HOW DO WE SAVE THE DOCTOR WHO LINE?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
minusdatails

Re: HOW DO WE SAVE THE DOCTOR WHO LINE?

Postby minusdatails » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm glad to hear that these are starting to pop up in stores, I'm really excited to get them! :)
My name is Kyle and I may or may not be a cat. :cat:
GRAIL: Captain America Mega Dorbz

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Anyone find them in New York yet?

ghostpimp4ever

Postby ghostpimp4ever » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:40 pm

I am from Syracuse, New York. I picked up 11/Mr. Clever and 12 with Guitar today from Gamestop. I was comparing these pops to their wave 1 counterparts and notice a few things. The new 11 head is smaller and the hair is lighter but the hair is more detail. The head of 12 is also smaller when compared to the original.

nyel24

Postby nyel24 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:17 pm

I'll be checking my local GS tomorrow to see if any of these came in. I would like smith to autograph his but $100 is too rich for my blood.

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 pm

ghostpimp4ever wrote:I am from Syracuse, New York. I picked up 11/Mr. Clever and 12 with Guitar today from Gamestop. I was comparing these pops to their wave 1 counterparts and notice a few things. The new 11 head is smaller and the hair is lighter but the hair is more detail. The head of 12 is also smaller when compared to the original.

Thanks foe the info!!!

Anyone know when they will hit Barnes and Noble? Save a buck haha

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:57 am

addict2films wrote:
ghostpimp4ever wrote:I am from Syracuse, New York. I picked up 11/Mr. Clever and 12 with Guitar today from Gamestop. I was comparing these pops to their wave 1 counterparts and notice a few things. The new 11 head is smaller and the hair is lighter but the hair is more detail. The head of 12 is also smaller when compared to the original.

Thanks foe the info!!!

save more than a buck compared to HT or gamestop.

This is what I am waiting on to combine with 20% off coupon and membership. I did this for the last wave of HP and got most for 6-7$ plus free shipping.
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:26 am

hailmary25 wrote:
addict2films wrote:

Thanks foe the info!!!

save more than a buck compared to HT or gamestop.

This is what I am waiting on to combine with 20% off coupon and membership. I did this for the last wave of HP and got most for 6-7$ plus free shipping.

Agreed. The soaring prices of POPs are a bit ridiculous, considering the quality has not improved. They could at least not have any paint blemishes.

cerealkiller

Postby cerealkiller » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:21 am

I understand the fandom even though I don't watch the show, but if anything, there was probably too many Dr Who pops with variants, in a very short time. I think Hot topic had about 5+ exclusives alone that came out spread out between maybe two months. Add the SDCC and Gamestop, THinkGeek, etc. Considering lines like X-men and other popular properties sit with just a few characters, Dr. Who, at the very least, had a varied Pop catalog compared to most lines.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:22 am

I know I'm only one voice and one opinion out of many, so I only speak for myself, but I hope there are no more variants of 9, 10, 11 and 12. I think, per my own mind, the only thing people will want to buy after this wave will be the Doctors. People may not want a bunch of companions, but they WILL want Doctors, all of them. Regular fans will at least want all of the regenerations of the main guy, so I think it's very important to give us him. After that I think at least one version of the Master, the Mistress for those who liked her and a few more classic aliens would round it out. I know, it's all been said, and I've probably said it already a few times in a few different threads, but I feel like this would go a long way to save the line. Without those lines they should sprinkle old and newer companions, but not make them the focal point of the waves, that should be left to giving us the rest of the Doctors, in my opinion.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 750ish
Dorbz: 35
Mystery Minis: 33
Sodas: 7
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

Victolus

Postby Victolus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:31 pm

Dear Funko,

If you've still got the license and are willing to give Wave 4 a go, please include a Zygon, an Ice Warrior, a Sontaran (even non Doctor Who fans love a good monster pop), and to make a few quick bucks from an existing mold maybe another Dalek in a different colour (red). If you made a "British Army Green" Dalek (from "Victory of the Daleks") an exclusive, I bet lots of collectors would go mad for it. Maybe throw in one of the other Doctors you haven't made yet (I recommend 2 or 5) as part of this set - and maybe a companion. If you're concerned about low sales, maybe don't make it Clara or Amy just yet - if you include them, maybe there really won't be much interest in a Wave 5 because everyone will already have the pops they want.

