PoP! Variants

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Sheckster
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

PoP! Variants

Postby Sheckster » Mon May 14, 2012 5:20 pm

What variants do pops have. are some bobble and non bobble? Is there a bobble version of each one? What else is there about them? I know certain have chase pieces, and factory errors, etc. But what else should a collector lok for? BTW, I just found ut the Green lantern and hal Jordan pop!s are 2 differnt things, righT? This is getting confusing.
Hi I am Mikey also known as Sheckster.
COLLECTOR OF THE MONTH JULY 2009
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 2010

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Re: PoP! Variants

Postby FunkoNewb » Mon May 14, 2012 5:22 pm

LOL, yeah, for the longest time I couldn't tell the 2 apart, but their hands are different. GL is white, Hal Jordan is green... I believe. There are metallics, 2 B&W, flocked, GITD...
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Mon May 14, 2012 5:25 pm

We had a sticky thread on figure vs bobblehead until i un-stickied it due to the enormous amount of stickys ! There are star wars bobblehead pops and some dc pops that have both.
My name is Carol, also respond to "Sho"

COTY 2009, 2010, 2012, COTD 2013

Sheckster
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Sheckster » Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 pm

What about the same version of pop being a bobble head and a non bobble head? I know lotso is like that, who else is? just saw your post sho... What DC's are?
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 2010

yellowrice
HoF 2014 & Spirit
HoF 2014 & Spirit

Postby yellowrice » Mon May 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Hopefully somebody can correct me on this if I'm wrong... I think DC pops are both bobble and non-bobble. I think I read that those that are from Target are the bobble due to some license thing.

The only other ones that I know of are the Toy Story pops. The ones from Disney has no base, while everywhere else has them with bases.
James
Suit up! For tonight is going to be Legend... wait for it...

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I think just Joker, Batman and Robin are both...yeah, forgot about the Toy Story guys.

lucky19

Postby lucky19 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I have yet to see the penguin bobble head version which some claim it exist.

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Mon May 14, 2012 5:39 pm

I haven't seen one.

iGannon87

Postby iGannon87 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Wait. Okay...

So is there a significant difference between those that bobble and those that don't? I mean, as far as value and rarity is concerned?
And what about those disney ones that come with a base or no base? Same there?

That can be a wee bit confusing.
My name is Chris!

Pops for trade:
Thor - Movie, Riddler, Penguin

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 pm

I don't think so.

iGannon87

Postby iGannon87 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:07 pm

So, personal preference.
That's cool!
My name is Chris!

Pops for trade:
Thor - Movie, Riddler, Penguin

lucky19

Postby lucky19 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:15 pm

The DC bobble head are hard to find now since target was the only ones that carried them.

jake1977jr

Postby jake1977jr » Mon May 14, 2012 6:21 pm

My Target had the DC bobbleheads a few months ago.I already had all of the non-bobblehead versions,so I didn't waste my money on buying any of them.In my opinion,none of the Pops should have ever been made into bobbleheads.That's what Wobblers & Funko Force are for.And because the Star Wars line is all bobbleheads...still no R2-D2.

batmanfunatic92

Postby batmanfunatic92 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:48 pm

There is no value difference, just rarity difference. And yeah, it could be a preference thing or some completist also might want to have both versions. That's about it. I personally like the idea of having both versions.

theincredible.HULK

Postby theincredible.HULK » Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm

I thought DC's entire 1st series was bobble? Like superman, Batman, robin, GL etc

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Yes

Choche

Postby Choche » Mon May 14, 2012 9:21 pm

I finally got a Green Lantern Funko about 2 weeks ago, and it is a vinyl figure, but recently I saw a pretty sweet deal online for three Funkos: Superman, Robin and Green Lantern, but I noticed the boxes said "Vinyl Bobble-head", so I asked the seller if their heads bobbled and he said they do, so I got very dissappointed since I was planning on buying them together with a friend and I would keep Superman, while he kept the other two.

I really hate Pop! bobble-heads. I mean, I know bobble-heads are like Funko's trademark, but was it really necessary for Pop! to have bobble-head variations? They look cheap, IMO.
I'm José Luis, a Mexican, DC and videogame Funko Pop! Collector

Instagram: Choche (May include a LOT of comic, toys and Pop! Pictures)

DocRamon

Postby DocRamon » Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 pm

i've written this in a few places now, because i'm actively trying to get all of the pops that are available as both figures and bobbleheads.

first, the DC ones. my understanding is that target stores wanted only the bobblehead pops. so some of the DC characters were made as bobbleheads to get them on target's shelves. it is NOT all DC characters, or even all of a particular series. it is 7 characters, which i think were selected by target.

- Batman
- Robin
- Batgirl
- Penguin
- Joker
- Superman
- Green Lantern

These are the characters listed on the backs of the bobblehead boxes -- no Riddler, no Wonder Woman, no Flash. think of it like a target specific subseries. and just as penguin is the hardest to find as a figure, he's also the hardest to find as a bobblehead. green lantern is an easy one to find as a figure, and he's also easy to find as a bobblehead.

the real fun is chases. target still got chase versions of these characters, so each of those 7 pops are available as: figure, bobblehead, chase figure, chase bobblehead.

next up, toy story. funko is able to sell the toy story characters as figures in disney stores ONLY. so when they're first released, in that initial six months when a series is exclusive to disney stores, the toy story pops are available as figures. when other retailers start getting them, they're sold as bobbleheads with stands (like star wars). this currently includes buzz, woody, lotso and jessie. zurg and alien (currently only figures at the disney store) will be coming to other retailers this summer, and should be released as bobbleheads at that time.

there ARE some buzz and woody figures that come with stands, but are actually figures. i suspect this was an error, because they came out early on, when disney pops first started appearing at non-disney retailers.

in terms of value/rarity... most people don't seem to care all that much. the DC bobbleheads were only available at target, and for a rather limited amount of time. so they're certainly more scarce than the figures. but since there's only 7 of them, a lot of collectors don't want to have some figures and some bobbleheads. so despite their lower numbers, the bobbleheads don't typically cost any more than their figure counterparts. but the toy story figures seem to be slightly more valuable than the bobbleheads, again, because all the other disney pops are figures. people want consistency. and since the figures, in this case, are the 'one store, limited time' version, expect to pay a little extra for the toy story figures.

but yeah, overall, it seems like a lot of people just don't care which version they have.

that said, i'm trying like hell to get both versions for the 11 characters that exist as both figure and bobblehead. (standard releases... i'll deal with those chases another time.) i'm ALMOST there... so anybody with a batman, batgirl or penguin that bobbles -- PM ME PLEASE!

Sheckster
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Sheckster » Tue May 15, 2012 6:41 am

Good info Doc! Thanks!
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 2010

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Tue May 15, 2012 11:20 am

I've never seen a penguin that bobbles... I can check locally for a Batman that bobbles next time I am out. I know my Batman bobbles.
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

Return to “Pop!”