Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
evalicious25

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby evalicious25 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:04 pm

nightbodega wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
I'm surprised she was awake to answer.

HAHAHAHAHAHA throwin' shade on the forums I see?! lol lol lol Jk!

lol lol

Well it is con season so she's on high alert. lol
Image Image ImageImageImageImage
Funko Funatic
FunkoFunkast Listener
Never-ending search for the ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie!
ISO: Earth Day Wall-E, GITD Zero, Bao, Holiday Groot

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm

evalicious25 wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHA throwin' shade on the forums I see?! lol lol lol Jk!

lol lol

I'm ready to go! lol lol lol
Hiya, I'm Julie! I cosplayed as Pennywise at Funko Fundays 2019! I'm an It completist but also love to collect things from other movies, TV shows, games, etc. that I like.

I'm also an aspiring artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias:

Instagram: @julie.swaglord.grimes
Twitter: @YeetGrimes
ImageImage

evalicious25

Postby evalicious25 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:12 pm

YeetGrimes wrote:
evalicious25 wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
lol lol

No one is every completely ready to go for SDCC.
Image Image ImageImageImageImage
Funko Funatic
FunkoFunkast Listener
Never-ending search for the ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie!
ISO: Earth Day Wall-E, GITD Zero, Bao, Holiday Groot

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 pm

evalicious25 wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
evalicious25 wrote:

It's so true. I'm not ready AT ALL lol lol lol
Hiya, I'm Julie! I cosplayed as Pennywise at Funko Fundays 2019! I'm an It completist but also love to collect things from other movies, TV shows, games, etc. that I like.

I'm also an aspiring artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias:

ImageImage

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 pm

evalicious25 wrote:
nightbodega wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHA throwin' shade on the forums I see?! lol lol lol Jk!

lol lol

True lol lol lol. But I don't see you here that often. Welcome back.

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:49 pm

evalicious25 wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:
evalicious25 wrote:

For sure.

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:13 am

Hey everyone. I’m new. I received my sad forky from toy story today, but the youngin got to the postage box, gave it a decent shake.

Not much damage really but window box scratches, so I was curious if anyone’s got a window trick. I was thinking windex would do the best.

I’ve used magic eraser on a window in the past. But only to remove a small splash of mud, the eraser was wet, and I rubbed so softly, took ages.

Anyway, after thinking, I don’t think the eraser would fix window scratches that go into the plastic.

Anyone got a tip, or used a eraser till they made a hole in the window?

Mags

Postby Mags » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm

If it's scratches, I've found that gently rubbing a cotton ball with some nail polish remover on the scratch helps. That's also a good fix for a scratched watch face, funnily enough. Just be careful so you don't rub a hole into the plastic.

LovesTheSnow76

Postby LovesTheSnow76 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 am

YeetGrimes wrote:
evalicious25 wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:I'm ready to go! lol lol lol

It's so true. I'm not ready AT ALL lol lol lol

So true! If only there was time beforehand for sleep!

Shoriyuken

Postby Shoriyuken » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:45 pm

Mags wrote:If it's scratches, I've found that gently rubbing a cotton ball with some nail polish remover on the scratch helps. That's also a good fix for a scratched watch face, funnily enough. Just be careful so you don't rub a hole into the plastic.

Wouldn't that also get rid of the color though?
IG: chasingvynl
Hello my name is Ken!
Pop Count: Too much
Main Line: GOT, WD, Disney, Simpsons, DBZ/DBS, Anime, Naruto
SDCC 17, SDCC 18, SDCC 19, ECCC 18, CRX 19
ISO: Anime protos

Image Image

Shoriyuken

Postby Shoriyuken » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:51 pm

jaimzzy wrote:Have you guys tried replacing the plastic window of a certain box to another one? What did you use to safely remove it then what kind of adhesive did you use to put it back?

That's a very hard task to do bc of the carton peeling off from the glued screen.
Hello my name is Ken!

Image Image

Mags

Postby Mags » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Shoriyuken wrote:
Mags wrote:If it's scratches, I've found that gently rubbing a cotton ball with some nail polish remover on the scratch helps. That's also a good fix for a scratched watch face, funnily enough. Just be careful so you don't rub a hole into the plastic.

