The glowy Pop goodness thread :-)

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
ghstR3CON2

Re: The glowy Pop goodness thread :-)

Postby ghstR3CON2 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:51 pm

treswright wrote:Is this the one that just the hand glows on?

Yeah, it's just the hand, but it's pretty cool still. I want to get some other GiTD pops soon. Mostly Thanos.
Number of Pops: 105
Favorite Line of Pops: MARVEL
First Pop Ever: #10 Captain America
Latest Pop Obtained: #50 Glowing One (Fallout)
Favorite Pop: #41 GiTD Captain America
Most Desired Pop: #6 Metallic Masked Captain America (SDCC13)

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:53 pm

Got the NYCC orange Catbug today and couldn't get him out of the package and into the case fast enough :-) He is molded in GITD vinyl, not painted. Looks fantastic! It's still light out but from what I can tell he glows awesome and does glow in orange! I'll take a lights-out pic tonight.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:54 pm

I love the catbugs! I was pushing those at NYCC so hard, anyone that didn't order one I tried to sell them on one lol

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:25 pm

funkystark wrote:I love the catbugs! I was pushing those at NYCC so hard, anyone that didn't order one I tried to sell them on one lol

I've never even seen the cartoon or anime the character is from, but I totally dig the Pop's! I bought the blue one just because it glowed, but when I saw it I thought it was way more cool than pics indicated. It has that sort of turtle shell on its back that can't really be seen in pics of it, it looks kind of plain in pics but it actually has some nice painted details.

Here are a couple of lights-off pics at dusk, awesome glow color on this one!

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FunkoNinja

Postby FunkoNinja » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Got the FYE exclusive GITD Au Naturel today and he glows pretty well. He glows yellow on his body but not the eyes or goggles.
Currently Want: White Lantern GITD Flash & Superman, Atom Boy, Slimer & slimed Venkman, Ecto-1, HT Raven, Flocked Lion-O, GITD Mumm-Ra, Target Olaf

jester00

Postby jester00 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:36 pm

I got the glow Cthulhu mini from the horror series 2. Man oh man does he glow amazing! Definitely recommended
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

dpb1298

Postby dpb1298 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:42 am

Glowzilla came yesterday and has renewed my faith in the GitD line. He is awesome!!
Collection:
Pops-88 + 2 pre-ordered
Pop Rides-1
Pocket Pops-1
Mystery Minis-34
Dorbz-9
Hikari-2
Vinyl-2

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:48 am

FunkoNinja wrote:Got the FYE exclusive GITD Au Naturel today and he glows pretty well. He glows yellow on his body but not the eyes or goggles.

Thanks for the info, I'll add him to the list! I had to Google it, I was like "the whaaaaat?" One of the Minions, now the name makes sense :-)

jester00 wrote:I got the glow Cthulhu mini from the horror series 2. Man oh man does he glow amazing! Definitely recommended

Oh cool, I need to at least get that one from the series because I have a big tattoo that is kind of a space version of Cthulu :-)

dpb1298 wrote:Glowzilla came yesterday and has renewed my faith in the GitD line. He is awesome!!

Glad you like it, he's impressive for sure!

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:55 am

I went ahead and started a Mystery Mini list in the first post since Thomas mentioned Cthulu. I don't have any of the glow minis, so if anyone has any for the list then let me know.

TempestAvery

Postby TempestAvery » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Does anyone have Gir from Invader Zim? Mine doesn't really glow and I wanted to see if it's just mine. If I leave it in the light for about three hours, it will sort of have a really dim glow rim to it which fades within a matter of two minutes. And it's barely a glow. :/
I'm Chani (yes, named after Dune)!
Instagram is TempestDraws
Pop!: 427
Need: Headless Ned Stark, GITD White Walker, Nick Fury

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:50 pm

TempestAvery wrote:Does anyone have Gir from Invader Zim? Mine doesn't really glow and I wanted to see if it's just mine. If I leave it in the light for about three hours, it will sort of have a really dim glow rim to it which fades within a matter of two minutes. And it's barely a glow. :/

