Auotgraphing Pops?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Serch_na

Re: Auotgraphing Pops?

Postby Serch_na » Thu May 25, 2023 12:29 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
nightbodega wrote:As much as I was an in-box collector before, I just don't have room no more. Lately, I've been trashing the boxes and just keeping the Funko item. I've wonder how does a signature hold up on a pop.

i can't speak to the autograph on a pop but it seems like it'd be odd to sign, also i've always wondered do pops really store better out of box though? they're such weird shapes i find the boxes allowing stacking makes it so much easier to store them.

The only reason i keep them in box is this, if cleaning boxes is hard i dont want to think what would happeb with all my pops OOB, and i think the sign will eventually have damage with the pop like that
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

kristineisjoy

Postby kristineisjoy » Thu May 25, 2023 2:24 pm

dang im still working on 1 signature lol good stuff guys!
LOVING MY FUNKOS!!!!

Lobstercrossing

Postby Lobstercrossing » Thu May 25, 2023 2:29 pm

Nooklin wrote:I won't pay more for a signed pop because the experience of getting it signed and meeting the person is where the value is for me.

100%. You can see it down at SDCC when people are walking along the autograph lines, offering people insane amounts of money for their spot in line. Autographs are fun to look at, but without the attached memory of the experience, I dunno.
My real name is Noah, but you can call me... Noah.

ComicsZombie

Postby ComicsZombie » Thu May 25, 2023 4:19 pm

I just got my first JSA sticker at Comic Con Revolution in Ontario, CA. I don't usually do it (the Pops are for me, I got them signed, I know they are authentic) But I figured why not. I got a nice Roxy Richter Pop signed by Mae Whitman. It was a great experience and easy. So many people excited about her signing for AtLA.
#BeastBoyShrine
ISO: >> \:D/ Any Beast Boy Proto (in White and color), & My Hero Academia Protos <<

IG: ComicsZombie
TW: @ComicsZombie
Tumblr: TheComicsZombie
YT: ComicsZombie

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Thu May 25, 2023 4:36 pm

Dave17251 wrote:I feel the same way with signed pops. I have a purist vibe so I don't like seeing writing on my pops. I would prefer an art print of photo of said celebrity or person. There have been some videos of people wanting multiple signatures to resell and it left a sour taste in my mouth. The Rey Mysterio incident is a very good example of this, although I don't let those people speak for those who like signed pops.

So I just saw the Rey Mysterio airport video and it made me incredibly upset to see those losers have a bunch of Pops for Rey to sign for obvious resale. If I were a celeb, I'd be much more rude than Rey so credit to him for being cordial about rejecting them.

I have a few signed Pops and my reasoning has always been I'd rather have their signature then miss out. I wish I met Robin Williams and Kobe Bryant, and in the end have something be signed by them but life comes at us fast and tragedies happen. I don't have the resources to go out and meet these people in person so I'll pay to get something signed from people I really like.
ImageImageImageImageImage

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Thu May 25, 2023 4:48 pm

ComicsZombie wrote:I just got my first JSA sticker at Comic Con Revolution in Ontario, CA. I don't usually do it (the Pops are for me, I got them signed, I know they are authentic) But I figured why not. I got a nice Roxy Richter Pop signed by Mae Whitman. It was a great experience and easy. So many people excited about her signing for AtLA.

Not to bring the mood down, but I usually get things authenticated just because I think it will be easier for my wife to sell down the line. She will 100% outlive me ;-)
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Isouza75

Postby Isouza75 » Thu May 25, 2023 5:29 pm

What company do you guys use to authenticate pops?

jedik6
HoF 2023 & CotM
HoF 2023 & CotM

Postby jedik6 » Thu May 25, 2023 7:01 pm

Isouza75 wrote:What company do you guys use to authenticate pops?

There are different ones that are good - like Beckett, PSA, etc.

I've been extremely fortunate and gotten to meet quite a few Marvel actors so I got them to sign their character pops. My most valuable ones are Chadwick Boseman and Scarlett Johansson. I finally managed to snag Mark Ruffalo's autograph so that completes my set of six core Avengers. I haven't sent any pops in to be authenticated though because I'm a bit too nervous of things happening to my pops. The good thing is I do have proof of obtaining the autographs in person.
Ahsoka Superfan
HOF #94 - Class of 2023
ISO Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel MCU
Wednesday Addams Netflix Proto

Isouza75

Postby Isouza75 » Thu May 25, 2023 8:18 pm

jedik6 wrote:
Isouza75 wrote:What company do you guys use to authenticate pops?

