Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
The1one1

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby The1one1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Hey has anyone repaired a broken hammer on the 10" hulk? If so what glue did you use? In the past I've used quick setting Krazy glue but noticed it leave a white haze as the glue dries.
Cliffy
IG: The1one1

Image Image
Image Image

imbatgirlpop

Postby imbatgirlpop » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:26 pm

this is an awesome post, thank you!! my friend fixed my thor hulk target exclusive - his hammer fell off, my friend did a maguyver move with a chopstick to anchor it back on the hulk's hand. :) such an awesome pop!

FunkoShane

Postby FunkoShane » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Dumplingbox wrote:
FunkoShane wrote:
Dumplingbox wrote:
I would use an X-acto knife and try to get under those thin strands to try to flick or peel them away. It's hard to visualize exactly what the issue is without a photo.

Please click this link - from my Photobucket account. Should work now! They aren't like "think" strands of glue--very thinly coated. It is hard to see but you should be able to make them out. I was told a magic eraser would work and to just lightly brush the glue to loosen it. Would I wet the sponge? Or keep it dry? I think the knife idea is a clever one, but I think it is also too risky especially for an Ad Icon Pop.

[img][IMG]http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l612/ShaneJMartin/25299268_1529535433760785_836961618274998042_n_zpswwzps0ti.jpg[/img][/img]

Oh weird, now I loads for me. Hm... I think some very light buffing with a pad or a magic eraser would be the way to go. An X-acto might scratch the pop since it looks so light so I'd avoid my previous suggestion.

Ya, idk why it was acting up...I’m fairly good with technology but when it comes to forums...nothing haha

But ya, it’s so light. We did buy a magic eraser but we barely used any pressure for fear of taking paint off. Someone suggested using dawn dish soap on it?

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:42 pm

So have a kinda weird issue. Bought this GITD Behemoth back in October and he had no issue, but went to organize my collection yesterday and noticed this. It isn't food or paint so no clue what it could possibly be. I tried removing whatever it is with rubbing alcohol and just warm water but neither worked. My fiance ended up taking an exacto knife and kinda scrapping most of it away but couldn't get all of it.

Anyone have a clue what it could be or have something similar happen? We had a Xmas tree with lights nearby and thought maybe the constant exposure burnt some of the GITD coating but we have other glow Pops nearby that weren't affected and the tree wasn't even super close.

Current Pop count: 337
Current Dorbz Count: 10
Newest Pop: Toy Story Sora
Favorite Pop: Todd Ingram (Scott Pilgrim)
ISO: ECCC Vault Boy Figure

vhsu16

Postby vhsu16 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:24 pm

thanks for creating this thread...very helpful :)

funko_ryan

Postby funko_ryan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:46 pm

The1one1 wrote:Hey has anyone repaired a broken hammer on the 10" hulk? If so what glue did you use? In the past I've used quick setting Krazy glue but noticed it leave a white haze as the glue dries.

This was the very reason why I came to this thread. I just purchased one and plan on fixing it tonight. If Krazy glue leaves a white haze, I wonder if ModPodge would work? That stuff dries clear. I actually used it to fix my Hot Toys GOTG2 Star-Lord (the headphone broke on one end). It would take a lot longer for it to dry and you would have to hold it in place, but that could be an option.
:freddy2:

Pop!s 150
Dorbz 19
Ynyl: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 4
Latest Addition: Conan O'Brien as Spiderman
Prized Possession: Conan O'Brien as Spiderman

My collection: https://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/mem ... WWF43UNFW/

emcee

Postby emcee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 pm

funko_ryan wrote:
The1one1 wrote:Hey has anyone repaired a broken hammer on the 10" hulk? If so what glue did you use? In the past I've used quick setting Krazy glue but noticed it leave a white haze as the glue dries.

