Collecting SDCC 2012

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
UPclub

Collecting SDCC 2012

Postby UPclub » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:21 pm

So my husband and I are more or less newbies to collecting Funko Pop and we love it! Once we started we never looked back, so much so we bought 60 + all in one day! I have to be honest though, the price I see for the SDCC figures that are on sale makes me sick. I really would love to purchase a whole bunch of them like I did last time but when sellers are asking 200+ for ones that are not even a 12 count! Sigh if I got to go to SDCC I would have loved to buy as many of them as I could and sell them to avid collectors such as myself for the true price. The only people who should be making a profit should be Funko. It just seems it takes the fun out of it some days. Am I alone on this?

bbrutality03

Re: Collecting SDCC 2012

Postby bbrutality03 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Nope ,I think we all feel your pain.

Nkryger23

Postby Nkryger23 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Ditto
I'm Nayelli

POP! Count: not sure anymore

Looking for:
Any Walgreens Spider-Man line exclusives

For Trade:
Bedrock exclusive Superman Pop
Rainbow Dash Pop MLP reg/metallic Vinyl glitter
BBT Sheldon multiple shirt
More coming ....

G_O_Rilla

Postby G_O_Rilla » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:25 pm

First off welcome, second off even if you went to sdcc you may not grab items a few collectors on here went and couldnt get what they want. Just let the prices cool off and you have a chance to get things at ok prices. Some stuff like oggie sulley or loki prob wont head down in value it sucks but it happens
I'm Justin

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:30 pm

I am trying to tell myself ok so for the 96 count of the Freddy pops should come down in price, I understand the 12 count wont, so now the decision is what one of the 12 count should I get first??? I am thinking the V for Vendetta is looking mighty fine!

G_O_Rilla

Postby G_O_Rilla » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:33 pm

No one will buy the 96 count for 225 it will go down im sure
I'm Justin

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:35 pm

I've always preached patience when looking for 'hot' items.

As for people selling them, once you get them into your hot, little hands, then you can do with them as you please. I don't mind people selling them, I just wish more would sell through the auction process, which would find the 'actual' price of something rather than having an 'artificial' price set by a single seller.

And yes, I know, I know, that it takes a buyer and a seller and the price is what someone will pay for it and blah, blah, supply, blah, blah, blah, demand...

Still, in my eyes, an auction (or several) is a truer representation of what something is worth than BIN.
Funklub: 11181

Meth68

Postby Meth68 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Its pretty simple if 1000 ppl want something that there is only 12 48 96 even 480 of you will have to pay accordingly. Now factor in the collectors that have theirs already. This are now gone from the open market.

Don't forget as well, sdcc just ended a lot of people are searching for sdcc. Add that to the fact that most people shipped Thiers back to their house so more will continue to pop up as they are delivered.

There are a bunch of factors in here. Its not as simple as picking up a pop in a store with no production limit. I find it more disturbing seeing unnumbered regular pop like sulley boo mike Loki selling for $50-$120. I'd much rather have a limited sdcc piece for that price.

Anyways hope that makes sense. Sorry for the long read :)
Vinny
Mainly collecting Freddy's now. :freddy2:

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 pm

I agree with everyone here. I just roll my eyes when I see sellers asking $200+ instead of doing an auction and letting collectors decide for themselves what they want to spend. What is even more funny is my husband and I work for eBay and I will totally admit we are always checking them at work and watching for good deals to pop up! FYI I just got back and Game Stop is having a sale on them for 4.99, I was able to pick up 9 regular ones I didn't have yet. We have tried to just collect the more rare or chase ones first then worry about the others. But if anyone is needing to get some more and build their collection totally save some money and try game stop right now!

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:19 am

So what are everyones most wanted for this years SDCC?

HONSHERO
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby HONSHERO » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:35 am

Chase Freddy's!!!
COTM 4/13

Searching for Fantastik Plastik all white Protos! Please help :)

The name is Bryan, just call me "HONS"

POP&lock

Postby POP&lock » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:37 am

Its crazy. but thats what makes it so much fun, trying to score that special piece but sometimes I do feel like doing this ](*,)
Current count over 3000! I love Count Chocula! Currently trying to aquire all things count related.
Instagrams: kronic_funko_bulbasaur
:freddy1: Original Funko FunKlub #1188
Image Image

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:41 am

Those are looking awesome! I hope you can get it! I am sure hoping one day to get all the Freddy Pop. A girl can wish can't she? LOL

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:14 am

So hypothetically if someone were to buy out a certain pop to either trade for other pops or make some money off of it then that is frowned upon?
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:33 am

Trading compared to making a killing profit is different. If someone has no interest in collecting them why take them all for yourself? In my opinion I feel that is unfair. Give some of the little guys a chance.

