Let's see your Pop Rides (and Dorbz Ridez) prototypes!!!!

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
treswright

Let's see your Pop Rides (and Dorbz Ridez) prototypes!!!!

Postby treswright » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:00 pm

Well at this point probably most everyone here knows what a freak I am for Pop Rides :-) If you haven't seen it I made a thread showing my complete collection of them here:

http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=73038

My addiction extends to Dorbz Ridez too. I have them all and am currently working on a project to make some display space for them and more of my collection of other Funko goodies. I'm also really fascinated by prototypes for Rides and Ridez, but I've hardly seen any! So I'm creating this thread to put the call out, please post your Pop Rides and Dorbz Ridez protos, let's create a virtual collection of them! :-D

I'll start with my own collection, which sadly is a collection of one lol But it's a GREAT one! Merryn and her sub! I just recently purchased her from Gemini and in fact she just arrived today. Here she is with her production counterpart:

EDIT 02-25-17: I have a few new Rides protos in my collection, here they are!

EDIT 04-14-17: Added this beauty to the collection courtesy of Gemini!

And this is courtesy a former Funko employee:

EDIT 02-27-17: The Funko Shop has given away a couple of prototypes to random Fun Klub members, here are the pictures of them that were sent out with the emails:

Bo Wolfe posted this staggering shot on IG (birdmanbo):

I have also saved some photos of other people's protos over the last year, from these forums, Facebook and Instagram. I'll post these that were on my laptop and then follow up with some more Monday that are still on my phone:

"thequeenofgates" is one of Funko's designers, and if you don't know, a lot of the prototypes go to the designers as part of the design review process before production starts (this is the reason for protos in the first place). She posts some fun photos of protos on IG, usually posed with other characters she has laying around.

White Harry Potter train:

White Daryl's Chopper:

White Dorbz Ridez Wonder Woman's Jet:

"amandadinosaur" on IG is a Funko sculptor, here's a proto that she posted on IG:

I also grabbed this pic off IG, not sure if it's someone on our forums but I do know that a LOT of us were jealous after narrowly missing this one when it was recently posted up for sale by Gemini! What an awesome score for someone! Freddy's Ride with production version:

Another awesome pic of a Freddys Ride proto courtesy of mithril_von_fuzz (Rani):

I can't remember where I saw this one, I think it was in an older thread here? Let us know if it's yours! Hard not to love a totally blacked out Batmobile :-)

This was posted by Stinkycat91 last year after fundays. Ecto-1:

And this one, oh man do I love it! I saw this on IG but the person that posted it had grabbed it off of FB, so I don't know who the credit belongs to but what a beauty it is! Daenerys and Drogon:

This is a sweet Delorean prototype that is part of galactusross's collection:

That's all I have for now! Please post anything you might have as well! I've shared some messages with Craig/ Alleycat and he has a few, so hopefully he'll have time to post his too :-)

EDIT 09-19: here are a few more pics that I had on my phone, finally got them transferred to my web space:

This is one I got off of IG, I don't know who the credit belongs to as it was a repost. One of these sold on eBay not too long ago, if I remember right it went for around 300. The jet is really no different than the production version though, since the production version has no paint.

This Mean Machine was posted on eBay, alas no Muttley:

This was posted by fellow Funatic "arisensun", great collection of protos with a nice Crystal Ship front and center!

This was also posted on the forums by a Funatic (a99kitten), white Dorbz Ridez WW and jet proto:

Reis posted this on IG, a nice white Dorbz Ridez Mystery Machine proto with the driver swapped to Stan Lee!

EDIT 09-21-16 hpellot provided some awesome pics of his collection down below in this thread, I'm reposting them here with the others:

And Kroffty posted this cool pic in another thread I posted asking about goggles-down Muttley protos (PS, if anyone has one they're willing to get rid of I need him for my Mean Machine proto :-) ):

EDIT 11-13-16 Here's an Indy's Ride proto in Poncho Pete's collection, and a couple of protos that Gemini sold over the weekend:

EDIT 04-10-17 Here are a few new protos that have popped up recently:

First this is a Phooeymobile prototype that was posted on eBay by one of the Funko designers ("victoria_dexter"):

And here's a proto of the Pop Deluxe Taun Taun that was posted on Instagram by another Funko designer ("thequeenofgates"):

And here is a proto of the Dorbz Batmobile that was posted on IG by "toymonster":

EDIT 04-17-17 Here's another Indy's Ride proto and a cool yellow sub proto from galactusross:

Last edited by treswright on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:35 am, edited 14 times in total.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

hpellot

Re: Let's see your Pop Rides (and Dorbz Ridez) prototypes!!!!

Postby hpellot » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:11 pm

I have six
Freddy in ride
Wobbler scar face ride
Dorbz Wonder Woman plane
Adventure time ride with Jake
mean machine
deadpool truck
Last edited by hpellot on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:20 pm

I don't have any but I wanted to say thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait to see what others post. Protos may be an squired taste but they are sweeeet!

