Funko over produced?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
x88joe88x

Re: Funko over produced?

Postby x88joe88x » Wed May 15, 2024 11:22 am

Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

Some products are definitely over produced. But that’s what happens with a publicly traded company. It’s all about the dollars. I’m ok with them mass producing things, but I don’t think they should’ve gone away from their super limited releases as well. You can do both. I think they should. But no matter what they do, there will always be someone that’s upset lol
Instagram: popstop_nyc
YouTube.com/@popstopnyc
ImageImage Image
Collector since 2013!
750 pops and counting…
NYCC since 2013
SDCC 2023, 2024
C2E2 2024

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed May 15, 2024 11:29 am

It’s definitely nice when they mix in some really limited pieces in to a con lineup at least.

FunkoPDX

Postby FunkoPDX » Wed May 15, 2024 11:31 am

g3ohss wrote:
xanchui wrote:I think tons of collectible brands over-produced during covid because consumers were spending. Now that spending has been dialed back, and they're all left with tons of unsold stock. Hopefully funko can course correct. More limited exclusives, smaller runs, etc.

Very true. Can’t wait to see what else they come out with this year

I didn't think of the overproduction during the pandemic but it makes sense.

I really do hope we get more 1 run and done. But seems like that has just been exclusive to con pops. Seems like we are getting a good amount of Funko Shop Exclusives coming back to life. But I guess if its not vaulted anything is possible.
Cheers Funko Fam!
Funko Fanatic since 2014
Cons and Cosplay for life!
Videogame Funkos are my fave!

edsteez

Postby edsteez » Wed May 15, 2024 11:33 am

Why I only collect limited counts

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:38 pm

Right / Today one piece MIHAWK DROPPED ON FUNKO SHOP . I got 1 , but count stock was over 33k . From what DISTRACKERS POSTED Seem Funko is over producing . It kills the fun , I’m happy for ppl that want it but the days of old school sell out every week I used to look forward to FOMO LOL AND FUN TIMES it use to bring and the bad times TOO
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS going to SDCC 2024 - DISNEY D23 2024
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:39 pm

edsteez wrote:Why I only collect limited counts

Same here, I went to limited counts/PCS AND SOMETIMES COMMONS if me or the wife or my kids want them .
Couples funatics!

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:40 pm

x88joe88x wrote:
Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

Some products are definitely over produced. But that’s what happens with a publicly traded company. It’s all about the dollars. I’m ok with them mass producing things, but I don’t think they should’ve gone away from their super limited releases as well. You can do both. I think they should. But no matter what
they do, there will always be someone that’s upset lol

209% I agree . Please Funko take this advice . Limited counts again . And still have your high produced commons
Couples funatics!

g3ohss

Postby g3ohss » Tue May 21, 2024 10:46 pm

Greek187 wrote:
x88joe88x wrote:

Some products are definitely over produced. But that’s what happens with a publicly traded company. It’s all about the dollars. I’m ok with them mass producing things, but I don’t think they should’ve gone away from their super limited releases as well. You can do both. I think they should. But no matter what

209% I agree . Please Funko take this advice . Limited counts again . And still have your high produced commons

Def. Hopefully we see some changes.
Hi I’m Geo :) IG: @g3ohss
ImageImageImageImage

ldela001

Postby ldela001 » Tue May 21, 2024 10:59 pm

The constant rehash of the same characters for numerous franchises is definitely annoying, in my opinion. Although I'm sure it’s due to demand, I can’t help but wonder if it’s because the franchises have a bigger say on what Funko can make.
Funko Goals:
-Attend Fundays
-Win a prototype
-Collect all Ewok-related Pops!

:wwe7:

Funko4life

Postby Funko4life » Tue May 21, 2024 11:16 pm

g3ohss wrote:
Greek187 wrote:
x88joe88x wrote:

they can mass produce but they should do maybe 2 limited number funko shop pops a month. maybe hold a few more special events at everett and hollywood too.

