HOW DO WE SAVE THE DOCTOR WHO LINE?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Victolus

Re: HOW DO WE SAVE THE DOCTOR WHO LINE?

Postby Victolus » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 pm

I've been thinking about this one for a while, and it occurs to me that a few things are going on here. The first release had villains and monsters in it. That would appeal to any collector that likes "different" looking pops, even if they aren't fans of the show. The variants were of the two recent doctors (10 and 11) that people remembered. The next wave was mostly Human companions. Kind of boring unless you are a hardcore fan of the show. The only truly interesting one was K-9, and for some reason that was made a Gamestop exclusive. It should have been the other way around (one or two companions made exclusive, and the more interesting looking ones more commonly available). Now with the next release, I'm sure Davros and Mr Clever will be the best sellers of the line. In sort, I suspect that for every Doctor Who wave to generate significant interest, it has to be a fair mix of Doctor variants AND villains. Making the companions exclusives will likely make them more sought after.

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:56 pm

That's an interesting. I was thinking the same thing... make fewer companions and make them exclusives. They will be more highly sought after and most likely land in the hands of real Doctor Who fans. However, flippers are always an issue.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:11 pm

Distribution, distribution, distribution. Can't buy what one can not find. Wave 2 was practically non-existent in my city.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:28 pm

SOOOO Funko answered my question in the q&a

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/statu ... 4742276096

I asked if Clara, Amy and Rory would be in the next wave of Doctor Who. They basically said that it would be left up to the sales of wave 3. :(

We can fantasize our dream line-up all we can... but it seems like the Doctor Who line is really in danger of ending.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:36 am

addict2films wrote:SOOOO Funko answered my question in the q&a

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/statu ... 4742276096

I asked if Clara, Amy and Rory would be in the next wave of Doctor Who. They basically said that it would be left up to the sales of wave 3. :(

We can fantasize our dream line-up all we can... but it seems like the Doctor Who line is really in danger of ending.

Ugh. I had no issues finding wave 2, so I hope the same is for wave 3, but we have to find a way to get non fans, or mild fans to buy more than just a character or two. Maybe us big fans need to buy more and gift them to people, getting others addicted and wanting more. We need some DW Pop street dealers!!
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

Infinity

Postby Infinity » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:44 pm

addict2films wrote:Who else is absolutely devastated that the next wave of Doctor Who POPS may be the last??

I adore the new wave already, especially 12 with the guitar and 11/Mr. Clever... however, I'm still disappointed that there isn't Amy. Rory and most of all Clara.

Turns out the second wave did so poorly that the line may end.

I feel like that It's not that Doctor Who isn't a popular line... but because Funko has so many variants of Doctors and not produced other Doctors and popular nuwho companions.... (Roman Rory, Amy in her kissagram outfit, Clara in her face the raven outfit/Oswin, strax/jenny/vastra as a 3 pack etc)

How can we convince Funko not to end the line????

And Donna ! Especially Donna ! One of the most popular companion ! :-D

I would be sooo sad if it was the end of the line ! Especially because we have all these variants of Docors and just 2-3 companions. These variants are really fantastic but that's sad because of all the others characters !

I want , at least , Donna , Amy ( even if I don't like her she's important ) and Rory , Clara , The Master , Missy , Martha. And after the Classics Doctors and companions ! ( I'd like to see a Hartnell Pop in black and white ! ( why not ? ^^ )
Last edited by Infinity on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my mistakes , I'm French :-)
I hope you will understand me ! ^^

bobbybop

Postby bobbybop » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:21 am

Funko needed more recent characters in wave 2, the only recent characters were river song and the silence. The rest were RTD era charcters, good for the die-hard fans but not for fans who joined during Matt Smith's era. If there was a wave 4 my ideal line up would be Amy, Rory, Clara, Bill, a couple of classic monsters that have also appeared in the new series like a zygon, sontaran or a silurian. For exclusives there could be a roman centurion rory or Strax which would just be a sontaran but repaint.

ErgThisIs

Postby ErgThisIs » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:39 am

Clearly, too many classic figures are not the issue, as some have suggested: only 2/7 pops in Wave Two were from the classic series, and even then both characters have repeatedly appeared in the New Series (and had spin-off shows).

What’s the noticeable difference between waves one and two? There’s hardly any Doctors in the latter. Wave One had four of the show's lead stars, Wave Two just one. People are far more likely to want all incarnations of the title character than anything else, surely?

If all thirteen Doctors are not released, but the Adipose, a species that appeared in one episode eight years ago has been, then there’s no justice in the world of Funko. At least release the Doctors!

