The glowy Pop goodness thread :-)

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Caius_Cosades

Re: The glowy Pop goodness thread :-)

Postby Caius_Cosades » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:25 pm

treswright wrote:
alex_dewitt wrote:Hey tres, I really have to pay respect to your awesome glow pictures that you post all the time! All of them look magnificent!

That being said, I'm really really sad about how these particular pieces were handled and that I missed out.

Thank you! And yes I completely agree that it's disappointing that some of these are so hard to acquire, especially for those of you who are overseas. But even living here in the US I cringe to think about how much I spent on the blue and white ones. If not for my love of glowy Pops I would have passed for sure. I watched eBay daily and waited patiently for relatively good deals to show up as a buy-it-now and pounced when they did, but they were still pricey. Personally I don't believe in limiting Pops to certain numbers like these, make enough to where an average collector can get them for a reasonable price when they come out. If they go up in value later then fine, but none of us should have to pay 3 figures right out of the gate for an exclusive that cost a few dollars to make.

Caius_Cosades wrote:My new GitD Amethyst quickly charged by my relatively weak black light from Walmart. Not the brightest glow, but definitely a very cool new icy blue color.

Wow, you got her already? Nice! Steven and Garnet are pretty weak glowers too, but I still need the whole set :-)

Yea, got her from a seller on Mercari. Her glow is kina weak, but I've noticed that playing around with the type of light I charge her with changes her brightness. She seems to get a better, brighter charge from a fluorescent light bulb than from my black light. Need to invest in a baseball case and a UV LED black light strip like the glorious display you showed, lol. Wonder how well that'd work for her (and Steven and Garnet for that matter).

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:41 pm

There we go, picture of her after about 30 seconds held up to a fluorescent light bulb.

swaynomics930

Postby swaynomics930 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:33 am

I heard that one of the spider Gwens glow I can't find a picture, anyone can point me in the right direction.

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:14 am

Alright, here's my newly arrived glow in the dark Pearl!

alex_dewitt

Postby alex_dewitt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:35 am

Caius_Cosades wrote:Alright, here's my newly arrived glow in the dark Pearl!

Omg, the yellow glow is amazing! I've only recently become a huge Steven Universe fan and I love the show. Bought GitD Steven and Garnet and the glow isn't that strong on them but now I need Amethyst and Pearl to complete my Steven Univere glow set!

Popsaysyee

Postby Popsaysyee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:46 am

Seeing all these glow pops makes me want more glow pops! I only have about 4 GITD pops. Now I need more!!
Jayson

ImageImageImage

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:29 am

I actually just finished season 1 of Steven Universe and have become very interested in the glow pops. Even more now seeing the pics!
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:44 am

Here are a couple of shots of the Walmart MLP exclusives (lights on and off). The yellow one glows nicely, but the blue one doesn't glow that great and the purple one is terrible. I took the second pic right after turning the lights off so it's a little deceiving, because within 10 seconds or so the purple one fades to where you can't even see it anymore.

Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

talafang

Postby talafang » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:40 pm

I'm currently waiting on my glow Pearl and Amethyst. But I do have a HUGE question. I just received my UV leds- but I have no idea how to wire them. Most things I get already have an adapter of some sort. So message me or tell me here how you can wire up your UV leds to a power adapter. Thank you so much.

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:15 pm

talafang wrote:I'm currently waiting on my glow Pearl and Amethyst. But I do have a HUGE question. I just received my UV leds- but I have no idea how to wire them. Most things I get already have an adapter of some sort. So message me or tell me here how you can wire up your UV leds to a power adapter. Thank you so much.

I'd like to know this aswell. Thinking about getting some myself.

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:15 pm

I ordered 2 GitD Pearls for my collection today, let's hope they come in quickly.

Also, some stores seem to have a waiting list for her. I knew she was a popular character, but that's just weird.

talafang

Postby talafang » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:40 pm

TheMerchantMan wrote:I ordered 2 GitD Pearls for my collection today, let's hope they come in quickly.

Also, some stores seem to have a waiting list for her. I knew she was a popular character, but that's just weird.

