Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
LilThor

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby LilThor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:14 pm

evanmoua wrote:Guys I hear magic marker works for getting rid of marks and scuffs but I don’t have any of that. U think acetone works or will that destroy paint? I got a mark on my eleven pop and want to fix it but it doesn’t come off with soap and water

I've used magic erasers primarily... but nail polish remover does work too just be careful cuz it strips paint

Lutzo1

Postby Lutzo1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 am

LilThor wrote:
evanmoua wrote:Guys I hear magic marker works for getting rid of marks and scuffs but I don’t have any of that. U think acetone works or will that destroy paint? I got a mark on my eleven pop and want to fix it but it doesn’t come off with soap and water

I've used magic erasers primarily... but nail polish remover does work too just be careful cuz it strips paint

Thanks for the great tips!

LilThor

Postby LilThor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:34 am

Lutzo1 wrote:
LilThor wrote:

Thanks for the great tips!

Anytime! :)

Vader92

Postby Vader92 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:46 am

i have a pop that has their head a bit turned too much. how can i fix it

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Need that DIY Mickey. Reminds me of vynlmation

alphaomega1291

Postby alphaomega1291 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:54 pm

I've always been afraid to the take pops out of their boxes. Is there a good way to take them out without damaging it?
:freddy1: Hi I'm Kevin and I collect Stranger Things, Star Wars, Marvel, & GOT Pops!

ImageImageImageImageImage

DallasSwan

Postby DallasSwan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:02 am

alphaomega1291 wrote:I've always been afraid to the take pops out of their boxes. Is there a good way to take them out without damaging it?

You need to nudge one of the corners out first from where it's catching on the flap, if you have skinny fingers, that helps a lot.
:freddy3:

Karebear101083

Postby Karebear101083 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:29 am

Thanks for posting this, sometimes there are little blemishes on pop and trying to figure out how to fix it can be stressful.

Funko-Magik

Postby Funko-Magik » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:01 am

Thanks for this, I posted a video on box repair and window removal!
Member of the Funko Funatics Philippines Group
Funko Foreigner, Living in the Philippines!
Current Pop Collection: 116
Current Pop Pez Collection: 5
Follow ME and my adventures on Instagram

racheva

Postby racheva » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Anyone else have trouble recently getting the figures that come with a clear plastic stand ON to the clear plastic stand? It’s like the holes are just not quite big enough. Super frustrating.
Star Wars/Harry Potter/Supernatural/Disney/Marvel/Golden Girls!

SDCC 2011-2018, Fundays 2016/2017/2018, NYCC 2014-2018, SWCO 2017, D23 Expo 2015/2017

Mags

Postby Mags » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:13 pm

racheva wrote:Anyone else have trouble recently getting the figures that come with a clear plastic stand ON to the clear plastic stand? It’s like the holes are just not quite big enough. Super frustrating.

My sister had this problem once, then she realized she was trying to put the figure on the stand backwards - she was trying to put the larger peg into the smaller hole lol

I usually don't have many problems with trying to get things to stay on their stands, but when I do I find sometime you just have to use a little force to get the peg into the hole. Either that or you stick something into the hole and use it to widen the hole a little.

racheva

Postby racheva » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Mags wrote:
racheva wrote:Anyone else have trouble recently getting the figures that come with a clear plastic stand ON to the clear plastic stand? It’s like the holes are just not quite big enough. Super frustrating.

My sister had this problem once, then she realized she was trying to put the figure on the stand backwards - she was trying to put the larger peg into the smaller hole lol

I usually don't have many problems with trying to get things to stay on their stands, but when I do I find sometime you just have to use a little force to get the peg into the hole. Either that or you stick something into the hole and use it to widen the hole a little.

I’m definitely putting it on the right way, they’re just not quite made right. It’s a bigger issue with certain pops I’m afraid I’ll break if I put too much pressure on the head, like nearly headless nick.

SDCC 2011-2018, Fundays 2016/2017/2018, NYCC 2014-2018, SWCO 2017, D23 Expo 2015/2017

Mags

Postby Mags » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:38 pm

racheva wrote:
Mags wrote:

I’m definitely putting it on the right way, they’re just not quite made right. It’s a bigger issue with certain pops I’m afraid I’ll break if I put too much pressure on the head, like nearly headless nick.

You try grabbing by the body and putting it on that way? Or by the legs?

racheva

Postby racheva » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Mags wrote:
racheva wrote:
Mags wrote:My sister had this problem once, then she realized she was trying to put the figure on the stand backwards - she was trying to put the larger peg into the smaller hole lol

Yup. Doesn't work. The pegs just don't fit. Kind of annoying when it's happening with the majority of pops. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

Meanwhile, this is my 1000th post! Crazy to think about it.

Mags

Postby Mags » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 pm

racheva wrote:
Mags wrote:
racheva wrote:

Yup. Doesn't work. The pegs just don't fit. Kind of annoying when it's happening with the majority of pops. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

Weird about the pops. But congrats on hitting 1000 posts! :D

DallasSwan

Postby DallasSwan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:47 pm

racheva wrote:
Mags wrote:
racheva wrote:

Maybe sand the pegs down? Or drill the holes bigger? They have very small drill bits.
Grats on the 1000th post!
:freddy3:

The1one1

Postby The1one1 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:09 pm

BlueberryWaffles wrote:My Star-Lord (masked) is looking to the left. Any way to get the head straight?

