Blank or "Do It Yourself" Versions of POP! figs for Customs?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
FunkoPOPfanpage

Postby FunkoPOPfanpage » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

I posted this suggestion on the Official Funko page as well, would all of you that are into making custom POP! figs be interested in a version of the POP! figs that were just blank? Kind of like a "Do It Yourself" version for each of the figs you currently make. So we would get the mold of a Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc., just blank.

I have been seeing so many great customs from people and have heard that some of them are sometimes harder to paint over and such depending on the colour of the figure.

Maybe have an additional version to let those who are artistically inclined (which is not me unfortunately) to have an outlet for their creative juices and in turn help spread the Funko POP! love!

Thoughts?
My name is rotciV spelt backwards! ;o)

If you're on Facebook, come checkout the page!
https://www.facebook.com/funkopopfanpage

nikkimarie

Re: Blank or "Do It Yourself" Versions of POP! figs for Cust

Postby nikkimarie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Id love that it defintley make things easier

DocRamon

Postby DocRamon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:45 pm

i'm not a customizer, however, i do like the idea. but i don't think you'd get molds of superman and batman and other characters. if they made them, i'd bet funko would create more generic shapes, so as not to pay licensing fees for 'blank' pops intended for such a small subset of collectors.

sclarke03
Hall of Fame Class of 2015
Hall of Fame Class of 2015

Postby sclarke03 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 pm

I think that blank pop figure would only make sense for Funko to do, if they were more generic and thus easier to customize. They made blank Nodniks before, which wasn't too difficult because all the nodniks were basically the exact same shape, just with different paint jobs. The pop figures have a lot of variation in design.

I would love to get some blank Freddy heads, so I don't have to decapitate another Freddy pop to do my custom idea.
Steve

WANTED: Purple Tuxedo Freddy!!!!

batmanfunatic92

Postby batmanfunatic92 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 am

I agree for the Freddy heads. I would love to make a Freddy Batman for myself ;) well. I guess all I would have to do is swap heads, but I dont want to spend $50+ just for that...

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:33 am

Pretty sure the blanks are protos. It's easy for muggs to do this because like previously mentioned about the nod nicks they had the same shape just a different paint job. The blanks of a superman pop probably sells for $100 as a proto.
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

FunkoPOPfanpage

Postby FunkoPOPfanpage » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:30 pm

DocRamon wrote:i'm not a customizer, however, i do like the idea. but i don't think you'd get molds of superman and batman and other characters. if they made them, i'd bet funko would create more generic shapes, so as not to pay licensing fees for 'blank' pops intended for such a small subset of collectors.

Good point on the licensing fees. Didn't think of that.That could for sure limit the possibility of getting the more popular versions as blanks.
My name is rotciV spelt backwards! ;o)

If you're on Facebook, come checkout the page!
https://www.facebook.com/funkopopfanpage

Return to “Pop!”