Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Bartjeuhh

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby Bartjeuhh » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:07 pm

BlueberryWaffles wrote:My Star-Lord (masked) is looking to the left. Any way to get the head straight?

You know you just can turn the head, right?

allonsy_slayergirl wrote:The "frozen" Anna I purchased will not fit on her stand! Any ideas??

Show some pictures please... Not everyone has that POP so we can't tell, there are multiple different kind of stands already.

allonsy_slayergirl

Postby allonsy_slayergirl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:09 pm

I believe it's the same stand as the one Daenarys is on (in your pic). I think the hole in Anna's foot is just too small or too shallow or something.

I will have to go take pics of it. I don't have any right now.
Lauren - Instagram: @allonsy_slayergirl
Collecting since 2012

BlueberryWaffles

Postby BlueberryWaffles » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Bartjeuhh wrote:
BlueberryWaffles wrote:My Star-Lord (masked) is looking to the left. Any way to get the head straight?

You know you just can turn the head, right?

It's a bobble-head. All Marvel Pops are. How do you turn bobble-head's heads?
I got a burnt Stay Puft today. An earlier one had lots of paint slop so I exchanged him. This one I was really happy with except there was a little green spot near the mouth. Didn't have a Magic Eraser, but I rubbed the spot with a high-polymer white eraser like this: http://t.staples.com/Pentel-Hi-Polymer- ... PID=163822 and it came right off. Super happy.
Total Pop count: 60
First Pop: Green Lantern
Most recent Pop: BB-8
Grail: SDCC 2014 exploding Stay Puft (GITD version)

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Grab the bottom of the spring with pliers and twist it to rotate a bobble head.
Try heating up Anna (not the base) in hot water so the vinyl is easier to manipulate and while it's still soft try putting her on the base.

ISO: Classic Harley Quinn Dorbz proto, Jareth, Ludo and Worm color protos, Silver Harley Quinn POP

allonsy_slayergirl

Postby allonsy_slayergirl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:46 pm

MadLove wrote:Grab the bottom of the spring with pliers and twist it to rotate a bobble head.
Try heating up Anna (not the base) in hot water so the vinyl is easier to manipulate and while it's still soft try putting her on the base.

Good call! I will try it!
Lauren - Instagram: @allonsy_slayergirl
Collecting since 2012

HuffRhuff

Postby HuffRhuff » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Got a box repair tip from Steve at Gemini last week that worked great and just wanted to pass it on. I received a pop that had glue (I assume it was glue since I couldn't get it off) on the window of the box. It wouldn't have been so bad but it was right in front of his face. Anyway, here's the remedy;
#1 - cooking oil such as Wesson. Put a tiny bit on the glue and let it sit for a few minutes. This sometimes softens it and it can be removed with water.
#2 - Hard to remove glue can be removed with a tiny bit of paint thinner or nail polish remover.
Hello...I'm Bob
Need: SDCC 2011 Shadow Trooper
Grail: Superman "Booble-Head" Pop proto
Pops: 250+

Bartjeuhh

Postby Bartjeuhh » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:10 am

So, my newly arrived pop has this very known problem of the head-support sticking out at the bottom. Any ideas if it's possible to fix? I tried to just press it back to the inside but it just didn't move at all haha :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slim1977

Postby slim1977 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Bartjeuhh wrote:So, my newly arrived pop has this very known problem of the head-support sticking out at the bottom. Any ideas if it's possible to fix? I tried to just press it back to the inside but it just didn't move at all haha :p

It looks like she has a double chin.
ISO: Jay proto from Jay and Silent Bob strike back

blueberry_yoghurt

Postby blueberry_yoghurt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:52 pm

My Captain America's (Winter Soldier) head is too heavy for the spring so it automatically droops down. I managed to improve it a little by craming a cotton ball in there but it's still not great! I've been pretty lucky with all my other bobble heads. Did anyone else have this problem with their Cap? It's head is so heavy compared to all the others!
Pop count: 99 On order: 5

Pops I would love to have:

Zombie Jake
The Flash (Chase)
Penguin

funkopopsrock

Postby funkopopsrock » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:14 pm

I think I broke my Rocket pop,I was trying to get some video of his head bobbling and

In the second pic he seems to be looking down, any ideas on to fix?
Jen:fan of funko pop tv and music
pops and other collections instagram: Jencollects
Funko Funklub member 8/1/16 :freddy1:

naisatoh

Postby naisatoh » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Bartjeuhh wrote:So, my newly arrived pop has this very known problem of the head-support sticking out at the bottom. Any ideas if it's possible to fix? I tried to just press it back to the inside but it just didn't move at all haha :p

Looks like it's glued out of place. Best thing (if you're up for it) is to boil it until the glue softens and push it back into place. One the glue hardens, it should be back to normal.

funkopopsrock wrote:I think I broke my Rocket pop,I was trying to get some video of his head bobbling and

In the second pic he seems to be looking down, any ideas on to fix?

