D23 expo exclusive pops

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
dexiesmom

Re: D23 expo exclusive pops

Postby dexiesmom » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:02 am

Now that they are doing parks exclusives I could see them possibly having a pop or two in the D23 shop. The shop line is so long if you are general admission already I can only imagine what it would be like if there is a pop in the mix. lol lol
Image ImageImage

NightmareMermaid
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby NightmareMermaid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 am

Kaljor wrote:
Indy Viper wrote:
Kaljor wrote:
Ever since the metallic NBX 3 pack fiasco, Funko has not had D23 exclusives, so I'm thinking not much of a presence if any.

What fiasco am I forgetting? Lol

If I remember correctly, the metallic pop figures had sharp edges and so Disney rejected them for safety reasons. And then Gemini received all the stock and sold them instead that year.

That's correct.
Marie
❄❄❄ Need Prince Eric, Ariel 30th ann. Pop!s & RBtI Rock Candy, Shock, NBC Movie Moments, and HT Ursula w/ trident protos ❄❄❄
#PartOfYourWorld

Optimistic

Postby Optimistic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 am

Kaljor wrote:
Optimistic wrote:As we're getting closer to the event, is there any news if Funko will have any presence at D23?

Ever since the metallic NBX 3 pack fiasco, Funko has not had D23 exclusives, so I'm thinking not much of a presence if any.

They sold Dorbz and Rock Candy in 2017 so they've been back since then
It doesn't matter the amount you have or length you collected, but that you're happy with what you own

Current Goal: Get The Three Caballeros created as Pops, Dorbz or Vynl (One year until the 75th anniversary!)

Kaljor

Postby Kaljor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Optimistic wrote:
Kaljor wrote:
Optimistic wrote:As we're getting closer to the event, is there any news if Funko will have any presence at D23?

I was referring to exclusives that can only be found at D23.
My Name is Ernie

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:16 pm

dexiesmom wrote:Now that they are doing parks exclusives I could see them possibly having a pop or two in the D23 shop. The shop line is so long if you are general admission already I can only imagine what it would be like if there is a pop in the mix. lol lol

Have you been to D23? Can you give me any advice?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I wish they made more D23 exclusives that aren’t shared. I want all the old ones.
Collecting since 2015:
"A couple that collects together,
stays together."

ImageImage

2017fanatic

Postby 2017fanatic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:24 pm

If I recall there hasn't been any Funko (POP) exclusives at D23 for a couple years now, but I can see that changing too with parks exclusives (hoping)

lavery01

Postby lavery01 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:55 pm

2017fanatic wrote:If I recall there hasn't been any Funko (POP) exclusives at D23 for a couple years now, but I can see that changing too with parks exclusives (hoping)

Yes, we are too. would love to get Funko Pops this year. Been waiting to hear some news about this. :compress:
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Imagineeringfunko

Postby Imagineeringfunko » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 pm

They better be there this year was bummed the only had the Disney treasures box booth last time!
Funko Enthusiast :freddy2: Spastik Cuphead, Disney Parks collector.
Total: 181
1st pop: Ant man and clone trooper
100th: diamond orange bird
Favorite pop: Orange bird, Gus or Indiana Jones
Wants:65

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:34 pm

Imagineeringfunko wrote:They better be there this year was bummed the only had the Disney treasures box booth last time!

I doubt they will. I think they just have so many cons going on, D23 is not one of them. It is probably to close to SDCC for them to get the whole crew up there. They put a lot into SDCC.

Imagineeringfunko

Postby Imagineeringfunko » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 pm

nascar246788 wrote:
Imagineeringfunko wrote:They better be there this year was bummed the only had the Disney treasures box booth last time!

I doubt they will. I think they just have so many cons going on, D23 is not one of them. It is probably to close to SDCC for them to get the whole crew up there. They put a lot into SDCC.