FunkoFresh253

Postby FunkoFresh253 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:24 pm

Greek187 wrote:

Same here, I went to limited counts/PCS AND SOMETIMES COMMONS if me or the wife or my kids want them .

if a pop is nice im buying it. but now i dont rush to buy them anymore. especially if its a common, i can wait it out
Team Goonies! Team Pop Protectors! Team Lumberjacks!Image

Johnatron5000

Postby Johnatron5000 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:53 pm

resellers might think its overproducing but i like it because i can get the pops i like to add to my collection

imbatgirlpop

Postby imbatgirlpop » Wed May 22, 2024 12:27 am

plumb102 wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:I think the issue IMO is that when a company tries to make everyone happy, no one is happy. If things get limited and hard to get, funko gets the rage of others stating that they are feeding the resellers. If they make things available and not so limited, the same rage against funko comes out stating that things are not limited and have little to no value. So what is there to do from a company standpoint? Be like other companies and just make products that are attainable by all?? I honestly just wish that convention pops were only available at conventions. I am not a fan of making all pops except a few con exclusives. It costs a lot of money to attend a convention and it would be amazing if all pops were made for con attendees only. But like I said that would make me happy but anger others, so if Funko is trying to make everyone happy, no one is going to be happy. It's a tough place to be in.

I agree with it being hard to please both sides. Personally I feel they should still cater more to the collector side and keep them more limited. Especially convention ones or event exclusive. Otherwise, why have them labeled as a collectible or exclusive?

I also agree with the double-edged sword unfortunately.. it's very hard to please the collectors, the fans, and the fan-based collectors (those categories might all be the same or completely different per person too) :-k ](*,)

I’m feeling kinda underwhelmed with Funko. I liked the chase , the low count- and I used to say please make it pre-order so there’s no flipping action, but there’s too many now.

Kenshin21

Postby Kenshin21 » Wed May 22, 2024 12:58 am

Greek187 wrote:Right / Today one piece MIHAWK DROPPED ON FUNKO SHOP . I got 1 , but count stock was over 33k . From what DISTRACKERS POSTED Seem Funko is over producing . It kills the fun , I’m happy for ppl that want it but the days of old school sell out every week I used to look forward to FOMO LOL AND FUN TIMES it use to bring and the bad times TOO

Just a thought, would you still buy a pop if it was $30 from funko shop but it was limited to only 10K pieces, compared to what have now($15 and over 30k pieces). This would be the easiest for funko to maintain profits, while reducing the quantity produced.

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:17 am

:^o
Kenshin21 wrote:
Greek187 wrote:Right / Today one piece MIHAWK DROPPED ON FUNKO SHOP . I got 1 , but count stock was over 33k . From what DISTRACKERS POSTED Seem Funko is over producing . It kills the fun , I’m happy for ppl that want it but the days of old school sell out every week I used to look forward to FOMO LOL AND FUN TIMES it use to bring and the bad times TOO

Just a thought, would you still buy a pop if it was $30 from funko shop but it was limited to only 10K pieces, compared to what have now($15 and over 30k pieces). This would be the easiest for funko to maintain profits, while reducing the quantity produced.
Couples funatics!

duncansg76

Postby duncansg76 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:30 am

i definitely think they are overproducing and not just numbers for a single pop but a lot of IPs as well. they are releasing so many new pops every week that they are sitting at a lot of retailers. i don't think i have ever seen so many pops at my local retailers than i ever have. i understand they are publicly traded but if what they make does not sell and retailers buy less or want less exclusives then that will hurt them as well. i think they need to limit some releases or limit the amount of the same pop they make but with different variations so they don't saturate the market and turn some collectors off.

NoOtherOptions

Postby NoOtherOptions » Wed May 22, 2024 8:01 am

I’m gonna take a slightly diff track here and just say if a run is over 2k it doesn’t need a sticker. LE3500 from fundays last year just made me chuckle.

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed May 22, 2024 8:26 am

NoOtherOptions wrote:I’m gonna take a slightly diff track here and just say if a run is over 2k it doesn’t need a sticker. LE3500 from fundays last year just made me chuckle.

The White Knight Joker/Batman 2-pack had a LE 30,000 sticker. I think the Halloweenfest Rocket Raccoon had like 25k. lol
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023, 2024
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Suprmike6

Postby Suprmike6 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:28 am

For me it's yes and no. Do I see a need for a million different color Batman Pop!'s in Bitty size, regular size, and 10" size? No, but someone out there must be buying them or they wouldn't keep producing them.