Lara

Looking for Care Bear Protos

michellepop
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby michellepop » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:24 pm

If someone has the Lola and Coulson proto, I just may faint at the sight of it!

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:29 pm

treswright wrote:Well at this point probably most everyone here knows what a freak I am for Pop Rides :-) If you haven't seen it I made a thread showing my complete collection of them here:

White Harry Potter train:

:-)

Wow. That HP train. Takes my breath away.
I wouldn't even begin to know where to get a dorbz ride proto. I've gotten pop protos from fundays... but rides??
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:34 am

The Ant-Tony proto has to be stunning. It's still my favorite Ride. (Until we finally get the Milano)
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:52 am

hpellot wrote:I have four
Freddy in ride
Wobbler scar face ride
Dorbz Wonder Woman plane
Adventure time ride with Jake

Very nice!! Any chance you could take some pics of them?

Kitzka wrote:I don't have any but I wanted to say thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait to see what others post. Protos may be an squired taste but they are sweeeet!

Lara

No problem! I've been wanting to do it for quite some time, but when I finally managed to get my one and only Ride proto I decided now is the time :-)

michellepop wrote:If someone has the Lola and Coulson proto, I just may faint at the sight of it!

When I was looking at all the Rides over the weekend trying to decide which ones I'd love to see the protos for, that was one of them and so was....

HowardTheDuck wrote:The Ant-Tony proto has to be stunning.

...that one!

Vinyl4Blood wrote:Wow. That HP train. Takes my breath away.
I wouldn't even begin to know where to get a dorbz ride proto. I've gotten pop protos from fundays... but rides??

Apparently Rides have been given out at Fundays. I'm pretty sure that's where Stinkycat91 posted that she got that Ecto-1 up above. Several have been sold through Gemini as well. I was surprised to see the pic of the HP train in white, I didn't know they made Rides prototypes in white until I saw that pic. It does look cool!

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:54 am

The freddy rides protos are amazing!
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:13 pm

Added 5 more pics to the first post, that's pretty much all the photos I have from seeing them pop up now and then over the last year.

Sarcasticguy wrote:The freddy rides protos are amazing!

Isn't it? Would have loved to have gotten one! Which reminds me of a question I have-

Does anyone know if they make prototypes of every color of a release, or just the first color variant? For example there have been 5 color variants of the Batmobile but I've only seen a proto of the first one (black). Likewise there have been two color variants of Freddy's Ride but I've never seen a proto of the red one.

MasterSplyntr

Postby MasterSplyntr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Awesome pics Tres! Thanks for putting them all together in one thread. So much drooling going on lol
I be Chris

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:45 pm

treswright wrote:Apparently Rides have been given out at Fundays. I'm pretty sure that's where Stinkycat91 posted that she got that Ecto-1 up above. Several have been sold through Gemini as well. I was surprised to see the pic of the HP train in white, I didn't know they made Rides prototypes in white until I saw that pic. It does look cool!

I was always under the impression that Gemini either won them at Fundays, or simply bought from other people and sold them on their website. I didn't know they were getting some stuff DIRECTLY from Funko. Wow. how do us normal Funatics get that opportunity? Or does Funko send them goodies as a perk.. .since they sell so much product?
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks Chris, glad you like it :-)

Wes, I'm pretty sure Gemini is buying the protos from Funko and then reselling them as a retailer like they do other Funko products. I'm sure it's a perk of having a long-standing relationship with Funko. Gemini isn't the only one, Fugitive Toys also gets protos from Funko to resell. For most of us our best shot is Fundays, buy from a fellow Funatic, or buy from Gemini/ Fugitive. Many of the protos stay in the hands of designers too, if you look through FB and IG you'll see some really cool photos of protos lined up in their cubicles. A while back one of the designers posted a pic of a cardboard box full of protos that he had laying around.

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:52 pm

treswright wrote:Thanks Chris, glad you like it :-)

Wes, I'm pretty sure Gemini is buying the protos from Funko and then reselling them as a retailer like they do other Funko products. I'm sure it's a perk of having a long-standing relationship with Funko. Gemini isn't the only one, Fugitive Toys also gets protos from Funko to resell. For most of us our best shot is Fundays, buy from a fellow Funatic, or buy from Gemini/ Fugitive. Many of the protos stay in the hands of designers too, if you look through FB and IG you'll see some really cool photos of protos lined up in their cubicles. A while back one of the designers posted a pic of a cardboard box full of protos that he had laying around.

thanks for the info. I'll have to keep a closer eye on Gemini and Fugitive then.
"OMG.. I need that"

alf_ie

Postby alf_ie » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:57 pm

Wow! Never knew that Rides/Ridez protos made it out to the public. First time I've seen any. Great post.
Fundays
2014 San Diego
2015 San Diego
2016 San Diego
2017 San Diego
2022 San Diego
2023 San Diego

Funkoween
2016 San Diego

Making Fun Movie Premiere
2018 Hollywood

FunKon
2021 Hollywood

IN SEARCH OF: 2011 Funko Freddy Flav any color
IN SEARCH OF: 2023 Funko Freddy Lex Luthor

mithril_von_fuzz

Postby mithril_von_fuzz » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 pm

Love seeing Ride prototypes!! I really want those HP train protos. The only Ride proto I have is the Freddy car, but I love it!

