Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
MidpointCollectibles

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby MidpointCollectibles » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:31 pm

Is there any way to fix damage to a pop! box window?

Mags

Postby Mags » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:43 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:
Mags wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:
This is exactly what I needed. Thanks, Mags!

Just be careful so you don't remove the paint!

Would you happen to know if this yellow's the window over time? The exposure to chemicals?

It shouldn't. Usually plastic yellows over time due to sun exposure.

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:20 am

Mags wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:
Mags wrote:Just be careful so you don't remove the paint!

Would you happen to know if this yellow's the window over time? The exposure to chemicals?

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thank you.
I know some glue can turn yellow over time too so I wondered if this could potentially have the same affect. But I think it's safe :)
You can call me Jorge. Always remember to have fun!
Maui at Fundays 2019

Instagram: toys.r.us.kid

kristineisjoy

Postby kristineisjoy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 am

great info here thanks guys

4riel4ttack

Postby 4riel4ttack » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm

My SDCC Toucan broke apart at his torso when I -gasp- took him OOB :( What would be the best glue to use to put him back together?
"If the apocalypse comes, beep me!" - Buffy

Mags

Postby Mags » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:18 pm

4riel4ttack wrote:My SDCC Toucan broke apart at his torso when I -gasp- took him OOB :( What would be the best glue to use to put him back together?

E6000 or Gorilla Glue. Glue the pop back together and then make sure it's propped together in such a way that it doesn't shift and allow the glue to bond for at least 24 hours. I recommend putting the pop back in the plastic insert and then propping it up so the glue doesn't accidentally bind it to the insert.

ssmart619

Postby ssmart619 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Hello everyone! So I just read through several pages and also searched some but wanted to see if anyone else had success with removing scratches from the display window. I saw someone post a video using Pristine which seemed to work well but I could not find it here in the US. I also saw someone mention cotton ball and nail polish remover. What do you use?

TomThoughts

Postby TomThoughts » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:22 am

ssmart619 wrote:Hello everyone! So I just read through several pages and also searched some but wanted to see if anyone else had success with removing scratches from the display window. I saw someone post a video using Pristine which seemed to work well but I could not find it here in the US. I also saw someone mention cotton ball and nail polish remover. What do you use?

Following this. I’ve heard about the nail polish remover, but it just freaks me out a bit. One drop could mangle a box (I would think). TBH: I thought scratches were sort of permanent, unless you could literally fill them in.
:freddy2:
Be EXCELLENT to each other.

ssmart619

Postby ssmart619 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:26 am

TomThoughts wrote:
ssmart619 wrote:Hello everyone! So I just read through several pages and also searched some but wanted to see if anyone else had success with removing scratches from the display window. I saw someone post a video using Pristine which seemed to work well but I could not find it here in the US. I also saw someone mention cotton ball and nail polish remover. What do you use?

Following this. I’ve heard about the nail polish remover, but it just freaks me out a bit. One drop could mangle a box (I would think). TBH: I thought scratches were sort of permanent, unless you could literally fill them in.

Same here, I never thought about it until I saw the video using Pristine here in the forums somewhere. It was like magic!

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Blake85 wrote:Yeah magic eraser works wonders especially on white pops with markings

Magic eraser takes care of everything !! I swear they were invented by aliens!!!

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:12 pm

ssmart619 wrote:
TomThoughts wrote:

Same here, I never thought about it until I saw the video using Pristine here in the forums somewhere. It was like magic!

I have yet to buy a dIY pop!!! I need to get in on this

Shoriyuken

Postby Shoriyuken » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for Pops that doesn't quite stand with or without a stand it came from? I tried bending and confirming it so it would stand. It works for awhile but after that it goes back to its original form. Thanks everyone!
IG: chasingvynl
Hello my name is Ken!
Pop Count: Too much
Main Line: GOT, WD, Disney, Simpsons, DBZ/DBS, Anime, Naruto
SDCC 17, SDCC 18, SDCC 19, ECCC 18, CRX 19
ISO: Anime protos

Image Image

MonkeyT

Postby MonkeyT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:37 pm

Great tread, I know a lot of people will find all this useful.
:freddy3:

ssmart619

Postby ssmart619 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:19 pm

BestDadEver wrote:
ssmart619 wrote:
TomThoughts wrote:

Not sure about DIY pops, I am actually referring to official funko pop display boxes that sometimes have scratches on them from shelf-wear or what not.