Thanks!

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:00 am

Union Jack Dalek please! (And a Marvel Union Jack)
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:37 am

I'm not a fan and don't own any of the Pops, but after researching the show a little bit I'd have to say that Clara and Amy are the two I would be the most interested in buying. I could be wrong, but I feel like those are two that could help with sales. I can't see myself buying any of the older doctors, tbh. I don't know much about the monsters. If I were to get one, it likely would be an impulse purchase, depending on how it looks. I likely wouldn't plan ahead to buy one. However, I would plan ahead of time to buy a Clara or Amy. I agree with cerealkiller that there are too many variants of the same few doctors. Kinda turns me off from buying any of them.

I hope the opinions of someone who's on the outside looking in helps a little.

Victolus

Postby Victolus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:09 am

Does anyone have a breakdown of how many units of each pop were sold? I'm curious to see how many Rose Tyler pops were bought (Rose was THE favourite companion from 2005 onwards that fans wanted on screen again and again, before David Tennant left the show). I'd imagine if any pop collector wanted a DW companion, it would be that one for sure. I'd think newer fans more familiar with the newer series would be interested in River Song, too. I can't argue with low sales for the entire wave, but it just seems odd that people wouldn't be interested in Rose and River, at least. If they didn't do well, there must be other factors at play here including accessibility, timing of release (did they maybe come out at the same time as a popular but distracting DC pop, for example), and maybe all the DW and pop forums and Instagram pages didn't make as much noise about them. I'm a concerned fan and collector, and I really don't want to see this line go away.

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:07 am

HaloHawk87 wrote:I'm not a fan and don't own any of the Pops, but after researching the show a little bit I'd have to say that Clara and Amy are the two I would be the most interested in buying. I could be wrong, but I feel like those are two that could help with sales. I can't see myself buying any of the older doctors, tbh. I don't know much about the monsters. If I were to get one, it likely would be an impulse purchase, depending on how it looks. I likely wouldn't plan ahead to buy one. However, I would plan ahead of time to buy a Clara or Amy. I agree with cerealkiller that there are too many variants of the same few doctors. Kinda turns me off from buying any of them.

It's crazy how someone who's not even a fan of the show knows that the most desired Pops are Amy and Clara and yet Funko doesn't know that. I completely agree with what you said. It is so blatant that these characters are at everyone's top 2 list, even casual viewers of Who will buy them since Karen Gillan and Jenna Coleman (the actors who play them) are constantly attending conventions.

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:11 am

Victolus wrote:Does anyone have a breakdown of how many units of each pop were sold? I'm curious to see how many Rose Tyler pops were bought (Rose was THE favourite companion from 2005 onwards that fans wanted on screen again and again, before David Tennant left the show). I'd imagine if any pop collector wanted a DW companion, it would be that one for sure. I'd think newer fans more familiar with the newer series would be interested in River Song, too. I can't argue with low sales for the entire wave, but it just seems odd that people wouldn't be interested in Rose and River, at least. If they didn't do well, there must be other factors at play here including accessibility, timing of release (did they maybe come out at the same time as a popular but distracting DC pop, for example), and maybe all the DW and pop forums and Instagram pages didn't make as much noise about them. I'm a concerned fan and collector, and I really don't want to see this line go away.