Yeah we talked about it a page or two back in this thread. It's on the "good" list but with the following comment:

"Gir- whole figure (Ed likes it, Tres & Joe on the fence about it because the head doesn't glow nearly as well as the body under black light) Hot Topic exclusive"

I was pretty disappointed with it because I like the figure so I had high hopes. It's molded in GITD vinyl but the head barely glows at all. The body glows well, but Pops are mostly head lol

zanastar

Postby zanastar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:56 pm

I saw au natural Gitd exclusive at fye today which i knew about but i did not know about fire alarm minion exclusive Gitd he looked pretty cool. Didn't buy it but was tempted just on the glow factor.The time before last that i went to fye they said exclusives are not buy one get one half anymore but maybe that only pertains to PX and Entertainment Earth exclusives. :D
Glowy Goodness 4TW :D

wenhol8710

Postby wenhol8710 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:59 pm

treswright wrote:I went ahead and started a Mystery Mini list in the first post since Thomas mentioned Cthulu. I don't have any of the glow minis, so if anyone has any for the list then let me know.

Both Derpy from series one and Princess Celestia from series 3 (HT exclusive) from the MLP mini sets glow really well. They're both molded in GitD vinyl. :D I don't have a photo of Derpy, but here's Celestia:

I know there's at least one other MLP mini that's GitD, but those are the only two I have.
wenhol8710 on Instagram

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks Wendy, I will add those to the list :-) The one in the pic sure glows great!

I read a rumor that the GS Kratos exclusive glows. It doesn't say so on the box so I figured I wouldn't get too excited until I saw for myself. GoW is one of my top 5 favorite game series, I love it, so any exclusive Kratos is a must-have for me. Well it arrived and I'm happy to report that yes, it glows, and it glows quite well! It's molded in a translucent blue and glows blue under black light and green with lights off. On a sadder note, he is the shortest Pop in my case lol In his defense Yoda is on his pedestal lol lol

I also ordered a glow Tron mini and glow WD zombie mini, will report on those when they arrive!

image.jpg

image.jpg

nikegolferML23

Postby nikegolferML23 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:00 pm

treswright wrote:Thanks Wendy, I will add those to the list :-) The one in the pic sure glows great!

I read a rumor that the GS Kratos exclusive glows. It doesn't say so on the box so I figured I wouldn't get too excited until I saw for myself. GoW is one of my top 5 favorite game series, I love it, so any exclusive Kratos is a must-have for me. Well it arrived and I'm happy to report that yes, it glows, and it glows quite well! It's molded in a translucent blue and glows blue under black light and green with lights off. On a sadder note, he is the shortest Pop in my case lol In his defense Yoda is on his pedestal lol lol

I also ordered a glow Tron mini and glow WD zombie mini, will report on those when they arrive!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have the NYCC Kratos and it does glows. I tested it out cause it looked like the holographic Vader and emperor
Call me Tiger..... I mean Mike
ISO: Greedo Blue Box, ECCC Phoenix, Red Skull, Unmasked Wolverine

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:34 am

treswright wrote:
funkystark wrote:I love the catbugs! I was pushing those at NYCC so hard, anyone that didn't order one I tried to sell them on one lol

I've never even seen the cartoon or anime the character is from, but I totally dig the Pop's! I bought the blue one just because it glowed, but when I saw it I thought it was way more cool than pics indicated. It has that sort of turtle shell on its back that can't really be seen in pics of it, it looks kind of plain in pics but it actually has some nice painted details.

Here are a couple of lights-off pics at dusk, awesome glow color on this one!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend the show(Bravest Warriors). Cartoon Hangover creates the show (5ish minute episodes) and puts them on Youtube. I just recently became a fan of the show and because Catbug is awesome, had to order the blue gitd Catbug while Forbidden Planet had them (they still do for anyone that's interested).

Outta curiousity, were you more impressed with the blue or orange gitd Catbug? I've heard good things about both, went with blue because it's closer to CB's original color and because it was about the same price as the orange one from PC.