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:26 am

ssmart619 wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
ssmart619 wrote:

Not sure about DIY pops, I am actually referring to official funko pop display boxes that sometimes have scratches on them from shelf-wear or what not.

Awww. I have yet to last any pop box fix!! I usually damage them more when I try

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:21 pm

BestDadEver wrote:
Blake85 wrote:Yeah magic eraser works wonders especially on white pops with markings

Magic eraser takes care of everything !! I swear they were invented by aliens!!!

Yes, they are awesome. I recently bought some OOB pops with some pen and marker on them and the magic eraser took care of it.

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Ok so the sticker on my Kang and Kodos pop is coming off. Any suggestions on what glue I should use to keep it from falling off.

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:20 am

Haven’t had that yet, but I could imagine the right amount would be important, don’t want any traces of the glue smeared around the last bit of the sticker that’s put down.

Baby wipes have been handy for me lately. Just some brands stay away from. The good ones have too much liquid in them. Nearly end up staining the box, then you go to dry it, and it warps :-S
Cheapies ain’t that great in the opposite sense, less liquid and some are course, causing scratches.
Get the ‘middle class’ ones and you should be good.
The ones with too much moisture can be handy when there’s a big chuck stuck on, but have toilet paper on stand by to mop up the excess liquid.

YeetGrimes

Postby YeetGrimes » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:45 pm

My Baby Groot's head fell off when I was cleaning out my car lol My guess was the heat he'd experienced. The spring slowly became deformed and then eventually the glue attaching the head melted (I assume). I probably could've fixed him but it would've taken some time and I was in the middle of a move. Anyone else have this problem before and found a solution?
Hiya, I'm Julie! I cosplayed as Pennywise at Funko Fundays 2019! I'm an It completist but also love to collect things from other movies, TV shows, games, etc. that I like.

I'm also an aspiring artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias:

Instagram: @julie.swaglord.grimes
Twitter: @YeetGrimes
ImageImage

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:58 pm

TomThoughts wrote:

Keep the remover on the window, very small amounts to start, it doesn’t foam up and expand, which has happen to me with other cleaners, the foam caused wet, warped boxes.

Nail polish remover as last resort, now days I use baby wipes and toilet paper.

I’ve removed quite a few, some turned out ok, some not worth the time. If your spending too much time on one scratch, I think it’s time to pull the pin...

I do believe there’s some scratches that will never move, unless you put a hole in the box. That’s when I go to the wreckers box and find a replacement window..

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:18 pm

Sticky velcro for the win!
Midget Wrangl3r

Darthawz

Postby Darthawz » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:04 pm

My 10inch thanos is always falling over would the museum putty still work or is there something else that can hold it in place

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:46 am

Mags wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:
Mags wrote:Just be careful so you don't remove the paint!

Finally got around to testing this out and it worked great! You don't even need to wipe the window with too much force. The micro scratches pretty much go away instantly. In my case at least. Now I gotta go through the rest of my pops and do the same. lol
You can call me Jorge. Always remember to have fun!
Maui at Fundays 2019

Instagram: toys.r.us.kid

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 am

Howardthepop wrote:Ok so the sticker on my Kang and Kodos pop is coming off. Any suggestions on what glue I should use to keep it from falling off.

I honestly have no idea. I have a couple pops with the same issue and have that fear of messing with them because I will some how make it worse.

ssmart619

Postby ssmart619 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:23 pm

FFreddyFan wrote:
TomThoughts wrote:

Keep the remover on the window, very small amounts to start, it doesn’t foam up and expand, which has happen to me with other cleaners, the foam caused wet, warped boxes.

I’ve removed quite a few, some turned out ok, some not worth the time. If your spending too much time on one scratch, I think it’s time to pull the pin...

I do believe there’s some scratches that will never move, unless you put a hole in the box. That’s when I go to the wreckers box and find a replacement window..

how does the baby wipes and toilet paper work for removing scratches on display window? any particular wipes? I saw Toys R Us Kid just tried the nail polish remover and it sounds like it worked well.

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 am

BestDadEver wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:Ok so the sticker on my Kang and Kodos pop is coming off. Any suggestions on what glue I should use to keep it from falling off.

I honestly have no idea. I have a couple pops with the same issue and have that fear of messing with them because I will some how make it worse.

I tried a glue stick and it actually worked. Hopefully it doesn't come off.

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Howardthepop wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:

Did it leave any residue?