No, unfortunately there are no numbers posted. Although I'm sure that someone here could tell you the necessary numbers needed for a next wave to happen... They focused too much on the Russell T Davies era and certain characters like Sarah Jane, and K-9 that appeal to hardcore fans and not the general, casual viewers of Who are not familiar with classic Who.
They made a wrong turn and now are blaming the consumers for not supporting the Doctor Who line even thought half of it is all variants of 10,11,12..
I don't know what's wrong with Funko to not listen to its consumers and make the characters that fans really want, maybe even in fewer units or as exclusives, it will definitely generate more interest.

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:01 pm

addict2films wrote:
HaloHawk87 wrote:I'm not a fan and don't own any of the Pops, but after researching the show a little bit I'd have to say that Clara and Amy are the two I would be the most interested in buying. I could be wrong, but I feel like those are two that could help with sales. I can't see myself buying any of the older doctors, tbh. I don't know much about the monsters. If I were to get one, it likely would be an impulse purchase, depending on how it looks. I likely wouldn't plan ahead to buy one. However, I would plan ahead of time to buy a Clara or Amy. I agree with cerealkiller that there are too many variants of the same few doctors. Kinda turns me off from buying any of them.

It's crazy how someone who's not even a fan of the show knows that the most desired Pops are Amy and Clara and yet Funko doesn't know that. I completely agree with what you said. It is so blatant that these characters are at everyone's top 2 list, even casual viewers of Who will buy them since Karen Gillan and Jenna Coleman (the actors who play them) are constantly attending conventions.

A big reason why I want an Amy Pop is because it's the same actress who plays Nebula in the GotG movies. As a big Marvel fan, it would be fun to display an Amy Pop next to a Nebula Pop.

bonnjer

Postby bonnjer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:03 pm

Well, I did my part of saving the line. Bought all of the regular Pops and will get Davros when Hot Cash rolls around in a couple weeks. They look fantastic! :)

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:51 pm

I did my part to help. I bought all four new Doctor Pops on Wednesday and bought Davros yesterday. Let's save those Doctor Who Pops! We want more companions and monsters!
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:59 pm

StarWarner wrote:I did my part to help. I bought all four new Doctor Pops on Wednesday and bought Davros yesterday. Let's save those Doctor Who Pops! We want more companions and monsters!

Picking mine up tomorrow.
LETS SAVE THE LINE.

nyel24

Postby nyel24 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:52 am

The twelve doc with guitar is pretty cool. May have to pick that up.

donstamos

Postby donstamos » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:37 am

I picked up Twelve w/Guitar and the War Doctor earlier this week. I plan to get the others when I get paid.

I only have three of the second line - Nine w/Banana, Jack and Sarah Jane - and Jack/Sarah Jane came from Pop in a Box. I never saw any of the other 2nd line pops, save a K-9 that I didn't have the money to get at the time (and was gone when I came back to get it). Outside of that K-9, the Nine was the only one I found in the wild (Hot Topic).

saul_damascus

Postby saul_damascus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Bought the entire line at hot topic today
[img]Check%20out%20@CareyJohnson919’s%20Tweet:%20https://twitter.com/CareyJohnson919/status/935495745569992707?s=09[/img]

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am

keep buying those DW pops people buy some gifts
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

SpartacusPtech

Postby SpartacusPtech » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Let's save it by buying more Doctor Who Pops. I just bought 4 from the new releases. Mr. Clever, Ten with hand, The War Doctor, and Davros. Still need 12 with Guitar.

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Personally, I'm an old school Dr. Who fan. I haven't bought any of the new Doctors in Pop! form. Of course, I've got like 3 versions of the 4th doctor. I'd like his companions and villains, too, but to be honest, a lot of them look like "generic guy / gall in street clothes." I'd like to see them give some zing to the side characters so that there's more incentive to buy them. Just my two cents. And I would kill for a Hartnell Doctor b+w pop.
I'm Josh

GameOfWhooves

Postby GameOfWhooves » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Did my duty today, and ordered the set of 5 from Hot Topic.
I'm Bryan.
ISO of Aloy Proto from Horizon Zero Dawn.

