Any New Chases?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Mattyboy03

Any New Chases?

Postby Mattyboy03 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:38 pm

I keep pretty much seeing the same chases PoP up all the time and its just limited to DC, KISS, Ugly Dolls, Elvis's, Horror ones, does anyone know if any of the new ones that have been coming out will be in Chase form as well? And If so, I need time to keep finding the other ones first still LoL

Matt or Matt-Chew!

Instagram: Bigluciouz

Fundays 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016 - 2018
Funko Fright Night II

Latest Grails I'm Looking For:

-18" Retro Freddy Skeletor - Color Freddy He-Man & Freddy Skeletor PoP! Protos - Elvira, All Black Pop! Proto

groundhog7s

Re: Any New Chases?

Postby groundhog7s » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:52 pm

I don't think there'll be many more, although I'd expect a bloody 300 chase.
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

FunkoH

Postby FunkoH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54 pm

I'd like to see more chase figures, it makes it so much fun to continue searching and hoping to find something.
Heili aka FunkoH

JuicemanRJ

Postby JuicemanRJ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:01 pm

groundhog7s wrote:I don't think there'll be many more, although I'd expect a bloody 300 chase.

I hope they make one but then I don't. If they do and I can't manage to find it, I'll be forced to spend $ on it :(

yellowrice
HoF 2014 & Spirit
HoF 2014 & Spirit

Postby yellowrice » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:08 pm

I hope they don't make any more chases. It took awhile trying to finish the DC ones, always going on the hunt. Luckily I was able to find most of them, and traded for two of them to finish the set.
James
Suit up! For tonight is going to be Legend... wait for it...

Meth68

Postby Meth68 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Marvel chases would be nice. I hope we continue to see chases, just not to many :)
Vinny
Mainly collecting Freddy's now. :freddy2:

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 pm

Less chases, more exclusive variants for $15. That'd be easier for my wallet.
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

Silverwild

Postby Silverwild » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm

I hope they continue with chases. Pops are fun by themselves but chases just add to it :)
Earthlings call me Katie!

Wishing for;
SDCC Loki
GITD Boo Berry
Bloody Leatherface (for my sister).

DocRamon

Postby DocRamon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 pm

i think we're getting a good amount of exclusives. it's nice to have them occasionally, but i certainly wouldn't want every figure to also have a chase. the 'few and far between' method works better, i think.

singerguy04

Postby singerguy04 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm

I think I like the exclusives better too overall. I get too disappointed when I begin thinking about how I never ever seem to be able to find a Chase out in the wild. Then it's also harder to buy them online for more than retail knowing that they exist out there for retail. It would be my luck too that I would buy a Batman metallic Chase for $50 online and go out to B&N and find him sitting there on the shelf. With the exclusives you get them on your own accord, and the price is more justifiable IMO.

I would like to see some Disney Store Exclusives get made. Maybe a special edition metallic for a film that's coming out similar to some Doll editions they do. Imagine a metallic Mike and Sulley two-pack for Monster's University, or a 9" Metallic Cinderella for her Diamond Edition coming out this fall. I would die for stuff like that!
I'm Jeffrey!
IN SEARCH OF: SDCC '15 - Rapunzel w/Frying Pan, Flame Anger, Both Baymax, Regina
NYCC '15 - Blue Mater, Flocked Stitch

mindblowin02
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby mindblowin02 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Love chases.

hikanteki

Postby hikanteki » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 pm

I'd love to see more chases. It makes going to the store looking for Pops fun. :)
David here. Pleased to meet you! =)

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 pm

I actually have every Pop chase and I have no desire to see more. My OCD costs me waaaaay too much.
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

FunkoH

Postby FunkoH » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Love chases and look at them as a bonus, not a necessity. If something's really cool I may pay the.price to get them, otherwise it's just fun to try to find them...keeps it exciting.
Heili aka FunkoH

JJMITMAN

Postby JJMITMAN » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:45 am

I wish there would be more chase figures in the future. When a new wave of Pops come out that don't contain any chases I tend to just wait on them and get them when I can, however if a series comes out with chases included then I'm scouring the stores looking for one. I understand it makes things more expensive for completists, but the rush of finding a chase in the wild is amazing and I want more chances at that!
Jesse.

JuicemanRJ

Postby JuicemanRJ » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:48 am

groundhog7s wrote:I actually have every Pop chase and I have no desire to see more. My OCD costs me waaaaay too much.

