How to set up a Pop display?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Matthew32003

How to set up a Pop display?

Postby Matthew32003 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:49 pm

So I have 35 pops in my collection, and I had a display set up, but of course I'm running out of room with that display, so now I have to come up with something else. I would like to keep the Pops out of box while keeping the boxes. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I could do?
Matthew
Fleming Island, FL
Pop Collection: 51
Collections: Animation, Games, DC, Marvel, Star Wars, Television
Hunting: Too Many
Holy Grail: Metallic Green Goblin

Fawny

Re: How to set up a Pop display?

Postby Fawny » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:53 pm

I always go back and forth on how I want to display mine. That is why they are all still in boxes in my closet. But I think this thread gives the best ideas...

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=28313
Image Image
Courtesies: SPN Sig: ChinoX Team Badges: valorandvellum Team Tardis: hailmary25

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:48 pm

I started out using old DVD shelves and my fireplace mantel to display my OOB collection. Now I have 5 detolf display cases from IKEA with foam board risers that fit 80 or more pops inside each.
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Strending625 wrote:I started out using old DVD shelves and my fireplace mantel to display my OOB collection. Now I have 5 detolf display cases from IKEA with foam board risers that fit 80 or more pops inside each.

The joys of being a Funko collector...lol I'm surprised Funko isn't selling shelving systems and cases by now :roflmao:
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:55 pm

I use a detolf, some ikea shelves and custom risers for my display.

As for boxes, you can actually fold down the boxes and inserts into plastic storage containers and save lots of space!
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Got an IKEA close to you? I love my Detolf cabinets, but have also found lots of other awesome shelving units there.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:41 am

Spend an hour or so looking through the sticky at the top of the forum called "Your display the Funko way". It is an absolute wealth of information on displaying Pops and other Funko goodies both in box and out of box.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

TanyaTate

Postby TanyaTate » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:59 pm

Detolf and acrylic risers!
WANTED: Hanna Barbara Huckleberry Hound POP Dark Purple, Light Purple, Orange, Red, Pink, Green and Dorbz Purple, Orange
My Youtube Channel

Peachtree

Postby Peachtree » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:41 pm

Like everyone said, Detolf is the best if you can. Really you can use a bookshelf and stack boxes on top of eachother to act as risers to put Pop!s on. Michaels sells baseball bat cases that hang on the wall and store about ten Pop!s. I use empty cigar boxes as risers in my bookshelf.
My name is Samuel, nice to meet you!
Instagram: PeachtreeFunko
ISO: Astro Boy T-Shirt Scott Pilgrim

Flex Luthor

Postby Flex Luthor » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:37 am

I agree with everyone else. If I were to do an OOB display I would just get some detolfs and acrylic risers. Then flatten out the boxes and call it a day.
Hi! I'm Mark
Proto ISO - Anything X-Men, Funko HQ Hulk, Vegito, Jango Fett, Mando Jet Pack, My Hero Academia, Kakashi Lighting Blade

emk194

Postby emk194 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:20 am

There's no real "way" to display Funko. It's all about how you like to display them and go from there.

But I'll echo everyone else's thoughts here - Detolfs are awesome. I personally love how Pops are displayed in 'em.
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

Thrillofthehunt

Postby Thrillofthehunt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:51 am

I just bought some clear shelves from jmk displays. Decent prices
:freddy3: Image ImageImage

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm REALLY hoping to get a couple detolfs next year with my tax return. When I was at my only Ikea this year they didn't have any, so I was kind of annoyed. The cost to order them online and get them shipped is more than the display itself, so I'll never do it that way. If they fail me in a few months I'll be resorting to book shelves. :/

As for now, I have a ton of the Ikea floating shelves I use, it was originally called Ribba and now Mosslanda and they are a little larger, which makes them a little worse for displaying upside down, but aside from that they work very well. The hard part for me is keeping them sturdy and straight so they line up with everything else.

Good luck!
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 750ish
Dorbz: 35
Mystery Minis: 33
Sodas: 7
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:12 pm

TanyaTate wrote:Image

I like your videos. Your toy collection videos and your other videos as well. Bravo. :-"
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

edmomo

Postby edmomo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:42 pm

I have 2 detolfs and bought acrylic risers for them but never ended up taking anything out of the box at home. now my risers are at work to display the few OOB and minis I have. So fail for me. I'm just hesitant because I don't want to have to deal with packing them back in if I move since I'm not in what I'd consider my final forever home yet.

I'm more curious how everyone rearranges their displays as new pieces come out that technically could fit with their prior set ups. I think it would drive me mad.
Instagram: thepop_life

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ark52

Postby Ark52 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Awesome display Tanya! Where do you get your risers from?