On a sidenote, I'm also curious about gitd Princess Bubblegum. In the original post here she's listed as glowing pink or orange depending upon whether or not you use a blacklight. My PB glows a bright ethereal green-white color when I use normal light(well, a "natural light" lamp, dunno if it matters). Don't have a blacklight to try out on her. Did they make some a different color or what?

TempestAvery

Postby TempestAvery » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:10 am

treswright wrote:
TempestAvery wrote:Does anyone have Gir from Invader Zim? Mine doesn't really glow and I wanted to see if it's just mine. If I leave it in the light for about three hours, it will sort of have a really dim glow rim to it which fades within a matter of two minutes. And it's barely a glow. :/

Yeah we talked about it a page or two back in this thread. It's on the "good" list but with the following comment:

"Gir- whole figure (Ed likes it, Tres & Joe on the fence about it because the head doesn't glow nearly as well as the body under black light) Hot Topic exclusive"

I was pretty disappointed with it because I like the figure so I had high hopes. It's molded in GITD vinyl but the head barely glows at all. The body glows well, but Pops are mostly head lol

Thanks! The body on mine doesn't glow very well either, but it is a bit brighter than the head. Good to know it's not just mine, so I won't go out and buy another one!
I'm Chani (yes, named after Dune)!
Instagram is TempestDraws
Pop!: 427
Need: Headless Ned Stark, GITD White Walker, Nick Fury

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:22 am

nikegolferML23 wrote:I have the NYCC Kratos and it does glows. I tested it out cause it looked like the holographic Vader and emperor

Sorry if I wasn't clear but when I said "GS exclusive" I was talking about the NYCC version too. It does look like the same vinyl as Vader and Emperor, which is a good thing because they all glow nicely and I like the semi-translucent look they have in normal lighting too!

Caius_Cosades wrote:I HIGHLY recommend the show(Bravest Warriors). Cartoon Hangover creates the show (5ish minute episodes) and puts them on Youtube.

Cool! Thanks for the info! I'll try to find those!

Outta curiousity, were you more impressed with the blue or orange gitd Catbug? I've heard good things about both, went with blue because it's closer to CB's original color and because it was about the same price as the orange one from PC.

I really like both of them, it's just a cute/ cool character and they actually glow in their molded colors instead of green so they add a nice pop of color to my case when the lights are out. The blue one glows longer than the orange one, the orange tends to lose it's brightness pretty quickly when the light is turned out so if I had to pick between the two I'd probably go with the blue one.

On a sidenote, I'm also curious about gitd Princess Bubblegum. In the original post here she's listed as glowing pink or orange depending upon whether or not you use a blacklight. My PB glows a bright ethereal green-white color when I use normal light(well, a "natural light" lamp, dunno if it matters). Don't have a blacklight to try out on her. Did they make some a different color or what?

Some of these glow colors can be a little tricky to identify, I think because we're used to judging color based on light reflectivity and object adjacency to other colors, neither of which we have when looking at something in total darkness. I had my son in looking at my case last night to see what he thought about Kratos and he commented on Princess glowing green, I said "don't you think that's more of a pink color?" He looked at it and said he could see it going that way too. So yeah, I'm sure yours glows the same color as mine, the difference is just personal perception. For a Pop that only has glowing hair she is pretty darned cool! Her hair is so bright that it lights up the whole figure, really a neat effect!

TempestAvery wrote:Thanks! The body on mine doesn't glow very well either, but it is a bit brighter than the head. Good to know it's not just mine, so I won't go out and buy another one!

You're welcome! Yeah don't buy another, go get a Kratos or Catbug or Creature instead :-)

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:15 am

these pictures were mostly to show off the glowing one i was able to get today so ignore the others but i love his glow!

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks Joe, I've been wondering about that one! I'll add him to the list!