There are different ones that are good - like Beckett, PSA, etc.

I've been extremely fortunate and gotten to meet quite a few Marvel actors so I got them to sign their character pops. My most valuable ones are Chadwick Boseman and Scarlett Johansson. I finally managed to snag Mark Ruffalo's autograph so that completes my set of six core Avengers. I haven't sent any pops in to be authenticated though because I'm a bit too nervous of things happening to my pops. The good thing is I do have proof of obtaining the autographs in person.

Thanks for the info

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Thu May 25, 2023 8:48 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
nightbodega wrote:As much as I was an in-box collector before, I just don't have room no more. Lately, I've been trashing the boxes and just keeping the Funko item. I've wonder how does a signature hold up on a pop.

i can't speak to the autograph on a pop but it seems like it'd be odd to sign, also i've always wondered do pops really store better out of box though? they're such weird shapes i find the boxes allowing stacking makes it so much easier to store them.

I know exactly what you mean. I agree with you that you can stack more boxes on a shelf, all depends on layout and shelf space. For me, I have a shelf in which I can stack two pops high and two pops deep. The problem was, I could not see what pops I had in the back hiding. I would forget and sometimes go around looking for them, not knowing it was in an easy to reach area. Having them out of box, I can easily see them. I just buy stands for them. I find that I can actually have more pops on one shelf without the box.

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Thu May 25, 2023 8:50 pm

Serch_na wrote:
Mr Yac wrote:

The only reason i keep them in box is this, if cleaning boxes is hard i dont want to think what would happeb with all my pops OOB, and i think the sign will eventually have damage with the pop like that

This has come across my mind a few times. I usually clean my pops once a month. Just a simple duster and they are all cleaned. My shelves do have a slightly better protection, that keeps dust out, but it always finds its way in, no matter what.

ComicsZombie

Postby ComicsZombie » Fri May 26, 2023 10:22 am

scullysdad wrote:
ComicsZombie wrote:I just got my first JSA sticker at Comic Con Revolution in Ontario, CA. I don't usually do it (the Pops are for me, I got them signed, I know they are authentic) But I figured why not. I got a nice Roxy Richter Pop signed by Mae Whitman. It was a great experience and easy. So many people excited about her signing for AtLA.

Not to bring the mood down, but I usually get things authenticated just because I think it will be easier for my wife to sell down the line. She will 100% outlive me ;-)

I totally get that. It's just not something I need for myself most of the time.
#BeastBoyShrine
ISO: >> \:D/ Any Beast Boy Proto (in White and color), & My Hero Academia Protos <<

IG: ComicsZombie
TW: @ComicsZombie
Tumblr: TheComicsZombie
YT: ComicsZombie

FunkoVandal413

Postby FunkoVandal413 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:31 am

I don't buy Funko pops anymore unless they're specific from lines I collect or if I'm gonna get them signed.

Half of my collection is signed pops and I love it.

However the biggest scam is charging extra for autos on pops but I understand since I've seen a-holes ask for long quotes on all windows basically covering the whole thing
IG Manifiesto_413
Funko Collector since 2011, dedicated and with a crown tattoo. My biggest goals are to become a HoF member and attend Fundays someday.
C2E2 '19, '20, '21, '23
FunKon '21
Fan Expo '22, '23
Anime Magic '22, '23
Anime Central '23
Anime Senpai '23
Days of the Dead Staff '19, '21, '22, '23
Anime Midwest Staff '23

:freddy2:

Dv8sian

Postby Dv8sian » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:33 am

Rice71 wrote:
OffTheCHENG wrote:
Nooklin wrote:I won't pay more for a signed pop because the experience of getting it signed and meeting the person is where the value is for me.

Same here. All my signed pops have been in some in person by me.

I’m on same boat. Most of mine are in person face to face autographs. My most memorable is Chadwick Bosman at Sdcc when he was at the Marvel booth for Black Panther.

