Funko over produced?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Pogiboy67

Re: Funko over produced?

Postby Pogiboy67 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:58 am

yeah hoping to more original products for 2024. cheers!
:freddy2: POGIBOY67

ImageImageImage

fairytail081202

Postby fairytail081202 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:43 am

Looks like it. Reproducing the limited pops in slightly different molds is kindda questioning.

Kwik_One

Postby Kwik_One » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:47 pm

Dave17251 wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:
I'm feeling the same. Even the hunt isn't the same when I can just pick any retailer exclusive on their site half of the time. Hopefully they stay true to their plan to overhaul their flow. Variants of the same pop have always been a thing and will never go away but its how they distribute it. I don't see anyone complaining about how ugly Planet Arlia Vegeta and it has a common and metallic variant in regular colors. That pop will always be desired due to how rare it is. I just wish Funko still made limited pops for those who want it. When was the last time we had a good numbered exclusive on the funko shop

I think the issue IMO is that when a company tries to make everyone happy, no one is happy. If things get limited and hard to get, funko gets the rage of others stating that they are feeding the resellers. If they make things available and not so limited, the same rage against funko comes out stating that things are not limited and have little to no value. So what is there to do from a company standpoint? Be like other companies and just make products that are attainable by all?? I honestly just wish that convention pops were only available at conventions. I am not a fan of making all pops except a few con exclusives. It costs a lot of money to attend a convention and it would be amazing if all pops were made for con attendees only. But like I said that would make me happy but anger others, so if Funko is trying to make everyone happy, no one is going to be happy. It's a tough place to be in.

I agree with it being hard to please both sides. Personally I feel they should still cater more to the collector side and keep them more limited. Especially convention ones or event exclusive. Otherwise, why have them labeled as a collectible or exclusive?

Funko does a lot to please the collectors, however, they are a public company and there are expectations on their financial performance. They are accountable to their shareholders. It is extremely hard to limit production of items and still achieve financial success as a larger company.

chaostryder

Postby chaostryder » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:29 pm

Alanamaslama wrote:
chaostryder wrote:My convention exclusive Dabi compared to the new common Dabi that looks the same hurts my soul a bit haha

I sold my Dabi last year. I figured Funko would eventually make a new mold and variant, but I didn’t figure it would be that similar to the con exclusive. SDCC Bakugo vs HT Bakugo is still probably one of the worst perpetrators of this though. The HT one is exactly the same, they just faced one arm forward.

Yea I definitely should have seen that coming as well haha
:freddy2:

Current ISO: Toucan Sam!

Past Events:
- Funko Fundays 2017, Funko HQ Grand Opening, Funko Fundays 2018

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:39 pm

Kwik_One wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:I think the issue IMO is that when a company tries to make everyone happy, no one is happy. If things get limited and hard to get, funko gets the rage of others stating that they are feeding the resellers. If they make things available and not so limited, the same rage against funko comes out stating that things are not limited and have little to no value. So what is there to do from a company standpoint? Be like other companies and just make products that are attainable by all?? I honestly just wish that convention pops were only available at conventions. I am not a fan of making all pops except a few con exclusives. It costs a lot of money to attend a convention and it would be amazing if all pops were made for con attendees only. But like I said that would make me happy but anger others, so if Funko is trying to make everyone happy, no one is going to be happy. It's a tough place to be in.

I agree with it being hard to please both sides. Personally I feel they should still cater more to the collector side and keep them more limited. Especially convention ones or event exclusive. Otherwise, why have them labeled as a collectible or exclusive?

Funko does a lot to please the collectors, however, they are a public company and there are expectations on their financial performance. They are accountable to their shareholders. It is extremely hard to limit production of items and still achieve financial success as a larger company.

I agree completely. I just find that there are usually high or unreasonable expectations. That's not fair.

Dave17251

Postby Dave17251 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:00 pm

Kwik_One wrote:
Dave17251 wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:I think the issue IMO is that when a company tries to make everyone happy, no one is happy. If things get limited and hard to get, funko gets the rage of others stating that they are feeding the resellers. If they make things available and not so limited, the same rage against funko comes out stating that things are not limited and have little to no value. So what is there to do from a company standpoint? Be like other companies and just make products that are attainable by all?? I honestly just wish that convention pops were only available at conventions. I am not a fan of making all pops except a few con exclusives. It costs a lot of money to attend a convention and it would be amazing if all pops were made for con attendees only. But like I said that would make me happy but anger others, so if Funko is trying to make everyone happy, no one is going to be happy. It's a tough place to be in.

