Official Disney UPDATES - Updated 4/16/18

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
tinkerbell055

Re: Official Disney Characters Updates

Postby tinkerbell055 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:10 pm

professorratigan wrote:
tinkerbell055 wrote:I totally agree! I mean, Disney makes next to no effort to produce merchandise for anything besides their princess movies, Mickey Mouse & Co., and their Pixar movies (I guess you could include Marvel, too, but I still consider them their own thing). But I'm starting to hope now that Funko is giving some neglected Disney films some Pops. :)

I can understand more why Lady Tremaine is overlooked, but I mean... at least Gaston is funny. :P I was disappointed since he wasn't included in this new BatB wave, but on the other hand Aurora and Aladdin are being released by themselves. :)

What are your thoughts on getting more princes? I know several of them are basically nonentities, but I really love Philip; I'd buy him and Prince Charming in an instant tbh.

Amen to the point about Disney not giving any love to their non-Princess films. It's a complaint I've had for YEARS. It's gotten so bad that I have actually started to despise the Princesses (as a BRAND), when, in fact, I actually quite LIKE most of their films. But, the idea that Mulan and Pocahontas, both of whose original films are pretty much on the same level of public recognition as, say, Hunchback, Hercules, Robin Hood, The Emperor's New Groove and so on, get merchandise JUST because they've been arbitrarily included in a marketing line-up for politically-correct reasons is...well, it just makes me livid sometimes.

I think Lady Tremaine is one of those villains that people just LOATHE. Me, I think that's a GOOD thing. It means she's accomplished her job as the VILLAIN and made you so actively despise her. But, I think too many just hate her without even thinking about how well done she is to INSPIRE that hatred in the first place. Gaston, though, completely mystifies me. He's got some of the greatest lines, greatest songs and one of the greatest roles in the story of his film of ANY Disney villain, he has the Disney Prince good looks and he's a nasty cut of work. I honestly don't know WHY this character gets relegated to the dustbin of Disney Villains. I was quite disappointed we got Peasant Belle over Gaston. If we'd gotten Gaston, the main cast of the film would have been rounded out! Such a wasted opportunity. (Plus, I have a friend who is crazy about the character and who LOVES POPS. I just know if they made Gaston he'd be the perfect birthday/christmas gift for her. So, I've wanted to see him included for THAT reason as much as my own affinity for the character.)

The Princes? You know, except for Phillip, Naveen, Aladdin and Eric, I find them duller than rocks. I mean, I know from a marketing stand point, it'd be smarter for Funko to do them to 'complete' the Princesses (Wow. That sounds bad. As if women need a man to complete them. I didn't mean that at all... lol ) , but, personally, I'm ALL about the Disney Villains. I'd rather see those done first. And the more obscure/cult-classic Disney characters like the casts of Hunchback, Hercules, Sword in the Stone, Great Mouse Detective, Ichabod & Mr. Toad, etc. :)

I feel ya; I LOVE so many of the princess movies, but I, too, HATE the princess BRAND. I think they're finally starting to market some non-brand princess stuff to adults (Target, for example, has had a lot of Disney clothing in the ladies section recently, and I can only think of 1 thing that looked like Disney's typical homogenized "slap-this-art-on-a-shirt-a-plate-a-lunchbox-and-all-the-toy-boxes" promo art stuff), so I hope that continues in the future.

I totally agree about Gaston. He is a great character. I would have preferred him over a 2nd Belle, too (and Belle is my favorite princess!). I enjoy Lady Tremaine, so I hope we at least get a Pop of her in the future. Cinderella is the only classic princess who doesn't have any other representation from her movie.

haha, I know what you mean. :) And yeah, the first 2 are pretty boring, and the villains are more fun overall. I mainly want Charming just cuz Cinderella is all by herself from her movie. haha. I legit want Philip though. I mean, he slays a dragon, he deserves a lot more attention than he gets. ;)

I think Frozen is definitely on its way to becoming this generation's Disney classic. :( It really irritates me when it's called "the best since TLK/BATB/TLM", because 1. I think it had a lot more problems than any of those movies (even TLM, which I don't like), and 2. between TLK and Frozen we got Emperor's New Groove, Hercules, Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, TPaTF, WRECK-IT RALPH... Like, are these people high?? How can they forget those? (Not to mention the Pixar movies.)

tinkerbell055

Postby tinkerbell055 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:15 pm

perbecca wrote:I was also a huge fan of Frozen. Don't get me wrong, I do understand where the dislike comes from and how some parts may not be necessary or how it could have added more to make it better. But all in all, when I watched it, I fell head over heels for it and I loved it to pieces! I loved it so much I designed myself a phone case of Elsa (There are no good looking Windows phone cases anywhere). I never thought of the Lion King as an absolute masterpiece until I saw commercials for Frozen and it honestly confused me because I didn't see it as such. Every Disney movie has its ups and downs, but personally, I hope that Funko does finish all the Princesses because my collection feels incomplete without them.
101 Dalmatians was my favorite movie growing up, so I would love to see pops! of Roger and Anita, as well as a puppy or two!

