Funko over produced?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Trendkill24hr

Re: Funko over produced?

Postby Trendkill24hr » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:08 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:Seeing more limited pops besides NFTs and Freddie’s would be nice, but personally just want to see some new licenses.

I’m happy for the One Piece collectors, but man Funko, let the license breathe a little and give us some other lines. lol

One Piece be selling like hotcakes lol
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Call me C.J. :)
Events: Fundays 2022 & 2023, Fright Night 2022, FDO9
Collection: 372 pieces as of 03/25/24
ISO Proto: Paka Paka Dragon

bryan_sato54

Postby bryan_sato54 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:09 am

Trendkill24hr wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:Seeing more limited pops besides NFTs and Freddie’s would be nice, but personally just want to see some new licenses.

I’m happy for the One Piece collectors, but man Funko, let the license breathe a little and give us some other lines. lol

One piece and Pokemon is still going strong.
Hi Im Bryan & Im Pop Collector & Back to the Future Collector as well. \:D/

INSTAGRAM : BRTS054

Swatrob

Postby Swatrob » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:49 am

I like have some limited stuff but I’ve always thought the more the merrier. It’s about collecting what you enjoy.
Walking Dead Super Fan, collector of random sets, Harry Potter, Star Wars, horror, Disney, and a few other here and there. Funko Funclub member. Have luckily attended Fundays, collecting since early 2000’s.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:27 am

Swatrob wrote:I like have some limited stuff but I’ve always thought the more the merrier. It’s about collecting what you enjoy.

Exactly, collect the lines you truly enjoy!

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:07 pm

rexflexall wrote:
Swatrob wrote:I like have some limited stuff but I’ve always thought the more the merrier. It’s about collecting what you enjoy.

I agree. Ultimately its about what makes you feel happy in your means.

evanaki424

Postby evanaki424 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:55 pm

noahhrs wrote:
evanaki424 wrote:
hpellot wrote:

True and lorcana still keeps pumping them out

I am torn on whether I like the limited-ness and then cry when I miss out on things or whether I like being able to get things easily and then cry over the lack of rarity in my collection

Both, definitely both lol

But then I am always crying.... lol

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:35 pm

There’s definitely been changes, some good some bad, but I’m happy that the collecting aspect hasn’t changed. We get what we like and there’s others who are competing with us for the same items haha
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

:whdat:

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:42 pm

sxrgio115 wrote:There’s definitely been changes, some good some bad, but I’m happy that the collecting aspect hasn’t changed. We get what we like and there’s others who are competing with us for the same items haha

I think the changes are overall ok but time will tell.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

xanchui

Postby xanchui » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:46 pm

I think tons of collectible brands over-produced during covid because consumers were spending. Now that spending has been dialed back, and they're all left with tons of unsold stock. Hopefully funko can course correct. More limited exclusives, smaller runs, etc.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:10 pm

xanchui wrote:I think tons of collectible brands over-produced during covid because consumers were spending. Now that spending has been dialed back, and they're all left with tons of unsold stock. Hopefully funko can course correct. More limited exclusives, smaller runs, etc.

Very true. I think the key is to remain adaptable

digithor

Postby digithor » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:20 pm

That's the way to be.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

funkomarv96

Postby funkomarv96 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:35 pm

I feel like the most over produced funko line is Harry Potter. I would see those things in every clearance section in b&n stores in multiple states!

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:27 pm

hpellot wrote:
sxrgio115 wrote:There’s definitely been changes, some good some bad, but I’m happy that the collecting aspect hasn’t changed. We get what we like and there’s others who are competing with us for the same items haha

I think the changes are overall ok but time will tell.

I absolutely agree, it’s not like I’m skilled enough to say how the future of Funko is, but I sure hope the hobby can continue because frankly I love it.
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

:whdat:

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:52 pm

funkomarv96 wrote:I feel like the most over produced funko line is Harry Potter. I would see those things in every clearance section in b&n stores in multiple states!

Most of the bigger lines IMO were over produced
Marvel
dc etc
ImageImageImage

Trendkill24hr

Postby Trendkill24hr » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:21 am

bryan_sato54 wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:

That’s for sure, Pokémon has always been a top seller
"Being a geek means never having to play it cool about how much you like something" Simon Pegg

Call me C.J. :)
Events: Fundays 2022 & 2023, Fright Night 2022, FDO9
Collection: 372 pieces as of 03/25/24
ISO Proto: Paka Paka Dragon

bryan_sato54

Postby bryan_sato54 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:07 am

Trendkill24hr wrote:
bryan_sato54 wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

Yup Yup. Still collecting and holding those bad boys for the next 15 more years.
Hi Im Bryan & Im Pop Collector & Back to the Future Collector as well. \:D/

INSTAGRAM : BRTS054

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:19 am

Trendkill24hr wrote:
bryan_sato54 wrote:
Trendkill24hr wrote:

I agree Pokemon always does well
ImageImageImage

Swatrob

Postby Swatrob » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:35 am

digithor wrote:

That's the way to be.

I agree. I have some grails but when there is that really cool figure it always nice that whoever wants it can get it.
Walking Dead Super Fan, collector of random sets, Harry Potter, Star Wars, horror, Disney, and a few other here and there. Funko Funclub member. Have luckily attended Fundays, collecting since early 2000’s.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:27 am

So many things that feed into/off of each other.