Hopefully, Wave Three will be a success. The Doctor Who line is the only pop line I collect, and I will certainly be buying War and Davros as soon as they are released (I don’t do variants).

Wave Four suggestions:

At least two more Doctors (The First Doctor should absolutely be one of them),

Martha (let’s have a non-white Who Pop),

Clara (the most recent companion),

The Brigadier (third only to Sarah Jane and K9 in legendary companion status) - This is my personal most wanted

Missy (incredibly popular),

Additionally/alternatively non-bland human looking aliens: a Sontaran, a Zygon, etc.

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:06 am

Hoping the line continues, my son is a huge fan and I can always count on DW pops for birthday and Christmas presents. As someone else pointed out earlier, maybe buy more to gift them to others to create more awareness and sales.
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

ghostpimp4ever

Postby ghostpimp4ever » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:50 pm

I hope the line continues because I love Doctor Who. The only character I liked from wave 2 was Rose. I will be getting 11, 12 and War Doctor from wave 3. It is sad that this series of pops is not selling well. I think that Doctor Who is on break this year is not helping either.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Disappointing that the lines not doing well. I myself am not a major league Whovian but I do watch and love the show and have adored the pops. Of course all I have is all 3 Daleks, a TARDIS and K-9 but I always wanted the rest.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:56 am

Its funny to read all the comments about suggestions of which pops and what can save the line. But all i keep seeing is "I do not do Variants" I dont buy variants" Well that is part of the problem right there. I am sure a lot of people feel that way. However, that is what funko does it makes variants of the most popular characters because thats what sells.

fix that mind set of the avergae fan and the line is saved
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:26 am

hailmary25 wrote:Its funny to read all the comments about suggestions of which pops and what can save the line. But all i keep seeing is "I do not do Variants" I dont buy variants" Well that is part of the problem right there. I am sure a lot of people feel that way. However, that is what funko does it makes variants of the most popular characters because thats what sells.

fix that mind set of the avergae fan and the line is saved

Funny, I was just thinking this basically before I came into this thread. Anyone who says they are a Doctor Who fan and doesn't want the line to die needs to do just that. Instead of buying your favorite characters, or one variant, buy them all, to help and then maybe, just maybe the line will survive and other favorite characters will get made. Hell, buy them and give them away to friends and family, or buy them and put the ones you don't like in a closet, just do what you can to support the line. I just want more made!! :D

Pops!- 716ish

Greeryboy2410

Postby Greeryboy2410 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:33 am

Despite being a Doctor Who fan all my life, I've bought a total of 2 Doctor Who Pops, one of which was a custom dalek. The line hasn't been incredible for me, all I'd need is one of each Doctor but since there are so many of just the most recent 3, I've really not seen the need to buy many from wave 2. If they had a line of purely doctors, they'd have my money
Pop Count: 80 something

Holy Grail: Green Arrow
Realistic Grail: Chase Flash
First Pop: New 52 Flash
Latest Buy: Civil War 5 pack
Latest Preorder(s): None :/

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:56 am

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. I like the line, however, I don't need a lot of variants of the 3 most popular doctors. I prefer a variety in my collection. I only have so much room and I want to display my favorite characters. I think Doctor Who is a line they could focus more on being exclusives. They would sell well at cons and keep their value. I would really like to have one of each Doctor and a companion for each Doctor with my favorite villains. If only I had been able to get the 12th doctor in the space Suit to complete my trilogy.

The 12th Doctor was dark and every time they go dark the ratings go down, hopefully, the next Doctor will be more on the campy side and bring back the average fans.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

T-Diamond Stylus

Postby T-Diamond Stylus » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 pm

I bought all of series 1 and 2 except the doctor variants, so with wave 3 I'll only be getting War Doctor and Davros. Don't care for variants as I'm a pretty casual fan of the show. Sucks that they won't continue it cause of sales but I'd rather they continue with Doctor Who then something like twilight, pride predjudice and zombies or Crimson peak. And if sales are what Funko are truly focused on then I think they should focus on lines and brands that are sure sellers. No need to get every brand under the sun as its obvious they don't care about anything but sales.
Image Image Image Image

Infinity

Postby Infinity » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:56 pm

T-Diamond Stylus wrote:I bought all of series 1 and 2 except the doctor variants, so with wave 3 I'll only be getting War Doctor and Davros. Don't care for variants as I'm a pretty casual fan of the show. Sucks that they won't continue it cause of sales but I'd rather they continue with Doctor Who then something like twilight, pride predjudice and zombies or Crimson peak. And if sales are what Funko are truly focused on then I think they should focus on lines and brands that are sure sellers. No need to get every brand under the sun as its obvious they don't care about anything but sales.

