Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
kenjidm

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby kenjidm » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:09 pm

is anyone having issues with Mr Monopoly standing up? If so how did you fix it? I been trying to push his head backwards to sort of balance it correctly but doesn't do the trick.
:freddy2:

Karebear101083

Postby Karebear101083 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Shinfo13 wrote:So have a kinda weird issue. Bought this GITD Behemoth back in October and he had no issue, but went to organize my collection yesterday and noticed this. It isn't food or paint so no clue what it could possibly be. I tried removing whatever it is with rubbing alcohol and just warm water but neither worked. My fiance ended up taking an exacto knife and kinda scrapping most of it away but couldn't get all of it.

Anyone have a clue what it could be or have something similar happen? We had a Xmas tree with lights nearby and thought maybe the constant exposure burnt some of the GITD coating but we have other glow Pops nearby that weren't affected and the tree wasn't even super close.

Maybe Goo Gone or lighter fluid?
Image Image

Hashtaghappysteph

Postby Hashtaghappysteph » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:43 am

This thread is a life saver!! Thank you!

Clown

Postby Clown » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 am

Shinfo13 wrote:So have a kinda weird issue. Bought this GITD Behemoth back in October and he had no issue, but went to organize my collection yesterday and noticed this. It isn't food or paint so no clue what it could possibly be. I tried removing whatever it is with rubbing alcohol and just warm water but neither worked. My fiance ended up taking an exacto knife and kinda scrapping most of it away but couldn't get all of it.

Anyone have a clue what it could be or have something similar happen? We had a Xmas tree with lights nearby and thought maybe the constant exposure burnt some of the GITD coating but we have other glow Pops nearby that weren't affected and the tree wasn't even super close.

I’ve used Mr clean magic eraser to get rid of blemishes on pops before. Id be really careful to not lift the layer of paint underneath it, but if the face isn’t painted and that’s the color of the vinyl you should have no problem!

kastudillo

Postby kastudillo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:26 am

This is an awesome thread!
Love anything Funko!!! :freddy3:

Ms_Chase

Postby Ms_Chase » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 am

kenjidm wrote:is anyone having issues with Mr Monopoly standing up? If so how did you fix it? I been trying to push his head backwards to sort of balance it correctly but doesn't do the trick.

Put it in a bowl of water that’s almost boiling for a minute or so. It will be super soft and you can stand it in another bowl holding it in a better standing position then pour in ice water and it should quickly harden in the new stance.

Ms_Chase

Postby Ms_Chase » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 am

Schl0 wrote:
jkcohen626 wrote:This is taking the quotation marks around repair to the max, but has anybody had any success with removing glued on stands, specifically Holo-Leia or The Last Jedi Mystery Minis?

I’ve never done it before, but I would suggest trying to use a hairdryer to heat up the glue holding them together. Don’t use anything crazy like a heat gun tho.

Most of the glue comes free if you soak it in almost boiling water for a minute or two. Have you tried that?
:colors:

kenjidm

Postby kenjidm » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Ms_Chase wrote:
kenjidm wrote:is anyone having issues with Mr Monopoly standing up? If so how did you fix it? I been trying to push his head backwards to sort of balance it correctly but doesn't do the trick.

Put it in a bowl of water that’s almost boiling for a minute or so. It will be super soft and you can stand it in another bowl holding it in a better standing position then pour in ice water and it should quickly harden in the new stance.

Thanks will try this tonight.. Hopefully I don't screw it up...haha

cptuff1969

Postby cptuff1969 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for the input will use in the future if needed

PsiQo1

Postby PsiQo1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:34 am

Ganjahismana wrote:So the hulks seem to have a problem with his weapons breaking off of his hands, heard this is very common with the 10' Hulks. But i had it happen to the regular sized, wal-mart exclusive hulks axe, had to fix both hulks and used clear gorilla glue on the 10' one and krazy glue on the wal-mart exclusive one. both of them look fine.

I used hot glue.... I have commitment issues lol .... it worked for now but I know it will fall off... maybe I will try the clear gorilla glue.

YamiJV

Postby YamiJV » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Nice for future reference! Paint, glue, and hot glue ideas!
Hi I'm Jimmy!
Gokai change! Gokai Blue!!!!

plasticempire

Postby plasticempire » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Can you put a broken sword back by melting/heating the vinyl?

tankong

Postby tankong » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Great tips! Thanks.

pommefille

Postby pommefille » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:31 pm

plasticempire wrote:Can you put a broken sword back by melting/heating the vinyl?