Do they produce too many of some characters/properties - absolutely.
Are we tired of repaints (retro, black light, retro redux) - yep.
Did the pandemic screw up customer demand - yes. people bought a lot of older pops on the second-hand market. Gave the impression that collector interest was super-high. When the supply chain sorted itself out, demand for the products in the pipeline had dried up.
Did the rise in inflation coming out of the pandemic affect demand? yes. Fun spending got cut and the stimmy checks quit coming.
Did a string of bad business decisions affect demand? yes, people started jumping off the bandwagon, especially flippers.
Did the departure of flippers affect demand? It affects percieved demand, but still a yes. So much easier to find chases on the shelves
Does the rapid release of overstocks to discounters affect demand? - If affects perceived value which drives some collectors away if they can't flip or make money later.
Does the lackluster movie/television product affect demand? Absolutely. Who wants Eternal Pops and their variants, or Captain Marvel pops? If we don't care about the show, we don't care about the toys.

Most of these are fixable - cut back on mutliple variations and repaints. Get the warehouse working like it should. Change the company management. Some, like the quality of the license is in the hands of the studios and they can't do thatIf you better manage the supply chain and gauge popularity, fewer pops end up at Ollies and 5-Below.
Funklub: 11181

Kwik_One

Postby Kwik_One » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:50 pm

hpellot wrote:
Relinquish wrote:the problem is if they produce more low LE things you get like the few thousand diehard fans stoked but the 100k+ casual fans upset.. it's tough. I don't envy them. I think they have to be creative and smart with it. I think they should scale down and try to manage their brand image more which maybe is what the project fred is for. resellers also helped but kind of killed the market in a way too many resellers just created artificial demand which led to mass scaling that wasn't really needed. maybe they'll go private in the future and scale down. or if they diversify and keep things like project fred as their super limited designer thing and pops stay mass produced idk.

I think it would be great if it went private again but I do not think it will happen

This would require Funko to buy back their outstanding shares. It would most likely cost them a lot more than they would want to spend. It would be a time consuming and expensive process.

kidleaderkty

Postby kidleaderkty » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 pm

Kwik_One wrote:
hpellot wrote:
Relinquish wrote:the problem is if they produce more low LE things you get like the few thousand diehard fans stoked but the 100k+ casual fans upset.. it's tough. I don't envy them. I think they have to be creative and smart with it. I think they should scale down and try to manage their brand image more which maybe is what the project fred is for. resellers also helped but kind of killed the market in a way too many resellers just created artificial demand which led to mass scaling that wasn't really needed. maybe they'll go private in the future and scale down. or if they diversify and keep things like project fred as their super limited designer thing and pops stay mass produced idk.

I think it would be great if it went private again but I do not think it will happen

This would require Funko to buy back their outstanding shares. It would most likely cost them a lot more than they would want to spend. It would be a time consuming and expensive process.

Very time consuming, making it even more expensive.
SDCC 2024, first time attending!

Next on my list is to attend Fundays!

Anime fanatic

Relinquish

Postby Relinquish » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:37 pm

they'll probably just have to go bankrupt first/dissolve and then have some of the core members start it back up or rebuy the rights to the brand/name

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 am

Relinquish wrote:they'll probably just have to go bankrupt first/dissolve and then have some of the core members start it back up or rebuy the rights to the brand/name

I dont know if that works
ImageImageImage

Kwik_One

Postby Kwik_One » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:56 pm

hpellot wrote:
Relinquish wrote:they'll probably just have to go bankrupt first/dissolve and then have some of the core members start it back up or rebuy the rights to the brand/name

It could work but the company would need to satisfy all of their obligations before coming out of bankruptcy. And, if a company could do that then they wouldn’t go into bankruptcy in the first place. That or they would need to get new investors to generate more liquidity, and that is also unlikely.

It’s a very difficult juggling act.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:41 pm

Kwik_One wrote:
hpellot wrote:

It could work but the company would need to satisfy all of their obligations before coming out of bankruptcy. And, if a company could do that then they wouldn’t go into bankruptcy in the first place. That or they would need to get new investors to generate more liquidity, and that is also unlikely.

It’s a very difficult juggling act.

This is all true, only time will tell.
ImageImageImage

noahhrs

Postby noahhrs » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 am

evanaki424 wrote:
noahhrs wrote:
evanaki424 wrote:I am torn on whether I like the limited-ness and then cry when I miss out on things or whether I like being able to get things easily and then cry over the lack of rarity in my collection

Me right now not getting Freddy and Franny from C2E2 lol
SDCC 23
Camp Fundays 23

Soon: SDCC 24

fairytail081202

Postby fairytail081202 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

Funko heard us. They will make everything super limited now =))

fairytail081202

Postby fairytail081202 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

Funko heard us. They will make everything super limited now =))

Chuckles00012

Postby Chuckles00012 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm

zonkttc wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

I agree. Ultimately its about what makes you feel happy in your means.

This line is so true. Collecting should be fun. My collection isn't huge but every piece in my collection is special to me because I truly love it. Collect what you love.

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 pm

fairytail081202 wrote:Funko heard us. They will make everything super limited now =))

I hope so! I prefer the days when everything was a chase or grail.

nostaljay

Postby nostaljay » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 pm

There is just too many, even back in the days of old funko there was a lot of shelfsitters. Its just in a bigger scale now, with so many IP's they can take and make pops for
ImageImage
#TEAMPROTOROBOS #TEAMFUNAMUCK BEARS

evanaki424

Postby evanaki424 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:01 am

noahhrs wrote:
evanaki424 wrote:
noahhrs wrote:

Me right now not getting Freddy and Franny from C2E2 lol

Me too unfortunately.