This was the very reason why I came to this thread. I just purchased one and plan on fixing it tonight. If Krazy glue leaves a white haze, I wonder if ModPodge would work? That stuff dries clear. I actually used it to fix my Hot Toys GOTG2 Star-Lord (the headphone broke on one end). It would take a lot longer for it to dry and you would have to hold it in place, but that could be an option.

I posted in the Hulk threads but didn't think to post here. Here's what I used and it worked great. I put a small piece of tape over the hole so the glue would spread outwards and not downwards.

https://www.target.com/p/15g-gorilla-su ... nk=sametab
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: 305

funko_ryan

Postby funko_ryan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:31 pm

emcee wrote:
funko_ryan wrote:

I posted in the Hulk threads but didn't think to post here. Here's what I used and it worked great. I put a small piece of tape over the hole so the glue would spread outwards and not downwards.

https://www.target.com/p/15g-gorilla-su ... nk=sametab

Didn't think about doing that. I ended up using a small amount of Krazy glue to get it to hold. The Gorilla glue I tried didn't have a quick set up time, and I didn't have a pencil or anything handy to hold the hammer in place. I tried ModPodge as well, but the same issue arose. I think if you used a pencil to connect the two, with ModPodge (so it dries clear) would be the best scenario.
:freddy2:

Pop!s 150
Dorbz 19
Ynyl: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 4
Latest Addition: Conan O'Brien as Spiderman
Prized Possession: Conan O'Brien as Spiderman

My collection: https://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/mem ... WWF43UNFW/

emcee

Postby emcee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Yeah this one I only had to hold in place for a minute (suggested 45 seconds) but it's great. My friend tried some gorilla glue that foams up yellow and it was not good. lol
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: 305

schmeebel

Postby schmeebel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Try Gorilla glue for the peeling sticker

Jla313

Postby Jla313 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Does anyone know how to clean a factory made smudge off of a flocked pop?
ImageImage

schmeebel

Postby schmeebel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:17 pm

I wonder if soaking it in oxiclean would mess it up?

LilThor

Postby LilThor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am

Blake85 wrote:Yeah magic eraser works wonders especially on white pops with markings

Agreed! Magic eraser does work wonders. Along with nail polish remover jist have to be careful with both so that paint doesn't come off unless that wss the goal. I've used both for fixes and even custom removal if paint and smudges. They also both work great for when paint from funko pop is on the plastic window. Thos happens occasionally I get a pop and see some paint on inside of window. Easy fix !

vallina

Postby vallina » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:24 am

I've got a cute lil rocket raccoon pop that keeps falling over on my desk. Tried museum putty, but he still falls over. At some point, he fell off and somehow twisted his neck so now he's even more imbalanced. 8-[

Nellekeller

Postby Nellekeller » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks for the helpful tips !

sourapplez

Postby sourapplez » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:16 pm

schmeebel wrote:I wonder if soaking it in oxiclean would mess it up?

I've had some discoloration when I did it to one of my superman pops.
ImageImageImage

Ganjahismana

Postby Ganjahismana » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 pm

We have a Raiden from mortal kombat and he has a gnarly ding across his eyes, as much as I want to fix it I'll just leave it alone. Still hasn't left the box yet

rbugs

Postby rbugs » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:12 am

Great ideas! Thank you!!

YamiJV

Postby YamiJV » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:38 am

Very interesting
Hi I'm Jimmy!
Gokai change! Gokai Blue!!!!

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am

A great thread with great tips learned a few tips today thank you
:freddy3:

challwsu

Postby challwsu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 am

Has anyone figured out a great glue to use? I may repair the antenna that came of the new 626 stitch instead of sending it back.
ImageImage

_ZROE

Postby _ZROE » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Wow! Great thread. I just learned something new today.

rbugs

Postby rbugs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 am

Try loctite. There are different kinds and most dry clear. Sold at every store (walmart, target, craft stores). In the craft aisle and the home hard ware aisle

rbugs

Postby rbugs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 am

challwsu wrote:Has anyone figured out a great glue to use? I may repair the antenna that came of the new 626 stitch instead of sending it back.