It's on the window of the box. There's no color there.

Shoriyuken

Postby Shoriyuken » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 am

Mags wrote:
Shoriyuken wrote:

It's on the window of the box. There's no color there.

Ahhh I got it. Thank you!
Hello my name is Ken!

Image Image

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 am

Thanks mags. Will give it a go. And swear to not hold you responsible if I make it looks worse, heh.

Shoriyuken wrote:
jaimzzy wrote:Have you guys tried replacing the plastic window of a certain box to another one? What did you use to safely remove it then what kind of adhesive did you use to put it back?

That's a very hard task to do bc of the carton peeling off from the glued screen.

I’ve done it before, it can be tedious, and some of the heads on the box don’t match up right, you’d want the use of one that the front head picture (on box) is smaller than the one you want the window on.

Little bit of pva glue worked fine for me. But I’ll repeat it can be tedious. Take your time and be careful.

If it’s looking good, but may need some drying, placing the pop and it’s plastic cover back in will push the window slightly.

Use the least amount of glue possible, when it presses against where you want it to go, sometimes it may press out onto the part of the box window showing. If that’s the case, no window is my solution, with soft pop protector.

I’m never fussed with what the inside looks like once done, so I use the glue as far away from the part of the box window that will show.

It can be done, and I’m sure after a few goes you’ll master it.

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:46 pm

I recently traded my Brook from One Piece proto I got from Fundays for a Baskin Robins exclusive Steve proto. He sadly doesn't stand on his own but that's not something a little hot water can't fix!

ImageImage

D4nnym4n123

Postby D4nnym4n123 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:21 pm

MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!
My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

This will definitely come in handy thank for putting this out here for the community.
Happy Hunting everybody! And may the force and Freddy gods be with you!

ucmerolling117

Postby ucmerolling117 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 pm

Anyone know good paints to use to touch up paint jobs?

Funkofan21

Postby Funkofan21 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:16 pm

D4nnym4n123 wrote:
MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!
My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

This will definitely come in handy thank for putting this out here for the community.

Thanks!!
:freddy2:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kastudillo

Postby kastudillo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:25 pm

Love that everyone is helping eachother out!
Love anything Funko!!! :freddy3:

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:44 am

I have a starters paint kit that’s been lying around for ages. Games Workshop I think.

I used this on a few to make some customs, Ol Man Vault Gramps. Went over his blue suit with a flesh red, gold chrome shoes and a grey base went well over black hair.

I used old dye on fake Vegeta ssgss, got some cool effects with purple dye and his blue hair. Hard to work with though.

If you’d match the colour with something from GW I think it would be a great touch up paint.

ucmerolling117

Postby ucmerolling117 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:13 pm

FFreddyFan wrote:I have a starters paint kit that’s been lying around for ages. Games Workshop I think.

I used this on a few to make some customs, Ol Man Vault Gramps. Went over his blue suit with a flesh red, gold chrome shoes and a grey base went well over black hair.

I used old dye on fake Vegeta ssgss, got some cool effects with purple dye and his blue hair. Hard to work with though.

If you’d match the colour with something from GW I think it would be a great touch up paint.

thank for the info

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:28 am

Eucalyptus oil and some cotton buds done well getting the grime from a price sticker slapped right in the middle of the window....... think the employee was a tad edgy it wasn’t his pay day, and he didn’t see the chase (music to my ears..) ...... needed a brand new surgical scalpel to get the peeling started.

Whoever put it there either used price stickers with Tarzan’s grip as the adhesive, or pushed as hard as they could for a while, lucky it wasn’t too hard to do any window damage.

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 am

The stickers on my NYCC Black Hole Vincent and Maximillian are starting to peel off slightly. These are the only Pops I have ever had that have done this, so I am not sure what kind of glue or adhesive to use - if anyone else has had this issue, what did you use?
Pops I want Funko to make:

Taylor Swift, Q from Impractical Jokers, Danger Mouse

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:18 am

Does anything work to clean permanent marker off the window of a pop.