That's great! But I also have OCD with it. It always bothers me not to have the chase pieces, but the money that I'd have to spend to have them is far to much :/

POP&lock

Postby POP&lock » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:28 pm

JJMITMAN wrote:I wish there would be more chase figures in the future. When a new wave of Pops come out that don't contain any chases I tend to just wait on them and get them when I can, however if a series comes out with chases included then I'm scouring the stores looking for one. I understand it makes things more expensive for completists, but the rush of finding a chase in the wild is amazing and I want more chances at that!

I agree,as long as they limit it(unlike the DC)the excitement of going to a store,digging through pops you've seen a hundred times,makes the collecting that much better \:D/ ,and that much worse ](*,)
Current count over 3000! I love Count Chocula! Currently trying to aquire all things count related.
Instagrams: kronic_funko_bulbasaur
:freddy1: Original Funko FunKlub #1188
Image Image

sophie_dee11

Any New Chases?

Postby sophie_dee11 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:34 pm

I can't express how happy I am Disney and Star Wars don't have chases haha. They're my only two "complete" sets as far as exclusives and regulars go. Only things I'm missin are the Fundays 9" Mickey's (which I'm not even attempting for haha) and the 9" metallic Buzz, Maleficent and Steamboat Willie.

I'm thinking about trying to get 9" metallic Steamboat Willie.... Buzz and Maleficent in their 9" regular forms will do for me.

hopist

Postby hopist » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 pm

FunkoNewb wrote:Less chases, more exclusive variants for $15. That'd be easier for my wallet.

Agreed.
Call me Hope! (Yes, it's my real name.)

DocRamon

Postby DocRamon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm

my only "complaint" (and i use that word very lightly) is when chases/exclusives are made that don't make sense. bloody leatherface is awesome. you'd expect to see something like that. much like we're all expecting to see a bloody leonidas. it makes sense. glow oogie boogie makes sense. we all knew it was coming. elvis with a gold jacket makes sense. sheldons with different shirts. mr. incredible in his retro suit.

but i don't understand why there's a metallic count chocula, or a metallic riddler, or a metallic winged monkey... in fact, a lot of the metallics just don't make sense. and i don't know much about uglydolls, but do they frequently glow in the dark?

now, none of this has stopped me from buying them, because in most (all?) cases they look awesome. but i certainly enjoy the "accurate" ones a lot more.

mikem
Hall of Fame Class of 2014
Hall of Fame Class of 2014

Postby mikem » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 pm

I like the chases. Love the hunt. Doesn't usually work out well but it's fun. A chase isn't necessary unless you want to be complete. I only buy chases of the ones I like or if I run into one in the wild. A cool idea would be to make an ultra chase of a given figure which is only packed in every so many cases. How fun would that be to find?

Shiggity30

Postby Shiggity30 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Great idea Mike!
Jeffery

DocRamon

Postby DocRamon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:01 pm

mattel does ultra chases with hot wheels and disney/pixar cars. my understanding is that collectors hate them. they turn the hobby on its head and bring out a whole new kind of flipper. the act of collecting gets really ugly and many collectors are turned off and driven away. ultimately, the only way that people can get a hold of them is on ebay, for prices WAY over what we see now.

HobieWanKenobi
Hall of Fame Class of 2017
Hall of Fame Class of 2017

Postby HobieWanKenobi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm

I think if they want to make chase variants, they should do a hybrid blind box kind of deal. For example...you know you're buying a Batman, but you don't know if it's a chase Batman.

That way, you could severely cut down on having to buy a ton of duplicates like other blind boxes. Also, you could prevent stores from selling chases at a premium...unless they choose to open their stock.

Does that make sense?

DocRamon

Postby DocRamon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:31 pm

doesn't cut down on buying duplicates if you want the chase version. and if they're going to blind box things, the paint apps need to get better. i usually inspect the hell out of my pops to make sure i get good paint.

i think the way they're doing it now is great.

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Blind boxes kinda suck sometimes because people will tear into the boxes before buying. This causes alot of retailers to tape up the openings to boxes meaning that the box wont be in tip top condition after the tape is removed. Or i guess you ouls leave the tape on and be annoyed with it.

DocRamon, i was just talking about the POP! Paint jobs with another member. They are hand painted arent they? Thats what sucks about buying the figs/bobbles over the net. You cant see and pick which POP! (paintjob/box condition) that you want. :(

Ignohippo

Postby Ignohippo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 am

Variants are fun. The IDEA of chase figures is great, but in my years of toy collecting, it always seems like insiders (store employees or their friends) are more than likely the only ones who have a chance of getting them.