I saw Pearl's reg for like 2 secs and then now I see the GITD. I'm getting them asap because she is super hard to find in the wild.

talafang

Postby talafang » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:28 pm

Caius_Cosades wrote:
talafang wrote:I'm currently waiting on my glow Pearl and Amethyst. But I do have a HUGE question. I just received my UV leds- but I have no idea how to wire them. Most things I get already have an adapter of some sort. So message me or tell me here how you can wire up your UV leds to a power adapter. Thank you so much.

Hey, I'm picking this up to see if this works. It should.

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Just wanted to say I am a sucker for GITD Pops and this thread is awesome :D
Cons: Comikaze' 15, SDCC '16, NYCC '16, Blizzcon '16, ECCC '17, D23 '17, SDCC '17, Blizzcon '17, ECCC '18, SDCC' 18, NYCC '18, DCON '18, SDCC '19, NYCC' 21, SDCC '22
Events: Fundays '16, Fright Night '16, Fundays '17, HQ Grand Opening '17, Fundays '18, Fundays '19, Fundays '22

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:02 pm

talafang wrote:
Caius_Cosades wrote:

Alright, appreciate the heads-up! You'll have to let me know how it goes when you get it and maybe post pics of your new display when it's ready :D

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm traveling this weekend but when I get back Monday I'll post the info on calculating transformer size and links to the ones I use. Did the strips you bought come with any kind of connector pre-attached?

XavierSoup

Postby XavierSoup » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:16 am

Those Ponies glow great Tres!!! What an awesome set.

talafang

Postby talafang » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:02 am

Caius_Cosades wrote:
talafang wrote:
Caius_Cosades wrote:

Alright, appreciate the heads-up! You'll have to let me know how it goes when you get it and maybe post pics of your new display when it's ready :D

Will do. :D I just have to pick up my case. If it all works- I'll tell you exactly everything I bought (if you don't already have the leds) so it will be way simpler because I did have to guess somethings.

treswright wrote:I'm traveling this weekend but when I get back Monday I'll post the info on calculating transformer size and links to the ones I use. Did the strips you bought come with any kind of connector pre-attached?

Mine did not. Just the wires. When I bought them is said 12V 2A so I just looked up an adapter for it. I was hoping the seller would guide me to an answer but they didn't. I had to watch a few videos and do some searching before landing on that, because I was 100% clueless.

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Oh, man. Pearl is cool looking!
I'm Josh

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Just wondering, has anyone else had a hard time getting a picture of the GITD White Lantern Firestorm. I think that because of the blue glow, my camera doesn't see it.
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

TheMerchantMan

Postby TheMerchantMan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:49 am

talafang wrote:
TheMerchantMan wrote:I ordered 2 GitD Pearls for my collection today, let's hope they come in quickly.

I saw Pearl's reg for like 2 secs and then now I see the GITD. I'm getting them asap because she is super hard to find in the wild.

I stopped by a HT near my workplace on Saturday and they had about 10 of 'em in stock (I picked up two with good paint jobs due to a BOGO 50% off deal they're doing), I called my local HTs today and they had them in stock as well without a waiting list and at about the same numbers. Seems a bit odd if you ask me.

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:56 am

jkcohen626 wrote:Just wondering, has anyone else had a hard time getting a picture of the GITD White Lantern Firestorm. I think that because of the blue glow, my camera doesn't see it.

I posted a pic of mine a couple pages back, it's not a very strong glower and there's not that much on it that glows so it is difficult to grab a pic of. I posed it with some other glowers, that helps the camera to focus on it and also gives others an idea of how it ranks in glowability (I wonder how many words I've made up in this thread lol )

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:56 am

OK, so here's a quick tutorial on glow LEDs and transformers. First, I've mentioned it in this thread before but I only buy UV LEDs from here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ributes/31

They are not cheap, but they work really well. I've read reviews of other UV LEDs (especially on Amazon) that were really just purple LEDs and did not charge glowing stuff very well or at all. So be careful where you buy your LEDs. Note that if you buy from the above, make sure you're selecting the "UV" lights, not blue, green, etc.

