What Makes A Grail?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
zonkttc

Re: What Makes A Grail?

Postby zonkttc » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:32 am

:fdo92: its all up to you. I find my grails to be what means the most to me while to my girl her grails are what connects to her the most. Like her jem pops. Pretty common to me but to her. She'd sell me b4 her jem pop

friskykillface

Postby friskykillface » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:36 pm

Piece count tbh
But personal grails are a thing too

It’s always up to someone and different, but it’s always funny when certain pops go unnoticed/bought then become grails
Hey, take care and have an awesome day.

Teddyb84

Postby Teddyb84 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:36 pm

for me peice count and price i guess
ImageIG Teddyb1984

Richard822

Postby Richard822 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:38 am

A grail is something that a lot of people want which drive’s the price up so in my book’s anything above $100 is a grail to me. :freddy2:

BatLita

Postby BatLita » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:44 pm

This is a very subjective question, but it's not always based on value. To me, a grail is something someone has been searching for a long time - that is desired to obtain, but isn't the easiest thing to find.
FRIGHT NIGHT 2022
FUNDAYS 2022
SDCC 2022
NYCC 2022
NYCC 2019
ECCC 2019
NYCC 2018
NYCC 2017
NYCC 2016
NYCC 2015

perfectprecious

Postby perfectprecious » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:04 pm

NitroNiki wrote:Hi, friends! What makes a grail, well, a grail?

I definitely think it just depends on the person. whatever pop speaks to them and holds value in their eyes is their own personal grail. Other grails are those that are numbered and super limited. For me, my personal grails are all my Carl & Ellie pops and my newly acquired Freddy Funko as Jollibee.
First Funko POP: Daenerys (Wedding Dress) 2014
Current obsession: Funko Sodas! Ted Lasso Funko POPs

Dahhaka1435

Postby Dahhaka1435 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:49 pm

Nice grails!

PinoPenguino

Postby PinoPenguino » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:20 am

zonkttc wrote::fdo92: its all up to you. I find my grails to be what means the most to me while to my girl her grails are what connects to her the most. Like her jem pops. Pretty common to me but to her. She'd sell me b4 her jem pop

Totally agree with this personal grails are the best type because value shouldn’t be the main reason to collect, for some people it is and that’s cool but a grail to you should be what means the most to you!

chosenjuan01

Postby chosenjuan01 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:18 pm

Squird wrote:Whatever you want it to be. I think it should be something you've been dying to get forever and can't seem to get your hands on. Many think its based on price. I think they're wrong.

This is so true! Price shouldn’t even matter. It’s just got to be your most desirable piece to add to your collection. People got it twisted these days! :D
I AM THE CHOSENJUAN :dance:
SHINZOU WO SASAGAYO
COMPTON BORN N RAISED

Schl0

Postby Schl0 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:23 pm

I feel like it can be both something that you hold near and dear to your heart or something that is very rare. I remember when was first collecting I was trying to find the Walmart Exclusive B&W Daryl Dixon. I looked for that thing forever and when I finally found it there was such a rush of excitement. It wasn't crazy valuable, but the time and energy I put into it made that piece a personal grail!
-Eric-
IG: @artbyschlo

joshuadoescosplay

Postby joshuadoescosplay » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:12 pm

Varying definitions, depends if overall grail or personal grail. My personal favorite pop in my collection (I consider it a grail) is the HQ exclusive Mothman. Huge cryptid fan.
ImageImage

Gillman

Postby Gillman » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:43 pm

In my mind any of the SDCC 480 PC's seemed so tough to get they have to be considered "grail" level. Celebrity pops at Fundays where one table takes the win like the Golden Luke or Golden Hopper are obvious selections as well.

Glow Anakin obviously seems to be the newest "grail" and has to do with low piece count and the Star Wars fan base having so many people looking for "full" collections but that can spread to Marvel and Anime in general.

Superturtlewave

Postby Superturtlewave » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:00 am

Definitely subjective, but I think as long it's your most beloved pop(s), theyre considered grails. The price is a bonus

bitmap

Postby bitmap » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:10 am

if grailmonster is after it, it's a grail.

