Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Hgmaddhatter

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby Hgmaddhatter » Wed May 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but Nail Polish remover is great for taking off paint mistakes. Just make sure that the mistake is actually not a scratch because the Polish Remover will take it down to the base color.

thisdudeproper

Postby thisdudeproper » Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix a chipped funko nose?

https://ibb.co/1Tdp0sD

zombiemilkshake

Postby zombiemilkshake » Sun May 26, 2019 4:26 am

Great tips. Have used the hairdryer to get broken base pieces out of some of mine, too.

Paul_755

Postby Paul_755 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:43 pm

Stumbled on a repair.

So, I thought that grey line on the forehead of the new Winston from Ghostbusters was rogue paint scratch so I tried to remove it, long story short I needed a way to dull up the area over that grey line to match the rest of the head. I tried a brand new regular pink pencil eraser and it worked perfectly, it scuffed it enough to match the rest of the head.

Dunno if anyone else will have a similar issue with a shiny patch but just thought I’d share for my first post.

Hawkeye_13

Postby Hawkeye_13 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 am

Hgmaddhatter wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but Nail Polish remover is great for taking off paint mistakes. Just make sure that the mistake is actually not a scratch because the Polish Remover will take it down to the base color.

Do you think that would work on green blood splatter on that old hottopic predator?

BenLo

Postby BenLo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:40 am

Hgmaddhatter wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but Nail Polish remover is great for taking off paint mistakes. Just make sure that the mistake is actually not a scratch because the Polish Remover will take it down to the base color.

Great trip! Just go lightly over the mistake to not remove and base paint

Moviemakeupfx

Postby Moviemakeupfx » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:06 am

Mjacob78 wrote:
Mags wrote:
Mjacob78 wrote:So I have the flying tinkerbell in which the "pixie dust" is her stand that goes mid back. Well my cat knocked her off the shelf and the stand broke off by her back. Ive tried super glue and gorilla glue and nothing will hold it. Any ideas?

Did you give the glue enough time to cure? I bought my sister an Ernesto de la Cruz pop last year from a Toys R Us liquidation sale and somehow his legs had been snapped off (they were still in the box), so I borrowed a friend's E6000 glue and carefully glued the pop back together and propped it up in a location where it could cure for 24 hours without messing up the repair.

Either didn't let it sit long enough to cure, didn't get it realigned right when you glued it, or you need a stronger glue.

Well the damn cat also knocked over the NBC clown and he lost his legs and I was able to glue them back with no problem. I just think the clear stand maybe the way it broke right against her back and it won't hold up the pop weight so she's just lying on her side like she's posing lol.

I always find my glue gun to be very handy when it comes to putting humpty funko back together again. The great thing about a glue gun is it's easy to remove excess glue if you use too much or to add more if not enough.

FunkoMeansFun

Postby FunkoMeansFun » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Paul_755 wrote:Stumbled on a repair.

So, I thought that grey line on the forehead of the new Winston from Ghostbusters was rogue paint scratch so I tried to remove it, long story short I needed a way to dull up the area over that grey line to match the rest of the head. I tried a brand new regular pink pencil eraser and it worked perfectly, it scuffed it enough to match the rest of the head.

Dunno if anyone else will have a similar issue with a shiny patch but just thought I’d share for my first post.

Pencil erasers sometimes work really well.

You can also try the white pen erasers they sell. Just go slow and small areas at a time .

:freddy1: :freddy3: :freddy4:
:freddy3: Image

ImageImage

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 pm

My Social Media Freddy still won't stand up right after using the hot and cold water trick. Strange. Maybe I need to leave it in the cold water longer.
Hiya, I'm Julie! I cosplayed as Pennywise at Funko Fundays 2019! I'm an It completist but also love to collect things from other movies, TV shows, games, etc. that I like.

I'm also an aspiring artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias:

Instagram: @julie.swaglord.grimes
Twitter: @YeetGrimes
ImageImage

FunkoFresh253

Postby FunkoFresh253 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:44 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:My Social Media Freddy still won't stand up right after using the hot and cold water trick. Strange. Maybe I need to leave it in the cold water longer.

or try the museum putty trick.i had to use that for shuri, with her bobble head and pose she was soo off balance
ImageImage

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:27 am

FunkoFresh253 wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:My Social Media Freddy still won't stand up right after using the hot and cold water trick. Strange. Maybe I need to leave it in the cold water longer.

or try the museum putty trick.i had to use that for shuri, with her bobble head and pose she was soo off balance

Thank you, will do!
Hiya, I'm Julie! I cosplayed as Pennywise at Funko Fundays 2019! I'm an It completist but also love to collect things from other movies, TV shows, games, etc. that I like.

I'm also an aspiring artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias:

ImageImage

jjb11590

Postby jjb11590 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Great tip, thanks!

ripresa

Postby ripresa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:11 pm

Ack, internal pop images! I hadn't even thought of tinkering with the insides!

NoOtherOptions

Postby NoOtherOptions » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:58 pm

I’ve had some success with goo gone 2 for some residue on plastics. It’s a little safer than regular goo gone.

parrity

Postby parrity » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:08 pm

NoOtherOptions wrote:I’ve had some success with goo gone 2 for some residue on plastics. It’s a little safer than regular goo gone.