Nice I was there at the signing to! I regret not trying to pick up a pop prior to the signing but a Signed poster is still awesome! Im was to use to other booths not letting you bring stuff in to sign but the Marvel people are really amazing!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FunkoEmu

Postby FunkoEmu » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:45 pm

Dv8sian wrote:
Rice71 wrote:
OffTheCHENG wrote:Same here. All my signed pops have been in some in person by me.

I’m on same boat. Most of mine are in person face to face autographs. My most memorable is Chadwick Bosman at Sdcc when he was at the Marvel booth for Black Panther.

Nice I was there at the signing to! I regret not trying to pick up a pop prior to the signing but a Signed poster is still awesome! Im was to use to other booths not letting you bring stuff in to sign but the Marvel people are really amazing!

This will be my first SDCC, so pardon the ignorance... but how would you even know which pops to bring for a signing? Do they let you know who will be there ahead of time? I'm more used to NYCC where you just buy the autograph long before the event anyway so planning to bring a pop is a no-brainer.
ImageImage
SDCC: 2023, 2024
DragonCon: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
NYCC: 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024

liiilzz

Re: Autograph or not to autograph? That is the question!

Postby liiilzz » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:18 pm

It honestly depends for me. One thing that really bugs me is when I get an autograph and that person’s signature is ugly. I feel that ruins the pop for me? So I will search to see if I like theirs first. I also will only get quotes that match the pop because it just makes sense to me to do that.

So for instance, I do have Shikamaru from Naruto signed and my quote says “shadow clone jutsu” even though “what a drag” would have been a great quote

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:46 pm

liiilzz wrote:It honestly depends for me. One thing that really bugs me is when I get an autograph and that person’s signature is ugly. I feel that ruins the pop for me? So I will search to see if I like theirs first. I also will only get quotes that match the pop because it just makes sense to me to do that.

So for instance, I do have Shikamaru from Naruto signed and my quote says “shadow clone jutsu” even though “what a drag” would have been a great quote

I don’t think ugly signatures ruin the pop for me, but I would be extremely hesitant to pay for an ugly signature or a signature that looks like a 1/10th of second squiggle.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

liiilzz

Postby liiilzz » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:47 pm

Alanamaslama wrote:
liiilzz wrote:It honestly depends for me. One thing that really bugs me is when I get an autograph and that person’s signature is ugly. I feel that ruins the pop for me? So I will search to see if I like theirs first. I also will only get quotes that match the pop because it just makes sense to me to do that.

I don’t think ugly signatures ruin the pop for me, but I would be extremely hesitant to pay for an ugly signature or a signature that looks like a 1/10th of second squiggle.

Especially if they charge an arm and a leg for it LOL

S_E_R_G_I_O

Postby S_E_R_G_I_O » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:52 pm

If you do get an auto graph do some research first. Like what markers are bette. I got a Pop signed years ago by Stan Lee. He signed it with a regular black sharpie marker and the paint has faded over the years.
Instagram - thefunkocouple
ImageImage

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:55 pm

liiilzz wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:

I will say though my favorite thing about getting autographs is getting the time to spend talking to these people. Have had some great interactions that will be remembered for the rest of my life

Absolutely true. I definitely wouldn’t buy a squiggle without the experience of meeting them.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

WonderCon 2019

liiilzz

Postby liiilzz » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:56 pm

Alanamaslama wrote:
liiilzz wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:

I will say though my favorite thing about getting autographs is getting the time to spend talking to these people. Have had some great interactions that will be remembered for the rest of my life

Absolutely true. I definitely wouldn’t buy a squiggle without the experience of meeting them.

Totally agree. Some people are ok buying autos off others but I’d prefer chance to meet them otherwise I’m good on the signature

chester
Hall of Fame Class of 2009
Hall of Fame Class of 2009

Postby chester » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:25 pm

I don't have any autographed POP's, not really a fan it always covers up the POP itself. To me you have to wait in a long line usually, and pay a fee for a strangers signature.Not worth it to me, but you do you. Just my opinion.
Hello everyone! In case you don't know my name is Paul(Chester if your nasty)

ImranC23

Postby ImranC23 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:07 pm

I really was against it for the longest but I gave in! I think I’m currently up to about 21 autographs but I need to dial it back a little bit! They’re just so displayable!
ImageImage

Funatic of the Week: March 8th 2019
Instagram:shelfofimran
ISO:Black Cat Prototype, Freddy Funko Boba Fett, Freddy Funko as Venom

OffTheCHENG

Postby OffTheCHENG » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:07 pm

FunkoEmu wrote:
Dv8sian wrote:
Rice71 wrote:I’m on same boat. Most of mine are in person face to face autographs. My most memorable is Chadwick Bosman at Sdcc when he was at the Marvel booth for Black Panther.