Cotton Ball Technique

http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=51586&p=992903&hilit=cotton+ball#p992718
Hello. My name is Vince and I am a Funkaholic.

Bartjeuhh

Postby Bartjeuhh » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks, maybe I will do that :p Looks risky, but it ain't one of my favourite POP's anyway so I can try.

Jeggy

Postby Jeggy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:34 pm

I see some questions on bobbleheads that are tilted or looking the other direction. I posted on the first page how to fix this, and it's super easy.
Jeggy wrote:Fixing a bent spring for the bobbles.

Fixing the spring if the head is tilted is actually easy. I just fixed one for the first time this past weekend and I did it in a few minutes.

The head unscrews very easily and it is actually the spring that is coming off from the body. If you have difficulties make sure the little bend at the tip of the spring isn't carving it's way into the stem. Simply push that part with your finger or move with needle nose pliers. Once it is unsnagged it will come off with ease.

Now as for getting the spring out the head. It helps greatly if you have needle nose pliers, your fingers work too but it might prove to be very difficult. Any who simpley find the bent tip of the spring and push that counter clockwise. The tip will be the part of the spring furthest up the head. This basically loosens the spring, and should now be able to just twist out.

Take a look at the spring and look for where the bend in the rings is. I do this by looking at the spring as perfectly straight up as I can and look for the ring in the spring that is causing it to not look straight. Use the needle nose to pinch that ring, and slowly bend in the opposite direction until it looks as if the spring has straightened.

Putting the spring back on is the easiest part. First twist the spring on the neck of the body. Remember the skinny part goes on the neck. Next twist on the head making sure to that you apply it straight. The direction it is facing doesn't matter. Next twist the head until you reach the desired bobble. The head does not get twisted all the way as it will not bob and the head will look very close to the body if you do so. If it is still crooked repeat the bending of the spring until it is fixed.

That's it.

Jeggy

Postby Jeggy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:38 pm

HuffRhuff wrote:Got a box repair tip from Steve at Gemini last week that worked great and just wanted to pass it on. I received a pop that had glue (I assume it was glue since I couldn't get it off) on the window of the box. It wouldn't have been so bad but it was right in front of his face. Anyway, here's the remedy;
#1 - cooking oil such as Wesson. Put a tiny bit on the glue and let it sit for a few minutes. This sometimes softens it and it can be removed with water.
#2 - Hard to remove glue can be removed with a tiny bit of paint thinner or nail polish remover.

Cooking oil is also good for removing tape residue. Obviously not from the cardboard box, but would work on the window.

BlueberryWaffles

Postby BlueberryWaffles » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:09 pm

allonsy_slayergirl wrote:The "frozen" Anna I purchased will not fit on her stand! Any ideas??

Mine doesn't either. Luckily she stands pretty well on her own. For anyone else that has this Anna, is this on all of them?
Total Pop count: 60
First Pop: Green Lantern
Most recent Pop: BB-8
Grail: SDCC 2014 exploding Stay Puft (GITD version)

jessicaaaam

Postby jessicaaaam » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:53 pm

BlueberryWaffles wrote:

Mine doesn't either. Luckily she stands pretty well on her own. For anyone else that has this Anna, is this on all of them?

My Anna did not fit in her stand also!

Billp123

Postby Billp123 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:06 pm

I got a Wacky Wobbler proto shipped to me and the head was caved in from someone using a box that was way too small and USPS banging it around. So I asked around and Ross told me to boil the head for 10 seconds and re-shape the head. It worked perfectly and my TWD WW proto looks brand new with no issues. So all credit goes to Ross on this one.
POP! Count: NEED INTERVENTION!

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:30 am

When in doubt, boil your POPs lol

ISO: Classic Harley Quinn Dorbz proto, Jareth, Ludo and Worm color protos, Silver Harley Quinn POP

jlnorris1215

Postby jlnorris1215 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:39 am

Will cooking oil remove this much sticker residue? Have no idea what the sticker was, I found it like this at B&N. I'd really like to avoid roughing up or scratching the plastic. Any help would be appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pop Count: 163
Favorite PoP: SDCC Headless Hershel Greene & NBC Mayor, Zombie Conan
First PoP: Daryl Dixon
Most recent PoP: Papa Legba and Rubber Man

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:59 am

I think that'd work. I would flatten the box first to avoid denting it.