Same here. It also worked well to get some sticker residue off after a box swap.

NoOtherOptions

Postby NoOtherOptions » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:55 pm

parrity wrote:
NoOtherOptions wrote:I’ve had some success with goo gone 2 for some residue on plastics. It’s a little safer than regular goo gone.

Same here. It also worked well to get some sticker residue off after a box swap.

Did you have to swap stickers too like sdcc or anything?

parrity

Postby parrity » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:55 pm

NoOtherOptions wrote:
parrity wrote:

I've never tried with the bigger stickers like cons, I just did it for a few chase stickers when the boxes were messed up in shipping. Though I guess all sticker residue would be the same. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NoOtherOptions

Postby NoOtherOptions » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:01 pm

parrity wrote:
NoOtherOptions wrote:
parrity wrote:

I've never tried with the bigger stickers like cons, I just did it for a few chase stickers when the boxes were messed up in shipping. Though I guess all sticker residue would be the same. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:bounce: I did that with a porg chase. Box was destroyed. I think Cherie tried to eat him

Hawkeye_13

Postby Hawkeye_13 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:01 pm

Any tips on a partially drooping exclusive sticker?

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:07 pm

Pour some of the coffee out. He might be too heavy cuz of that.

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:10 pm

kastudillo wrote:Does anyone know how to fix a chrome pop when the chrome is faded in a spot

That's a great question. Like to see what people come up with help on this.

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 pm

nightbodega wrote:

lol lol lol

ImageImage

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:03 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:
nightbodega wrote:

lol lol lol

Are you applying the correct heat to SMF? Maybe you are not and that's why it returns to its original state.

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:04 pm

nightbodega wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
nightbodega wrote:

lol lol lol

Are you applying the correct heat to SMF? Maybe you are not and that's why it returns to its original state.

That's what I'm thinking.

ImageImage

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:08 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:lol lol lol

I'm guessing you are not applying that much heat. I've used heat guns for other things and depends on what you want to change, it takes either more time getting heat or increase the heat.

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:47 pm

nightbodega wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
nightbodega wrote:

I'm guessing you are not applying that much heat. I've used heat guns for other things and depends on what you want to change, it takes either more time getting heat or increase the heat.

I think I need to increase the heat. The amount of heat I use is probably just hitting the surface.

ImageImage

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:48 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:That's what I'm thinking.

I think I need to increase the heat. The amount of heat I use is probably just hitting the surface.

give it a try, or buy a cheap pop and test it with that one.

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:23 pm

nightbodega wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
nightbodega wrote:

give it a try, or buy a cheap pop and test it with that one.

Good idea. Thanks!

ImageImage

digithor

Postby digithor » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:41 pm

nightbodega wrote:

haha this would be a great time for a smily emoji with a coffe cup cheer or tipping over.
SDCC 2018, 2019
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:15 pm

digithor wrote:
nightbodega wrote:

haha this would be a great time for a smily emoji with a coffe cup cheer or tipping over.

It would. Just need to find those emoji's.

ariana grande

Postby ariana grande » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:03 am

My Yami Yugi from Amazon came today with a dent on top of the box :(
It's not that much but it gets to me the more I look at it :idea:
Do y'all think I should return it and ask for a replacement or should I just keep it :idea:
I might just get him out of the box

ariana grande

Postby ariana grande » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:07 am

My Yami Yugi from Amazon came today with a dent on top of the box :(
Do y'all think I should return it and ask for a replacement or should I just keep it :idea:

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:21 pm

That would drive me crazy!!!! Maybe just buy another and keep the damaged one OOB.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchsed in less than 5 minutes. LOL \:D/

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:11 pm

ariana grande wrote:My Yami Yugi from Amazon came today with a dent on top of the box :(

Keep it. I thought I saw someone take out the box and kind of flatten the box to get rid of the dents. They could have been minor dents though.

evalicious25

Postby evalicious25 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm gonna need the info on that trick Julie! I took SMF out for some photos last night and he doesn't want to stand. I'm sure I can find a fix for him but thought if you have a solution, maybe you can pass it along.
Image Image ImageImageImageImage
Funko Funatic
FunkoFunkast Listener
Never-ending search for the ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie!
ISO: Earth Day Wall-E, GITD Zero, Bao, Holiday Groot

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:48 pm

evalicious25 wrote:

I'm gonna need the info on that trick Julie! I took SMF out for some photos last night and he doesn't want to stand. I'm sure I can find a fix for him but thought if you have a solution, maybe you can pass it along.

I gotcha!

Basically, you boil some water and put Freddy's feet in it until you can bend them. Mold them so that he can stand properly and then quickly put his feet in ice cold water so that they keep their shape.

It didn't work when I did it but I think its because I didn't heat his feet fully. Good luck!

ImageImage

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:32 pm

evalicious25 wrote:

I'm surprised she was awake to answer.

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:40 pm

nightbodega wrote:
evalicious25 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA throwin' shade on the forums I see?! lol lol lol Jk!

ImageImage

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:44 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
evalicious25 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA throwin' shade on the forums I see?! lol lol lol Jk!

lol lol

ucmerolling117

Postby ucmerolling117 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Does anyone know a good brand of paint to use to fix bad paint jobs?

Return to “Pop!”