I agree , they don't need to do all these variants ( even if they're amazing ) instead of new and important other characters but Twilight has a huge fanbase and it's more profitable ( but DW has a huge fanbase too so I don't understand why Pops don't work ) and Crimson peak is a good film by Del Toro who is a great and amazing film-maker. You can't compare that to somethings like Twilight or Pride predjudice and zombies ! :-)
Sorry for my mistakes , I'm French :-)
I hope you will understand me ! ^^

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Doctor Who is one of my favorite lines and I hope they keep making many, for years to come. Super excited to get all the new ones, and was also super excited for the last wave. Sarah Jane and K-9 were very welcome. I wouldn't mind Amy, Rory and Clara but I'd sooner see more Doctors and aliens. Also, Captain Jack and Rose Tyler Pops made wave 2 for me. Could have lived without River Song(ever) or the Silence. Neat, but more iconic villains should have come first like a Cyber leader, Davros(I know he's coming now), The Master, Ice Warrios, Autons, even Zygons!

One of the Doctor Who's best selling point is the extensive gallery of cool looking and unusual monsters. They could do a wave just focused on the, and that could do well.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:45 pm

Picked up 12 with guitar today... he rocks!

Yes, I went there.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Tany

Postby Tany » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:00 pm

I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but during one of the question days on Funko's twitter they said the DW line wasn't in any danger...
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Ohayou, I'm Tany-Chan~!!
Instagram: moonlarkly // Twitch: tanypop

*:・゚✧ ✧・゚:*

Pop #: Who knows? // First: Harley Quinn #34.
Newest: ECCC Haul // Wanted: Glitter Sailor Moon!
Holy Grails: White Raven & Amidala

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:22 pm

Tany wrote:I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but during one of the question days on Funko's twitter they said the DW line wasn't in any danger...

Best news I have heard all day!
ISO Pockets Snapsie

popoy

Postby popoy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:40 pm

We need more Tardis variants. And of course Rory and Amy!
Popoy
Pop Count: 135
Collects My Hero Academia, Stranger Things, Rick and Morty, Futurama, and sets that I like

Blake85

Postby Blake85 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Matt Smith will be at nycc this year.
Prob gonna charge a lot for autographs
Hopefully i can bump into him outside lol
Follow me on instagram @popwars and @gojirawars

ISO : Resident Evil Protos :
Jill Valentine , Hunter , Licker , Leon S Kennedy

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:56 pm

Tany wrote:I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but during one of the question days on Funko's twitter they said the DW line wasn't in any danger...

1. The Funko marketing team and the actual lead designers/supervisors of the Doctor Who line have poor communication. The lead director of the Doctor Who line commented on this blog (another thread, BRING ON DOCTOR WHO POPS) and said that they planned to have 5 new sculpts in wave 3, but was scrapped BECAUSE of the poor sales of wave 2. If you scroll back on this post, I actually asked Funko the same question in a Q&A LAST FRIDAY and asked about new characters... in short, they replied, it will DEPEND ON THE SALES OF WAVE 3.

2. FYI for those going to NYCC for Matt Smith, Karen Gillian, Jenna Coleman.
Matt's Autograph is around $100
Karen/Jenna is around $60 each.

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:10 pm

addict2films wrote:

1. The Funko marketing team and the actual lead designers/supervisors of the Doctor Who line have poor communication. The lead director of the Doctor Who line commented on this blog (another thread, BRING ON DOCTOR WHO POPS) and said that they planned to have 5 new sculpts in wave 3, but was scrapped BECAUSE of the poor sales of wave 2. If you scroll back on this post, I actually asked Funko the same question in a Q&A LAST FRIDAY and asked about new characters... in short, they replied, it will DEPEND ON THE SALES OF WAVE 3.

2. FYI for those going to NYCC for Matt Smith, Karen Gillian, Jenna Coleman.
Matt's Autograph is around $100
Karen/Jenna is around $60 each.

Thanks for the info so it sounds like the fate is still in the air. While I love having my things autographed I just can't justify paying that much. I understand why people do. I love my signed Evil Ash figure, even in it's very yellow state. Maybe they'll write books and stay to sign anything else like Bruce did.
ISO Pockets Snapsie

Tany

Postby Tany » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:20 pm

addict2films wrote:
If you scroll back on this post, I actually asked Funko the same question in a Q&A LAST FRIDAY and asked about new characters... in short, they replied, it will DEPEND ON THE SALES OF WAVE 3.