Yeah, once it was known they would go public, it was felt that some parts were going to change like this. I understand from that point of view, I just wish we had our more limited items here and there.

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:30 am

As many people state, it’s a blessing and curse that they’ve extended their influence across dozens of series and lines at a time. The only issue is that if you’re not picky, you’re going broke! lol
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

:whdat:

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:54 am

sxrgio115 wrote:As many people state, it’s a blessing and curse that they’ve extended their influence across dozens of series and lines at a time. The only issue is that if you’re not picky, you’re going broke! lol

I started to be picky ! Very very picky .
Just pick up 18” mega Mickey
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:51 am

Greek187 wrote:
sxrgio115 wrote:As many people state, it’s a blessing and curse that they’ve extended their influence across dozens of series and lines at a time. The only issue is that if you’re not picky, you’re going broke! lol

So your just picking up 18" now? That is how picky you are?
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:24 am

There is a balance with limited items that I think Funko tries to achieve. Make it too limited and people get upset and you don't make any money yourselves from second hand market. Make it too accessible and you get headlines about dumping unsold product in landfills. I do think it can be frustrating if the only way to get a character is a low LE con exclusive (looking at you Qui-Gon Jinn) but I can also see where even if they have a con sticker, it's not as exciting if you can just get them on clearance a couple of months later (like the Shippo that was marked down to $7 and buy one get two free at Hot Topic).
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:31 am

I believe in certain lines it is a bit over produced but over all I find that with time they got the hang with supply and demand.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:23 am

zonkttc wrote:I believe in certain lines it is a bit over produced but over all I find that with time they got the hang with supply and demand.

YUP pretty sure Funko is here for the long haul!

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:45 am

rexflexall wrote:
zonkttc wrote:I believe in certain lines it is a bit over produced but over all I find that with time they got the hang with supply and demand.

Let's just hope this is the year for more horror movie pops. Been my wish for a bit.

noahhrs

Postby noahhrs » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:56 pm

Yeah, I think they should really cut back. Seems like most collectors aren’t into this extreme over saturation they’ve been doing over the last few years.
SDCC 23
Camp Fundays 23

Soon: SDCC 24

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:02 pm

noahhrs wrote:Yeah, I think they should really cut back. Seems like most collectors aren’t into this extreme over saturation they’ve been doing over the last few years.

That's their promise let's see what happens
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022

noahhrs

Postby noahhrs » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:55 pm

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
noahhrs wrote:Yeah, I think they should really cut back. Seems like most collectors aren’t into this extreme over saturation they’ve been doing over the last few years.

That's their promise let's see what happens

I feel like they’ve said things before that haven’t ended up happening so I’m not gonna hold my breath lol
SDCC 23
Camp Fundays 23

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 pm

Greek187 wrote:

The amount of space you’d need for that behemoth haha
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:58 pm

Target con knuckles 2022 is reprinted for target con 2024 .. yeah Funko is doing the limited collectible correct .. this is why we lost collectors and stale content is not good moving forward
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:48 pm

True but maybe thing will slow down
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

noahhrs

Postby noahhrs » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:31 pm

hpellot wrote:

I hope so. Value is good but I also collect to collect. I think it’s more fun when things are a bit more limited and you have to “fight” for them. And when you finally get your hands on it it’s that much better
SDCC 23
Camp Fundays 23

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:01 pm

In some ways I appreciate being able to grab a character I missed before. Two Face is the example that comes immediately to mind
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:01 pm

noahhrs wrote:
hpellot wrote:

I hope so. Value is good but I also collect to collect. I think it’s more fun when things are a bit more limited and you have to “fight” for them. And when you finally get your hands on it it’s that much better

I agree and the entire collectible industry has and needed to cut production nunber it’s not just a funko issue

Hasbro has done massive cuts as well
ImageImageImage

rsomo93

Postby rsomo93 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:11 am

When it comes to certain variants (Blacklight), lines, & molds yes Funko has definitely been overproducing quite the amount of stock. It would be in their best interest to listen to what the Funko Fandom has to say & what they like then take it from there...

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:58 am

rsomo93 wrote:When it comes to certain variants (Blacklight), lines, & molds yes Funko has definitely been overproducing quite the amount of stock. It would be in their best interest to listen to what the Funko Fandom has to say & what they like then take it from there...