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:51 am

soooo......

......hypothetically......

.....if you got a rare opportunity to buy some.....lets say.....Freddy Funko's at a super cheap price and you know you could trade them for stuff you want/need or sell them for quadruple what you got them......

.......you'd buy just one?

hypothetically of course......
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:43 am

Actually, what I would do is buy as many as I could so I could help other real collectors get them for the actual price and keep the scalpers from scalping them....... hypothetically of course.........

keekster

Postby keekster » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 pm

I certainly know how it feels to want a collectible item only to be thwarted by sky high prices. And I too have been annoyed by the 'scalpers' who, I thought, made it so hard for me or anybody else to obtain whatever item I was then coveting. However, I have had the opportunity myself to sell a couple of collectible items at higher-than-retail-value prices. I did so because I was able to buy the items at retail value and I needed the money. And in deciding what to price the items, I went by not what other sellers were asking but what they sold for.
In other words, I priced them according to how much collectors were willing to pay for them.
The truth, in my opinion, is that the buyers set the market. I've learned this from years of watching my family sell at yard sales and flea markets. My mother always said, "It's only worth what someone's willing to pay." If collectors are willing to spend $100 on a Gold Loki, for example, then you can hardly blame sellers for charging that much. If collectors stood firm, and refused to pay inflated prices, sellers would lower their prices accordingly. I've done that with my own non-collectible stuff (e.g. clothing) on eBay. If an item didn't sell, or was taking too long to sell, I adjusted my price.
Of course, it's easy to tell people 'don't buy' but it's very hard to resist when a hard-to-find item appears on your radar.
There's no easy solution here....

JJMITMAN

Postby JJMITMAN » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:52 pm

As for me.. anytime I decide to sell any old or new collectibles on eBay I just put a nice and easy starting bid price and let the market dictate what it goes for. I don't hoard multiple pieces, but I do sometimes sell off things that no longer fit into my unique collection or displays around the house. I think that there is a fine line between somone wanting to buy 100 Lokis and someone who buys one and see this price and decides to sell it.

That being said I have a Loki coming from Gemini and its going nowhere but into my display with the rest of my Marvel set.

Everyone that is paying the really high prices on the 480 pieces will probably regret that in the near future once the SDCC lore is over and the prices begin to fall a bit. Even with the growing community of collectors I can't see the Sulley/Boo, Loki, or any other the others being as hard to find (at a reasonable price) as they are right now. In February I was able to score Glow Mike and Flocked Sulley (Both 480s) for under $100 combined. And that was after they had taken off quite a bit. I think in the October-March time (minus X-mas) these won't be as bad to find in my opinion.

Happy collecting and everyone just take a big deep breath and wait for a few weeks to go by before you get too worried about pieces never turning up :)
Jesse.

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I agree some pieces will just sell for a high price (supply and demand), I have purchased my fair share of expensive ones, but that was the average price they were going for. I personally think Gemini shows how it done correctly. It see they sell the 480's for about 15.99 which isnt too bad, and then go up from there.

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

UPclub wrote:What is even more funny is my husband and I work for eBay and I will totally admit we are always checking them at work and watching for good deals to pop up!

I'll take a shot in the dark and again say I'm sorry that your Penguin Pop got packed wrong and was crushed some when you got it. :blush:

And then I'll say welcome to the best Funko board around and that I'm glad you found your way here.

And then I'll add that as someone who sells frequently on ebay, I most always skip BIN auctions and start my stuff at $1. I know it'll sell for whatever the market value is and even if I make less than what some of the BIN stuff sells for I don't personally feel like I've taken advantage of someone. It's a poor selling practice, but I sleep well at night (and still frequently sell things for more than the average price).
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

keekster

Postby keekster » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:17 pm

JJMITMAN wrote: I think that there is a fine line between somone wanting to buy 100 Lokis and someone who buys one and see this price and decides to sell it.

I concur with you there, and meant to add something along those lines. It is obnoxious of sellers to go out of there way to substantially corner the market. A few pieces is one thing but some people go too far...!

JJMITMAN

Postby JJMITMAN » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:22 pm

keekster wrote:
JJMITMAN wrote: I think that there is a fine line between somone wanting to buy 100 Lokis and someone who buys one and see this price and decides to sell it.

I concur with you there, and meant to add something along those lines. It is obnoxious of sellers to go out of there way to substantially corner the market. A few pieces is one thing but some people go too far...!

Thanks... by the way.. is your picture to the left of a Moth or what? Thats driving me crazy trying to figure it out lol ](*,)
Jesse.

Justicewarrior88
Location: The stars at night are big and bright, (ClapClapClapClap) Deep in the heart of Texas!