To be fair, they say 'it will DEPEND ON THE SALES' for every pop line ever, but thank you for the caps. I understand better when things are in caps. (◕‿◕✿)
Ohayou, I'm Tany-Chan~!!

ghostpimp4ever

Postby ghostpimp4ever » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:32 pm

mohawkjones wrote:Picked up 12 with guitar today... he rocks!

Yes, I went there.

Where did you find him?

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Not sure where in stores but he is available for pre-order on Amazon.
ISO Pockets Snapsie

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Tany wrote:
addict2films wrote:
If you scroll back on this post, I actually asked Funko the same question in a Q&A LAST FRIDAY and asked about new characters... in short, they replied, it will DEPEND ON THE SALES OF WAVE 3.

To be fair, they say 'it will DEPEND ON THE SALES' for every pop line ever, but thank you for the caps. I understand better when things are in caps. (◕‿◕✿)

true. but it was really the lead on the Doctor Who Line who really made it sound like that would actually pull the plug on the line. I only used caps, cause i figured you didn't read the earlier posts/or do any research about the topic. I mean why the heck have this thread if the line wasn't actually wasn't in danger right? (◕‿◕✿)

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:10 pm

ghostpimp4ever wrote:

Yes, I went there.

Where did you find him?

He's available in some local comic book shops in California already according to a friend on mine on the west coast. :DDDD

Tany

Postby Tany » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm

addict2films wrote:
Tany wrote:
addict2films wrote:If you scroll back on this post, I actually asked Funko the same question in a Q&A LAST FRIDAY and asked about new characters... in short, they replied, it will DEPEND ON THE SALES OF WAVE 3.

true. but it was really the lead on the Doctor Who Line who really made it sound like that would actually pull the plug on the line. I only used caps, cause i figured you didn't read the earlier posts/or do any research about the topic. I mean why the heck have this thread if the line wasn't actually wasn't in danger right? (◕‿◕✿)

Okay look. I literally said 'I didn't see it mentioned', which would imply I read through this thread before commenting. However, I'm not a fan of DW, so no, I didn't 'research' before reaching out and offering a potential note of reassurance for scared fans of the line. Next time I'll put in the time and effort to thoroughly 'think before I type' to avoid angry backlash of someone on the internet mockingly using my emoji back at me. Cheers.
Ohayou, I'm Tany-Chan~!!

addict2films

Postby addict2films » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:39 pm

Tany wrote:
addict2films wrote:
Tany wrote:

Okay look. I literally said 'I didn't see it mentioned', which would imply I read through this thread before commenting. However, I'm not a fan of DW, so no, I didn't 'research' before reaching out and offering a potential note of reassurance for scared fans of the line. Next time I'll put in the time and effort to thoroughly 'think before I type' to avoid angry backlash of someone on the internet mockingly using my emoji back at me. Cheers.

you're the best! (◕‿◕✿)

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:13 am

Yes, I went there.

They are out?

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 am

hailmary25 wrote:

Yes, I went there.

They are out?

Oh man! The east always gets stuff late, but I'll keep an eye out this weekend when I'm Pop Hunting!!!

Pops!- 716ish

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 am

Question, I keep seeing that people have picked up POPs that are only pre-order on amazon. Does Amazon get POPs later than stores? It says the Doctor won't be released until September 10th.
ISO Pockets Snapsie

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:31 am

ghostpimp4ever wrote:

Yes, I went there.

Where did you find him?

A local boutique toy store got them all but War Doctor in on Tuesday. They are a direct Funko retailer.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:32 am

hailmary25 wrote:

Yes, I went there.

They are out?

Yup! All but War Doctor it seems...

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:33 am

addict2films wrote:
ghostpimp4ever wrote:

Yes, I went there.

Where did you find him?

He's available in some local comic book shops in California already according to a friend on mine on the west coast. :DDDD

This. Local vinyl toy shop in Northern NV.

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:37 am

Darn you west coast. I really hate tracking Pops like the HT exclusive when they show on up on west coast and they take up to two weeks to reach us on the east coast.

Save the line buy the variants do it for the greater good.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:07 pm

kdempire.com is the shop, he has them online and I believe does a $5 flat rate shipping too (I do store pick-up). Small local guy so I like supporting him. He had Mr Clever, 12 with guitar, 10 with hand & Davaros in stock yesterday. Said War Doctor is arriving on Friday.

Return to “Pop!”