I'm Rani (pronounced Ron-nie). It's Indian yo

ISO Holy Grail Friends Wave 2 Protos!

Also LF

Freddy Buzz Proto
Conan Protos
Simpsons Wave 2 Protos

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:30 pm

mithril_von_fuzz wrote:Love seeing Ride prototypes!! I really want those HP train protos. The only Ride proto I have is the Freddy car, but I love it!

Great photo of a beautiful prototype!! Thanks for sharing! I'll add it to the first post.

sushiguru

Postby sushiguru » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:55 pm

I love that Ride Proto.

CAHRULL
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby CAHRULL » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:12 am

These are so rad, I hope more people post theirs. Rani I'm in love with that Freddy ride proto!
Hi, I'm Alex! IG: @CAHRULL_AZ

alex_dewitt

Postby alex_dewitt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:39 pm

mithril_von_fuzz wrote:Love seeing Ride prototypes!! I really want those HP train protos. The only Ride proto I have is the Freddy car, but I love it!

Aw man, I totally fell in love with it when I saw it for the first time! So jealous!

nyel24

Postby nyel24 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:43 pm

that proto is awesome. congrats on that beaut.

popninja

Postby popninja » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Wow cool pics

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:05 pm

ImageImageImage

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:07 pm

ImageImageImage

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:08 pm

ImageImageImage

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:09 pm

ImageImageImage

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:23 pm

ImageImageImage

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:11 pm

Thank you hpellot, those are great! I'm really digging on Jake/Finn, so cool! :-) And Muttley AND Dick Dasterdly, very nice collection! I'll add your pics to the first post.

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:19 am

hpellot wrote:Image

Was the POP! for that proto, in between Dick Dastardly and Ricochet Rabbit, ever released?
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Was the POP! for that proto, in between Dick Dastardly and Ricochet Rabbit, ever released?

no it was not yet released
ImageImageImage

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:26 pm

I've had these on my windowsill for a few days, when it's getting dark outside I just think they look really cool silhouetted against the blinds :-)

arisensun

Postby arisensun » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:12 am

This is a wonderful thread! Thank you for the kinds words about my crystal ship proto.

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:27 pm

arisensun wrote:This is a wonderful thread! Thank you for the kinds words about my crystal ship proto.

You're welcome, you have an awesome collection and thank you for letting me steal your photo :-D

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:37 pm

The pop ride Proto was added
ImageImageImage

treswright

Postby treswright » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Have a few additions, Poncho Pete was lucky enough to nab the Indy's Ride proto off of Gemini, congrats!!

Over the weekend Gemini also listed these beauties:

chezpopp

Postby chezpopp » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Beatles unmade yellow submarine was up on fugitive when they had their proto sale. Should have snagged a screen shot.

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:29 am

I added this to the first post, it's a pic I ran across a while back somewhere here on the forums posted by galactusross. I was going through some old photos I had saved from the forums and found it.

chezpopp wrote:Beatles unmade yellow submarine was up on fugitive when they had their proto sale. Should have snagged a screen shot.

I don't think it was intended to be a Ride though was it? If I remember right it's about the size of a Pop. But a Pop Ride of it would have been awesome!!

chezpopp

Postby chezpopp » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:48 am

treswright wrote:I added this to the first post, it's a pic I ran across a while back somewhere here on the forums posted by galactusross. I was going through some old photos I had saved from the forums and found it.

chezpopp wrote:Beatles unmade yellow submarine was up on fugitive when they had their proto sale. Should have snagged a screen shot.

I don't think it was intended to be a Ride though was it? If I remember right it's about the size of a Pop. But a Pop Ride of it would have been awesome!!

Not sure. It did not have a banana for scale so I am not sure of the size. I guess I assumed it was.

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:11 pm

chezpopp wrote:Not sure. It did not have a banana for scale so I am not sure of the size. I guess I assumed it was.

I dug around and found the photo I was thinking of, it was posted by icemanfan44 a while back:

A Ride version would be so cool though :-)

chezpopp

Postby chezpopp » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:29 pm

treswright wrote:
chezpopp wrote:Not sure. It did not have a banana for scale so I am not sure of the size. I guess I assumed it was.

I dug around and found the photo I was thinking of, it was posted by icemanfan44 a while back:

A Ride version would be so cool though :-)

Oh cool. Missed oppurtunity that it was never made and that it wasn't a ride. I just assumed.

bryan_sato54

Postby bryan_sato54 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:25 am

Kitzka wrote:I don't have any but I wanted to say thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait to see what others post. Protos may be an squired taste but they are sweeeet!

Lara

i definitely want to see your collection \:D/ \:D/
Hi Im Bryan & Im Pop Collector & Back to the Future Collector as well. \:D/

INSTAGRAM : BRTS054

Return to “Pop!”