Postby Justicewarrior88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:37 pm

I can tell you this about myself... Non-Funko items, sure I'll try and get the most bang for my buck when it comes time to sell it. But if I ever decide to sell any of my Funko collection I can tell you I will be selling it here first. I have grown to know, trust, and really like most of the board members here and I would MUCH rather sell to them at a lower price than make a buck or two. Now if I offer it here and no one needs it or is interested in it then sure I'll throw it on ebay and it will probably be at a higher rate then offered to the board members. But thats just how I see it... You guys are becoming like family and I would never feel right try to make a huge profit off of any one of you. Just my $.02
-Justin-

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Postby glowfunkofreak » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Beware of the Flipper Scum !! BEWARE !! *

They come here and pose as your friend, but a true Funatic helps his fellow collector. Some of our Funatics here go to SDCC/Fundays with there family's and it is costly. So they sell extras at a reasonable price, you can see there sale threads.

Others (Flippers) go to Fundays and try to buy 16 BOF's to resell at ridiculously high prices. Not only is that a slap in the face to us here, but when you travel all the way to Fundays and they could run out of BOF's for the real attendees.

Reasonable Prices .. For Responsible Collectors !!

* this message brought to you by FATS !! (Flippers Assassination & Termination Squad)
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

Meth68

Postby Meth68 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 pm

AMEN!
Vinny
Mainly collecting Freddy's now. :freddy2:

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:11 pm

groundhog7s wrote:I'll take a shot in the dark and again say I'm sorry that your Penguin Pop got packed wrong and was crushed some when you got it. :blush:
\

It was us! And please don't feel bad! It happens to the best of us! #-o My husband and I were so happy to deal with such a nice seller! And if you ever sell more Pops in the future let us know! We would totally buy from you again! I am so happy that so many members on here have been truly excellent.

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 pm

glowfunkofreak wrote:Beware of the Flipper Scum !! BEWARE !! *

They come here and pose as your friend, but a true Funatic helps his fellow collector. Some of our Funatics here go to SDCC/Fundays with there family's and it is costly. So they sell extras at a reasonable price, you can see there sale threads.

Others (Flippers) go to Fundays and try to buy 16 BOF's to resell at ridiculously high prices. Not only is that a slap in the face to us here, but when you travel all the way to Fundays and they could run out of BOF's for the real attendees.

So so true, you hit the nail on the head.

jonness

Postby jonness » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:03 pm

I would LOVE to see a picture of those 60+ POPs!
Hi, I'm Jon.
I know there's a lot of new members here over the past few years so...
Breaking our ice with: Batman Beyond is my #1
Instagram: jonness_jcp

keekster

Postby keekster » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 pm

JJMITMAN wrote:
Thanks... by the way.. is your picture to the left of a Moth or what? Thats driving me crazy trying to figure it out lol ](*,)

Believe it or not, it is actually a tiny spider! Saw photos of these little guys online and even though I HATE spiders I couldn't help but find him cute!

Sorry I drove you crazy ;-)

UPclub

Postby UPclub » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Here is almost a current pic of my collection. Just got the Freddy Buzz in the mail today, and have 7 different others on their way :) My next step is to buy the SDCC 2012 480 count figures, then the 96 count Alas it will take some time and money...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by UPclub on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jguerin117
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby jguerin117 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm

i feel your pain it has taken the fun out of it for me.

i have the funds and have been caught up in the hype before and paid crazy amounts but i have told myself that i will no longer do that. if it means i miss out on pieces i want than im ok with that it will just lead me to collect less and less in the future.

i dont get upset though its a buisness and its not my buisness. im only one collector. just because i dont like to see pieces limited to very low numbers like 1/12 with a initial price of $250 doesnt mean that bothers other collectors. i only do what makes me happy as a collector, and even though i liked all the funday items i cant complain about the price and than pay it. so i passed this year. ive spent a hell of a lot of money on funko since ive started collecting but seeing items that i like , like the regular and B&W freddy pops and not be able to order only to see a bunch immediatly on ebay at a premimum turns me off to collecting.

to me thats the biggest difference between 1/12 and 1/96. 1/96 puts enough out there that the actual collectors fot hese items should be able to score them at a reasonable rate. if the 1/12 gets into there hands than they can hold collectors at ransom over them. but the only way to stop it is not to pay those kinds of prices for them. and that means being ok if you miss out on them.

i see a lot of complaints about flipping but as long as collectors here keep buying from them or are willing to spend $300 plus on 1 POP than they will continue to be a part of the hobby. im not saying collectors hsouldnt pay that uch if they want to its just complaining about flipping and than buying from them isnt going to stop it.

just my two cents.
Jeff

theharpiece

Postby theharpiece » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:46 pm

It bears mentioning that not all 480 pieces are created equal...
My name is Ryan....

Return to “Pop!”