Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
stevedawg85_funko

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby stevedawg85_funko » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm

awesome stuff, i have those w/ the skinny legs and I lost the base

Mrs_funko_junkie

Postby Mrs_funko_junkie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Some of these ideas are great. I totally agree with the magic eraser, works miracles
Mrs_Funko_junkie :cherry:

Urstranger1

Postby Urstranger1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:40 pm

MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!
My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

Great thread idea. Nice job starting this one! Thanks!
SDCC 2013 - SDCC 2014 - SDCC 2015 - SDCC 2016 - SDCC 2017 - SDCC 2018 - SDCC 2019
Image ImageImage

Popsonpopsonpops_

Postby Popsonpopsonpops_ » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Awesome thread. Definitely picked up a few tricks to use on my pops and pint size heroes!

buried_by_pops

Postby buried_by_pops » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:16 pm

I got my Captain Marvel 433 Target Exclusive in the mail today and it looks like her head is not well attached (sitting too high and spring exposed on neck). I'm looking on Ebay and it seems like most of the ones on offer are like this as well. Is there an easy fix for this one?

MichealHick

Postby MichealHick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 pm

This thread is awesome. Thanks for your input MadLove.
Check out my personal blog.
Last edited by MichealHick on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here are my recommendation gears: Too drie

The Bleach Fan

Postby The Bleach Fan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Great tip about the magic eraser. I will be sure to try it.

Edge988

Postby Edge988 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:17 am

Hi guys! Do you think there is a way to “renew” this pop? Cleaning can bring it back a good shape?

https://imgur.com/a/zAF9hlF

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:47 pm

So I have the flying tinkerbell in which the "pixie dust" is her stand that goes mid back. Well my cat knocked her off the shelf and the stand broke off by her back. Ive tried super glue and gorilla glue and nothing will hold it. Any ideas?
Gotta love those pops :freddy2:
Pop count :480 and climbing
ImageImage

Mags

Postby Mags » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Edge988 wrote:Hi guys! Do you think there is a way to “renew” this pop? Cleaning can bring it back a good shape?

https://imgur.com/a/zAF9hlF

I'd say take a damp magic eraser and gently use it to clean. I would take care especially around the detailed parts like the shoes and on the back of his gi where the "Go" symbol is.

Mags

Postby Mags » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Mjacob78 wrote:So I have the flying tinkerbell in which the "pixie dust" is her stand that goes mid back. Well my cat knocked her off the shelf and the stand broke off by her back. Ive tried super glue and gorilla glue and nothing will hold it. Any ideas?

Did you give the glue enough time to cure? I bought my sister an Ernesto de la Cruz pop last year from a Toys R Us liquidation sale and somehow his legs had been snapped off (they were still in the box), so I borrowed a friend's E6000 glue and carefully glued the pop back together and propped it up in a location where it could cure for 24 hours without messing up the repair.

Either didn't let it sit long enough to cure, didn't get it realigned right when you glued it, or you need a stronger glue.

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 am

Mags wrote:
Mjacob78 wrote:So I have the flying tinkerbell in which the "pixie dust" is her stand that goes mid back. Well my cat knocked her off the shelf and the stand broke off by her back. Ive tried super glue and gorilla glue and nothing will hold it. Any ideas?

Did you give the glue enough time to cure? I bought my sister an Ernesto de la Cruz pop last year from a Toys R Us liquidation sale and somehow his legs had been snapped off (they were still in the box), so I borrowed a friend's E6000 glue and carefully glued the pop back together and propped it up in a location where it could cure for 24 hours without messing up the repair.

Either didn't let it sit long enough to cure, didn't get it realigned right when you glued it, or you need a stronger glue.

Well the damn cat also knocked over the NBC clown and he lost his legs and I was able to glue them back with no problem. I just think the clear stand maybe the way it broke right against her back and it won't hold up the pop weight so she's just lying on her side like she's posing lol.
ImageImage

Mags

Postby Mags » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Mjacob78 wrote:
Mags wrote:

Well the damn cat also knocked over the NBC clown and he lost his legs and I was able to glue them back with no problem. I just think the clear stand maybe the way it broke right against her back and it won't hold up the pop weight so she's just lying on her side like she's posing lol.

