Funko over produced?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Greek187

Funko over produced?

Postby Greek187 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:25 pm

Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

zonkttc

Re: Funko over produced?

Postby zonkttc » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:02 pm

I think in some subjects yes but I answer that its because if the demand. I mean why else are they make more variations of the same characters.

PopLoot

Postby PopLoot » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:24 pm

Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

xbloz951

Postby xbloz951 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:01 pm

They try to sell to the masses and make everything buyable! Hoping they limit exclusive pops.

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:50 am

PopLoot wrote:Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

That always surprises me too; aren't reprinting some as well?
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:06 pm

plumb102 wrote:
PopLoot wrote:Definitely some products more than others. What surprises me is Vaulted pops making there way back into the market. I guess it is good for new collectors that may have missed the initial release.

That always surprises me too; aren't reprinting some as well?

I see the good but I can understand why the vaulted stay vaulted.

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:17 pm

I am okay when a new variant comes out for the same pop, however, it makes me sad when they unvault things. I work so hard to add those into my collection and now I regret doing it.

edsteez

Postby edsteez » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:18 pm

That’s why I’ve slimmed my collection. Very picky now many things come out. Can’t grab em all

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:45 pm

Lots of great discussion on this topic in various social media platforms over the past few days.

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:47 am

Anhtrung05 wrote:I am okay when a new variant comes out for the same pop, however, it makes me sad when they unvault things. I work so hard to add those into my collection and now I regret doing it.

I do think its odd when they reproduce.. then it becomes a challenge on old/new/or fake :-k
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

Caroborri

Postby Caroborri » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:19 am

Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

It’s a lot different than it was 10 years ago. More people involved than ever so mass production comes into play, I think a problem was during COVID things were so highly produced for the demand to drop then go up again that it’s hard to stay in touch with what the people want.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:32 am

Of course when a company gets bigger they gonna reuse molds to try to get the most out of em, happens to all big toy companies!

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:17 pm

Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

I dont mind if they make multiple of the same character personally, its the variants that get me. I don't want 3 of the same thing w/different variants personally
Anime/Pokemon Collector

Anhtrung05

Postby Anhtrung05 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:46 pm

plumb102 wrote:
Anhtrung05 wrote:I am okay when a new variant comes out for the same pop, however, it makes me sad when they unvault things. I work so hard to add those into my collection and now I regret doing it.

I do think its odd when they reproduce.. then it becomes a challenge on old/new/or fake :-k

I agree with you, but I always try to cross reference and do my research before buying an old piece. I am lucky I haven’t encountered any fakes (Not that I know of lol).

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:13 pm

Anhtrung05 wrote:
plumb102 wrote:

I agree with you, but I always try to cross reference and do my research before buying an old piece. I am lucky I haven’t encountered any fakes (Not that I know of lol).

I am ok unvaulting stuff as long there is a distinct changes from the initial one example is the flocked chopper funimation exclusive
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:29 pm

At some point I always research improvements on catching old versus reproductions. Best advice i can give.

Dave17251

Postby Dave17251 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:33 pm

I'm feeling the same. Even the hunt isn't the same when I can just pick any retailer exclusive on their site half of the time. Hopefully they stay true to their plan to overhaul their flow. Variants of the same pop have always been a thing and will never go away but its how they distribute it. I don't see anyone complaining about how ugly Planet Arlia Vegeta and it has a common and metallic variant in regular colors. That pop will always be desired due to how rare it is. I just wish Funko still made limited pops for those who want it. When was the last time we had a good numbered exclusive on the funko shop

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:48 pm

Dave17251 wrote:

I'm feeling the same. Even the hunt isn't the same when I can just pick any retailer exclusive on their site half of the time. Hopefully they stay true to their plan to overhaul their flow. Variants of the same pop have always been a thing and will never go away but its how they distribute it. I don't see anyone complaining about how ugly Planet Arlia Vegeta and it has a common and metallic variant in regular colors. That pop will always be desired due to how rare it is. I just wish Funko still made limited pops for those who want it. When was the last time we had a good numbered exclusive on the funko shop

I think the issue IMO is that when a company tries to make everyone happy, no one is happy. If things get limited and hard to get, funko gets the rage of others stating that they are feeding the resellers. If they make things available and not so limited, the same rage against funko comes out stating that things are not limited and have little to no value. So what is there to do from a company standpoint? Be like other companies and just make products that are attainable by all?? I honestly just wish that convention pops were only available at conventions. I am not a fan of making all pops except a few con exclusives. It costs a lot of money to attend a convention and it would be amazing if all pops were made for con attendees only. But like I said that would make me happy but anger others, so if Funko is trying to make everyone happy, no one is going to be happy. It's a tough place to be in.
Image Image

Dave17251

Postby Dave17251 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:02 pm

BestDadEver wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:

I think the issue IMO is that when a company tries to make everyone happy, no one is happy. If things get limited and hard to get, funko gets the rage of others stating that they are feeding the resellers. If they make things available and not so limited, the same rage against funko comes out stating that things are not limited and have little to no value. So what is there to do from a company standpoint? Be like other companies and just make products that are attainable by all?? I honestly just wish that convention pops were only available at conventions. I am not a fan of making all pops except a few con exclusives. It costs a lot of money to attend a convention and it would be amazing if all pops were made for con attendees only. But like I said that would make me happy but anger others, so if Funko is trying to make everyone happy, no one is going to be happy. It's a tough place to be in.