SunsetBeauty

Postby SunsetBeauty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Got the call that my pre-orders are in at Gamestop! Going tomorrow to get my DW pops!!! :)
Kate

"Okay, you people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn . . . call the president." ~Jack Burton

Dorbz- 15
MLP Hikari - 6
Mystery Minis - Too many to count!
Keychains/Pocket Pops - 8
Pops - 212
MLP Vinyl - 60

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:25 pm

This is so great. The camaraderie between Whovians. I literally fantasize about the next wave and how great it would be to have the companions.
Rory ( -vampires in venice outfit)
Amy ( vampires in venice oufit)
Clara (face the raven outfit)
HT exclusive Roman Rory
HT exclusive kissagram Amy
HT exclusive waitress Clara

Also a three pack with nuwho doctors featuring them all wearing glasses would be so cute
10 (the girl in the fireplace, tie around his head, sunglasses)
11 (angels take manhattan, wearing amys glasses holding the book)
12 ( wearing his burgundy jacket with the ray band)

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Keeping it real and old school, I'd also like:

Leela
Romana
Harry
I'm Josh

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:56 pm

I love the Doctor who line but I think the problems is they stick to the same Doctors and not any of the others ones. With this new series the war doctor was added but we have 9 more doctors to make. I think people don't want to buy the same doctor in different variants. Also companions should have been done with the doctors. Maybe 2 packs of the Doctor with companion.

Hope this line does well and they keep making them.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Tony_Funko
Location: In Canada. Specifically, Ontario. In a town just outside Toronto, that is.

Postby Tony_Funko » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Got all the wave 3 Pops from the same EB Games location without preordering...which is a freaking miracle because that was the one store I've come across that had all of them on hand.

They're all very cool...Rock Doc was probably my #1 want from the new series, and he just looks awesome, looking like he just played a chord on the guitar. I have three Tens already, but I just absolutely love that this new one has him in his pinstripe suit. Also feel the same way about Mr. Clever's outfit...definitely my favourite one for Eleven.

I've always loved Davros and am really glad Funko made a Pop for him, although I would've preferred that he be a regular sized Pop. Just my two pennies, but I think they should have made a 6-inch for the Dalek Emperor instead. Still, love Davros so I'm not going to complain too much about having an oversized version of him.

That leaves the War Doctor, which--compared to the others--looks like Funko was slumming it. He's in the generic Doctor pose with the sonic screwdriver and his outfit consists of shades of brown...although the detail isn't too bad.

Overall, a good set, and I really hope it's not the end of the DW line. If Funko puts in a bit more effort and gives us more variety in characters/monsters and changes up the poses then I think there's a very good chance non-Whovians will have their interest piqued.

grandpa_stern wrote:I've got like 3 versions of the 4th doctor.

Josh, are you including the Freddy Funko Fourth Doctor as one of the three?

grandpa_stern wrote:And I would kill for a Hartnell Doctor b+w pop.

You and me both. :) Wouldn't mind a Troughton Doctor, either...since, you know, he's the best Doctor ever. :)

And as others have mentioned upthread, a Lethbridge-Stewart Pop is long overdue. I wouldn't mind seeing variants of him, especially if they do one from 'Terror of the Zygons' when he got in touch with his Scottish roots. :)
Pops I would love to see:

Hanna Barbera
  • Yogi Bear
  • Boo Boo
  • Captain Caveman
  • Snagglepuss (hurray, another one off the list!)
  • Baba Looey

DC
  • Lex Luthor
  • Talon
  • Impulse
  • Black Adam
  • Kilowog
  • Ras al Ghul
  • Brainiac

Marvel
  • Mr. Sinister
  • Bruce Banner
  • Scorpion
  • Mary Jane Watson
  • Bishop
  • Rintrah
  • Black Lightning
  • Mysterio
  • Iron Fist
  • M.O.D.O.K.
  • Spider-Woman

Hi, I'm Tony

frankusho

Postby frankusho » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm definitely picking up this newest wave. I forgot I still need regular 9th, D'Oh!