Jeggy

Postby Jeggy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:46 am

jlnorris1215 wrote:Will cooking oil remove this much sticker residue? Have no idea what the sticker was, I found it like this at B&N. I'd really like to avoid roughing up or scratching the plastic. Any help would be appreciated!

Cooking oil would work fine as long as you use a smooth cloth. I've used cooking oil to remove globs of tape residue from my car the size of silver dollars, in the sun no less, and everything came out great. A rough cloth will just scratch the hell out of the window so make sure before hand it's not, probably a microfiber cloth would be the best. Be sure to dab a little on the cloth and not the box. Also you will more than likely have to flatten the box to get best results. Afterwards it will of course be oily but just use a dry part of the cloth and wipe away until not slick. A damp cloth might help in getting the oil off better, but not sure.

Other methods I've used, granted none on a plastic window, were warm water (used on metal) and Goo Gone used on various items. I've also heard that alcohol breaks down this stuff as well, but I've never tried it. Rumor has it though that Goo Gone and alcohol can melt thinner plastics.

naisatoh

Postby naisatoh » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:43 pm

Jeggy wrote:
jlnorris1215 wrote:Will cooking oil remove this much sticker residue? Have no idea what the sticker was, I found it like this at B&N. I'd really like to avoid roughing up or scratching the plastic. Any help would be appreciated!

Cooking oil would work fine as long as you use a smooth cloth. I've used cooking oil to remove globs of tape residue from my car the size of silver dollars, in the sun no less, and everything came out great. A rough cloth will just scratch the hell out of the window so make sure before hand it's not, probably a microfiber cloth would be the best. Be sure to dab a little on the cloth and not the box. Also you will more than likely have to flatten the box to get best results. Afterwards it will of course be oily but just use a dry part of the cloth and wipe away until not slick. A damp cloth might help in getting the oil off better, but not sure.

Other methods I've used, granted none on a plastic window, were warm water (used on metal) and Goo Gone used on various items. I've also heard that alcohol breaks down this stuff as well, but I've never tried it. Rumor has it though that Goo Gone and alcohol can melt thinner plastics.

I would just get some packing tape and go over it again and again. It'll pick up small pieces of residue bit by bit, but it'll eventually pick it all up. Just some patience, and several pieces of tape.

jlnorris1215

Postby jlnorris1215 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:05 pm

image.jpg
Thanks for all your advice MadLove and Jeggy! Cooking oil dabbed on a microfiber cloth with the box flattened worked like magic!!

naisatoh

Postby naisatoh » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 am

jlnorris1215 wrote:
image.jpg
Thanks for all your advice MadLove and Jeggy! Cooking oil dabbed on a microfiber cloth with the box flattened worked like magic!!

Thanks for posting this! You've made a believer out of me!

Jeggy

Postby Jeggy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:51 am

jlnorris1215 wrote:
image.jpg

Your very welcome. That came out great. It looks crystal clear.

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:58 am

jlnorris1215 wrote:
image.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for posting the results too! I'm glad it worked!

HuffRhuff

Postby HuffRhuff » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Has anyone out there found a way to polish out fine scratches off window boxes? I have a few DC chases that have scratched up windows...novice sticker removals. Thanks
Hello...I'm Bob
Need: SDCC 2011 Shadow Trooper
Grail: Superman "Booble-Head" Pop proto
Pops: 250+

jessicaaaam

Postby jessicaaaam » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 pm

Anyone has tips on removing glue from a Pop's face? My Flash funko pop has glue stuck on his face from the lighting bolt that was glued on his head.

naisatoh

Postby naisatoh » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:16 pm

jessicaaaam wrote:Anyone has tips on removing glue from a Pop's face? My Flash funko pop has glue stuck on his face from the lighting bolt that was glued on his head.

You may be able to get a hair dryer and heat up the area enough to soften the glue. Once it's nice and soft, you should be able to wipe it off with a towel. Good luck!

Farinasaur

Postby Farinasaur » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Fixing the spring if the head is tilted is actually easy. I just fixed one for the first time this past weekend and I did it in a few minutes.

The head unscrews very easily and it is actually the spring that is coming off from the body. If you have difficulties make sure the little bend at the tip of the spring isn't carving it's way into the stem. Simply push that part with your finger or move with needle nose pliers. Once it is unsnagged it will come off with ease.

Now as for getting the spring out the head. It helps greatly if you have needle nose pliers, your fingers work too but it might prove to be very difficult. Any who simpley find the bent tip of the spring and push that counter clockwise. The tip will be the part of the spring furthest up the head. This basically loosens the spring, and should now be able to just twist out.

Take a look at the spring and look for where the bend in the rings is. I do this by looking at the spring as perfectly straight as I can and look for the ring in the spring that is causing it to not look straight. Use the needle nose to pinch that ring, and slowly bend in the opposite direction until it looks as if the spring has straightened.