BearyAllen

Postby BearyAllen » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:19 pm

From Middle English graal, greal, from Old French graal, greal (“cup”), from Medieval Latin gradalis, possibly corrupted over time from Latin crater (“bowl”).

Or also a Hall H Ahsoka.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:19 pm

:freddy1: :freddy2:
According to Oxford dictionary it is " A thing that is eagerly persude or sought for"
So its up to you what is worth pursuing or sought for. However I can give u a way I found what a grail is for :
:-$ How much I like the genre
:-$ How i feel about the pop
:-$ Is it something that I enjoy

For me I love pops and bobafett pops especially are my usual grails.
I hope the best on your collecting journey. Post ur haul soon. :bounce: :freddy2:

wengderful

Postby wengderful » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:25 am

Superturtlewave wrote:Definitely subjective, but I think as long it's your most beloved pop(s), theyre considered grails. The price is a bonus

This!
Fundays 2015:2016:2022:2023

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:32 am

PinoPenguino wrote:
zonkttc wrote::fdo92: its all up to you. I find my grails to be what means the most to me while to my girl her grails are what connects to her the most. Like her jem pops. Pretty common to me but to her. She'd sell me b4 her jem pop

Totally agree with this personal grails are the best type because value shouldn’t be the main reason to collect, for some people it is and that’s cool but a grail to you should be what means the most to you!

:freddy2: what got me was a friend told me that their grails is collecting. I never thought of it like that. I love collecting but never thought it was part of what a grail is. Blew my mind. \:D/ :brilsmurf: :compress:

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:57 pm

It can be personal or value (or both). In the case of personal, something your after for whatever reason. Completes a series, has some sentimental value to you, connects with a personal story or experience, etc.... For value, self-explanatory. Just has a tremendous amount of secondary market wealth. But that "dollar" amount varies for each person. If you don't make a lot of money, $50 could be a lot to spend on a Pop. If you make millions (which most of us don't), that amount tends to be higher. What I've also seen is that folks have a predetermined limit in their head of what they are willing to spend. Like you might see your "grail" but say, I'm never dropping that amount. Always a fun debate amongst collectors as to what defines a "grail".

Smiiley07

Postby Smiiley07 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:17 pm

Limited quantity, and a unique mold that stands out

Corrupt_Cubone_

Postby Corrupt_Cubone_ » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:07 pm

I would say a grail pop is one that can reach that hefty $500-$1000 price tag or a POP that is a personal goal in your funko collecting career usually it being rare or hard to find

Follow me on instagram! Corrupt_cubone_. :freddy3:

inglip

Postby inglip » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:27 am

My definition of a grail is probably not like everyone else's, but for me it's not necessarily about the price/monetary value of the piece, rather the amount of effort or the significance behind how you got it. I have two grails that I cherish: one is the GitD white ranger from SDCC in 2013 because I waited all day near the Funko booth only to be let in towards the end of the day, and this was one of the only ones that were left so I picked it up and it was an extraordinary amount of effort that yielded something fruitful. The other is the Alan and baby Carlos Funko pop from the Hangover, because it was picked up by sheer coincidence at NYNY when I was in Vegas for EDC for 2014, and every time I look at it it reminds me of that adventure.
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

Sthesuperstar

Postby Sthesuperstar » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:54 pm

To me a grail is something I really want but is unattainable to me because of the price. If I ever get the money to buy it, its my grail. My current grails are the 4 og simpson pops and freddy and jason chase pops. Maybe one day lol
Follow Me On Instagram @sthesuperstar
ISO SIMPSONS POPS & PROTOS
Member Of Funko Fiends Midwest as of November 2019 :freddy1:

Sthesuperstar

Postby Sthesuperstar » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:57 pm

inglip wrote:My definition of a grail is probably not like everyone else's, but for me it's not necessarily about the price/monetary value of the piece, rather the amount of effort or the significance behind how you got it. I have two grails that I cherish: one is the GitD white ranger from SDCC in 2013 because I waited all day near the Funko booth only to be let in towards the end of the day, and this was one of the only ones that were left so I picked it up and it was an extraordinary amount of effort that yielded something fruitful. The other is the Alan and baby Carlos Funko pop from the Hangover, because it was picked up by sheer coincidence at NYNY when I was in Vegas for EDC for 2014, and every time I look at it it reminds me of that adventure.