It would be very tricky to heat the vinyl enough to melt it while not messing it up in the process - I would err on the side of caution and use adhesive instead
----ig: kavka twitter: kavka fb: kavka----

OUTSIDER31

Postby OUTSIDER31 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:03 am

Removing head

ashio24

Postby ashio24 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Does anybody have advice for fixing a broken spring in a bobble head Pop?

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:29 pm

wow, what amazing tips. Especially the boiling water one. Thanks everyone
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

mizsdiana

Postby mizsdiana » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm

emcee wrote:
funko_ryan wrote:
The1one1 wrote:Hey has anyone repaired a broken hammer on the 10" hulk? If so what glue did you use? In the past I've used quick setting Krazy glue but noticed it leave a white haze as the glue dries.

This was the very reason why I came to this thread. I just purchased one and plan on fixing it tonight. If Krazy glue leaves a white haze, I wonder if ModPodge would work? That stuff dries clear. I actually used it to fix my Hot Toys GOTG2 Star-Lord (the headphone broke on one end). It would take a lot longer for it to dry and you would have to hold it in place, but that could be an option.

I posted in the Hulk threads but didn't think to post here. Here's what I used and it worked great. I put a small piece of tape over the hole so the glue would spread outwards and not downwards.

https://www.target.com/p/15g-gorilla-su ... nk=sametab

Loctite gel Control worked really well for me when I was customizing a funko pop and was trying to glue in glasses. It works very quick and is super sturdy!

emcee

Postby emcee » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:13 pm

ashio24 wrote:Does anybody have advice for fixing a broken spring in a bobble head Pop?

Have a picture of where it's broken?
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: 298

ashio24

Postby ashio24 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:16 pm

emcee wrote:
ashio24 wrote:Does anybody have advice for fixing a broken spring in a bobble head Pop?

Oh I ended up just gluing the head to the shoulders but now it looks like it has no neck. The spring was all bent inside.

emcee

Postby emcee » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm

ashio24 wrote:
emcee wrote:

Oh I ended up just gluing the head to the shoulders but now it looks like it has no neck. The spring was all bent inside.

If it's just bent it can be bent back or manipulated with the right amount of effort. If the spring is snapped into 2 pieces it would be really tough to put back together.
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: 298

Exodus989

Postby Exodus989 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:30 pm

The worst is retailers putting there tags right on the window - some of them goo gone takes care of easily, others not so much. Anyone have any other ideas? Trying to find something that doesn’t cloud the plastic
Exodus

ssdautocity

Postby ssdautocity » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm

mizsdiana wrote:
emcee wrote:
funko_ryan wrote:
This was the very reason why I came to this thread. I just purchased one and plan on fixing it tonight. If Krazy glue leaves a white haze, I wonder if ModPodge would work? That stuff dries clear. I actually used it to fix my Hot Toys GOTG2 Star-Lord (the headphone broke on one end). It would take a lot longer for it to dry and you would have to hold it in place, but that could be an option.

I posted in the Hulk threads but didn't think to post here. Here's what I used and it worked great. I put a small piece of tape over the hole so the glue would spread outwards and not downwards.

https://www.target.com/p/15g-gorilla-su ... nk=sametab

Loctite gel Control worked really well for me when I was customizing a funko pop and was trying to glue in glasses. It works very quick and is super sturdy!

I agree Loctite gel works really well I have used it a few times and it hasn't let me down yet.

thejanellybean

Postby thejanellybean » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:45 pm

So... my 10in porg is leaning way far forward and it looks like his body is detaching from his feet . I tried pushing his feet back into the body but it wont budge. Help! lol
:freddy1: IG: american_beauty489

ImageImageImage

PapaFunko

Postby PapaFunko » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Great ideas for all the repairs. I might have to try a few of them out. If I don't succeed, it's more Pops for the Trick or Treaters when Halloween rolls around. =)

ImTheLegendOfKyxz

Postby ImTheLegendOfKyxz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:49 am

Thanks.

mizsdiana

Postby mizsdiana » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 pm

PapaFunko wrote:Great ideas for all the repairs. I might have to try a few of them out. If I don't succeed, it's more Pops for the Trick or Treaters when Halloween rolls around. =)

LOL...thats better than soda cans and king size candy bars! Where do you live? :razz: :compress:

Exodus989

Postby Exodus989 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:55 pm

Anyone have any recommendations on how to get leftover glue off the feet/bottom of a pop? I bought a couple oob’s And it looks like they were glued down to a display. Goo gone looks like it might take some paint off - I’m wondering if someone has another idea? Thanks!!
Exodus

PapaFunko

Postby PapaFunko » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 pm

mizsdiana wrote:
PapaFunko wrote:Great ideas for all the repairs. I might have to try a few of them out. If I don't succeed, it's more Pops for the Trick or Treaters when Halloween rolls around. =)

LOL...thats better than soda cans and king size candy bars! Where do you live? :razz: :compress:

I live in Antelope, CA. I've given out 25+ pops a year for Halloween for the last couple years, plus minis, pint size heroes, key chains, etc. Gotta get the little kids hooked on Pops at an early age. =)

Funkofan21

Postby Funkofan21 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Anyone have any ideas/tips on fixing crushed boxes?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mizsdiana

Postby mizsdiana » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm

PapaFunko wrote:
mizsdiana wrote:

I live in Antelope, CA. I've given out 25+ pops a year for Halloween for the last couple years, plus minis, pint size heroes, key chains, etc. Gotta get the little kids hooked on Pops at an early age. =)

Be prepared! I'm going to YOUR house for Halloween this year! We will be the ones yelling "FUNKO POPS!!! WHERE ARE YOUUUUU"

conventiongeek

Postby conventiongeek » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Exodus989 wrote:Anyone have any recommendations on how to get leftover glue off the feet/bottom of a pop? I bought a couple oob’s And it looks like they were glued down to a display. Goo gone looks like it might take some paint off - I’m wondering if someone has another idea? Thanks!!

Try a hot blow dryer.

I have had retailers put their sticker on the front window and the blow dryer heats up the glue and loosens it enough to carefully peel it off. I can not say for sure about the paint, but the glue should soften before the paint does.

Funko_love48

Postby Funko_love48 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 am

irrab wrote:
MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!
My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

Just seen this thread. thanks for posting it. Some great tips in there i will use :D

This post has saved me, the magic eraser works great. Thank you.

plasticempire

Postby plasticempire » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:38 pm

pommefille wrote:
plasticempire wrote:Can you put a broken sword back by melting/heating the vinyl?

It would be very tricky to heat the vinyl enough to melt it while not messing it up in the process - I would err on the side of caution and use adhesive instead

Thank you!

Snozberries44

Postby Snozberries44 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:32 pm

I picked up a loose superman and some of the paint is missing from his hand.... what kind of paint do you guys use on the pops? I forget the superman number but I believe its the cavel man of steel with the spitcurl if that makes a difference....its just the flesh on his hand I need to paint.

Also I want to attempt to customize my first pop.... I want to turn a brunette into a blone because of the specific hair style...any suggestions for paint for that welcome!

thanks in advance...

kcfunatic

Postby kcfunatic » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:29 am

Ms_Chase wrote:

This suggestion is BRILLIANT! It worked flawlessly for me. Thank you!!!!

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 pm

ashio24 wrote:
emcee wrote:

If down the road you plan to fix it let us know and take a picture. Maybe we can figure something out that will make it look right again.
ImageImageImage

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Tue May 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Snozberries44 wrote:I picked up a loose superman and some of the paint is missing from his hand.... what kind of paint do you guys use on the pops? I forget the superman number but I believe its the cavel man of steel with the spitcurl if that makes a difference....its just the flesh on his hand I need to paint.

Also I want to attempt to customize my first pop.... I want to turn a brunette into a blone because of the specific hair style...any suggestions for paint for that welcome!

thanks in advance...

I haven't done a mod to mine yet, but i'm sure the same technique can be applied here. Make sure you prime it and use any acrylic type paint. Airbrushing it will give it a clean look, but if you don't have one you can brush it on. Sometimes it will leave brush strokes depending on the brush you use.
ImageImageImage

dork_knight

Postby dork_knight » Tue May 01, 2018 8:51 pm

kcfunatic wrote:
Ms_Chase wrote:

This suggestion is BRILLIANT! It worked flawlessly for me. Thank you!!!!

I'm gonna need to try this for my demogorgon and some female pops because they tend to start leaning forwards :P

Thanks for the tip :)

Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Pop Count:1,613 (I've embraced the dark side)
Grail Goals: Mr. Hyde & Bugs | Sex Bob-Omb 3-Pack | Upside Down Freddy | Dustin Freddy
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 363 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

Pop10195

Postby Pop10195 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 pm

:freddy4:

Return to “Pop!”