I agree with it being hard to please both sides. Personally I feel they should still cater more to the collector side and keep them more limited. Especially convention ones or event exclusive. Otherwise, why have them labeled as a collectible or exclusive?

jigsaw

Postby jigsaw » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:53 pm

this has been the situation for a while now. I understand the need for variation but once you start changing the color of the pop to match every color of the rainbow i feel thats a bit too far imo
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO UNGRATEFUL TO BE ALIVE.... BUT NOT YOU.... NOT ANYMORE.
ImageImage

IG: @Jigsaws_movie_room

Image ImageImage
ImageImage

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:04 am

Dave17251 wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:

I agree with it being hard to please both sides. Personally I feel they should still cater more to the collector side and keep them more limited. Especially convention ones or event exclusive. Otherwise, why have them labeled as a collectible or exclusive?

I also agree with the double-edged sword unfortunately.. it's very hard to please the collectors, the fans, and the fan-based collectors (those categories might all be the same or completely different per person too) :-k ](*,)

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:36 am

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:37 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:Here's your answer lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/funkopop/comme ... destroyed/

LOL I was thinking about that yesterday!

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:00 am

If you have TENS OF MILLIONS of dollars in product that hasn't sold for whatever reason, perhaps that's problematic. I stopped selling new Funko products largely because it was difficult to keep up with so many releases & because they're literally everywhere from Macy's to 7-11 lol

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:56 am

brooklyn_geek wrote:Here's your answer lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/funkopop/comme ... destroyed/

oh danggg
Anime/Pokemon Collector

Dave17251

Postby Dave17251 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:36 pm

I wonder if most people can hang onto Funko making their changes. Will it be too late or thinking they can recover?

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:21 pm

Dave17251 wrote:I wonder if most people can hang onto Funko making their changes. Will it be too late or thinking they can recover?

I'll hang to my Funko because I like them, value is just a bonus for me.
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Dave17251

Postby Dave17251 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:44 pm

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:I wonder if most people can hang onto Funko making their changes. Will it be too late or thinking they can recover?

I'll hang to my Funko because I like them, value is just a bonus for me.

I've definitely cut out some but I still have all my pops. They're not going anywhere!

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:02 pm

I think there is smart limitations that can be made.

kmandude92

Postby kmandude92 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:11 am

I'm cool with having enough for everyone but at this point, I usually just wait for anything that's not exclusive to go on sale
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

FunkoholicsAnonymous

Postby FunkoholicsAnonymous » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:20 am

They need to start making stuff limited again, bring back the hype again of having low limit pops, they’ll be harder to get and 2nd market resell value will rise but we need people to get interested and excited for pops again. Then they can start to raise the LE’s again but not too high.
:freddy2:
Hi, my name is Erl
TUFF crew
IG’s:
@funkoholics_anonymous
@operationpop (charity work)

SDCC Funko Pop Up Shop 2017
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2022
Fright Night 2022
Mask-O-Raid 2022
Fundays 2023

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:12 am

I do like the idea of more exclusive but I'm hesitant on limited editions without a space like a convention. These limited editions on commons are in demand imo.

g3ohss

Postby g3ohss » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:39 pm

I miss the really limited pieces tbh. Yes I wouldn’t be able to get them all but it was a thrill hunting or even trying online. Bring back the 1/36 or the LE 200-1500
Hi I’m Geo :) IG: @g3ohss
ImageImageImageImage

LAX_Men4ever

Postby LAX_Men4ever » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:55 pm

Funko needs to make different most like characters than same popular character doing different pose

LakerSpartan117

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:03 pm

So I wanted to put in my 2cents on the subject. Yes I think Funko has "overproduced" and it's not just about a specific Pop/memorabilia, but it's also about about reducing the number of limited edition Pops/memorabilia in general. We've all seen the videos of garbage dumps and landfills being filled with Funko's overproduced lines that are not selling. It's insane!

How did this happen? A lot of it can be traced back to management. The desire to reach new audiences with new product lines that extended beyond Pops. But it can also stem from the desire to make "everyone happy". I know I was there when their Funko-Shop website was being botted to hell when 12 Days of Christmas drops were occurring or Con drops.

I think at the end of the day, since you can't make everyone happy, Funko should return to their roots. Make a bunch of Pops LE 480 and such and make different variants to help induce trading. Flippers and scalpers are always going to be apart of it, and there's no way to stop them because overproducing not only can make them disinterested but kill their business.

Hopefully this new year brings a new approach that makes collectors happy. Slowing production and renewing the "vaulting" process is a start. No matter what happens, I'm still collecting Pops lol
ImageImageImageImageImage

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:09 pm

g3ohss wrote:I miss the really limited pieces tbh. Yes I wouldn’t be able to get them all but it was a thrill hunting or even trying online. Bring back the 1/36 or the LE 200-1500

Definitely a thrill on the numbered items

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:17 pm

zonkttc wrote:I think in some subjects yes but I answer that its because if the demand. I mean why else are they make more variations of the same characters.

Because Disney tells them to, there is no demand for some of the characters they’re told to make they just follow what the licensors tell them and it is killing then as a company.

Funnybob

Postby Funnybob » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:25 am

its like any business based on entertainment (movies, tv shows, toys etc), franchises matter and they gotta stick to whats safe and what they think will sell.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:38 am

Funnybob wrote:its like any business based on entertainment (movies, tv shows, toys etc), franchises matter and they gotta stick to whats safe and what they think will sell.

:freddy2: agree. I say if there's a demand there's a store. That's wh at I hopes. Because of demand there is also some higher with quality of the product. :bounce: :compress:

Edwynstoys

Postby Edwynstoys » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:51 am

jigsaw wrote:

this has been the situation for a while now. I understand the need for variation but once you start changing the color of the pop to match every color of the rainbow i feel thats a bit too far imo

This is my sentiment. Some of the variations are worthy but there are many where it feels just like a money grab. Atleast put some effort into the piece and people will love it

Return to “Pop!”