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:05 am

BestDadEver wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:I honestly have no idea. I have a couple pops with the same issue and have that fear of messing with them because I will some how make it worse.

It's been 3 days since I used a glue stick and the sticker is still on. No residue was left. I put the glue on the sticker and not the clear window.

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:21 am

ssmart619 wrote:
FFreddyFan wrote:
TomThoughts wrote:

how does the baby wipes and toilet paper work for removing scratches on display window? any particular wipes? I saw Toys R Us Kid just tried the nail polish remover and it sounds like it worked well.

Dunno why it works, maybe it’s not, and the scratches I’m removing are just some kind of fluff/air debris...?

I’ll use a baby wipe first, and see how it looks after.
Maybe some of these scratches have some build up of dust and once removed, the scratch turns out to not be so bad.

It was kind of a harm reduction post, just pointing out there’s other things that make box windows turn up better then they came. And avoid having to use chemicals that give you a headache. Got one the other day. A scratch on one of my Rat Finks. Gave up from the headache. Paid too much for the Rat Fink imo from condition, but, atleast I have them all now. TT stickered.

ssmart619

Postby ssmart619 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:41 pm

FFreddyFan wrote:
ssmart619 wrote:
FFreddyFan wrote:

Dunno why it works, maybe it’s not, and the scratches I’m removing are just some kind of fluff/air debris...?

I’ll use a baby wipe first, and see how it looks after.
Maybe some of these scratches have some build up of dust and once removed, the scratch turns out to not be so bad.

It was kind of a harm reduction post, just pointing out there’s other things that make box windows turn up better then they came. And avoid having to use chemicals that give you a headache. Got one the other day. A scratch on one of my Rat Finks. Gave up from the headache. Paid too much for the Rat Fink imo from condition, but, atleast I have them all now. TT stickered.

gotcha, sorry I did not mean why but how your process of using baby wipes/toilet paper goes haha. sounds like just wipe with baby wipe and dry with toilet paper? i will try it for the same reason you do and then nail polish remover as last resort.

Lory_pródiga

Postby Lory_pródiga » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:51 pm

I have a problem with this funko. she came with her legs badly seated. I already tried to fit it, but it is glued. Does anyone have any tips to solve this problem?

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:10 am

ssmart619 wrote:gotcha, sorry I did not mean why but how your process of using baby wipes/toilet paper goes haha. sounds like just wipe with baby wipe and dry with toilet paper? i will try it for the same reason you do and then nail polish remover as last resort.

Alls goods. Have you thought of a window swap, that’s if you have a spare box with decent window, could pick up a pop that you like, and want to keep, cheap, due to box (hopefully not window) damage.
Now you’ve got a spare window, and can take out a pop you like for display.

Bit of a ‘work in progress’ kind of thing, but after collecting for a while I have a few windows I’d sacrifice for a good pop that I wanted looking nice in its box and all.

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:49 am

Howardthepop wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:

It's been 3 days since I used a glue stick and the sticker is still on. No residue was left. I put the glue on the sticker and not the clear window.

Oh ok cool. Thanks for the Martha Stewart lesson. Haha love it.

ssmart619

Postby ssmart619 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:02 am

FFreddyFan wrote: Alls goods. Have you thought of a window swap, that’s if you have a spare box with decent window, could pick up a pop that you like, and want to keep, cheap, due to box (hopefully not window) damage.
Now you’ve got a spare window, and can take out a pop you like for display.

Bit of a ‘work in progress’ kind of thing, but after collecting for a while I have a few windows I’d sacrifice for a good pop that I wanted looking nice in its box and all.

i have actually, and was hoping that would be a last last resort haha. so what is that process like? I read some will say to put the box in the freezer which will allow the window to sort of snap right out? And i forget the glue, is it elmers glue stick stuff?

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:46 pm

BestDadEver wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:Did it leave any residue?

Hope it works. My sticker hasn't fallen off :D

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Howardthepop wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:

I’m sure it will be good. I tried using it in a couple and so far so good

chrislinkouswvu13

Postby chrislinkouswvu13 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:39 am

Magic eraser works great just don’t scrub REAL hard haha
:freddy3: ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:02 am

Oh how far weve come lol
Midget Wrangl3r

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:47 am

BestDadEver wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:Oh ok cool. Thanks for the Martha Stewart lesson. Haha love it.

Nice. Glad it worked :D

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:11 am

Howardthepop wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
Howardthepop wrote:

Nice. Glad it worked :D