PSA Grading of Pops

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
BikerGeek

Re: PSA Grading of Pops

Postby BikerGeek » Tue May 14, 2024 6:30 pm

Hmm...the cost includes a hard, UV-resistant case...that might help make the cost more palatable.

Anyone here ever get one graded through PSA?

bbauwe01

Postby bbauwe01 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:28 pm

I like being able to use the 7BAP armors and like my collection to look the same. So I don’t want to start grading because then I will have to get a lot of pops graded.

I also want to be able to inspect a pop for damage myself outside of a protector.

But I like that there is a verification service to check heavily faked pops

chaostryder

Postby chaostryder » Tue May 14, 2024 9:21 pm

runtodere wrote:This thread popped up and made me cringe again - I so wish grading wasn't a thing.

I'm not a fan of assigning a grade to them but I do like the idea of a third party semi-trusted verification service that the pop is legitimate!
:freddy2:

Current ISO: Toucan Sam!

Past Events:
- Funko Fundays 2017, Funko HQ Grand Opening, Funko Fundays 2018

chaostryder

Postby chaostryder » Tue May 14, 2024 9:41 pm

Does anyone know if PSA does on-site grading for Funko Pop figures? They only mention on-site grading for cards from what I can tell
:freddy2:

Current ISO: Toucan Sam!

Past Events:
- Funko Fundays 2017, Funko HQ Grand Opening, Funko Fundays 2018

dominicrosales23

Postby dominicrosales23 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:58 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
dominicrosales23 wrote:
I may be wrong, or it has changed, but my understanding is that they grade the box itself, and I've seen speculation that the figures are not confirmed to be legit or fakes. Of course, this info may be outdated though.

I thought it was explained in PSA website when you grade them. I could be wrong

The descriptions of the services are not as nuanced as they should be but apparently they’re saying they are authentication of the piece and they are grading THE BOX AND NOT THE CONDITION OF THE FIGURE ITSELF. So years ago when I said that this is all rather silly and were basically collecting boxes I might have been onto something lol

Ah. Yeah, not grading the figure itself seems rather, strange. But hey, another reason to make sure those boxes are minty!

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Wed May 15, 2024 1:20 pm

chaostryder wrote:
runtodere wrote:This thread popped up and made me cringe again - I so wish grading wasn't a thing.

I'm not a fan of assigning a grade to them but I do like the idea of a third party semi-trusted verification service that the pop is legitimate!

For a long time I looked for a simple authentication service - no grade. I even asked PSA if they would do it given they do it anyway as part of the overall service but they told me no.

BikerGeek

Postby BikerGeek » Thu May 16, 2024 8:42 am

I know there were/are a few outfits that grade pops at SDCC...will have to check them all out and ask these questions.

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Thu May 16, 2024 4:49 pm

dominicrosales23 wrote:
brooklyn_geek wrote:
Ginzo1622 wrote:
I thought it was explained in PSA website when you grade them. I could be wrong

The descriptions of the services are not as nuanced as they should be but apparently they’re saying they are authentication of the piece and they are grading THE BOX AND NOT THE CONDITION OF THE FIGURE ITSELF. So years ago when I said that this is all rather silly and were basically collecting boxes I might have been onto something lol

Ah. Yeah, not grading the figure itself seems rather, strange. But hey, another reason to make sure those boxes are minty!

To be honest I’ve seen a few fandoms change with the arrival of PSA in the space and I have also seen some really crazy asking prices for graded pops…not a fan but I guess it’s worth it to some people

Funko4life

Postby Funko4life » Tue May 21, 2024 11:24 pm

In my opinion grading the pops is silly because pops boxes arent like cards are comics to where you can lay on something and keep it pristine.. its flimsy and can get damaged in the process and alot places that grade put it in a container that is loose the pop could shake around and ruin the corners.. id rather put my high value pops in the pop armor

Chenzo157

Postby Chenzo157 » Mon May 27, 2024 3:40 am

So hard to grade. I get cards since they have a standard especially when it comes to centering but what you and others would call mint to a pop box a grader might call it an 8. I feel like them authenticating and then encapsulating might be a smarter move
Attended:

Fright Night '22
Camp Fundays '23

:freddy1:

Return to “Pop!”