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:46 pm

Spoiler: show
One of the best glows I've seen...
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

Tilter

Postby Tilter » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:10 am

treswright wrote:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome
ImageImageImage

JoeCoolTM

Postby JoeCoolTM » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:12 pm

So I know not everyone on here uses UV/Black Lights to charge their pops but Tres having UV lights in his case and me just placing my blacklight in front of certain pops, I figured id go through my collection and post "Non gitd" pops, but once that also react to UV based on their paints etc. Hope it helps, and sorry for the not great quality of the pictures!

(From left to right)
Hazmat Walter White
Beetlejuice
Beatup Jesse Pinkman
Moriarty with crown
SDCC Twisty
Mclovin
Peter Griffin
Harley with mallet
Arkham Asylum Harley

(Left to right)
Raven
Robin
EE Orange Batman
EE Yellow Batman
Lootcrate Joker Batman
White Lantern Batman
Arkham Knight Scarecrow
Arkham Asylum Joker
DC Universe Joker

Stay Puft
GLOW IN THE DARK VERSION Darkseid
Zero
Toasted Stay Puft

This picture wouldnt come out right, all actually have pretty bright glows, like peter or mclovin's shirts
all pops in these pictures minus darkseid are non glow variants just to clarify, Hope this helps everyone wonderin

ALSO, Image
Heres darkseid's glow with lights off

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:40 am

Very cool Joe, thanks for posting those! A couple posts up you posted a picture of blue crystal Heisenberg, that is another one that glows really well under black light (although it's not GITD).

Tmwnn

Postby Tmwnn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks to you guys, now I have to order a Poseiden Kratos. I just got a shipment from popcultcha with all glowing: Lo Pan, Adipose, White Lantern Batman, White Lantern Wonder Woman, Vault Boy, and last but not least Godzilla. I love the ethereal blue glow he puts off. Also just got a Glowing One and a blue Catbug. Waiting on my orange Catbug to arrive. Still, no one holds a candle to BMO for some reason. I've yet to get together a proper display. Right now all the glowing figures are under my Aerogarden light.

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:54 am

Very cool, sounds like you've got quite a nice glowy collection going :-) I too just picked up a Glowing One after Joe reported on it, it's not as strong a glower as some of the others but it's a cool/ creepy Pop and has some nice paint detail on it. Definitely worth the purchase!

Something that I keep forgetting to mention is I usually turn my glow display on in the evening and then shut it off when I go to bed (I have a really cool remote setup I got off of Amazon, you can set up electrical devices on remote switches and a single remote will turn on/ off up to 5 devices). I usually go to bed around 10:30 and get up at 5:45 and at that time the Pops are STILL GLOWING. They lose their initial brightness pretty quick, but they maintain their low glow for an impressively long time. I keep my room pitch black so my eyes adjust to it by the morning, so yes they are barely glowing but I can see them just fine and it's pretty cool :-)

r2d2

Postby r2d2 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Any comments on the Hula Minion that was a NYCC exclusive?

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:19 pm

Such a great thread! Sorry I'm late in joining. I love the GITD POPs and can't wait to be able to get a proper display set up for them. I think that bat case technique is brilliant. Also good to see that the Glowing One looks good... He was a must for us as huge Fallout fans (days away from Fallout 4 release!!!!)
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

jester00

Postby jester00 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Glad to see glowing one. Guess I'll have to try to get him.
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

jester00

Postby jester00 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:09 pm

I had the mini glow golf club walker from walking dead series 3. He had a good glow also.
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

jester00

Postby jester00 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Also chase Zero. Mine glows blue under regular light. Really awesome glow pop
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:17 pm

treswright wrote:Some of these glow colors can be a little tricky to identify, I think because we're used to judging color based on light reflectivity and object adjacency to other colors, neither of which we have when looking at something in total darkness. I had my son in looking at my case last night to see what he thought about Kratos and he commented on Princess glowing green, I said "don't you think that's more of a pink color?" He looked at it and said he could see it going that way too. So yeah, I'm sure yours glows the same color as mine, the difference is just personal perception. For a Pop that only has glowing hair she is pretty darned cool! Her hair is so bright that it lights up the whole figure, really a neat effect!