Some of my favorite Pop!'s are the LE ones, but for the most part I own commons that I just like, so without them being overproduced I probably wouldn't have half of my collection

LegendOfAsgard

Postby LegendOfAsgard » Wed May 22, 2024 11:21 am

duncansg76 wrote:i definitely think they are overproducing and not just numbers for a single pop but a lot of IPs as well. they are releasing so many new pops every week that they are sitting at a lot of retailers. i don't think i have ever seen so many pops at my local retailers than i ever have. i understand they are publicly traded but if what they make does not sell and retailers buy less or want less exclusives then that will hurt them as well. i think they need to limit some releases or limit the amount of the same pop they make but with different variations so they don't saturate the market and turn some collectors off.

It helps keep inventory up at Marshalls and Five Below and other specialty discount stores.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm

True I just think its a small sweet spot of producing enough for benefit and producing little enough to keep the demand

x88joe88x

Postby x88joe88x » Wed May 22, 2024 1:01 pm

Funko4life wrote:
g3ohss wrote:
Greek187 wrote:

they can mass produce but they should do maybe 2 limited number funko shop pops a month. maybe hold a few more special events at everett and hollywood too.

Yeah I'd be all for this!
Instagram: popstop_nyc
YouTube.com/@popstopnyc
ImageImage Image
Collector since 2013!
750 pops and counting…
NYCC since 2013
SDCC 2023, 2024
C2E2 2024

taka

Postby taka » Wed May 22, 2024 4:43 pm

NoOtherOptions wrote:I’m gonna take a slightly diff track here and just say if a run is over 2k it doesn’t need a sticker. LE3500 from fundays last year just made me chuckle.

I mean 3500 is a small run compared to everything nowadays

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Wed May 22, 2024 6:48 pm

I do think a lot of lines are over produced. I love the days of super, duper low editions to chase. BUT...I don't have the time to sit at my laptop for drops really so knowing i can get the POP I want in an hour or 2 is also nice.

I definitely think Con exclusives should be con exclusives. Dislike the Shared sticker thing. Altho...when I want to have 1 in box and 1 out of box (looking at you every Chewie!, it makes that easier (aka cheaper) too LoL
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Wed May 22, 2024 7:01 pm

zonkttc wrote:True I just think its a small sweet spot of producing enough for benefit and producing little enough to keep the demand

I am sure that is what most companies aim for.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Thu May 23, 2024 12:10 am

I can see the differences between the game now and 7 or 8 years ago. Exclusives are hardly exclusives anymore, nothing is truly limited (other than a couple of items each con and NFT redeemables). I understand wanting to please a larger portion of the fanbase, but the collectability has gone down significantly. We went from getting 15-20 exclusives per con limited to <5000pcs and now were lucky to get a handful. Fundays has always been where the most exclusive releases of the year come from, but with the event being two days this year, I hope they're able to produce more exclusives than increase the production count.
Yes... we're still here! Hoping Fundays 2024 will be my first! :bounce:

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:26 am

x88joe88x wrote:
Funko4life wrote:
g3ohss wrote:Def. Hopefully we see some changes.

Would love something like this instead over 30k on each drop ughh
Couples funatics!

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu May 23, 2024 11:46 am

Greek187 wrote:
x88joe88x wrote:
Funko4life wrote:

That's a impressive idea.

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Thu May 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Greek187 wrote:
x88joe88x wrote:
Funko4life wrote:

I think the open edition thing is pretty world class too, just various formats for limited items is sweet. I wouldn’t mind if they did a raffle for hyper limited funko pops similar to how they’ve done for those project fred
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu May 23, 2024 12:21 pm

Greek187 wrote:
x88joe88x wrote:
Funko4life wrote:

That's a impressive idea.

billville

Postby billville » Thu May 23, 2024 1:34 pm

Yeah, I used to be one of those people who would always get upset when I missed a really exclusive drop, but at the end of the day it was all about the thrill of the hunt for me, which always kept me coming back. 'You win some, you lose some' kinda situations.