This will be my first SDCC, so pardon the ignorance... but how would you even know which pops to bring for a signing? Do they let you know who will be there ahead of time? I'm more used to NYCC where you just buy the autograph long before the event anyway so planning to bring a pop is a no-brainer.

Hey! That's a really good question. Yes, prior to any event there is normally a list of attendees or individuals who will be there for signing. It's always good to keep an eye out on the events web page as they are always updating. That is how I know who is going to be there and what pops to bring. It's also a good way to plan out your day so that way you are able to get all the signatures you want.
Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:22 pm

OffTheCHENG wrote:
FunkoEmu wrote:
Dv8sian wrote:

Hey! That's a really good question. Yes, prior to any event there is normally a list of attendees or individuals who will be there for signing. It's always good to keep an eye out on the events web page as they are always updating. That is how I know who is going to be there and what pops to bring. It's also a good way to plan out your day so that way you are able to get all the signatures you want.

I also follow the Unofficial SDCC Blog. So much goes on at SDCC that doesn’t get highlighted or even announced sometimes.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

WonderCon 2019

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:32 pm

Definitely worth getting an autograph if it means something to you.

FunkoEmu

Postby FunkoEmu » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:30 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
OffTheCHENG wrote:
FunkoEmu wrote:This will be my first SDCC, so pardon the ignorance... but how would you even know which pops to bring for a signing? Do they let you know who will be there ahead of time? I'm more used to NYCC where you just buy the autograph long before the event anyway so planning to bring a pop is a no-brainer.

I also follow the Unofficial SDCC Blog. So much goes on at SDCC that doesn’t get highlighted or even announced sometimes.

I actually did start following them. I have been listening to the podcast too, but that is mostly "fluff pieces" about the history of the con. Can be a fun listen, but isn't so big on the news (they do drop some news in it though). I found that their twitter is a must-follow though.

Side Note: Someone on the the East Coast should put together something similar for NYCC news.
ImageImage

FunkoEmu

Postby FunkoEmu » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:33 am

OffTheCHENG wrote:
FunkoEmu wrote:
Dv8sian wrote:

Awesome! Thanks so much for the tip. Would love to get a hard-to-get autograph or 2, but more than that I'm looking forward to just experiencing SDCC in general.
ImageImage

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:10 am

FunkoEmu wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
OffTheCHENG wrote:Hey! That's a really good question. Yes, prior to any event there is normally a list of attendees or individuals who will be there for signing. It's always good to keep an eye out on the events web page as they are always updating. That is how I know who is going to be there and what pops to bring. It's also a good way to plan out your day so that way you are able to get all the signatures you want.

I actually did start following them. I have been listening to the podcast too, but that is mostly "fluff pieces" about the history of the con. Can be a fun listen, but isn't so big on the news (they do drop some news in it though). I found that their twitter is a must-follow though.

Side Note: Someone on the the East Coast should put together something similar for NYCC news.

News on the blog really starts ramping up near the end of June. If I see a name I’m interested in, I also follow that celeb or comic writer or company or whoever on social media, because the Blog can only catch every last minute update.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

WonderCon 2019

Rice71

Postby Rice71 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:03 pm

Dv8sian wrote:
Rice71 wrote:
OffTheCHENG wrote:Same here. All my signed pops have been in some in person by me.

When I heard we can bring a second item to get signed. I went every booth that sold funkos, a lot of them didn’t have a black panther pop and you have figure the movie wasn’t out yet. I walked from end to end of the convention center. I barely made it I was near the back of the line.
ImageImage
ImageImage

POP&lock

Postby POP&lock » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:53 pm

gastlecast wrote:My wife and I love getting our pops autographed. We like the experience of getting the pops autographed. We have so many fun stories from over the years!