I agree with this as well. There a few pops in my collection that are worthless as far as monetary value but hold a special place in my heart because they are connected to some great con memories, great people I have met through collecting, or great experiences when pop hunting. I will never let those go.
Follow Me On Instagram @sthesuperstar
ISO SIMPSONS POPS & PROTOS
Member Of Funko Fiends Midwest as of November 2019 :freddy1:

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:19 pm

I think value or something w/special meaning to you for one reason or another
Anime/Pokemon Collector

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:31 pm

A perfect storm between rarity, hard to find and hypr from the collectors, example the new grails now are from anime because theyre very very popular and people want them ASAP so they pay crazy prices
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

Beto2499

Postby Beto2499 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:46 pm

What makes a pop a grail is what it means to you

desdin28

Postby desdin28 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:17 am

What makes the pop a grail is not just monetary value but any sentimental meaning behind getting the pop. Whether it is a favorite memory of the character, a gift from a friend or meeting celebrities for autographs and the small but meaningful interactions makes it a grail in my books.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:42 am

desdin28 wrote:What makes the pop a grail is not just monetary value but any sentimental meaning behind getting the pop. Whether it is a favorite memory of the character, a gift from a friend or meeting celebrities for autographs and the small but meaningful interactions makes it a grail in my books.

This answer is perfect. Grail is such a subjective word i feel its hard to give a general answer that everyone would agree.

DiegoLo

Postby DiegoLo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:16 am

This was also one of my questions, as many answers are more subjective and depend on many factors. I wondered how some Stores categorize the Grail into like Top Grail, Mega Grail, and others. This is more like the value than another thing I guess.

Also, I left another question, If I have a Wanted Product (just an Idea) It also be called a Grail? This is because is one item I want to be in my collection. Or If It is a New announcement, leaked, or something like that, algo wins the Grail category?
For Example, the new One Piece Luffy Gear 5 is a wanted/desired item in my collection, a personal Grail as soon as I saw the episode last year. This week was officially announced and the glad shots were released. The label Grail was right given before and now?
Funko Collectibles Count:1000+ (Need more space)
ISO Freddy Flux (4 of them)

SDCC 2018 - 2019, 2023
NYCC 2021
Fundays (Soon)

desdin28

Postby desdin28 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:11 am

DiegoLo wrote:This was also one of my questions, as many answers are more subjective and depend on many factors. I wondered how some Stores categorize the Grail into like Top Grail, Mega Grail, and others. This is more like the value than another thing I guess.

Also, I left another question, If I have a Wanted Product (just an Idea) It also be called a Grail? This is because is one item I want to be in my collection. Or If It is a New announcement, leaked, or something like that, algo wins the Grail category?
For Example, the new One Piece Luffy Gear 5 is a wanted/desired item in my collection, a personal Grail as soon as I saw the episode last year. This week was officially announced and the glad shots were released. The label Grail was right given before and now?

Yeah, the moment Gear 5 Luffy was announce. Thought the same (manga reader and anime watcher). One of the most amazing moments to come!

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:09 am

DiegoLo wrote:This was also one of my questions, as many answers are more subjective and depend on many factors. I wondered how some Stores categorize the Grail into like Top Grail, Mega Grail, and others. This is more like the value than another thing I guess.

Everything is grail.

I think categorizing pops as grails, mega grails, and top grails is meant for two types of collector: those who collect only for value and those that don't know what they're doing so they'll value the most important sounding name. Might as well call all new releases 'pre-grails', 'gonna be grails', or 'give me 30 bucks for this piece that costs 15 dollars today grails'.

I'm pretty sure my collection has a couple of Mega Top Grail Supremes, but I just call them 'mine'.
Funklub: 11181

zaghawk
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby zaghawk » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:27 pm

When you think about the word "grail" referencing the holy grail...it was something of historical importance and difficult to find because everyone knew of it, but not exactly where it was...So finding/obtaining it required a quest/journey/research/patience/resources.