Def a double-edged sword for Funko though, because it's great that people have been able to get what they want pretty easily, but these are also considered collectibles, so finding that fine line between those 2 worlds would be ideal, yet understandably difficult. I agree with most that con exclusives should be treated as such, and held to a higher regard in the collectible world, and maybe production runs be left to the commons.

I feel like there should also be a clear delineation between fundays exclusive and shared BOFs.
Hey everyone, I'm Billy and have been collecting for 7 years now :freddy3:

Pop Count: 1,100+
Instagram: @collectiBILLY

Image Image

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Thu May 23, 2024 2:38 pm

billville wrote:Yeah, I used to be one of those people who would always get upset when I missed a really exclusive drop, but at the end of the day it was all about the thrill of the hunt for me, which always kept me coming back. 'You win some, you lose some' kinda situations.

Def a double-edged sword for Funko though, because it's great that people have been able to get what they want pretty easily, but these are also considered collectibles, so finding that fine line between those 2 worlds would be ideal, yet understandably difficult. I agree with most that con exclusives should be treated as such, and held to a higher regard in the collectible world, and maybe production runs be left to the commons.

I feel like there should also be a clear delineation between fundays exclusive and shared BOFs.

I'm guessing that Funko can't go back to the super-rare days (even 1/24 chases would be pretty cool) because of their size and fact of being public. I think they would be a better product if they did though.

NoOtherOptions

Postby NoOtherOptions » Thu May 23, 2024 2:53 pm

taka wrote:

I mean 3500 is a small run compared to everything nowadays

Sure but 3500 is not limited. I feel like the old stickering method was if it was numbered you knew it was sub 1500. I wish they’d just try to create some hype. Look at Nike, they have some stuff that’s hyper popular and widely available and some stuff that’s hyper popular and rare. Say what you want but hype keeps people talking.

billville

Postby billville » Thu May 23, 2024 5:58 pm

runtodere wrote:
billville wrote:Yeah, I used to be one of those people who would always get upset when I missed a really exclusive drop, but at the end of the day it was all about the thrill of the hunt for me, which always kept me coming back. 'You win some, you lose some' kinda situations.

I'm guessing that Funko can't go back to the super-rare days (even 1/24 chases would be pretty cool) because of their size and fact of being public. I think they would be a better product if they did though.

Not sure, but my guess is that the super low piece counts were based on the Fundays attendance numbers at that point in time when the popularity wasn't quite as high as it is now. The only way I'd see that working now, based on current popularity, is by adding more Freddy variants to the bunch, which I imagine would take a lot of planning and resources to pull off. Coupled with the fact that Fundays attendance is now growing in numbers, and nights offered as well this year.

I agree though, and they could however offer a few super low piece counts as grand prizes during Fundays. Kinda like how they did the Willy Wonka golden ticket giveaway a while back.
Hey everyone, I'm Billy and have been collecting for 7 years now :freddy3:

Pop Count: 1,100+
Instagram: @collectiBILLY

Image Image

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu May 23, 2024 7:28 pm

Do you think funko can go back to super rare days?

E1f4

Postby E1f4 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:13 pm

Yeah im getting in this boat as well. Unless its some collection I already have started, i'm more in the NFT game now or LE's.
:freddy2:

LegendOfAsgard

Postby LegendOfAsgard » Fri May 24, 2024 2:02 am

E1f4 wrote:

Yeah im getting in this boat as well. Unless its some collection I already have started, i'm more in the NFT game now or LE's.

Yes, I was trying to finish the collection for a couple lines I really enjoy but it's just becoming too much so limiting it down to the rare Freddy and Fundays drops to SDCC and NFT only.

DeejayDaffy

Postby DeejayDaffy » Fri May 24, 2024 4:04 am

I've always thought it would be good to do Funko Shop drops but don't announce the LE number. Let it be a surprise. That way if you wanted it you probably had a chance to get it. Also, maybe just do 1 run on certain commons and then vault them. Again, if you wanted it, you would have had a chance. This would kinda keep people guessing and keep you on your toes to get the ones you want without tons of reseller interference.

Beastywolf

Postby Beastywolf » Fri May 24, 2024 4:30 am

Feels like one piece is slowly going into this route.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri May 24, 2024 9:11 am

I agree I think they need fundays items not to be shared online and the online box to be different items completly
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Return to “Pop!”