I don't take issue with people liking it, but I don't like getting treated like a freak just because I DON'T like it, which I have been. :/ I mean, I don't get in anyone's face with my love of TLK or BatB, you know? I will say I love Elsa's design! I bought the TDS doll of her, and I would probably buy a Pop of her. :)

I'd love to see more 101 Dalmatians Pops, too!

wraithkelso

Postby wraithkelso » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 pm

so to address the issue of why Disney only really markets the princesses, pixar, marvel, and star wars, the reason is because the princesses will sell to just about everybody. And really its princesses and any other movie that gets a Diamond Edition Blu-ray release as well as NEW movies. I don't like it but I understand it from a business standpoint. for every 1 robin hood figure they can sell they will sell 50 of Belle
My Pop collection:
Disney: 297
Marvel: 53
Star Wars: 49
Harry Potter: 44
DC: 25
Animation: 11
Once Upon a Time: 9
Misc.: 28
Mystery Minis: 25
Rock-Candy: 12
Funko Games: 7
Dorbz: 5
Plush: 5
Hikari: 5
Vixens: 3
Soda: Roger Rabbit
Wobblers: Darth Vader

professorratigan

Postby professorratigan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 am

That just makes Robin Hood 1000 times cooler. Having Robin Hood merch gets you instant street-cred as far as I'm concerned. :p

(This is coming from someone who owns an official Disney Store plush of Sir Hiss, mind you...)

But, really, the REASON those 'Princesses' and 'Diamond Edition' characters sell so well is BECAUSE THEY ARE SO WELL-MARKETED. Disney doesn't even BOTHER trying to market Robin Hood, The Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective or anything post-Lion King. When I tell people I love Professor Ratigan, their response is almost always, "WHO?" And I say, "The villain from The Great Mouse Detective." "The...what now?" "The Disney movie. About the mouse. Who solves mysteries." "Ooh! You mean the one with the little orphan girl who is being forced to dig for treasure?" "No. The one with the mouse Sherlock Holmes." "Are you SURE this is a Disney movie. I'VE never heard of it.... I think you're smoking crack." I can't tell you HOW many times this conversation has taken place in my life. People just DON'T know who these characters are because Disney doesn't give them any exposure. When Professor Ratigan got a Vinylmation figure, I nearly fell out of my chair I was so happy to see him. Other than that figure, which was released in 2012, Ratigan has only gotten a plush from the early 2000s and a few limited-edition pins. Compare that to the THOUSANDS of Princess items that exist for each individual princess.

You can't tell me there isn't an adult collector's market that would eat merchandise of their favorite seldom-seen characters up. I'd like to see the numbers on the Funko figures of Prince John and Sir Hiss when they come out. I guarantee they're going to sell well precisely BECAUSE they are so rarely seen. Not in spite of that.
Collecting since: August 24, 2014
First POP: Hannibal Lecter (#25)
Most Recent POP: Cyber End Dragon

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:13 am

Wreck it Ralph is one of my favorite animated movies now but I wonder how it gets decided that Wreck It should have Pops released during the movie run but something like Frozen doesn't.

wraithkelso

Postby wraithkelso » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:31 am

Mos_Eisley wrote:Wreck it Ralph is one of my favorite animated movies now but I wonder how it gets decided that Wreck It should have Pops released during the movie run but something like Frozen doesn't.

probably partly based on how uch other merch was being released... Ralph had merch but no nearly as much as what Frozen has
My Pop collection:

Betseygirl

Postby Betseygirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 am

Oh I'm so excited!
Sam, the crazy lady

Chriso7

Postby Chriso7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:57 am

6 inch Star Wars pop, is this another size of pop, awesome!
Funko Poppin All Day Long!
Avid Australian Collector.

