Noob Question: Bobble v Non-Bobble, Stand v no Stand

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Ignohippo

Postby Ignohippo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:20 am

Please excuse my ignorance! I've been collecting Pops for about a year now and just discovered this fantastic board! I have some questions that I haven't been able to find definitive answers to:

• I started by collecting Disney Pops. I was told that they were Disney Store exclusive, but have now found them at B&N and have read here that Toys R Us may be now carrying the Toys Story ones. Were they ever DS exclusive?

• All of the Disney Pops I have are figures (not bobbles). Do bobbles exist of the Disney Pops?

• None of the Disney Pops I have included stands (and I have them from each of the first 3 series). What's the difference and why do some include stands while others don't? Most were purchased at the Disney Store, but my most recent was purchased at B&N.

• I've just begun collecting the Superhero Pops and noticed tonight that some are figures and some are bobbles. I've purchased both a regular Batman and a Batman "error" with the yellow circle at Hot Topic yet one is a figure and one is a bobble. What gives? I thought the bobble v non-bobble might be by retailer, but that obviously isn't the case. Are there bobble and non-bobble versions made for every figure?

Thanks for your help! Happy collecting!!

btw, if you haven't gotten the metallic DC Superhero set from Gemini yet, I highly recommend them. They're amazing!

wolverinert68

Re: Noob Question: Bobble v Non-Bobble, Stand v no Stand

Postby wolverinert68 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:27 am

1. Disney has a 6 month exclusive on all the disney series. So after 6 months other retailers get them
2. Only Pixar. DS had the non bobble of the Pixar. Everyone else has bobbles
3.bobbles from Pixar and starwars have stands. Haven't seen any non bobble with stands
4. Some lines bobble some don't and some have both. I know target dc bobble. B&n don't. No not all have both bobble and non. Marvel I have only seen on bobble though I could be wrong.

Welcome to the boards. 2 things there is a welcome section where you should go to formally introduce yourself and tell us a little about you
2 these questions have been asked a lot recently especially about Disney so next time I would suggest running a search and you should come across several posts that would help you.
[color=#0000FF]I'm Zac

wolverinert68

Postby wolverinert68 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:28 am

Oh and congrats on the metallics I heard they are awesome. I am still recovering from Disney series 4 and SDCC or I would have picked them up already
[color=#0000FF]I'm Zac

HobieWanKenobi
Hall of Fame Class of 2017
Hall of Fame Class of 2017

Postby HobieWanKenobi » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:34 am

I'm sure DocRamon will be by in a little while to post his definitive response to this question. Or I'll try to find the link to it...

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:32 am

Not sure if this in covered in it but there is a thread for noob FAQs that you may want to check out as well
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

POP&lock

Postby POP&lock » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Good question though.When I first started, I was very confused too.but that might be from all the drinking :drunken: Great to have you.
Current count over 3000! I love Count Chocula! Currently trying to aquire all things count related.
Instagrams: kronic_funko_bulbasaur
:freddy1: Original Funko FunKlub #1188
Image Image

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I did a search, you can find the threads searching "figure vs. bobblehead" in the pop section. Most of them are answered with a link to a previous person asking the same question. I followed the link twice to this thread.
http://www.funkofunatic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27909

Advanced search tool is your friend!
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.

DocRamon

Postby DocRamon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 pm

yes, the figure vs. bobble-head topic is my specialty!

pops are intended to be figures. almost all of them ARE figures. star wars and marvel characters are all bobble-heads due to licensing issues. hasbro has the license to make vinyl figures out of those properties (mighty muggs) so funko had to make bobble-heads for star wars and marvel. for some reason (probably also licensing related) the star wars ones come on bases, which can be removed.

only a small handful of characters are available as both figure and bobble-head.

we'll talk about disney first. the only ones that double-up are toy story characters -- woody, buzz, jessie, lotso and now the alien and zurg. when they were originally sold at the disney store, they were only made as figures. the disney store has a 6-month exclusivity period before a series can be sold at other retailers like B&N. when those other retailers get the toy story characters, they are bobble-heads with stands, that, again, can be removed.

there are a very small number of woody and buzz figures with stands, which were released during the first transition from disney store exclusive to other sellers.

since the other disney characters are figures, most collectors want the toy story ones to be figures as well. and since the figure versions were a more limited release, the prices are slightly higher for the toy story figures as opposed to the bobble-heads.

the other pops available as both figure and bobble-head are five of the DC characters: batman, robin, joker, superman, green lantern. when target started selling pops, they only wanted bobble-heads. so funko made a set of DC characters as bobble-heads for target stores. they were released a while back, then discontinued, and they're now back in target stores again.

now, those DC characters are also released as metallic chases. so in total, there are 10 pops totally unique to target stores. if you're collecting figure AND bobble-head versions of characters, in all styles... well, it's a lot of versions of these characters.

worth noting... even though the back of the target bobble-head boxes lists batgirl and penguin, those 2 were not actually released as bobble-heads.

in terms of value, it's kinda the opposite of toy story. since the other DC characters are only made as figures, most collectors want the figure versions of these 5 characters as well. but, since they're only sold at targets, the bobble-head versions are harder to find (or at least were until they started showing up in stores again). it all means that the bobble-heads -- even chase versions -- are really no more expensive than the figures.

hope that helps! let me know if you have anymore figure/bobble-head questions.

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 pm

That's just too much info... Haha

Ignohippo

Postby Ignohippo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks so much folks (especially DR)! That's really a huge help!

DocRamon

Postby DocRamon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:32 pm

FunkoNewb wrote:That's just too much info... Haha

like i said, it's my specialty! :D

couldn't tell you anything about fundays, platinum memberships, protos... but i'm all over stuff that's sold at target.

Return to “Pop!”