D23 is in August this years so that gives a month or so hopefully enough time but your probably right :(
Funko Enthusiast :freddy2: Spastik Cuphead, Disney Parks collector.
Total: 181
1st pop: Ant man and clone trooper
100th: diamond orange bird
Favorite pop: Orange bird, Gus or Indiana Jones
Wants:65

Annie_May13

Postby Annie_May13 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 am

Whatever it may be, if it’s part of my collection I hope I can get it since D23 is in August this year so we can’t even attempt to try and go since I have camps all of August for my dance/colorguard team :(
༻❀༺Girly girl from Texas who loves pink༻❀༺

༻♥༺Dream Pops: Studio Ghibli, Cardcaptor Sakura, more Sailor Moon, Rogue, Pokemon, and FruBa༻♥༺

Image Image ImageImageImage

Suprmike6

Postby Suprmike6 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 am

I don't remember seeing any exclusives last time. The vendor section seemed to be more vintage stuff and pins, at least from what I saw.

Loki437

Postby Loki437 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:00 am

Oh I can’t wait until D23
Hi I'm Brandon
Funklub Member: 3538
ImageImage

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:20 am

Loki437 wrote:Oh I can’t wait until D23

This will be the first year for my wife and I. We are so pumped, and we will have our baby boy in tow with us.

jeffcrazy

Postby jeffcrazy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:04 am

Kaljor wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
Kaljor wrote:

Those were supposed to be Exclusives - the 2 Guardians of the Galaxy Dorbz 2pack and the Star Wars Dorbz Cantina 3pack along with the Dorbz Ridez of Hoth Han on the Taun Taun - and at D23 they were telling everybody that all the Star Wars and GotG Dorbz were sold out leaving only the Rock Candy (red She Hulk maybe?) for sale the rest of the weekend. I had a friend swing by the first morning of the convention so I was able to get them, but a lot of people were looking for them and were shut out.... only for them to pop up on the Disney site (I think the Cantina was up pretty quick and the others took longer to show up, but they all were available online at one time or another).

If you've never been to D23, it's basically lines upon lines in order to do anything and everything - from parking, to entering the convention center, to eating, and of course the longest lines are for the shopping (especially the shops with exclusives like Pins or Collectibles). And unfortunately the last 2 D23s it felt like the staff was figuring it out from scratch each time - which I guess is probably the biggest negative aspect of it being held every other year. SDCC can still be a mess, but a lot of those people at least have been working / attending / volunteering for years and years so they have a much better understanding of everything in general. Don't get me wrong, like everything Disney, D23 is staffed by super friendly people who are trying to be helpful, but sometimes it takes a little longer to figure things out even with helpful staff.

Also, the really really super limited stuff you have absolutely zero chance to buy unless you shell out the insane amount of money to buy a "Sorcerer's Pass", which I think was $2,000+ last D23. Disney allows those Passholders to prebuy a lot of stuff, and they get the best perks like getting in early and being allowed to shop first. A lot of those people buy stuff to recoup the money they spent on the pass, so they buy and buy and buy and buy.

The D23 gold membership was valuable in 2015, but not so much for 2017 so I'm not sure if it has any perks to make it worth it this year but I doubt it.

Read up on stories from 2017's D23 for stories about mismanaged lines for panels/presentations as well - there were some pretty bad scenes resulting from that kind of thing. I mean they were not riot at the Funimation booth crazy, but still not something you'd expect to find at a Disney run event.

Bdubzbots

Postby Bdubzbots » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:27 am

i smell the perfect opportunity for a 90 years of mickey con pop!
maybe metallic versions of those already released!

volsspongebob

Postby volsspongebob » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:34 am

jeffcrazy wrote:
Kaljor wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Those were supposed to be Exclusives - the 2 Guardians of the Galaxy Dorbz 2pack and the Star Wars Dorbz Cantina 3pack along with the Dorbz Ridez of Hoth Han on the Taun Taun - and at D23 they were telling everybody that all the Star Wars and GotG Dorbz were sold out leaving only the Rock Candy (red She Hulk maybe?) for sale the rest of the weekend. I had a friend swing by the first morning of the convention so I was able to get them, but a lot of people were looking for them and were shut out.... only for them to pop up on the Disney site (I think the Cantina was up pretty quick and the others took longer to show up, but they all were available online at one time or another).

