hulk, Vegito, Jango Fett, Mando Jet Pack, My Hero Academia, Kakashi Lighting Blade

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:42 pm

I think that part of the reason that this is occurring is the poor choice of licenses to produce 6 inchers for. Including repaints and variants, there are almost 25 6 inchers in the video game line. While I know a lot of you like video games, they are not nearly as mainstream as other properties such as Marvel, DC, Star Wars or even some of the movie licenses like Lord of the Rings and/or Harry Potter.If they made more 6 inchers from those lines, such as a comic doomsday, a new Darkseid, Dormammu, Holographic Snoke or a new Hulk, I'm sure they would sell better than all of the video game ones do. The other issue is all of the repaints. 6 inch POPs take up so much more space, so I think that it would be more likely for somebody to just get one version of a 6 inch POP, even though they might have 10 Batmans.
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:45 pm

brooklyn_geek wrote:I'm glad the "official" word came through. I dislike misinformation when it comes to these kinds of things...it's been my experience that they DO sell rather slowly in general...I have a few 6" pops that were purchased for my online shop that I'm still sitting that are over a year old &* they are a pain to ship. Personally I DO like them, but they really don't move...

The thing to consider here is that the original message said that there were still some 6 inches in the works. The official Funko message could be referring to some 6 inchers which have been designed and will be released, but have not been announced yet. They could still be stopping to design new ones.
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

Return to “Pop!”