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:43 pm

grandpa_stern wrote:I've got like 3 versions of the 4th doctor.

Josh, are you including the Freddy Funko Fourth Doctor as one of the three?

[quote="grandpa_stern"]

Yeah. I have a regular, a jelly baby, and the Freddy 4th doctor.
I'm Josh

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:44 pm

That did not come out right hahaha. Oh well.
I'm Josh

donstamos

Postby donstamos » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:56 am

addict2films wrote:HT exclusive Roman Rory
HT exclusive kissagram Amy
HT exclusive waitress Clara

Also a three pack with nuwho doctors featuring them all wearing glasses would be so cute
10 (the girl in the fireplace, tie around his head, sunglasses)
11 (angels take manhattan, wearing amys glasses holding the book)
12 ( wearing his burgundy jacket with the ray band)

omg yes yes yes. I would buy all of these SO QUICK.

I also want to see the other Doctors. Eight even has his possible Night of the Doctor variant. Also, the Master (all of them!). And the Dalek Emperor. And old-school Dalek variants (exclusive Special Weapons even). And an Ood.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:23 am

Jezter wrote:I know I'm only one voice and one opinion out of many, so I only speak for myself, but I hope there are no more variants of 9, 10, 11 and 12. I think, per my own mind, the only thing people will want to buy after this wave will be the Doctors. People may not want a bunch of companions, but they WILL want Doctors, all of them. Regular fans will at least want all of the regenerations of the main guy, so I think it's very important to give us him. After that I think at least one version of the Master, the Mistress for those who liked her and a few more classic aliens would round it out. I know, it's all been said, and I've probably said it already a few times in a few different threads, but I feel like this would go a long way to save the line. Without those lines they should sprinkle old and newer companions, but not make them the focal point of the waves, that should be left to giving us the rest of the Doctors, in my opinion.

Agreed
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 am

I posted this in a PM with someone, it's just an idea...but I think this would be good, obviously, it's just my opinion.

My thoughts, just ideas, not set in stone, even in my head, lol

Wave 4
1st Doctor, 2nd Doctor, normal Amy, normal Rory, Santaraan
Exclusives- Amy in cop uniform, Rory in centurion uniform, 1st Doctor B&W

Wave 5
3rd Doctor, 5th Doctor, classic Master, Martha with her big a** gun, Judoon without helmet
Exlusive- Judoon with helmet, Master or Missy from new Who

Wave 6
6th Doctor, 7th Doctor, Donna, Vashta Narada, Strax
Exclusive- Madame Vastra and Jenny 2 pack, Wooden Cyberman

Wave 7
8th Doctor classic look, Auton, Ood holding brain, Zygon, Clara
Exclusives- New 8th Doctor, mad Ood with red eyes holding orb, any other Doctor variants

Wave 8
Bad wolf Rose, any final Doctor variants, anymore aliens they want to make
Exclusives- Anything at all really, I'll buy it! :D
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 750ish
Dorbz: 35
Mystery Minis: 33
Sodas: 7
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

Fawny

Postby Fawny » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:13 am

Jezter wrote:I posted this in a PM with someone, it's just an idea...but I think this would be good, obviously, it's just my opinion.

My thoughts, just ideas, not set in stone, even in my head, lol

Wave 4
1st Doctor, 2nd Doctor, normal Amy, normal Rory, Santaraan
Exclusives- Amy in cop uniform, Rory in centurion uniform, 1st Doctor B&W

Wave 5
3rd Doctor, 5th Doctor, classic Master, Martha with her big a** gun, Judoon without helmet
Exlusive- Judoon with helmet, Master or Missy from new Who

Wave 6
6th Doctor, 7th Doctor, Donna, Vashta Narada, Strax
Exclusive- Madame Vastra and Jenny 2 pack, Wooden Cyberman