If you've never been to D23, it's basically lines upon lines in order to do anything and everything - from parking, to entering the convention center, to eating, and of course the longest lines are for the shopping (especially the shops with exclusives like Pins or Collectibles). And unfortunately the last 2 D23s it felt like the staff was figuring it out from scratch each time - which I guess is probably the biggest negative aspect of it being held every other year. SDCC can still be a mess, but a lot of those people at least have been working / attending / volunteering for years and years so they have a much better understanding of everything in general. Don't get me wrong, like everything Disney, D23 is staffed by super friendly people who are trying to be helpful, but sometimes it takes a little longer to figure things out even with helpful staff.

Also, the really really super limited stuff you have absolutely zero chance to buy unless you shell out the insane amount of money to buy a "Sorcerer's Pass", which I think was $2,000+ last D23. Disney allows those Passholders to prebuy a lot of stuff, and they get the best perks like getting in early and being allowed to shop first. A lot of those people buy stuff to recoup the money they spent on the pass, so they buy and buy and buy and buy.

The D23 gold membership was valuable in 2015, but not so much for 2017 so I'm not sure if it has any perks to make it worth it this year but I doubt it.

Read up on stories from 2017's D23 for stories about mismanaged lines for panels/presentations as well - there were some pretty bad scenes resulting from that kind of thing. I mean they were not riot at the Funimation booth crazy, but still not something you'd expect to find at a Disney run event.

Good summary. I was there in 2017 and this sums its up pretty well. I believe the demand for the dorbz was only because Funko wasnt doing anything at their booth.

Because of my family's history with SDCC we managed the lines pretty well. Just like SDCC camping out or getting there at 4:00 AM was really the only way to beat the early morning crowds. The Family Gold membership did help with the panels as it did give a bit better of line positioning. Other than a free print there really no other benefits.

All in all I think it is an amazing convention and I would be happy to dive in again this year. Disney has too much going on in pop culture to not be there for D23.
Love to Collect the 80s stuff. Also chasing the Rocky Set. First Funko Purchase was 2012 SDCC.

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am

hopefully they can some sorts of exclusives at D23

Mario Wario

Postby Mario Wario » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 am

Bdubzbots wrote:i smell the perfect opportunity for a 90 years of mickey con pop!
maybe metallic versions of those already released!
Yep, yep! But we shall see...
:freddy1:

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 am

Just bring a Deadpool D23 exclusive! LOL

lunarembrace

Postby lunarembrace » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:41 am

I'm okay with already released molds getting the diamond treatment or chrome treatment as far as exclusives go, since I don't feel the need for anything like that. But anything else, I hope is readily available elsewhere. =oP I can already imagine the dollar signs in the Disney scalpers eyes, and nothing is even announced. Haha.
Melissa
Instagram: dorkydisneygirl

weird888

Postby weird888 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:04 pm

jeffcrazy wrote:
Kaljor wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

That sounds a lot like SDCC lol .

repair-manmanmanman

Postby repair-manmanmanman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:20 pm

I agree with the general consensus of probably no exclusives (at least pops) but the weird thing about D23 is that every two years is a long time and a lot can change in two years. *insert gif of Lloyd from dumb and Dumber shouting, “So you’re saying there’s a chance!”
Hi, I'm CY

UrsulaLover

Postby UrsulaLover » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Pryde72 wrote:
UrsulaLover wrote:
popsnorthwest wrote:I really wish they would make a Mufasa and Sarabi 2pk!

That and a 3pk of the hyenas!

Your wish, was their command lol

And they have been ordered!
You can call me Shandra.
IG: ursulalover_

Image Image

ISO: Johnny Ramone and Dee Dee Ramone Pops

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:32 am

This november is the 30th anniversary of the little
Mermaid. Seems like the perfect time for some exclusives.

Fnkyeahryry

Postby Fnkyeahryry » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:14 am

I hope Funko has more of a presence this year at D23. I don’t think they had much other than the Star Wars Dorbz last time.

Jcabs

Postby Jcabs » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:47 am

I'm hoping for a d23 exclusive pop that would be awesome. Maybe since Toy Story 4 is coming out this year I would love something from there.