Best Pieces
    The Joker GITD Freddy Funko Fundays 2013 1/12
    Deadpool Grey Freddy Funko Fundays 2014 1/24
    Doc Brown GITD Freddy Funko Fundays 2014 1/24
    The Joker Dark Knight Freddy Funko Fundays 2014 1/96
    Green Lantern GITD SDCC 2010 1/240
    The Penguin Metallic Chase

tabby1375

Postby tabby1375 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:27 am

wraithkelso wrote:
Mos_Eisley wrote:Wreck it Ralph is one of my favorite animated movies now but I wonder how it gets decided that Wreck It should have Pops released during the movie run but something like Frozen doesn't.

probably partly based on how uch other merch was being released... Ralph had merch but no nearly as much as what Frozen has

Also, the wreck of Ralph pops came out when disney store still carried pops.
hi! im tabby
follow me on instagram :) Tabbz22

kaw

Postby kaw » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Not sure if these Lion King photos have been posted yet... all I have seen have been the concept art pictures before this:

Betseygirl

Postby Betseygirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm

kaw wrote:Not sure if these Lion King photos have been posted yet... all I have seen have been the concept art pictures before this:

Their so cute.
Sam, the crazy lady

redhawk

Postby redhawk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:09 pm

I find it interesting that they have four of the five Lion King characters that were in the catalog...does that mean Scar actually won't be a thing?
My Blog: http://addictedtofunko.tumblr.com/

edorice
Hall of Fame Class of 2015

Postby edorice » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:53 pm

redhawk wrote:I find it interesting that they have four of the five Lion King characters that were in the catalog...does that mean Scar actually won't be a thing?

They are probably still working on the sculpt.

Oz was missing from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer line-up, but was in the Toy Fair catalog. Some of the pieces that were at Toy Fair were hand painted samples.

professorratigan

Postby professorratigan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Plus, Scar was announced WAY later. We JUST found out about Scar at Toy Fair. The others were all announced in 2013.
Collecting since: August 24, 2014
First POP: Hannibal Lecter (#25)
Most Recent POP: Cyber End Dragon

sphinxie

Postby sphinxie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 am

Eeeeeee!!! I've been waiting so long for Jessica rabbit!!! It's time for me to do some major shop on this weekend!!!

redhawk

Postby redhawk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:57 am

Ooh okay! that makes sense. Thanks! Haha I just remember stuff that appeared in past catalogs that never actually made it to sculpts
My Blog: http://addictedtofunko.tumblr.com/

Capt Hook

Postby Capt Hook » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:19 am

All I want to know who is next to be releast. I know Nemo just came out and the other day I though I saw behind Maleficent a date of May 2014 so is the Maleficent movie POP! the next one to be out or is it someone else coming before her and Aurora.

Capt Hook

Postby Capt Hook » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:24 am

If you see behide Maleficent there is a sign that saids May 2014.

edorice

Postby edorice » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Blake85

Postby Blake85 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 pm

All I can say I saw mock boxes of "Frozen"
And their will be a 6"inch pop in that line.
Have pictures but wont post them.

Also most likely expect Rocket Raccoon exclusives near sdcc.

Hoping for a flock rocket.
Follow me on instagram @popwars and @gojirawars

ISO : Resident Evil Protos :
Jill Valentine , Hunter , Licker , Leon S Kennedy

wraithkelso

Postby wraithkelso » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Blake85 wrote:All I can say I saw mock boxes of "Frozen"

I'm guessing the 6" in Frozen will be Marshmallow lol
My Pop collection:

wraithkelso

Postby wraithkelso » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:56 pm

did anybody at toy fair see anything about release schedule for these?
My Pop collection:

NightmareMermaid
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby NightmareMermaid » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:00 pm

And there will be a 6"inch pop in that line.

Saweeeeet! :cheers:
Marie
❄❄❄ Need 30th anniversary mermaid Ariel, RBtI Ariel Rock Candy, and The Oregon Duck protos ❄❄❄
#PartOfYourWorld

perbecca

Postby perbecca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 pm

wraithkelso wrote:

I didn't think Marshmallow was good enough to get it's own 6 inch pop. Or a pop at all. I'm hoping we get a huge Olaf because why not
My name is Sarah!

Capt Hook

Postby Capt Hook » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:40 pm

perbecca wrote:
wraithkelso wrote:

I didn't think Marshmallow was good enough to get it's own 6 inch pop. Or a pop at all. I'm hoping we get a huge Olaf because why not

I don't think Olaf will be 6" he wasn't big unlike Marshallow. I was hoping someone would do him. I am really surprise there isn't any figures or anything of him. He was one of the cool characters in the movie.

tabby1375

Postby tabby1375 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 pm

Holy moly, if I got to see those at toy fair, I would have peed my pant lmao!!!

Super excited for the frozen pops
hi! im tabby
follow me on instagram :) Tabbz22

floydnjanicefan

Postby floydnjanicefan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:06 pm

Can you say how many characters were included on the back of the box?

