Anyone else here have a warm affection for the lesser known recent licenses?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Nega

Anyone else here have a warm affection for the lesser known recent licenses?

Postby Nega » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:23 pm

I do like my Funko figures in the "Holy trinity of pop culture" (Marvel, DC and Star Wars FYI) and have plenty in those lines but there is something about the lesser known, obscure stuff that shines above everything else for me. I can't stand retro figures besides a couple of licenses (Fifth Element and Megaman etc.) and the only pre-2000 license figures I have is a Pop of Jasmine and a couple Megaman figures but can see the appeal.

What I'm talking about really, is stuff like most video game licenses that hardly get attention in merchandising (Surprisingly LoL and Overwatch are part of this) and recent popular Western animations like Steven Universe, Avatar The Last Airbender and Gravity Falls, so glad GF is finally coming in POP form.

I always get so excited when I see anything that isn't the obvious Batman or new Avengers movie or anything older than myself. Kinda hard to deal with as a Rock Candy collector but I love my BvS Wonder Woman regardless. \:D/

Anyone else caught in this situation? Are we a small population? Briiiaaaannnn, tell us you care [-o<

HowardTheDuck

Re: Anyone else here have a warm affection for the lesser known recent licenses?

Postby HowardTheDuck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:32 pm

I kind of get what you mean. I'm a BIG comic book guy and as much love as I have for the big-name characters, my true passion lies in the darker, less visited corners of comic book lore. (In case my username, avatar and general obsession didn't give that away) My favorite characters are the ones that usually draw looks of confusion when I mention them.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: Anyone else here have a warm affection for the lesser known recent licenses?

Postby CaseyJones14 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:36 pm

Sweet Tooth was my favorite surprise over the last couple months. I love random releases like that and hope it continues. The tall man from Phantasm would be a nice surprise to have :D
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

jambes
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby jambes » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:56 pm

My two favorite series to date are still Mass Effect and Borderlands. I wish they expanded more but apparently everyone but me hated Claptrap.

The Minifigure Vinyl

Postby The Minifigure Vinyl » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 am

My favorite TV series is American Horror Story, and besides Funko products there's not much American Horror Story merch on the market (only shirts), so that's why I try to make sure that they make Pop!s for every season (my favorite and most current season, Roanoke, has no Funko news and Funko doesn't reply when I ask them in the Q and A's). My biggest collections are Marvel, Heroes, and Star Wars, but I love seeing Funko do things that no other company would dare to produce!

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:34 am

jambes wrote:My two favorite series to date are still Mass Effect and Borderlands. I wish they expanded more but apparently everyone but me hated Claptrap.

I love Claptrap! He's the best!
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

Redhead01

Postby Redhead01 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 am

I think thats part of the reason why i loved the new dc legacy box. the pop is a character that isnt the norm of what has been done
http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/memb ... I5WQQ7HK1/

ISO
Maleficent(Movie)

Pintsized heroes Power Rangers Zordon, Lord Zedd, Unmasked Yellow, and Unmasked White

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:27 am

I know exactly what you mean. That's part of the reason I love my Lil Gruesome and Hanna Barbera Pops. Also, what makes me so hyped for the Disney sub box is the fact that it's gonna be based around park characters and not just the upcoming movies. I'm hoping we get some awesome lesser known Disney characters from that box *hint hint* ORANGE BIRD! lol
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:14 am

I kind of know what you mean. I have a love for Star Trek, but I seem to be in the minority as far as people who buy the pops, so the lines don't get fleshed out. One wave of TOS and one wave of TNG and that's it, which is a bummer. I have no real interest in getting the new movie Pops, I just want more of the old tv shows, and complete the main cast at least. I collect a ton of Marvel, some DC, my Harry Potter is amping up and I have a lot of horror, but I do look up at my shelf of Star Trek and feel a bit sad that they just don't seem to get much love from the fans, so Funko has no interest in making more. I could also include Firefly and Battlestar Galactica in this as well. :(

I also have a dream that someday we'll get more interesting comic characters outside of DC and Marvel, like Pitt, Spawn, Hellboy, Savage Dragon, Young Blood, etc...but I know those chances are slim to none.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:34 am

I hear you. And I feel the same way. Although I do like mainstream stuff, I like the more obscure stuff better. On the other hand, Funko has surprised us with releasing Pops I didn't think they would release.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:36 am

If it were possible, I'd love a Pop line based on Adam Warlock.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:59 am

Nega wrote:I do like my Funko figures in the "Holy trinity of pop culture" (Marvel, DC and Star Wars FYI) and have plenty in those lines but there is something about the lesser known, obscure stuff that shines above everything else for me.