Jcabs

Postby Jcabs » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:52 am

I'm hoping for a d23 exclusive pop that would be awesome. Maybe since Toy Story 4 is coming out this year I would love something from there.

Xeverus86

Postby Xeverus86 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 am

Fnkyeahryry wrote:I hope Funko has more of a presence this year at D23. I don’t think they had much other than the Star Wars Dorbz last time.

a new glow alien perhaps lol :alien:
FUNKO FUNDAYS '17
FUNKO FUNDAYS '18
FUNKO HQ GRAND OPENING
MAKING FUN MOVIE PREMIERE

Jennyboooh

Postby Jennyboooh » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:04 am

Jcabs wrote:I'm hoping for a d23 exclusive pop that would be awesome. Maybe since Toy Story 4 is coming out this year I would love something from there.

yes please
:freddy1:

Handy123

Postby Handy123 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:17 am

Kenjutsu763 wrote:
Pikalopez wrote:Since D23 will come back next year, Do you think Funko will make any exclusive pop's this year instead of Dorbz and rock candy? If they do what would you like to see? I'd like to see Fantasia pop's be exclusive to D23. Maybe even pop's of some of their anthology cartoons like Bongo the bear, The Headless Horseman, Maybe even pop's of their cult favorite films like treasure planet or Atlantis the lost empire.

Oh wow, I hadn't even considered Trasure Planet. I absolutely adored that as a kid. Absolutely, I would want to see that.

Aside from that, I'm sure there will be Marvel and Star Wars exclusives.

Treasure planet would look awesome as a pop. They would have so much detail on them

evalicious25

Postby evalicious25 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:32 am

Well...this will be my first year going to D23 so I'm going through the posts trying to find out what to expect. Sounds similar to SDCC worn the crowds but maybe more retail? Either way I'm excited to check it out.
Image Image ImageImage
Funko Funatic
FunkoFunkast Listener
Collector of Cute Things
Never-ending search for the ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie!

volsspongebob

Postby volsspongebob » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:50 am

evalicious25 wrote:Well...this will be my first year going to D23 so I'm going through the posts trying to find out what to expect. Sounds similar to SDCC worn the crowds but maybe more retail? Either way I'm excited to check it out.

The panels and the exclusives are definitely on par with SDCC. D23 does not know how to manage the lines and the people like SDCC does. I do SDCC every year and would be glad to do D23 each chance I get. This year especially with the Fox acquisition.
Love to Collect the 80s stuff. Also chasing the Rocky Set. First Funko Purchase was 2012 SDCC.

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Xeverus86 wrote:
Fnkyeahryry wrote:I hope Funko has more of a presence this year at D23. I don’t think they had much other than the Star Wars Dorbz last time.

This would be great. Or a light up alien

TenTwoSix

Postby TenTwoSix » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Jennyboooh wrote:
Jcabs wrote:I'm hoping for a d23 exclusive pop that would be awesome. Maybe since Toy Story 4 is coming out this year I would love something from there.

yes please

Agree that would be cool!
Jerry

ISO: Harry Potter on Broom Proto

Indy Viper

Postby Indy Viper » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm

NightmareMermaid wrote:
Kaljor wrote:
Indy Viper wrote:
What fiasco am I forgetting? Lol

If I remember correctly, the metallic pop figures had sharp edges and so Disney rejected them for safety reasons. And then Gemini received all the stock and sold them instead that year.

That's correct.

Oh wow! That’s crazy- thanks so much for the info!!
ImageImage

Niteowl_1

Postby Niteowl_1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Might go to d23 if there’s pop exclusives that would be fun

Fnkyeahryry

Postby Fnkyeahryry » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Xeverus86 wrote:

Oooh I hope! I’m also hoping for maybe some park themed Pops! :D

WarHmongHer

Postby WarHmongHer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 pm

betterdanthis wrote:Oooh, why did they skip the past few years? The old school metallic D23 stuff were pretty cool.

Yeah, those old school mettalic d23 pops are fire. Hopefully they have some for this year. Fingers crossed. If not, theres always sdcc.

Return to “Pop!”