What Makes A Grail?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Orozcoj24

Re: What Makes A Grail?

Postby Orozcoj24 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:58 am

A grail could be a pop over a certain dollar value threshold or something that just has emotional value to someone. What is a grail to someone may not be a grail to others, and some high end collectors also have mega grail classifications

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 pm

NitroNiki wrote:Hi, friends! What makes a grail, well, a grail?

Hold my glass,

I got this

Simple mathematic equation for what a grail is

When Demand outweighs Supply. . Which is why numbered pops tend to become grails especially when it’s a popular character
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

CAHLEB

Postby CAHLEB » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:21 pm

A grail needs to have value over $100 IMO

Justsonice25

Postby Justsonice25 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:47 pm

Whatever pop you personally sought after. Your grail might not be someone else's. and that's ok

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 pm

Justsonice25 wrote:Whatever pop you personally sought after. Your grail might not be someone else's. and that's ok

You are absolutely correct. One of my grails from Funko is the gold bender from Futurama bank that was an SDCC exclusive. It was from when Funko was a single table booth before it exploded with Pop! I remember I decided against it because I thought I could get it later and when I went back to get it I could not. That is my personal grail for Funko.

Justsonice25

Postby Justsonice25 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:55 pm

Chuckles00012 wrote:
Justsonice25 wrote:Whatever pop you personally sought after. Your grail might not be someone else's. and that's ok

You are absolutely correct. One of my grails from Funko is the gold bender from Futurama bank that was an SDCC exclusive. It was from when Funko was a single table booth before it exploded with Pop! I remember I decided against it because I thought I could get it later and when I went back to get it I could not. That is my personal grail for Funko.

Yea, mine was the Super Shadow LE 1500 pcs. I currently can't afford it, but they just made the Gamestop Exclusive GITD 2 pack and it's even better.

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 pm

Justsonice25 wrote:
Chuckles00012 wrote:

Yea, mine was the Super Shadow LE 1500 pcs. I currently can't afford it, but they just made the Gamestop Exclusive GITD 2 pack and it's even better.

Yeah those new one is getting better, but old ones gains value overtime.
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

Justsonice25 wrote:
Chuckles00012 wrote:

My buddy has one of the LE 1500 Super Sonics. It's a very cool one. Great call for a Grail.

Justsonice25

Postby Justsonice25 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 pm

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Justsonice25 wrote:
Chuckles00012 wrote:You are absolutely correct. One of my grails from Funko is the gold bender from Futurama bank that was an SDCC exclusive. It was from when Funko was a single table booth before it exploded with Pop! I remember I decided against it because I thought I could get it later and when I went back to get it I could not. That is my personal grail for Funko.

Yeah those new one is getting better, but old ones gains value overtime.

Yup, very true. I'd probably have to trade up for it.

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:27 pm

Conventions can be a great place to trade up for grails but the smaller cons are definitely better for that. SDCC is amazing but trading up can be difficult especially when grail hunting.

deadlycollects

Postby deadlycollects » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:45 pm

CAHLEB wrote:A grail needs to have value over $100 IMO

I say 150 is grail status

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:11 am

Your favorite pop which makes it priceless because you wouldn't trade it or sell it, most of the time it's a very sought-after pop just my opinion
:freddy3:

NitroNiki

Postby NitroNiki » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 pm

PopPChulo wrote:

Hold my glass,

I got this

When Demand outweighs Supply. . Which is why numbered pops tend to become grails especially when it’s a popular character

Interesting. At what point would be the special count? My interpretation would be like a 1 of 100.
"You'll never beat me, Egg Shen!" :SW9:

ImageImage

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:25 pm

NitroNiki wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

Hold my glass,

I got this

Interesting. At what point would be the special count? My interpretation would be like a 1 of 100.

That basically means that the limited number are made available and then other factors like distribution mistakes. One major that comes to mind is the Hall H Ahsokas from SDCC2022.

nostaljay

Postby nostaljay » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 pm

Theres all kinds of different grails, from price point, to personal, to an end game goal you want to achieve. Its all up to you, what your definition of grail is
ImageImage
#TEAMPROTOROBOS #TEAMFUNAMUCK BEARS

thebigdog14

Postby thebigdog14 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

I think a grail is made by monetary value, piece number, and how badly someone wants the pop. However, not all of these things are required because every person has a different definition.
SDCC 2014-2019, 2022, 2023
SWC 2019
Funko Fundays 2019, 2022, 2023

Gsanch28

Postby Gsanch28 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 pm

I think grails can either be something someone cherishes for either the reason of how they got it won it. Or if it has meaning to them because of the character.

Some people think value and limited runs too.
:freddy1: " I don't know anything with certainty, but seeing the stars makes me dream"

Jmagic

Postby Jmagic » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:11 am

For me a grail is something that makes me happy and has impact for me whether it’s a memory or something that is unique \:D/
I Collect Stoof :albino:

NitroNiki

Postby NitroNiki » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:31 pm

Jmagic wrote:For me a grail is something that makes me happy and has impact for me whether it’s a memory or something that is unique \:D/

I love this point of view! If I were to answer with this view point, I guess I have several grails now come to think of it. :)
"You'll never beat me, Egg Shen!" :SW9:

ImageImage

Return to “Pop!”