What's up with these new Sailor Moon reprints?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
FunkoMartiniGirl

What's up with these new Sailor Moon reprints?

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 am

My friend is currently in the market of buying some Sailor Moon pops. He sent me some links to a few on eBay showing which ones he wanted. Upon closer inspection, I noticed they all had the production/serial number of TTC201020 on the bottom of the boxes. I'm unaware that Funko had made more stock of the scouts from just a few months prior. And I'm a HUGE Sailor Moon fan. Can someone tell me if these are fakes? Or did Funko quietly mass produce all the Sailor Moon pops again? The sellers on eBay that have these pops are from California, are selling at double the PPG value, and seem to be stores. Any help would be appreciated!

rexflexall

Re: What's up with these new Sailor Moon reprints?

Postby rexflexall » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Oh wow super interesting! I wanna know too!

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:10 am

rexflexall wrote:Oh wow super interesting! I wanna know too!

Same! It's really a strange thing. You'd think people would be posting about these recent acquisitions if Funko mass produced them again. But it seems.... shadier (?) than that.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am

It wouldn't surprise me that much anymore!

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 pm

Oh feel like one never knows with funko

Looking for Care Bear Protos

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:38 am

FunkoMartiniGirl wrote:My friend is currently in the market of buying some Sailor Moon pops. He sent me some links to a few on eBay showing which ones he wanted. Upon closer inspection, I noticed they all had the production/serial number of TTC201020 on the bottom of the boxes. I'm unaware that Funko had made more stock of the scouts from just a few months prior. And I'm a HUGE Sailor Moon fan. Can someone tell me if these are fakes? Or did Funko quietly mass produce all the Sailor Moon pops again? The sellers on eBay that have these pops are from California, are selling at double the PPG value, and seem to be stores. Any help would be appreciated!

Can you provide photos? That would help alot.
#LongLiveKingstache

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 am

Geescube wrote:
FunkoMartiniGirl wrote:My friend is currently in the market of buying some Sailor Moon pops. He sent me some links to a few on eBay showing which ones he wanted. Upon closer inspection, I noticed they all had the production/serial number of TTC201020 on the bottom of the boxes. I'm unaware that Funko had made more stock of the scouts from just a few months prior. And I'm a HUGE Sailor Moon fan. Can someone tell me if these are fakes? Or did Funko quietly mass produce all the Sailor Moon pops again? The sellers on eBay that have these pops are from California, are selling at double the PPG value, and seem to be stores. Any help would be appreciated!

Can you provide photos? That would help alot.

Sure thing!

Here's a Sailor Moon one from eBay. As you can see the Special Edition is quite small and the production date on the bottom reads "TTC 201020"

And here's a Glitter Chibi Moon from eBay. The Special Edition is the correct size but the production date on the bottom reads "DRM 201105"

Besides these two, the only other ones currently out with these newer production dates are Tuxedo Mask, Sailor Jupiter, Sailor Venus, and the common Sailor Moon & Luna.

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 am

1. They look like fakes to me. The font used for "ANIMATION" is different than the previous releases.
2. There are listings of these from CHINA which almost always means fake are in the marketplace.

The biggest giveaway is to go search Ali Express. If old pops are showing up there at normal retail prices, they are fake.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001566346161.html

Pop collecting has gotten to the point where you have to research every older pop that you want to buy really well.

FunkoMartiniGirl

Postby FunkoMartiniGirl » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:04 am

fbingha wrote:1. They look like fakes to me. The font used for "ANIMATION" is different than the previous releases.
2. There are listings of these from CHINA which almost always means fake are in the marketplace.

The biggest giveaway is to go search Ali Express. If old pops are showing up there at normal retail prices, they are fake.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001566346161.html

Pop collecting has gotten to the point where you have to research every older pop that you want to buy really well.

Thank you for your insight! I knew there is something off-putting about these. And eBay seems to be saturated with these fakes! And like 95% of them are coming out of California. ChaliceCollectibles.com has them up on their website as well. I thought Chalice was reputable?

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:18 am

Supposedly Funko is re-releasing older exclusive Star Wars (Commander Cody, General Grievous, etc.), so maybe they're re-releasing these as well? A few months ago they re-released some older Hot Topic exclusives as well (Bert Macklin, stealth Spider-Man, etc.). I've also seen some Walmart/Target releases pop back up.
Poppin'

netman97

Postby netman97 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am

they were up on animetasia (bundle sets) and some are still on chalice https://chalicecollectibles.com/search?q=sailor+moon and were on a few other sites as well
Wants-
Jam Master Jay , Tupac , Notorious Big
Public enemy - Chuck D , Flavor Flav,
Boo Berry, Frankenberry, Count Chocula
Unmasked Jason Vorhees Pop
Image Image

Return to “Pop!”