If it’s a bobble head you can use a needle nosed pliers to gently grip the base of the spring and slowly screw or unscrew to get the desired position. Works everytime.
Cliffy
IG: The1one1

Image Image
Image Image

paul3000

Postby paul3000 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Thank you! This is going to be very helpful!

DeejayDaffy

Postby DeejayDaffy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:24 pm

alphaomega1291 wrote:I've always been afraid to the take pops out of their boxes. Is there a good way to take them out without damaging it?

I always open them from the bottom. Use a credit card to to gently push out 1 of the tabs and the other side will be super easy after that.

evanmoua

Postby evanmoua » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:06 pm

just got a magic marker today!!! hope this works lol

Lobstercrossing

Postby Lobstercrossing » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:36 pm

One of the most important threads on the board.. as I'm in the middle of moving, again, I'm considering turning this into a manual lol
My real name is Noah, but you can call me... Noah.

Vader92

Postby Vader92 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:53 pm

what do you guys do when the bobblehead is a bit twisted?

Mags

Postby Mags » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Vader92 wrote:what do you guys do when the bobblehead is a bit twisted?

Small set of pilers, grab the spring, and then twist until the head is pointing the way you want it to.

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Stupid question, but how do you guys open the lid of the box without ripping it?
:SW7a:

Mags

Postby Mags » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:28 pm

FuegoGlorious wrote:Stupid question, but how do you guys open the lid of the box without ripping it?

What I usually do is either squeeze the sides in a little bit and then wiggle my finger in or I stick my finger between the back of the box and the tab on the top, push the tab in, and then lift.

OriginalDuffy

Postby OriginalDuffy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Just fixed one, thanks!

anime23

Postby anime23 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm

what type of glue do you guys use if you have a piece fall off? I saw the Museum putty suggestion for heavy pops. I recently just took several out of the box to display on risers and I have a couple of heavy ones that want to fall over. So I will try that.
Would you believe I just found the signature block? My name is Kimberly Founder of The Nerd Element we be at @thenerdelement

Image Image

anime23

Postby anime23 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:28 pm

what type of glue do you guys use if you have a piece fall off? I saw the Museum putty suggestion for heavy pops. I recently just took several out of the box to display on risers and I have a couple of heavy ones that want to fall over. So I will try that.
Would you believe I just found the signature block? My name is Kimberly Founder of The Nerd Element we be at @thenerdelement

Image Image

SHERFEY

Postby SHERFEY » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 pm

These tips are going to be a lifesaver! Time to get some supplies.
Utinni!!

jjb11590

Postby jjb11590 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Mags wrote:
FuegoGlorious wrote:Stupid question, but how do you guys open the lid of the box without ripping it?

What I usually do is either squeeze the sides in a little bit and then wiggle my finger in or I stick my finger between the back of the box and the tab on the top, push the tab in, and then lift.

WONDERFUL! I was meaning to ask the same exact question. This helps a lot!
ImageImageImageImage

OriginalDuffy

Postby OriginalDuffy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:19 pm

My poor snowman jack got his paint rubbed off ;(

evrythngzen

Postby evrythngzen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:21 am

I thought I would list this here too, just in case it's helpful. It you have any of the mini pops, like the HP advent calendar guys and you plan to keep them but want them to stand, the little plastic disks you use for bingo work great as little bases for them. Of course, I glues mine cause I am never going to sell them but I do know that ruins the value.

Funkotastic

Postby Funkotastic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 am

DeejayDaffy wrote:

I always open them from the bottom. Use a credit card to to gently push out 1 of the tabs and the other side will be super easy after that.

That is smart the credit card trick works really well
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

thejosh2010
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby thejosh2010 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Funkotastic wrote:
DeejayDaffy wrote:

That is smart the credit card trick works really well

Ive apparently been using my credit cards incorrectly lol Maybe Funko should start making box openers..no doubt people would be interested =P~
COTM 01/18
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Furnicus

Postby Furnicus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:35 pm

LilThor wrote:

Nail polish remover is super rough.. I would avoid it for the people that are a little heavy handed. I've used magic eraser, the ones for the bathrooms seem to be a little stronger for me.
#TeamIronMan

Pop Addict/Car Enthusiast/Gamer/Snowboarder

Guyswrx

Postby Guyswrx » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Is there anyone out there that knows if a company produces replacement windows for the boxes?

Guyhoff

Postby Guyhoff » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:06 pm

What is the best glue to use if you need to repair a lightsaber?? Is it going to look terrible? Ugh...
Terry
Cleveland, OH

Pop_A_Razzi

Postby Pop_A_Razzi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:04 pm

this thread is amazing !! and here i thought i was soooooo cool because i used Mr. Clean MAgic Erasers to clean my pops when they had scuffs !! my mind is blown .... thanks guys for all the helpful stuff
INSTAGRAM: @Pop.A.Razzi

imbatgirlpop

Postby imbatgirlpop » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:27 pm

MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!

My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

If my pop is missing paint, will the magic eraser work to smudge paint into the missing paint area?

Karebear101083

Postby Karebear101083 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:56 pm

OMG that a great display love it.

Return to “Pop!”