I love the hunt for the chase, and hope Funko continues them – but very few and far between. I really like that Funko is now doing more retailer exclusive variants. That way, they're easy to get and the higher price is going to Funko or the retailer (rather than some ebay flipper).

I recently got the Gemini exclusive metallic DC set (which is amazing). It'd be great to see more whole sets of variants like that as well.

I'd like to see the tons of SDCC exclusives stop though. They're way too hard to get and even the prices through Gemini are way too high. I'd rather see them come out with 2 or 3 really, really awesome SDCC exclusives and then make the rest retailer exclusives. It's great if you're on the West Coast, but it's painful for the rest of us.

jguerin117
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby jguerin117 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:12 am

i like chase pieces but dont like the way there sold as nowadays with ebay workers at local stores go thorugh and take most of the chases to sell on ebay. thats the only reason i dont like them. because its not like collectors find them that often without going to 100 different stores or spending a ton on ebay. thats why i much prefer vendor exclusives that can be found a lot easier and not crazy ebay prices.

i actually saw employees at a disney store using a scale to weigh blind boxes to figure out which ones were the rare ones so they could buy them and sell on ebay. it happens at walmart, target, fye, barnes and noble and all the rest. it leaves a bad taste in my mouth in general to chase figures.
Jeff

TheStarDXR

Postby TheStarDXR » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:17 am

I think Chases are uber fun and make it exciting for me to collect. Like DocRamon, I often prefer the chase to the regular because of the fun addition of a furry character being flocked or a Green Lantern that actually glows, etc. But if I don't like it, I just don't buy it.

It seems silly to complain about Funko providing you an option ... can't you just not buy them? It sure would lower the prices for those of us who don't mind 'em! :D
Like the sands through the hourglass, these are the Dales of our lives. B-)
www.youtube.com/DishingOnMovies

wishingwell

Postby wishingwell » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:29 am

I like both chases and variants. What I don't care for is the way that they've been marketed...specifically with a sticker on the box letting all the world know that there's something rare or unique, i.e., valuable about the piece.

Back in the day, wobblers that were variants were sent out to retailers in the same packaging as the non-variant, and tossed on the shelf with whatever else they had. To find them, you had to know exactly what you were looking for on the wobbler itself. You had to be familiar enough with the standard piece to realize that there was something different about what you were staring at in your hand. In other words, you had to be be both a knowledgeable and astute collector.

And Funko didn't clue us in that these variants were coming. It was left to us, the collectors, to discover them in the wild. You think it's exciting stumbling upon a chase in the wild? Coming to the board and letting everyone know? Try and imagine what it was like finding something in the wild that nobody even knew existed; posting a picture and telling everyone, "Looky here at what I found!" The board would explode with activity, followed by a mass-exodus of collectors as we all bolted from our homes and tried hunting one down for ourselves.

Let me show you what I mean: Go to ebay and search for Funko Beatnik. Eschew the descriptions and just look at the pictures. "Brown hair, brown hair, brown hair...wait, this one's blonde? What's going on here?" Now imagine doing that in meat space.

That's what it was like. Someone would come to the board, "I just found a bonde-haired Beatnk!" and the place would go nuts. A little while later, somebody else would post, "I went looking...no blonde-hairs, but I did come across this..." and they'd post a picture of a red-haired Beatnik. And we'd go nuts all over again.

Sometimes, these things would go unnoticed for months. Once we had found them, then Funko would clue us in as to the details; edition size, whether this was purposeful or accidental, etc...

There were exceptions: Wobblers that were exclusive to a retailer, like Tower Records or Spencer Gifts, got a sticker, but those wobbler variants that were made just for the sake of having a variant; there was nothing. Nothing to tip off the uneducated or the opportunists. No neon signs shouting out, "Look at me! Look at me!" You had to be someone who'd invested time and energy into Funko. You had to know your sh*t.

That's been lost...that moment of discovery. Or perhaps even more importantly, the possibility of that moment of discovery.

I say, "Keep on making 'em, but get rid of those d*mn*d stickers." Let us have a little fun with this.

kmahanx

Postby kmahanx » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Are chases just variants, like metallics? I'm a bit new to all of this.

FunkoH

Postby FunkoH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:29 pm

I almost feel like the manufacturer has to police their retailers to make sure the employees aren't taking advantage of the chase situation...not sure how they could, but it's very unfair when stores take advantage. If I were a manager at Disney I would have fired the employees weighing the blind boxes, that is just immoral.
Heili aka FunkoH

Return to “Pop!”