Try loctite? It works realky good for me. I have used it for all kinds if crafts and repairs

Jla313

Postby Jla313 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 pm

BlackWidow wrote:Does anyone recommend any acrylic paint color to use for Stitches chest? He's the first Funko I received and he has a chipped paint on his chest that needs to be touched up.

Any cheap paint from michaels will do, matching the correct shade of blue might be tricky. You should probably bring the pop to michaels and see which shade is closest. I believe they ranger from 59 cents to $2. Best of luck!
ImageImage

Batz31

Postby Batz31 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Great tips thanks guys.

rbugs

Postby rbugs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:03 pm

BlueberryWaffles wrote:My Star-Lord (masked) is looking to the left. Any way to get the head straight?

Picture? Is it partially removed/falling off or tilted? If you can heat it up (boiling water is one way) you can adjust easier without breaking.

rbugs

Postby rbugs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Jla313 wrote:
BlackWidow wrote:Does anyone recommend any acrylic paint color to use for Stitches chest? He's the first Funko I received and he has a chipped paint on his chest that needs to be touched up.

Any cheap paint from michaels will do, matching the correct shade of blue might be tricky. You should probably bring the pop to michaels and see which shade is closest. I believe they ranger from 59 cents to $2. Best of luck!

Jo Anne's also has a good selection of paint and they have lots of weekly coupons.

rbugs

Postby rbugs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:07 pm

sourapplez wrote:
schmeebel wrote:I wonder if soaking it in oxiclean would mess it up?

I've had some discoloration when I did it to one of my superman pops.

I could see that, chemicals in oxyclean are good for removing plastic coating on garage kits figures before priming and painting them. Its better to stay with soap and water and avoid chemicals if possible, less chance of damaging the pop.

Greymom

Postby Greymom » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:28 pm

This thread is awesome! Good to know that there's a place I can go if I ever have a repair issue.

Ganjahismana

Postby Ganjahismana » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:04 am

So the hulks seem to have a problem with his weapons breaking off of his hands, heard this is very common with the 10' Hulks. But i had it happen to the regular sized, wal-mart exclusive hulks axe, had to fix both hulks and used clear gorilla glue on the 10' one and krazy glue on the wal-mart exclusive one. both of them look fine.

alienfeast

Postby alienfeast » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Is there a solution on here about heads on Pops being unable to move? My grail flash chase has his head unable to turn and I feel like it might've been glued in.
Pop Count: 245
Current Wishlist: Dark Phoenix, Goofy, Syndrome, Mad Hatter, the Mayor :freddy2:
Proud to be a Funatic

BenLo

Postby BenLo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:38 pm

My main issues are the ones with bobble heads where their necks are facing the wrong way. Every time I try to twist the head to where it should go, it just gets worst. haha
Image Image

Dannyfunk

Postby Dannyfunk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Normally to make some pops stand I put very small pieces of double stick tape on there feet.

jason28688

Postby jason28688 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:38 pm

I had the same issue with my hulks

Ruxus

Postby Ruxus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm

So has anyone had any luck regluing boxes? My Skeletor box wasn't glued correctly so one of the bottom corners sticks out far enough that it doesn't fit into a Pop Stack. Was thinking about cutting and regluing the seam correctly. Thoughts?

Ganjahismana

Postby Ganjahismana » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 am

Out of all of the pops we have only a few needed to be repaired.

mikes_toybox

Postby mikes_toybox » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm

I've used acetone as well

Diabetesx03

Postby Diabetesx03 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Sorry if this was already asked but does anyone know how to fix a concaved box. The front of my Black Panther is concaved, it’s not bent (no folds or creases) but bows inward. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Flyers179

Postby Flyers179 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Subbing this thread for all the valuable knowledge, it's always impressive to see such simple and elegant solutions to issues that seem to plague half my pops - especially sharpies for fixing colors smh of course!

Return to “Pop!”