That's probably it, then. Which stinks because that's going to be pretty difficult to fix. At this point I would just use sticky tack on the bottoms of her feet and lean her against the stand.

TravT77

Postby TravT77 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:26 am

This my have been posted about before, but I recently fixed a Demogorgan that kept toppling over by heating the legs with a heat gun and holding it in a more upright position while dipping in cold water to “freeze” it in that position. Worked like a charm!

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:31 am

TravT77 wrote:This my have been posted about before, but I recently fixed a Demogorgan that kept toppling over by heating the legs with a heat gun and holding it in a more upright position while dipping in cold water to “freeze” it in that position. Worked like a charm!

Nice!! I have a few girl pops that even when on their stands still constantly fall over, May have to try this.
ImageImage

d3postman

Postby d3postman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:40 pm

TravT77 wrote:This my have been posted about before, but I recently fixed a Demogorgan that kept toppling over by heating the legs with a heat gun and holding it in a more upright position while dipping in cold water to “freeze” it in that position. Worked like a charm!

Hadn't thought about doing this, but this'll work for a lot of small leg/top heavy pops! Some of the Jurassic Park ones, the Batman from Batman The Animated Series, with his large freakin' head...Good idea!

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:04 pm

There are so many model glues that I see in craft stores....it’s slightly daunting. I am trying to cut a hand off an existing pop and reattach it to a different pop.

Mags

Postby Mags » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:45 pm

ghostrye wrote:There are so many model glues that I see in craft stores....it’s slightly daunting. I am trying to cut a hand off an existing pop and reattach it to a different pop.

E6000 or Gorilla Glue are your best bet.

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:59 am

Mags wrote:
ghostrye wrote:There are so many model glues that I see in craft stores....it’s slightly daunting. I am trying to cut a hand off an existing pop and reattach it to a different pop.

Thank you so much for the tip. Much appreciated!!!

Jon319jon

Postby Jon319jon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:16 am

I have a Hot Topic rose exclusive rose proto. It is broken at the steam, I need help of best way to fix it. Thank you in advance

kastudillo

Postby kastudillo » Fri May 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Does anyone know how to fix a chrome pop when the chrome is faded in a spot
Love anything Funko!!! :freddy3:

kastudillo

Postby kastudillo » Fri May 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Mags wrote:

Doesn't that type of glue leave like a residue if you put too much like crazy glue

Mr_Wilson

Postby Mr_Wilson » Fri May 03, 2019 9:26 pm

May the force be with you!
IG: mrwilsonthai
Twitter: WilsonThai

Image Image

Mags

Postby Mags » Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 pm

kastudillo wrote:
Mags wrote:

Doesn't that type of glue leave like a residue if you put too much like crazy glue

I mean most heavy-duty glues will leave residue if you put too much down. Most people use damp cloths to wipe up any excess once the pieces are connected.

nerdgirlcustoms

Postby nerdgirlcustoms » Fri May 03, 2019 11:45 pm

I've found that I struggle with using regular superglue, but Zap-A-Gap works very well for me when it comes to fixing pops

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 pm

nerdgirlcustoms wrote:

I've found that I struggle with using regular superglue, but Zap-A-Gap works very well for me when it comes to fixing pops

Thanks I’ll give it a try :)
ImageImage

schmeebel

Postby schmeebel » Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 am

jlnorris1215 wrote:
zaghawk wrote:I got two issues:

1) "Frozen" Anna got dropped by my toddler, foot broke off. Tried super glue but it won't stick back

Have you tried e6000 glue? I've never had to glue a pop back together but I have bonded glass, metal and wood with it. You won't need much (they sell small tubes at craft stores) and the stuff stinks to high heaven so use in a well ventilated area! Oh and it comes out of the tube quick so be careful.

Thanks good tip.

kastudillo

Postby kastudillo » Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Mags wrote:
kastudillo wrote:
Mags wrote:E6000 or Gorilla Glue are your best bet.