You also have to select the length you want, there's a choice of 3 lengths. A baseball bat case takes about a 3' long strip. The strips can be cut with regular scissors after every 3rd LED. There's a dashed line printed on the strip showing where you can cut.

To power the LED strip you need a transformer. The transformer size is based on how many LEDs you have and how much they draw. This can get a little confusing because the draw can be different depending on the length of LED strip, but as a rule of thumb you can use 1.5 watts/foot. I use around 15' of LED strip to light a single Detolf case. So that would be:

15 x 1.5 = 22.5 watts

Doesn't sound like much, right? I mean that's about half the wattage of a typical incandescent bulb you'd screw into a lamp. That's the beauty of LEDs, you get a lot of light for a very low energy draw. Anyway, for a single Detolf case or anything smaller than that (like my UV baseball bat case) I use one of these transformers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OW ... UTF8&psc=1

If you're trying to order everything from SuperBright they have a transformer that will work too, it just costs more:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... owersupply

It's OK for the transformer to be bigger than needed, but you don't want it to be smaller. Why? Because if it's too small it will either not power the lights at all or will make them blink on and off. Ask how I know lol

So I do a lot of soldering but that's a skill that takes a long time to master and I'm sure most people don't want to risk burning their house down to wire up a case lol Luckily there are some clips available for LED strips that make life easier. Please note that if you buy the strip from the above place it comes with a connector wired to each end. These are LC2 connectors and look like this:

Also note that the transformer DOES NOT come with that connector, it comes with a barrel connector (see pic above). You need this adaptor to mate the two:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... connectors

So what if you order a really long strip and want to use it to light other stuff? Once you cut it then only the end piece has the pre-wired connector, so how do you power the rest? Luckily they make a clip adaptor for that:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... connectors

That plastic clip snaps over the end of your cut LED strip and then can plug into a transformer.

If you're powering over 15' of LED strip, like say two Detolf cases, you can either run each case off of one of the above transformers, or you can get a bigger transformer. I use this one for powering two side-by-side cases:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7 ... UTF8&psc=1

It's a 72 watt transformer so can power up to 48' of LED strip. I use a splitter to plug it into each case separately:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6 ... UTF8&psc=1

OK, so you've got everything set up, but what a pain in the butt to have to plug/ unplug from the wall every time you want to turn your case on! Yeah, there's no on/off switch. Oh but wait! You can buy one of these and turn your lights on and off from anywhere in the room :-)

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Dimme ... ote+dimmer

I promise it's the best 2.59 you will ever spend lol Simply plug the receiver in between the transformer and LED strip, it uses the same barrel connectors as the transformer. You can also dim the lights using that same remote, or make them do wacky flashing/ strobing if you're in the mood :-)

In my case I have several lighted displays in my living room and bedroom so I invested in one of these sets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQ ... UTF8&psc=1

The nice thing about that is you can plug 5 different cases in and turn them each on from a single remote. I've been using these for over a year now and they work flawlessly. In my bedroom I keep a remote next to the bed that turns on/off my glow displays and my lighted Pop Ride shelves. I have another in the living room that controls the lighting in 4 different cases.

For lighting my Detolf cases and shelves and such (all the non-glow stuff) here are links to the LED strips I use:

White
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQ ... UTF8&psc=1

Red
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HS ... UTF8&psc=1

Blue
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HS ... UTF8&psc=1

I hope I covered everything and did it in a way that's not too confusing, let me know if there are any questions! If you're confused about what to order then feel free to post here or shoot me a message with something like "hey Tres, I want to just light a single baseball bat case, what exactly do I need to order?" I'm happy to help :-)

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Amazing info! You win the internet today! All hail the glow king!
I'm Josh

alex_dewitt

Postby alex_dewitt » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Very awesome and detailed tips tres!

:freddy1:

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Thank you Josh and Alex, I hope it is useful info to anyone that wants to make their room a glowy paradise lol

alex_dewitt

Postby alex_dewitt » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:23 pm

treswright wrote:Thank you Josh and Alex, I hope it is useful info to anyone that wants to make their room a glowy paradise lol

I've been trying to find a UV flashlight for weeks now and I'm telling you for the love of Freddy Funko I just can't seem to find one. I'll probably order one off amazon now. I'm just hoping they charge well through the box window and that they glow a lot brighter than with my iPhone flash.