I think too many people associate "grail" with just something they cannot afford/refuse to pay for. That's not a grail, that's a top wishlist item that is not deemed a high enough need for you to pay the market price for. I am sorry if a POP costs $50 or $50000 but it is readily available on eBay or open market at all times and you could buy that with less than a half your year's income. Than it's not a grail. You just can't afford it or once again unwilling to sacrifice enough to possess it.

I'll give a perfect grail example that was MY grail maybe 6-7 years ago. It was a Seahawks retro freddy made by Funko that was distributed out to a small handful of people. Everyone who had it in their possession that was known it was not leaving their hands and the remaining like 16 pieces had completely unknown whereabouts. I had to constantly let people know I was after this thing, hunting around, asking around, and eventually it made it's way to me and it was a price that wasn't even in the mid pack of a lot of my Funko items. The quest to find it one available to me was harder than the money aspect.

So that is my definition of grail, it's not about money, it's about something you got to find. I'd say for Pop certain 1/12 Freddies and Clamshell pieces would fall in that category. They are not readily available for sale, you have to find where they are hiding (what's left of them) things of that nature. Some protos like I.Am.Ironman that no one really knows where it is (except for who has hidden it), and some life sized pops...also fall into that category of true grail. it's not the cash it's finding it available to you.
Gavin

FunKlub # 14297

zaghawk
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby zaghawk » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:38 pm

grail
/ɡrāl/
noun
noun: Grail; noun: the Grail; noun: holy grail; noun: grail; plural noun: grails
(in medieval legend) the cup or platter used by Jesus at the Last Supper, and in which Joseph of Arimathea received Christ's blood at the Cross. Quests for it undertaken by medieval knights are described in versions of the Arthurian legends written from the early 13th century onward.
a thing that is eagerly pursued or sought after.
"a cure for the common cold is the medical holy grail"
a thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after.

- If we are also going after one's PERSONAL grail...i.e. you could afford the item by eating Top Ramen for the next 1-3 months, selling half your collection and/or pausing all other unnecessary purchases for 3-6 months. It's not a grail. Because if you're not willing to sacrifice those things, you're not eagerly/earnestly pursuing it or seeking after it.
Last edited by zaghawk on Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin

FunKlub # 14297

LoneWolf72

Postby LoneWolf72 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:36 pm

Scotty wrote:A grail is any piece that you absolutely must have (or, at least, really really wish you could have) and isn't easily available because of its rarity or cost.

This is the perfect answer, well said.
I'm Chad AKA Mr. StarWarner.
Image Image
Collecting since 2013
Fundays: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Virtual Con (2020), and Funkon (2021)
Funko Panel, Bingo Night (SDCC)
Funko Panel, Hall H (SDCC)
Fright Night San Diego
Funko HQ Grand Opening
FDO: Los Angeles (×2), Sacramento, and Baltimore (×2)
Fun on the Run, San Diego

LucyAnn

Postby LucyAnn » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:00 am

A Grail is a pop that you value or have been trying find for a long time - My grails are from events I have attended and I have memories with my Dad

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:21 am

Although most people have certain biases and preferences on their ultimate grail. The price is what really sets the status for most people. Whether it be because of a signature or LE count, numbers talk haha
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

:whdat:

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:54 pm

sxrgio115 wrote:Although most people have certain biases and preferences on their ultimate grail. The price is what really sets the status for most people. Whether it be because of a signature or LE count, numbers talk haha

Yea. I just think there should be a difference in value and price. For a community agreement for grail price is an aspect. But when looking personally value is the key.

TonyMa

Postby TonyMa » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:40 pm

Could be value, rarity, or a story behind it

DaturaDynamo

Postby DaturaDynamo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:13 am

The definition of a grail is different from person to person. It could either be a really expensive pop or just a pop that's been on your want list since forever, it's very subjective though and it's up to what you think is a grail :bounce:
ImageImage
Just gotta love the old funko rock pops, what can I say? I'm a pretty silly dude :clown:

IG: DaturaDynamo

Return to “Pop!”