They overproduced black light for sure
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022

Don't stand in my way!!!

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:43 am

zonkttc wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

Let's just hope this is the year for more horror movie pops. Been my wish for a bit.

Horror lines definitely need to be more robust!

post31

Postby post31 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:10 pm

The thing is if they make a hundred or if they make a million of the same pop it doesn’t really matter to me because I only buy one.
SDCC 1998 - current
Fundays 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Pop Rangers, Killer Crowns, Lumberjacks
FDO8 2018 LA
FDO9 2023 SD
Making Fun premier
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funkon 2021

poporazzy

Postby poporazzy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:25 pm

post31 wrote:The thing is if they make a hundred or if they make a million of the same pop it doesn’t really matter to me because I only buy one.

Wish I was like this. I’ve definitely been guilty of buying the same pop lol

KelsoTastic

Postby KelsoTastic » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:05 pm

Really hurt me too since I was collecting MHA and then stopped going after all of them.
Got more selective and stopped pre-ordering commons since a lot of them announce a glow or metallic version of the same mold.

Alanamaslama wrote:
chaostryder wrote:My convention exclusive Dabi compared to the new common Dabi that looks the same hurts my soul a bit haha

I sold my Dabi last year. I figured Funko would eventually make a new mold and variant, but I didn’t figure it would be that similar to the con exclusive. SDCC Bakugo vs HT Bakugo is still probably one of the worst perpetrators of this though. The HT one is exactly the same, they just faced one arm forward.
Funko Collector since 2014
First Pop Ygritte GOT
Favorite Pop Signed Oscar Isaac MoonKnight

Image Image

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:45 pm

rsomo93 wrote:When it comes to certain variants (Blacklight), lines, & molds yes Funko has definitely been overproducing quite the amount of stock. It would be in their best interest to listen to what the Funko Fandom has to say & what they like then take it from there...

I agree they have done blacklight to death
ImageImageImage

Fnava87

Postby Fnava87 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:42 am

Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

I hope my money is over produced one day so I can buy all these funko grails that I need :roflmao:

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:18 am

Fnava87 wrote:
Greek187 wrote:Not sure what happened to collecting ways of Funko but it seems everything is a rehash of same characters , nothing really truly limited ? It’s not complaint I collect my Funko since 2015 . But just every thing lately has been bland . Besides a few releases . I’m hope 2024 for Funko they make some good changes towards the collector !!

I hope my money is over produced one day so I can buy all these funko grails that I need :roflmao:

I couldn't agree faster.

TonyMa

Postby TonyMa » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:55 am

Agree

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:36 pm

hpellot wrote:

I agree they have done blacklight to death

We need more blacklight pocket Pops!
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:46 pm

I do agree there is a high saturation of blacklight from 2023 but I'm not gonna lie those pops just attract me

Fnava87

Postby Fnava87 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:51 pm

zonkttc wrote:
Fnava87 wrote:

I couldn't agree faster.

=D>

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:58 pm

zonkttc wrote:I do agree there is a high saturation of blacklight from 2023 but I'm not gonna lie those pops just attract me

I like them as well I just think they over did it
ImageImageImage

noahhrs

Postby noahhrs » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:59 pm

hpellot wrote:
noahhrs wrote:
hpellot wrote:

I agree and the entire collectible industry has and needed to cut production nunber it’s not just a funko issue

The Disney Lorcana cards are also a good example. Huge hype but then they ended up being everywhere and seemed super overproduced
SDCC 23
Camp Fundays 23

bbauwe01

Postby bbauwe01 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:59 pm

Things seem to be turning around w more limited pieces.

But it was inevitable that tons of pops of characters would be made. There is just no way around it. Though I wish they would spread them out a little (i.e bo Katan)

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:19 pm

bbauwe01 wrote:Things seem to be turning around w more limited pieces.

But it was inevitable that tons of pops of characters would be made. There is just no way around it. Though I wish they would spread them out a little (i.e bo Katan)

True and with the trend that later on the years a new community will be looking for these pops will only aid over production.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:25 pm

noahhrs wrote:
hpellot wrote:
noahhrs wrote:

The Disney Lorcana cards are also a good example. Huge hype but then they ended up being everywhere and seemed super overproduced

True and lorcana still keeps pumping them out
ImageImageImage

Return to “Pop!”