Some celebs are better than others.. but me and my wife do the same, always a good time waiting in line and trying to think of something clever to say to them.. loved the video of you getting all the Freddy Optimus Primes signed! Not gonna lie the pink looked the best =D> super epic!
Current count over 3000! I love Count Chocula! Currently trying to aquire all things count related.
Instagrams: kronic_funko_bulbasaur
:freddy1: Original Funko FunKlub #1188
Image Image

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:38 pm

POP&lock wrote:
gastlecast wrote:My wife and I love getting our pops autographed. We like the experience of getting the pops autographed. We have so many fun stories from over the years!

Some celebs are better than others.. but me and my wife do the same, always a good time waiting in line and trying to think of something clever to say to them.. loved the video of you getting all the Freddy Optimus Primes signed! Not gonna lie the pink looked the best =D> super epic!

one of the nicest celebs was JDF. i have yet to meet a celeb that was as nice and sincere as he was with every single fan.

Danito

Postby Danito » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:49 pm

I have mixed feeling about this, for sure it becomes special piece in your collection but then I have seen many cases where you cannot appreciate the funko. Personally I do not have any signed but it may change in the near future :albino:

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:58 pm

I haven't been faced with this predicament yet but for me it would have to be a pop i can easily buy another one of. One for the collection and one as a trophy of sorts. lol
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:10 am

I like autographs but when it comes to having them on my Pops I actually like them on my hardcase protectors instead.
Image Image

OffTheCHENG

Postby OffTheCHENG » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:56 am

mastakimchi wrote:
POP&lock wrote:

one of the nicest celebs was JDF. i have yet to meet a celeb that was as nice and sincere as he was with every single fan.

I totally agree with you! I got the pleasure of meeting him twice and he was genuinely nice to both times. Its sad that we lost him =*(
Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Katers

Postby Katers » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:02 am

S_E_R_G_I_O wrote:If you do get an auto graph do some research first. Like what markers are bette. I got a Pop signed years ago by Stan Lee. He signed it with a regular black sharpie marker and the paint has faded over the years.

So true, and I'm so glad you mentioned it - I thought I was alone in this rabbit hole! I have had a lot of fun the last few weeks ordering paint pens off Amazon, testing colors on old posters that I need to throw away or pop boxes of OOB pops. Does this color show up against a dark poster? Does this color blend in too much to the pop? Does this color POP on top of the pop?? It's a spiral, I tell ya!

But I also got a great signature from Stephen Amell last weekend on an Arrow pop. Used a light green, and it shows up SO WELL against the pop. Really feeling like all my research and testing worked out! And then - lesson learned, William Shatner in a light blue so it doesn't blend into his Starfleet uniform. Well worth the additional checking to make sure those autographs stand out!
Image ImageImage Image

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:02 am

What are people’s thoughts on authenticated signatures that aren’t witnessed by the authenticating company? Companies like CGC only verify signatures one of their employees or a certified third party witness, and even then there’s a whole chain of custody thing.

It’s not perfect, but it seems stricter than my experiences with JSA at cons. With JSA, the JSA employee sits at his own table and you bring your signed items to him. They don’t really examine it closely, but they’ll verify signatures of guests at the cons. There’s nothing really stopping you from bringing items signed by the same signee from years ago, or even doing a good copy job. Just seems a little sketchy.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

WonderCon 2019

funko_gtx91

Postby funko_gtx91 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:33 am

I wasn’t a fan at first but after getting my first autograph on a pop I was hooked

mastakimchi

Postby mastakimchi » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:26 am

Alanamaslama wrote:What are people’s thoughts on authenticated signatures that aren’t witnessed by the authenticating company? Companies like CGC only verify signatures one of their employees or a certified third party witness, and even then there’s a whole chain of custody thing.

It’s not perfect, but it seems stricter than my experiences with JSA at cons. With JSA, the JSA employee sits at his own table and you bring your signed items to him. They don’t really examine it closely, but they’ll verify signatures of guests at the cons. There’s nothing really stopping you from bringing items signed by the same signee from years ago, or even doing a good copy job. Just seems a little sketchy.

It all depends on what your objective is imo. Although you can probably pass fakes at these authenication places probably pretty easily, it still gives a buyer a piece of mind when it does have the authentication when you sell it. And as the piece gets more expensive, the more i expect some sort of authenication when i buy it. Cgc is great.. but do they do auto authentication for funkos? And keep in mind jsa charges what $10-15.. cgc with all its fees probably end up costing $75-$100

Return to “Pop!”