Wave 7
8th Doctor classic look, Auton, Ood holding brain, Zygon, Clara
Exclusives- New 8th Doctor, mad Ood with red eyes holding orb, any other Doctor variants

Wave 8
Bad wolf Rose, any final Doctor variants, anymore aliens they want to make
Exclusives- Anything at all really, I'll buy it! :D

Bravo! =D> But I think with the Ood, do a regular Ood w/orb. Then exclusives of Ood w/brain and red-eyed Ood. And the orb would be GITD of course.
Image Image
Courtesies: SPN Sig: ChinoX Team Badges: valorandvellum Team Tardis: hailmary25

POPtor WHO

Postby POPtor WHO » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:20 pm

I wonder if part of the trouble Doctor Who Pops are having is the large number in the first 2 waves. 9 each, just counting those pictured on the boxes. I can see Star Wars and Harry Potter supporting those kinds of numbers but, unfortunately, I don't think Doctor Who has that kind of draw overall.

Less figures per wave might've generated more "buzz" and selling 1 or 2 out of 5 is better than 1 or 2 out of 9. I'm not sure about character selection. Perhaps if wave 1 consisted of 10, Rose, 11, Clara, Bad Wolf TARDIS and a Dalek with a couple exclusives/variants thrown in...then 9, 12, Amy, Jack, reg TARDIS and a Cyberman in wave 2. You would have more cross-wave interest. 9 and 10, while in separate waves, both fit with Rose and Jack, 11 w/ Amy and Clara and 12 with Clara...plus potential, multiple purchases of Daleks and Cybermen, who will fit in with any Doctor. I feel like sales might've been stronger all around and retailers would be more inclined to pick up smaller waves. I never saw wave 2 at B&N and they were second only to HT in quantity for wave 1. Sure, it would take much longer to fill out the Who-niverse, but i don't think we'd be this concerned for the future of the line.

I think the smaller wave 3 will do better, but results may be skewed due to the presence of 10, 11 and 12. But I am very much looking forward to adding them all to my collection.

Also, let me add this: if I don't get a Tom Baker Curator Pop out of this line, I'm gonna be super-p!ssed. ;-)

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:55 pm

POPtor WHO wrote:I wonder if part of the trouble Doctor Who Pops are having is the large number in the first 2 waves. 9 each, just counting those pictured on the boxes. I can see Star Wars and Harry Potter supporting those kinds of numbers but, unfortunately, I don't think Doctor Who has that kind of draw overall.

Less figures per wave might've generated more "buzz" and selling 1 or 2 out of 5 is better than 1 or 2 out of 9. I'm not sure about character selection. Perhaps if wave 1 consisted of 10, Rose, 11, Clara, Bad Wolf TARDIS and a Dalek with a couple exclusives/variants thrown in...then 9, 12, Amy, Jack, reg TARDIS and a Cyberman in wave 2. You would have more cross-wave interest. 9 and 10, while in separate waves, both fit with Rose and Jack, 11 w/ Amy and Clara and 12 with Clara...plus potential, multiple purchases of Daleks and Cybermen, who will fit in with any Doctor. I feel like sales might've been stronger all around and retailers would be more inclined to pick up smaller waves. I never saw wave 2 at B&N and they were second only to HT in quantity for wave 1. Sure, it would take much longer to fill out the Who-niverse, but i don't think we'd be this concerned for the future of the line.

I think the smaller wave 3 will do better, but results may be skewed due to the presence of 10, 11 and 12. But I am very much looking forward to adding them all to my collection.

Also, let me add this: if I don't get a Tom Baker Curator Pop out of this line, I'm gonna be super-p!ssed. ;-)

I completely agree. I do feel that fi they mixed in the release of Doctors with their companions per wave, sales would have been better. Too many companions in the second wave and too many doctors in the first wave. Also there's something wrong with their marketing... a LOT of people said they could NOT find wave 2 at all.

Return to “Pop!”