Sometimes, due to the lighting, the fact that not every part of her hair gets equally charged when I set her under my lamp, and her the pink of her base reflecting back on to her hair I think, I do see some spots of pink here and there, but it's like it's just sorta being lit up by the rest of her hair and not like the it's actually glowing pink, if that makes sense.

Yes, she is indeed pretty darned cool! Her hair glows so bright that after setting her underneath my work lamp for a couple minutes, she glows bright enough that you can see her glow in a fully lit room(albeit for a short period of time)! PB is a very impressive gitd POP, so impressive that I can't help but feel sad that the gitd Goku is so disappointing :( .

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:42 am

r2d2 wrote:Any comments on the Hula Minion that was a NYCC exclusive?

FunkoNinja gave his stamp of approval on one of the other glow Minions (Au Naturel). I would think they're all molded out of the same GITD vinyl since they're the same yellow color, so even though no one has commented on that specific one it's probably a safe bet that it's a good glower!

Spiffythedog wrote:Such a great thread! Sorry I'm late in joining. I love the GITD POPs and can't wait to be able to get a proper display set up for them. I think that bat case technique is brilliant. Also good to see that the Glowing One looks good... He was a must for us as huge Fallout fans (days away from Fallout 4 release!!!!)

Thank you and welcome to the glowy goodness club :-D I used to be a more serious gamer, I don't have much time to play anymore but dang, those Fallout commercials really look cool!

jester00 wrote:I had the mini glow golf club walker from walking dead series 3. He had a good glow also.

Thank you sir, I added him to the list. I also added the RV walker and bloody eye walker minis to the list, I recently picked up both of them and they glow really well! Only the head and hands glow, but they glow nice and bright.

I also added the Tron mini to the list, I picked him up recently as well and he is very bright and glows from head to toe :-)

jester00 wrote:Also chase Zero. Mine glows blue under regular light. Really awesome glow pop

Wow, I thought for sure that one was already on the list but it wasn't. Thanks.

Caius_Cosades wrote:Sometimes, due to the lighting, the fact that not every part of her hair gets equally charged when I set her under my lamp, and her the pink of her base reflecting back on to her hair I think, I do see some spots of pink here and there, but it's like it's just sorta being lit up by the rest of her hair and not like the it's actually glowing pink, if that makes sense.

I hadn't thought of that but it could be that her hair is so bright it's reflecting color off of her face.

so impressive that I can't help but feel sad that the gitd Goku is so disappointing

So Goku needs to go on the "bad" list? Is it just the hair that glows on it?

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:44 am

treswright wrote:So Goku needs to go on the "bad" list? Is it just the hair that glows on it?

Yes and yes, I'll post a picture below. EDIT: You probably won't be able to see him if you're on mobile. EDIT 2: Replaced the old pic with a better one.

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 am

Wow, yeah that's awful! Thanks for the info, I'll add it to the list!

GnomesStalkChildren

Postby GnomesStalkChildren » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Pop Asia Chase White Lady And Regular White

jester00

Postby jester00 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Man I really want White Lady. But the price stops me. Same with the other glow Asia pops
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:41 pm

GnomesStalkChildren wrote:Pop Asia Chase White Lady And Regular White

Thanks, I added her to the list! I recently got her as well (the regular version) and she is AWESOME! Looks good even with the lights on, but the glow is really fantastic on her too. Under black light her body glows blue and head green, with the light off her glow is all green.

I also picked up the Cthulu mini and agree with Thomas, it's great! I was surprised at the size of it, it's pretty big for a mini.

White Lady.JPG

Junoku

Postby Junoku » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Is the gitd Mumm-RA glow bad? I haven't been able to find a picture of it online, I've been contemplating painting my normal one with gitd paint.

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:18 pm

OK, just got my GitD BMO in the mail, and I haven't seen a picture of him here, so I just thought I'd post one so that everyone could get an idea of what he looks like charged. Got a second pic comparing him to some other GitD POPs. I must say, I was really quite impressed with him.

Return to “Pop!”