I never really gave it much thought, I just buy what I like. I don't collect much from Marvel and DC. I have a lot of Star Wars Pops but lately have cut back on new purchases of them just because they're making WAY too many for me to keep up. I am complete and will forever remain complete on Pop Rides and Dorbz Ridez :-) I also try to keep my Walking Dead and Harry Potter sets complete. Will definitely get all the Resident Evil Pops. Beyond that I pick up stuff here and there that catches my eye. Have been trying to cut back on purchases but Funko makes it tough, seems like they manage to offer a lot of must-haves that I didn't know I must have, especially on the Funko Shop lol
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:02 am

jambes wrote:My two favorite series to date are still Mass Effect and Borderlands. I wish they expanded more but apparently everyone but me hated Claptrap.

Let's hope for some Andromeda Pops and Dorbz.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:42 am

I got excited when they showed Herry Monster from Sesame Street. And i havent watched that since i was you know...a little kid. But the SS pops just really work. They look great
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby toro423 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am

I really love some of the TV sets they did. Spongebob, Sons of Anarchy, and Vikings are such great sets. I also hope they milk the Overwatch line because I will get them all!
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

Peachtree

Postby Peachtree » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 am

It's not recent, but I adore my Last Man Standing Gabriel Pop!
My name is Samuel, nice to meet you!
Instagram: PeachtreeFunko
ISO: Astro Boy T-Shirt Scott Pilgrim

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Jezter wrote:I kind of know what you mean. I have a love for Star Trek, but I seem to be in the minority as far as people who buy the pops, so the lines don't get fleshed out. One wave of TOS and one wave of TNG and that's it, which is a bummer. I have no real interest in getting the new movie Pops, I just want more of the old tv shows, and complete the main cast at least. I collect a ton of Marvel, some DC, my Harry Potter is amping up and I have a lot of horror, but I do look up at my shelf of Star Trek and feel a bit sad that they just don't seem to get much love from the fans, so Funko has no interest in making more. I could also include Firefly and Battlestar Galactica in this as well. :(

I also have a dream that someday we'll get more interesting comic characters outside of DC and Marvel, like Pitt, Spawn, Hellboy, Savage Dragon, Young Blood, etc...but I know those chances are slim to none.

I love ST:TNG and thought I would surely buy the pops but I haven't. I'm not sure, I just don't particularly like them. Maybe they are just a bit too plain.

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Two words.... Golden Girls. :)
Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it.

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:00 pm

I want to get avatar the las airbender pops
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:10 pm

treswright wrote:
Nega wrote:I do like my Funko figures in the "Holy trinity of pop culture" (Marvel, DC and Star Wars FYI) and have plenty in those lines but there is something about the lesser known, obscure stuff that shines above everything else for me.

Have been trying to cut back on purchases but Funko makes it tough, seems like they manage to offer a lot of must-haves that I didn't know I must have, especially on the Funko Shop lol

I hear that. I'm someone whose main focus is Star Wars. But I love Marvel a lot. Outside of the big 3 I'd say my main love is Doctor Who. Definitely a Whovian over here and it may be the only set I have complete(including 4th Doctor Freddy!). I'm also a big fan of the Universal Classic horror Pops.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

Leftcoast

Postby Leftcoast » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:58 pm

I may be the only one that is super super excited about the Destiny pops in there new video game license, I can't wait to buy probably the 1st and only wave as well as search for my first protos! Don't get me wrong thou i still very much enjoy the "main stream" pops and collect a lot of them but I'm glad to see that Funko is expanding out and creating items that maybe not every one knows about and/or cares about. It's great to have diversity and if it doesn't work you still have 1 wave for those people excited to see that line.
ImageImageImage
Leftcoast also known as Robert
ISO:Spastik Plastic T-Bones :colors:

Azxc34

Postby Azxc34 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:15 pm

I do like the Skyrim Pops, though the game seems to have a big following I don't know how popular the Pops are. I was also really happy and surprised they made a Doraemon Pop, which I picked up almost right away.

Thrillofthehunt

Postby Thrillofthehunt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 pm

I like the Assasins Creed Syndicate pops. I also really like the enchantress rock candy, and many are giving that away lol
:freddy3: Image ImageImage

ruxy_100

ruxy_100

Postby ruxy_100 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm not sure if anything I have is 'lesser known', but I do enjoy smaller self-contained ranges of 5-10 figures.