Tmwnn

Postby Tmwnn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:49 pm

alex_dewitt wrote:I've been trying to find a UV flashlight for weeks now and I'm telling you for the love of Freddy Funko I just can't seem to find one. I'll probably order one off amazon now. I'm just hoping they charge well through the box window and that they glow a lot brighter than with my iPhone flash.

If my experience is typical, those box windows seem to be made of UV-blocking super-plastic. I'm an out-of-box guy, but now that I'm running out of room, I keep more in the box. But when I try to see how they glow, the results are always miserable through the box window.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Duck dodgers white it a nice glow in the dark. I am curious to see some of the freddy funko's that glow in the dark. if anyone has them please post.

I will post the duck dodgers gamma's later
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:49 pm

treswright wrote:Here are a couple of shots of the Walmart MLP exclusives (lights on and off). The yellow one glows nicely, but the blue one doesn't glow that great and the purple one is terrible. I took the second pic right after turning the lights off so it's a little deceiving, because within 10 seconds or so the purple one fades to where you can't even see it anymore.

OMG! That MLP glow is fantastic! I need a blacklight STAT!
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:05 pm

alex_dewitt wrote:
treswright wrote:Thank you Josh and Alex, I hope it is useful info to anyone that wants to make their room a glowy paradise lol

I've been trying to find a UV flashlight for weeks now and I'm telling you for the love of Freddy Funko I just can't seem to find one. I'll probably order one off amazon now. I'm just hoping they charge well through the box window and that they glow a lot brighter than with my iPhone flash.

I got my UV flashlight from Amazon and love it.
I'm Josh

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:21 pm

grandpa_stern wrote:I got my UV flashlight from Amazon and love it.

I'm gonna have to invest in one now that I've got more than one GITD pop. Maybe if I get a certain number of them, I can do a cool glowy display with actual UV LEDs too.

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:48 pm

Just got this today, amazing glow!

Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Kungfutoys

Postby Kungfutoys » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:12 am

Sarcasticguy wrote:Just got this today, amazing glow!

Nice!
:freddy3:
Funko Funatic Since 1999
2002 FunKlub Member #0037
Funko Events Attended:
2002 1st Fundays at Sparky’s until the last Fundays at SDCC 2023
2016 Funko Fright Night
2017 Everett Headquarters Grand Opening
2018 Making Fun Hollywood Premier
2019 Hollywood Store Grand Opening
2021 FunKon Hollywood
2022 Funko Fright Night 2 NYCC
2023 Funko Fundays

Kungfutoys

Postby Kungfutoys » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:13 am

Sarcasticguy wrote:Just got this today, amazing glow!

Nice!
:freddy3:
Funko Funatic Since 1999
2002 FunKlub Member #0037
Funko Events Attended:
2002 1st Fundays at Sparky’s until the last Fundays at SDCC 2023
2016 Funko Fright Night
2017 Everett Headquarters Grand Opening
2018 Making Fun Hollywood Premier
2019 Hollywood Store Grand Opening
2021 FunKon Hollywood
2022 Funko Fright Night 2 NYCC
2023 Funko Fundays

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:16 am

Your glow pictures are rad Scott!
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:21 am

Look at that little guy glow!
I'm Josh

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Very cool Scott! Believe it or not I have no idea what Pop that is but I like it :-)

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:41 pm

treswright wrote:Very cool Scott! Believe it or not I have no idea what Pop that is but I like it :-)

It is a Deadite from Army Of Darkness. Truly a classic.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

Sarcasticguy

Postby Sarcasticguy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:56 pm

treswright wrote:Very cool Scott! Believe it or not I have no idea what Pop that is but I like it :-)

Thanks Tres!

Like Howard said, it's from Evil Dead: Army of Darkness. GITD Deadite was a Bangkok CC Exclusive. There is a regular, normal release version too :)
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Return to “Pop!”