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Ark52 wrote:

Awesome display Tanya! Where do you get your risers from?

Australia :razz: They are nice though!

Always jelly of your Disney collection Tanya! \:D/
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm

If you want an IKEA route that skips the risers look at the shallow BESTA shelf frame. It is only 8" deep and you can layer multiple shelfs for maximum display. They have wood (ahem, particle board) and glass shelves (which are nice since they let light through = less shadow).

I use this system for my tin space toy collection and it works really well. I've considered converting over to it for my Hikari but a few (at least Godzilla) may be too deep for the 8" shelf.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60245919/
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:34 pm

mohawkjones wrote:If you want an IKEA route that skips the risers look at the shallow BESTA shelf frame. It is only 8" deep and you can layer multiple shelfs for maximum display. They have wood (ahem, particle board) and glass shelves (which are nice since they let light through = less shadow).

I use this system for my tin space toy collection and it works really well. I've considered converting over to it for my Hikari but a few (at least Godzilla) may be too deep for the 8" shelf.

This is an awesome idea! I need to start thinking about reorganizing and I really like this. I think these shelves and some Detolfs may be the way to go.

Some people also really like the baseball bat cases from Micheal's. You can take the doors off and fit Pops/Dorbz inside and on top. They make nice wall mounted shelving. I've seen some add lighting inside, too. Toro423 has some displayed like that, I believe. Check it out here: http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewtopic.php?t=32775
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:04 pm

StarWarner wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:If you want an IKEA route that skips the risers look at the shallow BESTA shelf frame. It is only 8" deep and you can layer multiple shelfs for maximum display. They have wood (ahem, particle board) and glass shelves (which are nice since they let light through = less shadow).

This is an awesome idea! I need to start thinking about reorganizing and I really like this. I think these shelves and some Detolfs may be the way to go.

Some people also really like the baseball bat cases from Micheal's. You can take the doors off and fit Pops/Dorbz inside and on top. They make nice wall mounted shelving. I've seen some add lighting inside, too. Toro423 has some displayed like that, I believe. Check it out here: viewtopic.php?t=32775

Nice thing is that these are both stackable or wall mountable. They sell a bunch of extra parts for the system, included legs of various heights as well as wall mount brackets for a floating effect. They hook together very easily and include snap on connector brackets for the back to secure them together. I've gone 3 high stacked for my tin toys and it's easy and secure.

I like the baseball bat cases but personally I think they look better as a highlight display. They are not particularly practical from a cost/space standpoint for a large collection. I do like when I see them with a self contained themed series, but once you have 13 of them mounted to a wall they start looking a wee bit cumbersome. ;)
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

emily

Postby emily » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:45 pm

I'm using the Ikea BILLY bookshelf because it also has movable shelves which you can buy extras of. It's pretty tall so I'm using the bottom two shelves for actual books, until I get enough POPs to fill it up!
Emily

Hachiman

Postby Hachiman » Sun May 27, 2018 2:55 am

Acrylic Risers and Glass Cases look great.

Modular Bookshelves are another idea.

The "box wall" is a class for in-box collectors.

Personally, I built my own shelves using L brackets and wood from Home Depot.
Cheaper than buying dedicated furniture and I can make my shelves span the entire length of each room's wall!
ImageImage

PopYouOff

Postby PopYouOff » Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 am

Sarcasticguy wrote:I use a detolf, some ikea shelves and custom risers for my display.

As for boxes, you can actually fold down the boxes and inserts into plastic storage containers and save lots of space!

the ikea shelves have been the best pickups for my collection
actually used the old dvd cases they had and measured the shelving just right
i was able to add three extra shelves giving me the maximum space
:freddy2: What Would You Do For A Funko

PopYouOff

Postby PopYouOff » Sun May 27, 2018 3:36 am

Thrillofthehunt wrote:I just bought some clear shelves from jmk displays. Decent prices

i added some led lights around to make them pop
add some if you havent
:freddy2: What Would You Do For A Funko

FerrisGuy3

Postby FerrisGuy3 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:37 pm

I had shelves made and put the pops I enjoy the most on them. Still trying to figure out how to display the others. If I should get more cheap shelves from the store or just put them behind the others.
Hi, I’m Tom. Michigan Based Funatic collecting since 2014

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Mon May 28, 2018 1:01 am

thejosh2010 wrote:
Strending625 wrote:I started out using old DVD shelves and my fireplace mantel to display my OOB collection. Now I have 5 detolf display cases from IKEA with foam board risers that fit 80 or more pops inside each.

