Dr.Who / Dalek Movie Pop!s Line?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
popmad2016

Dr.Who / Dalek Movie Pop!s Line?

Postby popmad2016 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:34 am

As a future alternative for the Doctor Who line to continue, it would be rather neat to have a line of Pop!s from the two 60s Dalek movies Dr.Who & The Daleks and especially from Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD! I know that this might not appeal to the Smith / Capaldi generation, but there are many nostalgic older collectors and fans of retro tv / movies in general who would be eager to snap these up if released - arguably the same people who would've bought the Lost In Space b9 robot, Robbie The Robot and classic Godzilla Pop!s.

And after all they were cinema released, available through Warner Bros. on both VHS (back in the day) and DVD...definitely worthy of some love...

I'd love to see Peter Cushing's human "Dr.Who" (especially with the scarf! and a variant without wearing spectacles)

Susan (Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD)

Susan (Dr.Who & The Daleks)

Tom Campbell, Special Constabulary, K Division (Daleks Invasion Earth 2150ad)
- interesting fact: yes modern who fans that's Bernie Cribbins who went on to play Donna's grandfather Wilf in the David Tennant era of the tv series) -
Possible 2 variants here: police outfit or blue shirt

Roboman / Robomen (two possible variants with gun and with whip)

Louise (Daleks Invasion Earth 2150ad)

Barbara (Dr.Who & The Daleks)

And LOTS! of interesting, bright coloured Daleks...presumably due to there larger size they would probably be 6" scale releases...!!
- interesting fact - some of the movie Daleks made their way into the series during Jon Pertwee's era... --
Image\

Thals (Dr.Who & The Daleks)

Pop! ride...Dalek saucer with Tom Campbell in Robosuit (or it could just come with a Roboman)...?

Who else would be interested in these???

Chase Variant
Location: The wild, wild west, a state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Re: Dr.Who / Dalek Movie Pop!s Line?

Postby Chase Variant » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:57 am

Too niche. And for Funko Pops, that is saying something.

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:32 am

Chase Variant wrote:Too niche. And for Funko Pops, that is saying something.

No, we'll just release a wave of up to x6 Clara variants instead then...definitely nothing niche about that :roflmao:

IMO this is no more niche than the Dark Crystal, Big Trouble In Little China, Forbidden Planet, Tommy Boy, Willy Wonka, Rocky & Bullwinkle or Megaman lines *shrugs* then there's others like The Rocketeer...

And for the record Daleks always sell...

Peter Cushing is well known to film aficionados, if only for his iconic role as Grand Moff Tarkin, who even re:appears in Rogue One...then there's the hammer horror films...so there would be definite interest here as well for good sales...

Admittedly the other human characters could be dropped entirely, but a Roboman would probably also sell good units, if only for their eye-catching retro sci-fi, visual appearance...
Last edited by popmad2016 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chase Variant

Postby Chase Variant » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:46 am

popmad2016 wrote:

No, we'll just release a wave of up to x6 Clara variants instead then...definitely nothing niche about that :roflmao:

IMO this is no more niche than the Dark Crystal, Big Trouble In Little China, Forbidden Planet, Tommy Boy, Willy Wonka, Rocky & Bullwinkle or Megaman lines *shrugs* then there's others like The Rocketeer...

I agree that it as niche as Tommy Boy. :D

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:51 am

Chase Variant wrote:
popmad2016 wrote:

I agree that it as niche as Tommy Boy. :D

Revised / added to my reply again, please see reasoning for a wave of at least...

- Dr.Who (Peter Cushing)
- Roboman
- Movie Daleks (maybe similar to the recently announced Star Wars Cantina set with a x3 pack of color variants)
- Thal (colorful, camp and they appear throughout the classic Doctor Who series)

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:00 am

My final thoughts are this...

The suggested wave of characters listed above and the actual movies themselves are really no more niche than any of the as-yet unreleased classic series Doctors....in particular the 1st, 6th and 8th Doctors who really are not in the minds of casual fans of the show...neither are they part of the general public's consciousness...they were not particularly memorable and that's a sad fact that cannot be denied.

However with cool sculpts they could still sell reasonably well...and with that said every character / franchise / property has it's die-hard fanbase even if it is in the minority...

I'd like to think that there's enough interest for all of them...even god forbid...Clara! :-&

Chase Variant

Postby Chase Variant » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:32 am

popmad2016 wrote:My final thoughts are this...

The suggested wave of characters listed above and the actual movies themselves are really no more niche than any of the as-yet unreleased classic series Doctors....in particular the 1st, 6th and 8th Doctors who really are not in the minds of casual fans of the show...neither are they part of the general public's consciousness...they were not particularly memorable and that's a sad fact that cannot be denied.

The difference being that the 1st, 6th, and 8th Doctors are part of the history and canon of the current show. The Cushing movies are mostly a point of contention among old school fans. And speaking as a person that wants the older Doctors, I also think they would need to be con or retailer exclusives to work. I don't think they'd sell well at general retail.

I'd like to think that there's enough interest for all of them...even god forbid...Clara! :-&

But we know that the Doctor Who line struggled once we got a wave that wasn't heavy on 10/11/12. In an alternate universe where a Star Wars line is struggling, I don't think one would argue, "Hey, you know what might sell? A line based on the Star Wars Holiday Special!"

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 am

Chase Variant wrote:
popmad2016 wrote: In an alternate universe where a Star Wars line is struggling, I don't think one would argue, "Hey, you know what might sell? A line based on the Star Wars Holiday Special!"

I'm not exactly arguing though :P *shrugs* Just a clear difference of opinion.

And...is it not better to think outside the box and come up with possible solutions to a "struggling" line, rather than just repeat the same predictable list of unreleased modern characters over and over again?

I will disagree with the above quote, as it's not really a very good comparison imo. Surely Dimensions In Time is Doctor Who's version of the Star Wars Holiday Special. Or failing that The Feast Of Steven (The Daleks' Master Plan Episode 7)...

Anyway *shrugs* that's it from me, this thread is for other voices now...sorry to have suggested something new...it's always the same with Doctor Who fans...can never just get along...no other fandom I've experienced has this problem :-" You don't get this with Star Wars that's for sure!

RyGuySlytherin

Postby RyGuySlytherin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Uhh I think you have a better chance of seeing a Zarbi Pop made, at least that would actually be canon to the series haha. A Cushing Doctor would never sell, its way too obscure and theres 0 chance of it after Wave 2 suffering in the sales department so much. It's way too risky from a business standpoint. Barely any of the Who community has heard of the Cushing films other than the real diehards. I don't even see something like that selling at a Con. I love Doctor Who and honestly I wouldn't buy it, just on the basis I would only want Pops authentic to the Canon. The argument about other films being niche like Dark Crystal, BTILC, Tommy Boy, etc is flawed because those have cult followings behind them when the Cushing films don't really have large numbers of fans. I honestly haven't met enough people to count on one hand who have seen/cherished those films. From a business standpoint it's way too risky making something in mass amounts for a property barely anyone has seen.

Return to “Pop!”