Funky_funko52

Postby Funky_funko52 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Does anyone have kool aid man. I got mine yesterday and theres something rattling inside him. I figured it may be on purpose to sound like ice but someone told me thats not normal. I cant see anywhere on the outside thats messed up so...is that normal. If not, is there a fix?
Funky funko 4 life \:D/

Mags

Postby Mags » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Funky_funko52 wrote:Does anyone have kool aid man. I got mine yesterday and theres something rattling inside him. I figured it may be on purpose to sound like ice but someone told me thats not normal. I cant see anywhere on the outside thats messed up so...is that normal. If not, is there a fix?

It's probably just a bit of plastic left over from the manufacturing process.

Funky_funko52

Postby Funky_funko52 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Mags wrote:
Funky_funko52 wrote:Does anyone have kool aid man. I got mine yesterday and theres something rattling inside him. I figured it may be on purpose to sound like ice but someone told me thats not normal. I cant see anywhere on the outside thats messed up so...is that normal. If not, is there a fix?

I figured. Not an issue, especially since rattle is kinda cool.
Funky funko 4 life \:D/

FunkQFied

Postby FunkQFied » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:08 am

That’s good knowledge!

digithor

Postby digithor » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:47 am

Mags wrote:

Usually the case, or just crack him open anyways to make sure. lol
SDCC 2018, 2019
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars

D4nnym4n123

Postby D4nnym4n123 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:52 pm

kastudillo wrote:Love that everyone is helping eachother out!

Yea it's a nice community to be a part of. I love Funko! :freddy3:
Happy Hunting everybody! And may the force and Freddy gods be with you!

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:09 am

TJLAUTERBACH wrote:Does anything work to clean permanent marker off the window of a pop.

Try gentle cotton wool, or cotton buds, with eucalyptus oil.

If that doesn’t work there’s probably a permanent marker remover designed just for it.

Gee you gotta be careful with those windows. Otherwise you end up with scratches everywhere.

But I have been informed earlier in this thread that cotyonnwool and nail polish remover, I’m still too scared to try such a strong chem.

Mags

Postby Mags » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:20 pm

FFreddyFan wrote:
TJLAUTERBACH wrote:Does anything work to clean permanent marker off the window of a pop.

If that doesn’t work there’s probably a permanent marker remover designed just for it.

Gee you gotta be careful with those windows. Otherwise you end up with scratches everywhere.

But I have been informed earlier in this thread that cotyonnwool and nail polish remover, I’m still too scared to try such a strong chem.

If you use a very small amount of nail polish remover and are gentle with the cotton ball, you'll be fine.

kuroneko44

Postby kuroneko44 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:05 am

One of my pops with a huge nose left a paint mark on the plastic protector, does anyone know how to remove from the inner plastic?
SDCC 2005-2019

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:59 am

Any one know how to safely buff out micro scratches on the plastic?

I wouldn't normally go this far but it's for some pops of value :\
You can call me Jorge. Always remember to have fun!
Maui at Fundays 2019

Instagram: toys.r.us.kid

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:01 am

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks, Mags!
Maui at Fundays 2019

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am

Mags wrote:
FFreddyFan wrote:

If you use a very small amount of nail polish remover and are gentle with the cotton ball, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try.

DaMan90

Postby DaMan90 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 am

Hi friends, how can i repair this vegeta Black?
https://imgur.com/a/3rWhkTY
I think is indelible ink.
Thanks in advance :)

Mags

Postby Mags » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:

Just be careful so you don't remove the paint!

Mags

Postby Mags » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:17 pm

DaMan90 wrote:Hi friends, how can i repair this vegeta Black?
https://imgur.com/a/3rWhkTY
I think is indelible ink.
Thanks in advance :)

Have you tried a magic eraser? Luckily enough that's on the base color of the pop so you don't need to worry about accidentally taking paint off.

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:55 am

Mags wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:

Just be careful so you don't remove the paint!

Would you happen to know if this yellow's the window over time? The exposure to chemicals?
Maui at Fundays 2019

Return to “Pop!”