There's something much more satisfying about how they look when displayed together.

I love my Sailor Moon, Sesame Street and Sherlock collections.

Flex Luthor

Postby Flex Luthor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:56 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:Sweet Tooth was my favorite surprise over the last couple months. I love random releases like that and hope it continues. The tall man from Phantasm would be a nice surprise to have :D

Sweet Tooth came out of left field and was a nice surprise to me too. So much so that I was going to bid on his proto on eBay but it ended at a ridiculously high price.
Hi! I'm Mark
Proto ISO - Anything X-Men, Funko HQ Hulk, Vegito, Jango Fett, Mando Jet Pack, My Hero Academia, Kakashi Lighting Blade

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Flex Luthor wrote:
Sweet Tooth came out of left field and was a nice surprise to me too. So much so that I was going to bid on his proto on eBay but it ended at a ridiculously high price.

I got that auction up to $100 and then let the professionals take over lol Such a cool POP though!
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Flex Luthor

Postby Flex Luthor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:15 pm

Yea man. That thing sat at 2 bills for a while and at that point I thought I had a chance. It got out of reach with a few min left.
Hi! I'm Mark
Proto ISO - Anything X-Men, Funko HQ Hulk, Vegito, Jango Fett, Mando Jet Pack, My Hero Academia, Kakashi Lighting Blade

racheva

Postby racheva » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:24 pm

1000thghost wrote:Two words.... Golden Girls. :)

This is what I came in here to say! I love them so much.

Also: Labyrinth.
SDCC 2011-2023; Fundays 2016-2022; NYCC 2014-2022; Fright Night II 2022; SWCO 2017; D23 Expo 2015/2017

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:38 am

I can say with all honesty that if it weren't for the more "obscure" figures, I probably wouldn't be a Pop collector at all today.

I picked up a Jason Voorhees here and a Daryl Dixon there at first, but it wasn't until the release of the Iron Giant Pop that I realized Funko was something special. There was no rhyme or reason for them to release an Iron Giant figure; the movie was still little more than a cult classic, and was still a few years off from its 15th anniversary. Funko just released it because they were fans, and knew that IG fans had so little to collect.

That's why I love the Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Nosferatu (for that matter, a lot of the horror Pops), and Scott Pilgrim Pops, and why I was so excited for the Galaxy Quest line. These aren't figures that mainstream audiences go bananas over right now, but rather smaller little niche lines that will make a small but vocal fanbase extremely happy.
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

repoman

Postby repoman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:46 am

1000thghost wrote:Two words.... Golden Girls. :)

Yep!

I bought Rose. Regretting not buying the set though. Dorothy is particularly expensive in the UK now.

TanyaTate

Postby TanyaTate » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 am

The Munsters come to mind. It's a small series that is really cool.
WANTED: Hanna Barbara Huckleberry Hound POP Dark Purple, Light Purple, Orange, Red, Pink, Green and Dorbz Purple, Orange
My Youtube Channel

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:49 am

I focus on Star Wars, Marvel, DBZ, and Fallout mostly but I really love some of my small sets that seem to be less popular. A few that come to mind are Book of Life, Thundercats, Kill Bill, and Fifth Element. I also love anime so its great to see some of those getting Pops now. The Ken Kaneki Pop from Tokyo Ghoul has one of my favorites there or the entire run of Cowboy Bebop. Oh and Golden Girls! lol
Current Pop count: 280
Current Dorbz Count: 16
Newest Pop: SSGSS Kamehameha Goku
Favorite Pop: SS2 Gohan
ISO: Not even sure anymore

NookanCranny

Postby NookanCranny » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:02 am

The pops outside of the trinity are the ones that keep me invested. I only really get specific pops because they rarely -if ever- appear as regular action figures. Whereas, for example, I could easily duck down to the shops and grab a Star Wars action figure.

I love watching the YouTube pop hunt videos when they go after more of the obscure pops instead of the generic set of "omg going to find Scarlet Spider at Walgreens Hunt" or "Stealth Suit Spiderman Hunt", or even "Metallic Red Ranger hunt"

dubbelaar

Postby dubbelaar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 am

Sweet Tooth is real cool .I would love to see more sony playstation game pop's like rachet & clank -papa the rapper -Jak & Daxter-Spyro the Dragon-and also Crash Bandicoot

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:27 am

TanyaTate wrote:The Munsters come to mind. It's a small series that is really cool.

Yes I agree!
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Return to “Pop!”