I mean most heavy-duty glues will leave residue if you put too much down. Most people use damp cloths to wipe up any excess once the pieces are connected.

Oh ok thanks for the info... from what I've dealt with crazy glue If you use too much it cleans off but it leaves this white residue that looks like dust and no matter how many times it gets cleaned once it gets dry it appears again

Mags

Postby Mags » Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 pm

kastudillo wrote:
Mags wrote:
kastudillo wrote:Doesn't that type of glue leave like a residue if you put too much like crazy glue

Oh ok thanks for the info... from what I've dealt with crazy glue If you use too much it cleans off but it leaves this white residue that looks like dust and no matter how many times it gets cleaned once it gets dry it appears again

That's when you break out the magic eraser :wink:

El_PANDA

Postby El_PANDA » Wed May 08, 2019 1:06 am

Thank you for the great post! The hair dryer technique definitely helped me fix a part of my pop that was slightly bent!
ImageImageImageImage

kastudillo

Postby kastudillo » Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Mags wrote:
kastudillo wrote:
Mags wrote:I mean most heavy-duty glues will leave residue if you put too much down. Most people use damp cloths to wipe up any excess once the pieces are connected.

Really!? I didn't know the magic eraser took that off! Cool thanks for the tip

Mags

Postby Mags » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm

kastudillo wrote:
Mags wrote:
kastudillo wrote:Oh ok thanks for the info... from what I've dealt with crazy glue If you use too much it cleans off but it leaves this white residue that looks like dust and no matter how many times it gets cleaned once it gets dry it appears again

Really!? I didn't know the magic eraser took that off! Cool thanks for the tip

Just be careful you don't remove the paint!

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am

Urstranger1 wrote:
MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!
My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

Great thread idea. Nice job starting this one! Thanks!

I wonder if you have the issue of Pops falling over, would boiling the legs to bend them forward or backwards, fix that problem all together? Vs using museum putty.

I use putty myself but never tried to fix the actual figure first :-k
You can call me Jorge. Always remember to have fun!
Maui at Fundays 2019

Instagram: toys.r.us.kid

Hawkeye_13

Postby Hawkeye_13 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Lots of good advice on here

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Mon May 20, 2019 7:13 am

El_PANDA wrote:Thank you for the great post! The hair dryer technique definitely helped me fix a part of my pop that was slightly bent!

The hair dryer method works great to fix alot of out of wacky plastic. Just remember be very careful how close you hold the blow dryer and to be very patient to alternate direct heat and take a break. You want to heat it slowly so you don't over heat and melt the plastic.

Westlos420

Postby Westlos420 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:58 am

Great tips y’all! I used a eraser on a paint mark and it came right off!
Big Danny
Fundays 2017 - Making Fun World Premiere - FDO8LV-Fundays 2019
Dodgers for life!

IG: funko420

TomThoughts

Postby TomThoughts » Tue May 21, 2019 11:57 am

Just a tip about crazy glue-- I run a school makerspace, and I learned this tip at a training....

Crazy glue does have an incredible hold; however, the curing time can take longer than expected which makes it tough for elements that don't naturally sit together (like a base, etc.).

Using a small amount of baking soda will almost instantly dry/cure the crazy glue; it essentially sucks the moisture out of it. At the same time, it will leave a frosty/rougher surface, so you have to be prepared to sand, touch up, etc.
:freddy2:
Be EXCELLENT to each other.

Ricedemon

Postby Ricedemon » Tue May 21, 2019 2:47 pm

Wow! Definelty learned a lot from this thread. That Arya definetly got fixed cause of this thread!

Thepopninja

Postby Thepopninja » Wed May 22, 2019 1:19 pm

I used a blow dryer to straighten the sword on the ECCC Arya POP ... worked like a charm
\:D/ from the shadow realm.... enters ThePopNinja

Thepopninja

Postby Thepopninja » Wed May 22, 2019 1:20 pm

El_PANDA wrote:Thank you for the great post! The hair dryer technique definitely helped me fix a part of my pop that was slightly bent!

yes works great
\:D/ from the shadow realm.... enters ThePopNinja

Return to “Pop!”