The joys of being a Funko collector...lol I'm surprised Funko isn't selling shelving systems and cases by now :roflmao:

It's probably in the works. lol
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

rosevanngo

Postby rosevanngo » Mon May 28, 2018 1:53 am

I started with a small batch of Pops and I really didn't have any specific ways of setting them up. I started with actually putting them into my entertainment center and people really thought they were cool. However as I purchased more I started realize that there needed to be a better system and I used some books on shelves and with comics that were representing the characters. It was a neat way to get coversations started and people immediately became intrigued with the comic/books as well.

comic book guy

Postby comic book guy » Mon May 28, 2018 5:14 am

It really is going to be time for me to make the drive out to my closest IKEA store soon. It's about 2 hours away but those Detlof cabinets look prefect to display some of my pops and other figures! Does anyone know if they will ship to store for free if they don't have them in stock?
:king: Mike

Swatrob

Postby Swatrob » Mon May 28, 2018 11:04 am

I bought large floating shelves and staggered them, I’m starting to run out of room but they hold a lot. I keep mine in box unless the box is damaged. But I think it’s cool to have the box behind and put the pop in front of it. Don’t put the figure on top because eventually the weight of the figure will make the box start to sag.
Walking Dead Super Fan, collector of random sets, Harry Potter, Star Wars, horror, Disney, and a few other here and there. Funko Funclub member. Have luckily attended Fundays, collecting since early 2000’s.

LatinFunko

Postby LatinFunko » Tue May 29, 2018 12:21 pm

I started with Bookcases from Ikea. Floating shelves work well too.
OWNER
http://www.thefunexchange.com

IG & Facebook @thefunexchange

Image :wwe5: Image

Fundays 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2022

FDO7 Sacramento | FDO8 San Francisco

Fright Night | HQ Grand Opening | Making Fun Movie Premiere | FunKon

racheva

Postby racheva » Tue May 29, 2018 12:26 pm

I go back and forth between getting wood risers and using the boxes themselves. I have built in bookcases in the living room. Came with the house. So I'm trying to use those as opposed to displaying them elsewhere. Tho I do kinda wish I could just rip them out and start over!
SDCC 2011-2023; Fundays 2016-2022; NYCC 2014-2022; Fright Night II 2022; SWCO 2017; D23 Expo 2015/2017

jristenx

Postby jristenx » Tue May 29, 2018 1:52 pm

racheva wrote:I go back and forth between getting wood risers and using the boxes themselves. I have built in bookcases in the living room. Came with the house. So I'm trying to use those as opposed to displaying them elsewhere. Tho I do kinda wish I could just rip them out and start over!

If they keep adding Star Wars pops you may need more shelves! :SW9:

racheva

Postby racheva » Tue May 29, 2018 2:02 pm

jristenx wrote:
racheva wrote:I go back and forth between getting wood risers and using the boxes themselves. I have built in bookcases in the living room. Came with the house. So I'm trying to use those as opposed to displaying them elsewhere. Tho I do kinda wish I could just rip them out and start over!

I may need another house! :SW3:
SDCC 2011-2023; Fundays 2016-2022; NYCC 2014-2022; Fright Night II 2022; SWCO 2017; D23 Expo 2015/2017

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Tue May 29, 2018 2:18 pm

racheva wrote:
jristenx wrote:

If you get another house can I move into one? You know to keep your pops "safe"
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Tue May 29, 2018 2:26 pm

I display most of mine out of box, but i have them stand in front of their boxes. I love the art on the box and it is a nice look.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

racheva

Postby racheva » Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm

NCDS wrote:
racheva wrote:
jristenx wrote:

Oh yeah, I'll even get you a security guard outfit lol

jristenx

Postby jristenx » Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm

I've actually been talking about taking all my Caps out of the box and lining them up on my bookshelves. So far, I just have the Friends collection on the top shelf so I think ten Captain Americas would fit in well with them.....

jristenx

Postby jristenx » Tue May 29, 2018 2:40 pm

racheva wrote:
NCDS wrote:
racheva wrote:

My dog will come be the guard dog ;-) lol

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Tue May 29, 2018 2:52 pm

jristenx wrote:
racheva wrote:
NCDS wrote:

My dog will come be the guard dog ;-) lol

Yes but he hates to be alone so I better be there to keep him company! I will look hot in a security outfit!
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

superkawaii

Postby superkawaii » Tue May 29, 2018 3:39 pm

racheva wrote:
jristenx wrote:

lol Hahaha that's usually what every collector's conclusion is!
:hello2: Hello, I'm Ailyne!
Disney, Star Wars, DC, repeat.
IG: suuuperkawaii
ImageImage Image

Return to “Pop!”