Putting the spring back on is the easiest part. First twist the spring on the neck of the body. Remember the skinny part goes on the neck. Next twist on the head making sure to that you apply it straight. The direction it is facing doesn't matter. Next twist the head until you reach the desired bobble. The head does not get twisted all the way as it will not bob and the head will look very close to the body if you do so.

That's it.

This tip helped me a lot today, thank you!

Dupree721

Postby Dupree721 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:33 pm

So here's an odd request:

I picked up my POP Smaug at Hot Topic tonight, but when I took him out of the packaging I noticed that one of his horns has a dent in it (it's missing plastic, looks to just be a mold imperfection). I'm pretty particular about my POPs and was wondering if there would be any kind of substance I could buy to fill the hole in. I was thinking of using my gold paint marker to build up layers until it dries and fills it up, but I don't think that would honestly work that well, so is there a putty or substance anyone would recommend that I could use to fix him up? Thanks in advance!

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Dupree721 wrote:So here's an odd request:

I picked up my POP Smaug at Hot Topic tonight, but when I took him out of the packaging I noticed that one of his horns has a dent in it (it's missing plastic, looks to just be a mold imperfection). I'm pretty particular about my POPs and was wondering if there would be any kind of substance I could buy to fill the hole in. I was thinking of using my gold paint marker to build up layers until it dries and fills it up, but I don't think that would honestly work that well, so is there a putty or substance anyone would recommend that I could use to fix him up? Thanks in advance!

First thing that comes to mind would be filling it in with Sculpy, sanding it and repainting it but that would be a LOT of work. Honestly for something like that if it truely bothers you, try and exchange it if you can.

Dupree721

Postby Dupree721 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:13 am

MadLove wrote:
Dupree721 wrote:So here's an odd request:

First thing that comes to mind would be filling it in with Sculpy, sanding it and repainting it but that would be a LOT of work. Honestly for something like that if it truely bothers you, try and exchange it if you can.

Thanks for the reply! It doesn't bother me THAT much, plus Smaug wasn't exactly pristine in the movie either, so it's totally cool with me. It might be a fun idea to sculpt a bit though. After looking at videos and photos, it seems like that's a common problem spot, but it's strictly because of the mold.

BlackWidow

Postby BlackWidow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Any suggestions for exclusive stickers that are peeling off? It's just the edge. Should I just touch it up with a glue stick and stick it back to the window of the box?
My Name Is: Bobby
American Horror Story Pop's: 10/10
Walking Dead Pop's: 2/52
ImageImage

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:39 am

Yeah, I'd say a tiny dot of superglue will hold that in place.

zaghawk

Postby zaghawk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:23 pm

I got two issues:

1) "Frozen" Anna got dropped by my toddler, foot broke off. Tried super glue but it won't stick back together.

2) Professor X - The spring is completely in his head and on the neck, yet his head springs up like 2 inches from his body, as if he's a giraffe or something.
Gavin

FunKlub # 14297

ISO:
Ratatouille Protos
Kylo Ren Proto
BTTF Delorean & Einstein Dorbz Protos
Friends TV Series Protos (Phoebe, Chandler, Monica)
Animated Series Joker POP Proto
Batman POP Protos

ImageImage

specialed

Postby specialed » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:15 pm

How do I fix this? I know something about laying it flat with books on top, but is that it?
ImageImage

jlnorris1215

Postby jlnorris1215 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:58 pm

zaghawk wrote:I got two issues:

1) "Frozen" Anna got dropped by my toddler, foot broke off. Tried super glue but it won't stick back

Have you tried e6000 glue? I've never had to glue a pop back together but I have bonded glass, metal and wood with it. You won't need much (they sell small tubes at craft stores) and the stuff stinks to high heaven so use in a well ventilated area! Oh and it comes out of the tube quick so be careful.

doao

Postby doao » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Take a look at the spring and look for where the bend in the rings is. I do this by looking at the spring as perfectly straight as I can and look for the ring in the spring that is causing it to not look straight. Use the needle nose to pinch that ring, and slowly bend in the opposite direction until it looks as if the spring has straightened.

Putting the spring back on is the easiest part. First twist the spring on the neck of the body. Remember the skinny part goes on the neck. Next twist on the head making sure to that you apply it straight. The direction it is facing doesn't matter. Next twist the head until you reach the desired bobble. The head does not get twisted all the way as it will not bob and the head will look very close to the body if you do so.

That's it.

Thanks Jeggy! This worked like a charm!

vicsfunko

Postby vicsfunko » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:38 pm

I don't know what to do with my DIY pop!!!

***INSTAGRAM*** >>> TheFunkoDude <<<

Return to “Pop!”