I was hoping we get Anna, Elsa, Hans, Kristoff, Sven, and Olaf. The inclusion of Marshmellow would make it a set of 7, which is slightly odd so I wonder if one or more of the others I wanted will be cut.
Last edited by floydnjanicefan on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capt Hook

Postby Capt Hook » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Well I can say for sure we get Elsa and Anna and this mystry 6" figure has to be Marshallow. If we get anymore it could be Olaf. Kristoff could also be part of it but Sven and Hans don't think they be in it. But who knows?

jpaskoff

Postby jpaskoff » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Sven could be 6"
My name is Jared!

I'm looking for the color protos for First Appearance Nightwing, TAS Robin, Robin as Batman, and Carrie Kelley

perbecca

Postby perbecca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:33 pm

perbecca wrote:
wraithkelso wrote:
[b]

I don't think Olaf will be 6" he wasn't big unlike Marshallow. I was hoping someone would do him. I am really surprise there isn't any figures or anything of him. He was one of the cool characters in the movie.

I don't think I would consider him a character really. I'm rethinking and the 6 inch pop could be Sven because they've been having such problems with the Bambi pop, it might be easier to make a reindeer bigger as a whole
On a side note, I'm having so many issues posting from my phone lol
My name is Sarah!

perbecca

Postby perbecca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 pm

jpaskoff wrote:Sven could be 6"

Darn you stealing my thunder. That's what you get when you're on your mobile phone and quoting
My name is Sarah!

AlexisL0922

Postby AlexisL0922 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Wow!! I wish I could've seen those, and the 6" I would assume to be Marshmallow. Just because it was the only character that seems big enough for a bigger sized Pop!
Hi I'm Alexis and I collect Disney and anything else I really like!!

wraithkelso

Postby wraithkelso » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 pm

I think it is safe to say the Captain America 2 pops are now available lol (I already got Black Widow from a comic store)
My Pop collection:

JessicaLyn0205

Postby JessicaLyn0205 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:39 pm

I hope that the recent influx of animal Pops in the Disney line means somewhere in the future I might be able to get some Aristocats.
\Image

You know what I'm saying?
Pop Collection:

Animation - 133
Books - 1
Comics - 9
Disney - 124
Game of Thrones - 54
Games - 101
Harry Potter - 25
DC Heroes - 152
Marvel - 193
Monsters - 1
Movies - 122
Pets - 1
Rides - 12
Rocks - 7
Sanrio - 4
Sesame Street - 3
SNL - 2
Star Wars - 131
Television - 214
UFC - 2
WWE - 48
Zodiac: 11

TOTAL: 1350

Most Valuable Pop: Ned Stark (Headless)
Released 2013
Excl. to San Diego Comic Con
Edition Size: 1008

jambes
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby jambes » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:55 pm

I would love the Aristocrats!! And Lucifer from Cinderella.

gruppetstudios

Postby gruppetstudios » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 pm

The snow monster Elsa creates to get Ana and Sven out of her castle could be the 6"
I'm the Gruppeteer! I host Cartoons VS Cancer! I like Pokemon a LOT!
(The portraits in the top left and right corners were done by Rob Renzetti and Mr. Warburton respectively!)

AlexisL0922

Postby AlexisL0922 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:07 pm

JessicaLyn0205 wrote:I hope that the recent influx of animal Pops in the Disney line means somewhere in the future I might be able to get some Aristocats.
\Image

I would love a Marie pop!
Hi I'm Alexis and I collect Disney and anything else I really like!!

Persinette

Postby Persinette » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Aristocats would be awesome! And as much as I like Olaf, I want Marshmallow to be the 6" with some cool clear spikes
Hi, my name is Ashley!

djkara

Postby djkara » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:18 pm

wraithkelso wrote:oh, lets also make a note that Elliott should be a 9" that comes with a 3" Pete, and they should make a 9" Malefictent as a dragon too

A 9" Dragon Maleficent would be awesome. Hopefully we get a Prince Phillip some time and the fairies would be a great addition.
Kara

NightmareMermaid
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby NightmareMermaid » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 pm

AlexisL0922 wrote:
JessicaLyn0205 wrote:I hope that the recent influx of animal Pops in the Disney line means somewhere in the future I might be able to get some Aristocats.
\Image

I would love a Marie pop!

Me too! :D
Marie
❄❄❄ Need 30th anniversary mermaid Ariel, RBtI Ariel Rock Candy, and The Oregon Duck protos ❄❄❄
#PartOfYourWorld

Return to “Pop!”